What's new

7 Ways NRS can make MK11 a much polished game gameplaywise

I dunno about the blockstun.
There's so much shit in the game that has close to 0 blockstun already, I like the extra time I have on some moves to confirm a punish.
Took me forever to get stuff like Kabal's low hook to punish, that if they'd reduce it even more that move would pretty much become safe against me xD

I also hate that you have to be a a jedi to confirm d1/d3 on hit into s1/s2. I swear when I'm poking I mix myself up, because either I preemptively just do shit and hope that I get a hit confirm, or I eat a 9f mid into a full combo or get poked back.

9f mid characters don't have the same shit to deal with unless they play against another 9 framer because they get like -3 on their blocked poke and the worst that can happen is that they get poked back, otherwise they just hit first if you go for your 13-14f mid.

Wouldn't be such a big deal if you could actually confirm off pokes and I don't believe you can do that until you show me a video where you hit twenty 11s or 12s off a d1 hit and instant block on block in practice mode.

Gaxkang

Banned
I also hate that you have to be a a jedi to confirm d1/d3 on hit into s1/s2. I swear when I'm poking I mix myself up, because either I preemptively just do shit and hope that I get a hit confirm, or I eat a 9f mid into a full combo or get poked back.

9f mid characters don't have the same shit to deal with unless they play against another 9 framer because they get like -3 on their blocked poke and the worst that can happen is that they get poked back, otherwise they just hit first if you go for your 13-14f mid.

Wouldn't be such a big deal if you could actually confirm off pokes and I don't believe you can do that until you show me a video where you hit twenty 11s or 12s off a d1 hit and instant block on block in practice mode.
If I could easily get D1/D3 into a S1 or S2 string it would change a lot of the game in a positive direction for me. But every time I hear the term "jail" I just don't see it existing in the game.

How the game really plays out is: your poke gets a hit you go for a throw...you either get thrown or you get D2'd. if your poke gets blocked...you could still try a throw (might as well), or you hold block and often times opponent will be able to poke you back.
now if in a new interlude they poke and you block their poke...many times you cannot poke them back (so you don't get a so-called turn, like it would matter much beyond a throw perhaps). but then they can poke you back...meaning the whole system isn't working right.
Other close combat is mostly blocking stuff that is not punishable, or if punishable...even the slightest delay may change it a lot.

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Great write up!!

Agreed on almost everything :D

1 - Pokes - pokes are UGLY! Make all of them at least -7 on block and also 5 more frames negative on WHIFF (people don't just mash on block... they also mash on WHIFF LMAO)

2 - Jumps - Another UGLY thing. Make them have bigger hurtbox and the defender get a faster auto correct when a cross up is performed.

3 - Anti airs - Faster moves, better hitbox... maybe some invencibility frames against jumps...

4 - Wakeup system - Some U3s are like -2 / -3... U make the read, block it and then they mash pokes like crazy or do a random jump... All U3s should be at least -7 on block, more negative on flawless block and also more negative frames on whiff. Same thing with U2s. But also better hitbox on them cause a lot of times you fblock something but your u3 or u2 just doesn't connect WTF. Short and long delayed wakeup also shouldn't have those invencibility frames. A lot of people don't know but you can link a short and long delayed wakeup with a interactable. That's a exploit.

5 - Fatal Blow - remove the fuckin armor. That's such a scrubby tool that help people that are getting out played in the neutral. Also remove the fucking pushback on block.

6 - Breakaway input - make it L2 + down cause when u get hit by a projectile and u tried to block, the breakaway will come out... that happens a lot and it's really annoying.

7 - Breakaway window - why does it come out when you don't want (get hit by a projectile) but it does not come out when u want?????

My opinion exactly regarding FLB's. The way it is now it doesn't make any sense to FLB a gap because there's literally no difference between normal and FLB with so many strings. Another way to make it a bit more rewarding aswel, is to make FLB attacks only use 1 offensive meter instead of 1 of both. or nah?

