What's new

995Phil's Guide to help Stick Players adjust to Injustice

Eshi

Noob
I must have a really unusual button layout. Because only 5 inputs are required, I layed it out Guilty Gear style:

2 3 P
1 - MB

Kaymai

inside of this girl is a beast
i was using the same stick layout except that i don't even bother binding a 6th button i just use the required 5

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
I like this alot. Ive been using lt, med, heav, interac for my top 4 and power, MB, FS and throw for my bottom 4. I may use lt, med, power, inter/throw for my top 4 and 3 mb, fs, inter/throw for my bottom 4. Definitely like how 1, 2, and 3 feels.

Beautiful post!

I finally gave in and picked up the Injustice Fight Stick yesterday (I hope it will be compatible with my xbox 720 when I buy it). It has been difficult to adapt from my native control conditioning to the stick. Then again, it's only been a day and some hours, so let's see how better I get in two/three weeks time.

I followed your suggestions it makes sense for me the six button scheme, especially with me learning, my fingers seem to fumble all over the place.

Question:
Do tournament level players, play with all 8 buttons or do they as well consolidate to the 6 button format?

SPECTRELIGHT

F, D, F + HP
I have been using almost the same 6 button MB layout:
1 2 MB
3 P INT

But you sold me on switching out the INT, replacing it with FS as it's a good failsafe for Super. ;)
I have also been pondering why the FS was even implemented in the first place in MK9.
IN this game, Nightwing has a use for it, but otherwise it serves no purpose. I wish someone would ask Ed Boon in an interview what the FS button was intended for and what uses it has.

Noob
Beautiful post!

I finally gave in and picked up the Injustice Fight Stick yesterday (I hope it will be compatible with my xbox 720 when I buy it). It has been difficult to adapt from my native control conditioning to the stick. Then again, it's only been a day and some hours, so let's see how better I get in two/three weeks time.

I followed your suggestions it makes sense for me the six button scheme, especially with me learning, my fingers seem to fumble all over the place.

Question:
Do tournament level players, play with all 8 buttons or do they as well consolidate to the 6 button format?
Layouts are all over the map. That's why I created this layout, because a lot of people were asking me how I set up my buttons. I know a number of the VSM stick players use this layout.

Thought I put this in here for those interested:

This is Chris G's Layout:

PS3 Fight Stick:
Square = Light
Triangle = Medium
X = Hard
Circle = Power
R1 = Interact
L1 = Throw
L2 = Flip Stance
R2 = Meter Burn

Xbox 360 Fight Stick (Translation):

X = 1
Y = 2
A = 3
B = Power
RB = Interact
LB = Throw
LT = Flip Stance
RT = Meter Burn

RELEASE CHECK = Off
ALTERNATE CONTROL = Off

problem:
if u got an stick with only 6 buttons (like me) u can not use some features!
i dont got R2-L2 but the game require those buttons, lol
example: if u are in a online room and somebody challange u, u CAN NOT accept because u need R2 button.

5 button game my ass!
stay free NRS

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Nice thread!

I play in a 360 TE stick and I'm using:

3 2 MB
1 P INT

Since I'm used to play SSFIV, it's easier for me doing the super move with all 3 upper buttons, just like doing a "punch buttons" ultra move in SF and the same for the throw (3s & SFIV style)

Just like in MK9, I always do xray with the 3 upper buttons.

Great post!!! Never thought of the combinations of buttons for throws and supers. That alone will change the game from here on out for me. Diagrams are also insightful. Gonna experiment with these sets on my MK stick. (Been using an Hori 8 button config stick).

Krafty Matt

KraftyMattKraft
Awesome post 9.95. Thank you for it. I am using a VHSG by SEGA. It only has 6 buttons w/ LT(L2)/RT(R2) across the top next to start and select. This saved me some frustration. What are your thoughts on Negative Edge?
Btw, upon further testing, an interact button is needed, literally.

You cannot cancel into roundhouse kick interactables from strings using 1+2. You must use the interact button. This is all stages but you can see it on the Wayne Manor fountain, Atlantis throne, etc.

This may be unintentional and may require a patch by NRS. There should be no reason why a shortcut command would work different than the long version.

Noob
Awesome post 9.95. Thank you for it. What are your thoughts on Negative Edge?

This may be unintentional and may require a patch by NRS. There should be no reason why a shortcut command would work different than the long version.
This has been confirmed to be a bug... NRS knows about it and has said that its on their list of things to fix.

Hopefully this was addressed in the recent update.

Hated Greatness

Super Villain
Thank you for this. I have 8 button sticks (A Madcatz TE and SE), but I am using the layout you gave for the 6 button layout. I kept having problem remembering how to do super and where interact was.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
This has been confirmed to be a bug... NRS knows about it and has said that its on their list of things to fix.

Hopefully this was addressed in the recent update.
What's wrong with negative edge exactly?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I am still having difficulty adjusting to my fight stick. Online - I get pummeled horrendously! Went back to my Xbox controller during online bouts until I spend some more time in the lab with the FS.

Weird question here: (FINGER PLACEMENT)
Do you use your 3 fingers (pointing finger, middle finger, ring finger) and thumb when pressing buttons? Or do you use your pinky instead of your thumb? Or all 5 fingers?

My finger placement controversy:
I am trying to establish where I can have my fingers rested on the FS buttons like home-keys on a keyboard. I've noticed though, in my attempt to do so, my ring finger and pinky falter in motor skills. Naturally, because of how our hands are designed and the way the bones in our hands connect to the ring finger/pinky, its difficult having these two particular fingers arch themselves to reach over and tap a specific set of buttons or groupings of buttons. And so there goes my home key setup out the window.

Luckily we have a community here, I am curious how you guys with Fight Sticks "especially" the OP place your fingers? Do you try a home key approach too? If so - how?

Are you having a hard time with your ring finger & pinky like me? If so, how have you rectified this situation?

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
i play with 23P going in order across the top row with the stance flip next to it. On the bottom i use 1, intractable , throw, and mb. A little awkward when looking at the layouts listed at the top but for me it works just fine