What's new

_The Last of Us_ (TV Series)

I'm surprised no one has created a thread for this yet.

Curious if anyone else has been watching it and what their thoughts are?

I love it. But, I’ve never played either game, lol.
I've never played the games either, but I do love good zombie fiction.

The series hasn't wowed me like The Walking Dead originally did, but there's potential. The second episode was definitely a pacing improvement over the premiere.

I'm not a fan of Ellie though. Not the actress, but the character herself. Very annoying.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Why would you “hate” Druckmann?
Obviously I don’t full blown hate him. I don’t like that he acts like he made TLOU in a vacuum and ignores Bruce Straley’s contributions (he isn’t even credited in any way as a creator of the source material), I don’t like how he erased and replaced Amy Hennig’s version of uncharted 4 and how she was squeezed out of naughty dog, and I don’t like the narrative that you must be a bigot if you didn’t like TLOU 2, when the majority of its haters think it’s bad for reasons that have nothing to do with sexism / transphobia / racism (they’re out there but not the majority of TLOU haters).

Neil is obviously very talented and the man has gigantic balls there is no denying, I think he has a massive ego though. Compared to Hugo Martin from id software who is humble and makes games for his fans rather than just himself.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I've never played the games either, but I do love good zombie fiction.

The series hasn't wowed me like The Walking Dead originally did, but there's potential. The second episode was definitely a pacing improvement over the premiere.

I'm not a fan of Ellie though. Not the actress, but the character herself. Very annoying.
The character is better in the game, at least at the point the show is in now. Way less bitchy, way more funny and endearing. For example : After Tess dies, show Ellie reprimands Joel and makes sure he knows it's his fault she died because they agreed to do the mission - never mind that Ellie herself would have been killed by FEDRA if they stayed in the quarantine zone. Game Ellie immediately tries to empathize with Joel after this scene and it is instead Joel who lashes out at her, which makes way more sense. She understands her situation and respects the dependence she has on Joel.

However, I don't dislike show Ellie, just prefer the game version. I do reserve the right to change my opinion though, the show is great and I want to be won over by the new version of Ellie.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Some thoughts on episode 3. I thought it was very touching and Nick Offerman gave an amazing performance. As a standalone TV episode, it is a fantastic 90 minutes.

One thing I think it misses out on compared to the game though: Bill in the game serves a different and more important purpose to Joel's character development. Bill is bitter and cruel, with nothing to live for. He is a warning for what would happen to Joel if he TRULY had nobody. He lost Sarah, he lost Tess, and is estranged with Tommy. It raises the emotional stakes for Joel because we see what would happen to him if he lost Ellie. Yes, the point is still made through Bill himself in the show, so I'm a little torn. It was a great episode, BUT I think Joel and Ellie, the main characters were better served in the game. How much I like this episode will either go up or down by the end of the season. If they have to rush through important shit at the end, it'll be hard to look back fondly on this episode about one off characters.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Obviously I don’t full blown hate him. I don’t like that he acts like he made TLOU in a vacuum and ignores Bruce Straley’s contributions (he isn’t even credited in any way as a creator of the source material), I don’t like how he erased and replaced Amy Hennig’s version of uncharted 4 and how she was squeezed out of naughty dog, and I don’t like the narrative that you must be a bigot if you didn’t like TLOU 2, when the majority of its haters think it’s bad for reasons that have nothing to do with sexism / transphobia / racism (they’re out there but not the majority of TLOU haters).

Neil is obviously very talented and the man has gigantic balls there is no denying, I think he has a massive ego though. Compared to Hugo Martin from id software who is humble and makes games for his fans rather than just himself.
Ahhhh, I get it.
I don’t follow much video game behind-the-scenes unless it’s FGC related, so I didn’t know that.

The character is better in the game, at least at the point the show is in now. Way less bitchy, way more funny and endearing. For example : After Tess dies, show Ellie reprimands Joel and makes sure he knows it's his fault she died because they agreed to do the mission - never mind that Ellie herself would have been killed by FEDRA if they stayed in the quarantine zone. Game Ellie immediately tries to empathize with Joel after this scene and it is instead Joel who lashes out at her, which makes way more sense. She understands her situation and respects the dependence she has on Joel.