Great write up. Great to see a suggestion thread instead of a complaint thread.

Now onto my complaints....
Top two turns off is the poke and throw systems respectively. Yuck!

I totally agree with Eddie Wang. I've just dropped game. I dont have patient for this. I never met a fighting game causeing so many frustration. I loved Mk games but the newest one is a piece of crap.

1. Jumps are much too OP. Everybody just jumping. Some characters like Scorpion, Baraka or Kabal are so much hard to AA. Characters should have bigger hurtboxes and S1 or d2 moves should have bigger hiboxes.

2. Fatal Blows are joke. Fully armor, free move, takes over 33% of health. Fatal Blow should be giga punish on block, slower and consume all bars off and Def. Now everybody use this as a panic button. Try to react against Jax or Liu Kang FB. Fatal Blows made me drop that game.

3. Crushing Blows should take less damage. I say this as a Geras Player. Geras KB are much too OP. Some characters has one good KB other has 5. WTf?

4. Throws. My god its MK throw Kombat 11. Its hard to react. Tech window should be bigger and throw animation should be slower.

5. Kombat Leguae points giving rule should be change right now! I'm in God rank and for every fight when I win I got 20 PTS for lose - 100

Jbog

Noob
Totally agree the poke system is absolute shit and annoying! Plus the non regional lag fest they call kombat league is a complete shit sack! And the bs punish system!! U covered it all and like all other nrs games they'll release all their rip off dlc then dump this game just like injustice 2!! After they ram us all for 40 bucks for dlc characters that are 2x as good as original rosters!!!

Jbog

Noob
I totally agree with Eddie Wang. I've just dropped game. I dont have patient for this. I never met a fighting game causeing so many frustration. I loved Mk games but the newest one is a piece of crap.

1. Jumps are much too OP. Everybody just jumping. Some characters like Scorpion, Baraka or Kabal are so much hard to AA. Characters should have bigger hurtboxes and S1 or d2 moves should have bigger hiboxes.

2. Fatal Blows are joke. Fully armor, free move, takes over 33% of health. Fatal Blow should be giga punish on block, slower and consume all bars off and Def. Now everybody use this as a panic button. Try to react against Jax or Liu Kang FB. Fatal Blows made me drop that game.

3. Crushing Blows should take less damage. I say this as a Geras Player. Geras KB are much too OP. Some characters has one good KB other has 5. WTf?

4. Throws. My god its MK throw Kombat 11. Its hard to react. Tech window should be bigger and throw animation should be slower.

5. Kombat Leguae points giving rule should be change right now! I'm in God rank and for every fight when I win I got 20 PTS for lose - 100

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I dunno about the blockstun.
There's so much shit in the game that has close to 0 blockstun already, I like the extra time I have on some moves to confirm a punish.
Took me forever to get stuff like Kabal's low hook to punish, that if they'd reduce it even more that move would pretty much become safe against me xD
What is happening there is the following
Some moves happen to fast and have little to no blockstun, those are moves you should react instinctively, but these moves are usually the pokes which can also be canceled into specials.

And then you have moves which can be special canceled and shouldn't have pushback on block or 20f blockstun before being -20 which are moves you would react instantly when you know for certain you have blocked them.

What NRS needs to do in these moves are the following
a) for the moves that recover too fast such as pokes, increase the stop time where both characters are in stun, this will help players recognize and react to pokes more naturally.
b) reduce block stuns and pushbacks of moves which should've been punishable on block or FLB so ppl can instantly punish when they have sure they blocked it.

