What's new

2014 FIFA World Cup general discussion thread

Pho Cubic

Sérieusement Sabrewulf peut aller en enfer.
Michael Bradley = Portugal's MVP. Missed an open goal & gives away the ball 94 minutes into the game. Wtf was that?! I hope Ronaldo gave you at least 3 prostitutes for that you f***ing fruitcake.

Nephrite

#Fujin4MK12BaseRoster
As for the advancement to the knock-out stage, from what I just read on Wikipedia and double-checked on FIFA.com regarding the criteria on which team advances in case two teams are tied in terms of points:

If in round 3 Germany beats USA 1-0, and Ghana beats Portugal 2-1. USA and Ghana would be tied with 4 pts each, and both would have neutral (zero) goal difference, but Ghana would advance as they would have scored one goal more (5) than the US (4). It seems total goals scored is more important than the head-2-head match between the two tied teams. This would suck for the US as they beat Ghana.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
As for the advancement to the knock-out stage, from what I just read on Wikipedia and double-checked on FIFA.com regarding the criteria on which team advances in case two teams are tied in terms of points:

If in round 3 Germany beats USA 1-0, and Ghana beats Portugal 2-1. USA and Ghana would be tied with 4 pts each, and both would have neutral (zero) goal difference, but Ghana would advance as they would have scored one goal more (5) than the US (4). It seems total goals scored is more important than the head-2-head match between the two tied teams. This would suck for the US as they beat Ghana.
This is correct, but just as a fun fact, head to head record actually takes priority over goal difference in the Euros. Not sure if that's just a UEFA thing or if it's also enforced in the Copa America, African Cup of Nations etc.

That all said, as unpredictable as this World Cup has been, I strongly believe the Ghana/Portugal game has draw written all over it, so I doubt those rules will come into play.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I agree that a Germany USA tie is pretty likely. I doubt either team even tries to attack very much and risk being countered in a game where there is not too incredibly much to gain by winning.