However, I don't dislike show Ellie, just prefer the game version. I do reserve the right to change my opinion though, the show is great and I want to be won over by the new version of Ellie.
Ah, interesting. Again, I don't play the games and I don't expect I'll be getting The Last of Us remake when it hits PC shortly, so I only have the show to go by and what I've heard from others.

Interestingly one of my coworkers, the VP of our Studios division, she's played and loves both games and is loving the show. She loves this version of Ellie, where I (having no proper knowledge of the character) can't stand her.

Some thoughts on episode 3. I thought it was very touching and Nick Offerman gave an amazing performance. As a standalone TV episode, it is a fantastic 90 minutes.

One thing I think it misses out on compared to the game though: Bill in the game serves a different and more important purpose to Joel's character development. Bill is bitter and cruel, with nothing to live for. He is a warning for what would happen to Joel if he TRULY had nobody. He lost Sarah, he lost Tess, and is estranged with Tommy. It raises the emotional stakes for Joel because we see what would happen to him if he lost Ellie. Yes, the point is still made through Bill himself in the show, so I'm a little torn. It was a great episode, BUT I think Joel and Ellie, the main characters were better served in the game. How much I like this episode will either go up or down by the end of the season. If they have to rush through important shit at the end, it'll be hard to look back fondly on this episode about one off characters.
Was Frank in the games as well? The episode itself was okay, and touching in many ways, but it honestly didn't feel like it did much at all for character development or impact.

The episode simply made me dislike Ellie even more. Joelle's just kind of there and still very much physically resembles one of our story board artists.

We're now a third of the way through the season, and so far I've found it's all pretty forgettable. Outside of my coworker, the VP I mentioned above, everyone I know who started watching the series dropped it off after one or two episodes, or decided not to bother at all based on what they've heard.

My fav part of the episode was the Mortal Kombat II cabinet and the mention of Mileena. We can formally say: Mileena's in it.

I don’t follow much video game behind-the-scenes unless it’s FGC related, so I didn’t know that.
Just like the TV bizz, it's very, very cutthroat. Perhaps more so, as it's a less established/mature industry.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Ah, interesting. Again, I don't play the games and I don't expect I'll be getting The Last of Us remake when it hits PC shortly, so I only have the show to go by and what I've heard from others.

Interestingly one of my coworkers, the VP of our Studios division, she's played and loves both games and is loving the show. She loves this version of Ellie, where I (having no proper knowledge of the character) can't stand her.

Was Frank in the games as well? The episode itself was okay, and touching in many ways, but it honestly didn't feel like it did much at all for character development or impact.

The episode simply made me dislike Ellie even more. Joelle's just kind of there and still very much physically resembles one of our story board artists.

We're now a third of the way through the season, and so far I've found it's all pretty forgettable. Outside of my coworker, the VP I mentioned above, everyone I know who started watching the series dropped it off after one or two episodes, or decided not to bother at all based on what they've heard.

My fav part of the episode was the Mortal Kombat II cabinet and the mention of Mileena. We can formally say: Mileena's in it.

Just like the TV bizz, it's very, very cutthroat. Perhaps more so, as it's a less established/mature industry.
Frank had a role in the games sort of, I don’t want to spoil it for you. You definitely should play part 1 when it goes to PC, I really think you’d enjoy it.

I’m still enjoying the show but I think Joel and Ellie were both miscast. Bella Ramsay seems to have a hard time being both prickly AND endearing like the game version. The little girl from Logan would have been a good choice. I also would have picked the guy who played Jaime Lannister to play Joel. In the movie the Silencing, his character is very similar and he nails it, even looks like game Joel. Characters don’t need to look EXACTLY like their game version, but they should have picked someone for Joel that can at least grow a beard, come on man.