Tekken had this issue with claudio's hop kick and they solved by giving both players more blockstun frames, the move still -13 on block, but the time it happens on the screen you can visually see its a hop kick, and confirm with a punish afterward. In MK11 you can't visually confirm a blocked poke and back dash as a reversal consistently because of this issue.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Please enlighten us
I do not play online often because the lag is too bad for the most part, so remember that i am always talking about offline. Ill start with what i agree with:

1.) Grabs: are complete bullshit and i never liked 50/50 throws ever

2.) Kombos: NRS got scared about all the crazy damage bs that their games have been known for and even in various patches have nerfed combo ability through frames. I whole hardheartedly agree that this game needs more options for a higher reward FOR EVERY CHARACTER. This also ties in with krushing blows. Also all launchers should be super negative always.
+ Krushing blow damage is outrageous.

3.) Krushing blows: MK11 is a game about string utility so once again i do understand why they calmed the combos down yet they offer a universal mechanic thats not really universal. This always already broken characters (like geras) to be even worse! Just give of a universal krushing blow system with some kustomizing maybe.

4.) Fatal blows: need to have no armor and take only 25% health at max un-scaled always (to at least give it some utility). if they want a comeback factor then fine, just make it double time or longer.

5.) For some reason paulo can make characters like liu kang have frames that MOSTLY match up to the recovery frames on block, but raidens s3 is +3 on block yet feels negative? They even fixed it with dead-shots nerf injustice 2 so i really dont know whats going on. Fix the recovery frames on block to match the frame data universally.

6.) push-back: Make +moves have pushback and negative moves should have a vacuum. As of now its random moves for each character and makes no sense. I think they should also change various frames for different characters.

7.) Wakeups: Change invincibility timing to allow for meaties and the inputs should should be down or back instead of up. The roll timing needs to be adjusted.

What i disagree with:

1.) I agree the constant throw 50/50 bs is annoying but the idea that they can be spammed is nonsense. You can test it with someone like raiden who's down pokes are -3 yet can still be countered (with a d1 most of the time, which i will address). On block you can only do 3 down pokes that in range, which i will agree gives the illusion that it can be spammed. To solve this issue, give d1 and d3 enough push back both on block and hit enough that grab is not an option.
+ Their recovery frames on whiff are also easy to punish for the most part

2.) Jailing + mids hysteria: The system that i keep explaining (which tom brady also did on his podcast with reo) is that you need your down pokes to give atleast +4 frames on hit in order to be able to jail highs. The game revolves around can your character jail his stand frames. If not that means they want you to use you characters mids more than often versus other can. For example kano cannot consistently jail his highs which is why they made his f1 +1 to compliment his bully play-style. This makes sense once you accept what the game is but people are going crazy asking for everyone to basically have the same 9f moves as some other characters do which will ironically lower the same depth they claim doesnt exist. SImple solution is make moves jail on crouch blocking period. Now with this one fix you can jail all normals and make d2 krushing blows a real read. all tick throws are negative from what i know so i dont see the issue.

3.) Character balancing: The main consensus is that if one character has it then all of them should. Absolutely not if that is not intended. MAny people have admitted that they simply do not like the characters playstyle but that is a YOU problem. You also cannot conveiently leave out varitions just to claim a whole character sucks (looking at raijin raiden). Im not saying the balance is perfect but you got people asking for give characters a 25% damage 3 hit string on the forums smh.

4.) Anti airs: This has been going on since mk9 and its always debunked. People have been doing them more often on stream now. A really big problem we have as a community is that we dont react fast enough because of the block button. Its mental thing that once you get over you wont have as many issues. I learned to anti air with kanos s1 but his d2 is also great.
+ The real issues with the air moves is that they are PLUS ON BLOCK! Thats nonsense.

5.) This game is slow: The only thing slow are the shitty back dashes that also have no invincibility so theyre useless.

6.) This game is random: 90% of the game whether you like it or not actually has logic behind it. You have to actually learn the game offline and play the tutorial and you will see (not saying you will like it).

7.) breakaways: As of now people are just not accepting that different moves have different frames on hit so you have to choose wisely if you know someone has defensive bar to get out. You can negate this with d2 right after a launcher because you usually get mid to high 20% regardless and you cant be punished. I think grabs should be combo-able again and that should negate the breaker.

Last edited: