What's new

2D Vs. 3D Discussion

19:25 - How MK9's devs are dealing with the double tap moves & dash do it. >_>

Yeah...they're going there.
interesting, but that still doesnt help wasting breakers or QR.

1) a run button

2) a different button OTHER THAN BLOCK for breakers.

3) QR getup speed should be implemented into the game without having to press db.

there are other stupid annoyances like Batmans 3b+1 for instance. Sliding your finger from down to back between 3 and b1 leads into his batarang before b1 comes out. Stupid and unsafe. Too much of a pain in the ass to make it work.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
stick to SF then. I really dont get why you'd want it to be more like SF and less like MK.
What are you talking about, they have Smoke confirmed, fatalities are great, and the environment is ownage. I love mortal kombat.

I don't care for a run button, nor do I want a stupid block button, period.

I enjoy the SF layout, and thats my preference.

Dark_Rob

Noob
What are you talking about, they have Smoke confirmed, fatalities are great, and the environment is ownage. I love mortal kombat.

I don't care for a run button, nor do I want a stupid block button, period.

I enjoy the SF layout, and thats my preference.
Honestly, I know where your coming from Bone. I was a Street Fighter player first to, and at first I could NOT wrap my head around the block button. But after learning some of the things that can be done when the block is a button and not a proximity/attack triggered action. Ive really come to believe the block button is better. Not that I dont love SF to, there's just alot of ways to use the block button(at least in UMK3) that really make it a unique and advantageous approach.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'd like a run button in MK9, but seriously, let's stop worrying about how close to UMK3 this game is gonna be and start worrying about whether it's even gonna be good. That's the big thing right now.

This is seriously one of my biggest worries about MK9 right now...that it's gonna be a solid game, but no one's gonna want to play it because it's not a 100% return to roots. And that'd be the biggest crock of shit ever if that happens.

Noob
I'd like a run button in MK9, but seriously, let's stop worrying about how close to UMK3 this game is gonna be and start worrying about whether it's even gonna be good. That's the big thing right now.

This is seriously one of my biggest worries about MK9 right now...that it's gonna be a solid game, but no one's gonna want to play it because it's not a 100% return to roots. And that'd be the biggest crock of shit ever if that happens.
It's like we said in the podcast... NOBODY wants MK9 to be bad or to fail. However, that doesn't mean that we won't be able to recognize it as MKDC2 almost immediately if that's what it turns out to be. On the other hand, if it's a good game, you can expect people to play it and for it to get brought to tournaments.... the heat is all on Netherrealm to make the game good.

THTB

I know nobody wants MK9 to be bad. I'm just saying, that should really be the only focus...not hoping it has mechanics present in past MKs.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I know nobody wants MK9 to be bad. I'm just saying, that should really be the only focus...not hoping it has mechanics present in past MKs.
But why? I want MK to be good like it was. whats wrong with that? They havent reproduced that quality with many chances to do so. But MK with a RUN and BLOCK button are to MK what the six button layout is to SF.

Haters.

Support MK, NOT one MK.
again, why should we lower our standards to anything they give to us with the dragon on it? we as fans should expect more and when we arent satisfied, let others know. JUST THE SAME WAY i'd tell others and be enthusiastic about a great game. Listen to the podcast, all of it. :)

I am not MKF. I will not blindly support anything.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
But why? I want MK to be good like it was. whats wrong with that? They havent reproduced that quality with many chances to do so. But MK with a RUN and BLOCK button are to MK what the six button layout is to SF.

again, why should we lower our standards to anything they give to us with the dragon on it? we as fans should expect more and when we arent satisfied, let others know. JUST THE SAME WAY i'd tell others and be enthusiastic about a great game.

My main problem with you strictly UMK3 guys is you bash the other MK's. We are well aware that past MK's have let us down, however... I'm not going to tell the guy who likes MK: Deception that his game sucks and why... and that UMK3 is the best game ever and yours sucks.

This all makes us look like idiots as a community. I support MK, not UMK3 alone.

The whole idea of the thought of saying that would push me away from "your" game. If you said instead...

Yeah, MKD isn't my cup of tea, man but that's cool if you like it. By the way, have you ever tried UMK3? If not, I'd be happy to show you the ropes and get some games in with you.
Well, holy fuck... now we're talkin'. The way you put it "baits" a shitfest of arguing and nothing gets accomplished besides two apparent MK "fans" bickering.

I agree that UMK3 is god-like to more present MK's, but I'm not about to bash any of the games. If it sucks, and you have nothing good to say... don't say anything at all. Sounds fair, doesn't it?

Tim.... "SHAKE!" ;)

THTB

You don't think anyone else feels that way, Tim? If we can get MK back to the way it was, and it's really good, that'd be heaven. But just having it good is what we should be worrying about. Believe me, I want the gameplay to be like the good MKs. But at the same time, I know it's not going back to that. I'm sure everyone else knows that too. Despite Boon saying it's "going back to roots". So it really is no point in wanting stuff we know isn't gonna be in/the same as before.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder

again, why should we lower our standards to anything they give to us with the dragon on it? we as fans should expect more and when we arent satisfied, let others know. JUST THE SAME WAY i'd tell others and be enthusiastic about a great game. Listen to the podcast, all of it. :)

Tim, not to knock you off your boat, and believe me, its not that because I want MK to be good just as much as the next guy...

But first of all, if they did give it a run button, the chances of it being good or bad are just the same as it is now with the forward tap dash. You wanting a run button all falls into the preference area, and calling UMK3 players true fans, and MKvsDC players, non-supporters isnt cool dude. At least from my standpoint.

My preference in button layout fits the type of player I am. That doenst make me much less of an MK fan, because believe me, I love me some mortal kombat, and even with a run button, I would play it just as much. - End Rant

At the end of the day, Azuro is right. I just want this game to be good, cross your fingers and hope to god! shit, ill play this game with a jump button as long as its good... jk lol

Perhaps the issue with the Run button is looks. Like all of a sudden you're in a burst of speed out of walking position. Just doesnt look right. Or continuously tapping run a little bit (like after kabals air fireballs, usub clone traps etc) just doesnt look "real" or good for presentation.

Thats my take on it. I'd get into more about what is being talked about, but i would just be repeating what storms said (Regardless of whether its good or not, the community should just respect each other).

Tim Static

Adminerator
Respect isnt an issue. I just have a quality issues, i guess you could say.

I wouldnt support or treat my kids, if they came home with a report card fulls of D's and F's. Yes, i still love them, but I wont reward them or tell them that they did ok and should be satisfied with it or anything like that.

Noob
Enough is enough with the 2d vs 3d war. This isn't the place for it... and what I'm posting is the final post on 2d vs. 3d MK outside of a dedicated 2d/3d MK thread.

Here's some food for thought on 2d vs 3d.

I grew up in a 2d era, as did many "old school" MK fans. To me, MK is, and always will be HP/LP/HK/LK/BL and sometimes Run. I do not, generally, like 3d games. The ONLY 3d game I have EVER enjoyed is the VF series(VF2, 3 and 5 in particular) and that's because of the complexity of the games. I do not like DOA, Tekken, Soul Calibur, etc. If I don't like these kind of games, WHY would I buy and support a Mortal Kombat game that uses a gameplay system I simply don't like? I don't, and I won't. I will, just as any other gamer out there, point out the flaws in 3d games(all of them) that I don't like, and I will do so without being afraid to voice my opinion(even if it's about a 3d MK game) nor will I be apologetic about doing so.

The generation of MK players after mine are players who grew up with Tekken, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive and the like. These players are 3d fans at their core and there is nothing wrong with that. It's what they like in a fighting game, its the type of gameplay system they prefer and that is great. That being said, the 3d players prefer the 3d MK games much the same as they like Tekken and DOA. They aren't big on many 2d games(though this is not always the case), and the 3d MK players in particular seem to take issue with the gameplay system of 2d MK because it's simply what they don't like. I don't expect 3d MK players keep quiet about the things they see as flaws in 2d MK games, nor should they be afraid to voice their opinions or be apologetic about them either.

HOWEVER... the one thing that all MK players must start doing is respecting the fact that we all have different likes and dislikes in gaming and game fighting systems, and learn to support each other in terms of encouraging each other to make the most of the style of MK game we love and do our best to bring it to tournaments. Even if, in our own opinion, a game is not tournament worthy, and someone wants to bring it to a tournament, then, while I may not have to play in an MKDC tournament, if I know someone who plays MKDC, I'm certainly going to tell them about it and try to get them there... that is how we can support each other... that is how we can respect each other.

I hope MK9 is a good game... from a 2d player's standpoint.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Well said Phil.

I, as many can see, isnt as good with words as you, Shock and some others are. lol Thanks bud.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
im not going to read every post in this thread. i just like to point out i was playing MK 1 in the cades, MK2 i played it every day at time out. when MK3 came out with the run button i played ALOT less i hated it. the run button is what ruined MK for me, i played it but no where near as much as MK1 and MK2. then mk4 :x MKDA :x :X, then MKD came out and i again loved MK. played it on average of like 5 hours a day :confused: no Lie i was hooked on mk again...

anyway my point is we all have our own Opinions. i grew up in the "2d" era but i adjusted and loved the 3D era of MK (well just MKD and MKA). im psyched MK is going back to 2D, just please no run button. tapping forward twice is perfect.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
im not going to read every post in this thread. i just like to point out i was playing MK 1 in the cades, MK2 i played it every day at time out. when MK3 came out with the run button i played ALOT less i hated it. the run button is what ruined MK for me, i played it but no where near as much as MK1 and MK2. then mk4 :x MKDA :x :X, then MKD came out and i again loved MK. played it on average of like 5 hours a day :confused: no Lie i was hooked on mk again...

anyway my point is we all have our own Opinions. i grew up in the "2d" era but i adjusted and loved the 3D era of MK (well just MKD and MKA). im psyched MK is going back to 2D, just please no run button. tapping forward twice is perfect.
This is how I feel. Although, I actually don't mind the run button on UMK3, I just don't care to have it back. I just want a good game, and dashing has been a system I have been using for quite some time now. I'm satisfied as long as turns out good.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Excuse me Tim? Blindly support? Nah I'm just a genuine MK fan, not a fake one...or bash the game for trivial reasons or one minute I'm an MK fan, another I'm not. Maybe some of us want to look positive instead of negative for MK9? hmm What's wrong with that? So I agree with Storms there.

Some have to come to reality that MK9 isn't UMK3 lol....who cares if there's no run button....there's still a dash, but of course if you didn't play MKDC then you wouldn't know why it's not so bad. I just don't understand this whole "No Run=No Fun & Bad game"

What if the game has hardly any infinites, patches and is overall balanced well? Would you still shit on it for having a dash and not a run button?

I'm also surprised a little since some of you have no issues with "dashing" in SF but in MK it's OMG...

I mean nobody here has even touched the game yet so we are judging by what exactly?

I can see bashing the 3D MK's as they had tons of issues but bashing MK9 for having a dash? Give me a break....

I mean no disrespect to anyone in particular but god knows I'm tired of that MKU mentality....just being honest.

And the block button thing I have to say is fine. You know how many times I hold back in SF or KI and it doesn't block the way I want? Let's let other fighters have their mechanics and let's have MK keep theirs. So please by all means give me a block button.

I do agree with something Check said concerning the breakers having a button which could work