... I don’t want to spoil it for you. You definitely should play part 1 when it goes to PC, I really think you’d enjoy it.
I honestly don't mind spoilers at all, even if I would get around to playing it. I find even when I know what's coming, if a game, movie, show, etc. is done well I can still loose myself in the moment and feel the impact.

Having said that, I do doubt that I'll play it. Every time I give Sony a chance, they disappoint me. Hard. For a game of this style, I'll happily stick with A Plague Tale, which is fantastic.

Bella Ramsay seems to have a hard time being both prickly AND endearing like the game version.
Keep in mind, this may not be the actress. She could be told this is how they want the show character to be.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Really impressed on how the show has managed to stay extremely faithful to the game while also keeping it enticing for people who already know the story. I think all the small changes and additions they've added to the story are all great. Really curious how they are gonna handle season 2.

What other games do you think would make a great show/movie? I think the original Halo trilogy would make a great movie trilogy if handled correctly.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Really impressed on how the show has managed to stay extremely faithful to the game while also keeping it enticing for people who already know the story. I think all the small changes and additions they've added to the story are all great. Really curious how they are gonna handle season 2.

What other games do you think would make a great show/movie? I think the original Halo trilogy would make a great movie trilogy if handled correctly.
The original Halo trilogy, Uncharted, and Resident Evil would all be perfect but they already fucked it.

I'm impressed with the show too, aside from some characterization things. Joel and Ellie both behave a lot different in part 2 than in part 1, and the show versions feel more like their part 2 versions. I feel like Neil is priming the audience for it. Mostly Joel is a lot nicer than his part 1 version and Ellie is WAY more of a psycho in the show. The show runner said Joel and Ellie are the "same", which misses the point of the first game. They're not the same and they needed each other more because of it.

I'm still excited for season 2 even though I was disappointed with a lot about part 2. There is a great story buried in there though and now they have the power of hindsight to nail it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

I think the Dark Souls series, BB or Elden Ring could actually be made into a cool, long series like Game of Thrones. There’s actually so much story and lore in these games that 99% of players never experience because of the way the story is “told” is mainly through reading item descriptions and paying way too close attention, lol.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Want to watch it in the UK but don't have Sky so not sure when or how I'll be able to get round to watching it. Always thought TLOU story was a bit overrated and predictable even as someone who loves zombie stuff so not too fussed if I have to wait a while to watch it.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think the Dark Souls series, BB or Elden Ring could actually be made into a cool, long series like Game of Thrones. There’s actually so much story and lore in these games that 99% of players never experience because of the way the story is “told” is mainly through reading item descriptions and paying way too close attention, lol.
Elden Ring pre shattering and maybe ending with the shattering would be a great show. Would be the most expensive show of all time but it would be great.

The last 2 episodes have been excellent. Hopefully they can maintain this kind of pacing and character for the rest of the season.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I hated the Katheen subplot, she wasn’t intimidating in the slightest. Wasted time in a 10 episode season that should have gone to Joel and Ellie. Still good overall though and I’m excited each week still.

I hated the Katheen subplot, she wasn’t intimidating in the slightest. Wasted time in a 10 episode season that should have gone to Joel and Ellie. Still good overall though and I’m excited each week still.
I actually liked her a lot. She reminds me of lots of people I've met in the TV business; similar style of personality. Friendly that's fake, passive aggressive when she doesn't get what she wants, then outright hostile if she continues to be denied what she wants, and making bad decisions that cost her (and others) while throwing her tantrums.

Episode 5

Kathleen scared the shit out of me lol. Combination of a bubbly kindergarten teacher and Mao Zedong.

I think the contrast was intentional. It kinda sold to me how fast her transformation from the helpless little sister to brutal dictator was after her brothers death.

I also liked the additional characterization of Henry. Showing how he wasn't exactly this inexplicably nice great guy let his actions at the end of the episode make more sense- he's a better mirror for Joel this way.

The ASL change was a bit offputting to me because it meant Ellie couldn't speak to directly to Sam. I would have rather they wrote it in that Ellie knows ASL because it would have simultaneously strengthened their friendship and made the scenes where Sam has to slowly write things out less annoying.

The action scene at the end of the episode was perfection