What's new

2014 FIFA World Cup general discussion thread

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
I love Atsu on Ghana, but I have to say it was really sweet seeing them miss out on the knockout round after dealing the US tough defeats in the past few WC's
I guess it was about time the US got one over Ghana. Atsu looks good, a little raw at times but the potential is there. definitely one to keep an eye on in the near future

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I guess it was about time the US got one over Ghana. Atsu looks good, a little raw at times but the potential is there. definitely one to keep an eye on in the near future
Yeah I hope he can keep improving to the point where Chelsea can actually use him and not just buy players to block him out.

TheGabStandard

I think the experience they've gathered from the group will help to discipline Ghana in the long run, LBSH, their bracketology was lukewarm at best in the last World Cup.
Yeah. It was a fairly young squad so a nice group of players to grow for upcoming tournaments

Nephrite

#Fujin4MK12BaseRoster
Uruguay were my 2nd favorite team, behind my country Croatia, however now I hope Colombia obliterates them in the next round and I'm glad Suarez got banned. That bite was really ugly and freaky. He really needs to see a psychiatrist.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Yeah. It was a fairly young squad so a nice group of players to grow for upcoming tournaments
By the way, what's the general opinion on Kwesi Appiah? I think it'd be very harsh if he were sacked for this.

I am not sure how I feel about all this ...
I think we realistically all agree that Palestine won't qualify for the World Cup anytime soon so there must be something else troubling you... care to elaborate? :p

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
amazing job by USA getting out of the Group of Death...

It looks as if USA will face Belgium (although thats not guaranteed yet) BUT what is guaranteed is that USA has a great chance to beat Belgium.

Im also fairly convinced Germany is not making the finals .

TheGabStandard

By the way, what's the general opinion on Kwesi Appiah? I think it'd be very harsh if he were sacked for this.
A lot of people want him gone. Despite the really tough group a lot are unforgiving and feel his management is not good enough to take the team forward (has been tactically slow in the past). I also think fans are extra salty over the bonus payments made just before the game.

STRYKIE

It looks as if USA will face Belgium (although thats not guaranteed yet) BUT what is guaranteed is that USA has a great chance to beat Belgium.

Dude, imagine the blow ups if Algeria advance later tonight, and then eliminate Germany in the next round. Especially considering they were screwed over by Germany by a fix in 1982.

STRYKIE

A lot of people want him gone. Despite the really tough group a lot are unforgiving and feel his management is not good enough to take the team forward (has been tactically slow in the past). I also think fans are extra salty over the bonus payments made just before the game.
Hmm, interesting. Well as I previously stressed, it's a small miracle Ghana made it as far as they did in 2010. I suppose it would be justified if they fail to make the top 4 at the next Cup of Nations.

Frostbarrier

I Protect The Fridge!
Lol @STRYKIE ... I personally don't watch soccer matches but I watch like highlights and goals, but this world cup has been really weird cuz I was expecting spain to at least get qualified XD ... but yeah I don't think Palestine is going anywhere anytime soon ... most ppl here cheer for algeria obviously, and we have hardcore germany fans all over the place, like they would literally cry over matches n shit ... soccer is a big deal here in palestine haha ... my friend here @Braindead is a hardcore Chelsea fan for example, like he doesn't skip a bloody match (get it? chelsea is english so I said bloody) ... I think he is supporting Brazil and some other teams as well not sure XD

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler

Belgium is definitely more talented, but the US can definitely win that game for sure. It would be an incredible boost if Altidore could come back full strength during the knockout stage of the tournament.

TheGabStandard

Hmm, interesting. Well as I previously stressed, it's a small miracle Ghana made it as far as they did in 2010. I suppose it would be justified if they fail to make the top 4 at the next Cup of Nations.
2010 was a great journey :p yet some people still hold a grudge on a certain Uruguayan. I'm one of the very few that doesn't.

STRYKIE

2010 was a great journey :p yet some people still hold a grudge on a certain Uruguayan. I'm one of the very few that doesn't.
I think part of it is because Ghana as a country hasn't had huge exposure to football until the last 10 years, damn near everyone else knows any other player would've done the same thing for their team in that scenario, regardless of Suarez's other misadventures.

EDIT: The comments on here are a good read xD

Uruguay were my 2nd favorite team, behind my country Croatia, however now I hope Colombia obliterates them in the next round and I'm glad Suarez got banned. That bite was really ugly and freaky. He really needs to see a psychiatrist.
Colombia without Falcao >>>>>>>>>> Uruguay without Suarez.

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Lol @STRYKIE ... I personally don't watch soccer matches but I watch like highlights and goals, but this world cup has been really weird cuz I was expecting spain to at least get qualified XD ... but yeah I don't think Palestine is going anywhere anytime soon ... most ppl here cheer for algeria obviously, and we have hardcore germany fans all over the place, like they would literally cry over matches n shit ... soccer is a big deal here in palestine haha ... my friend here @Braindead is a hardcore Chelsea fan for example, like he doesn't skip a bloody match (get it? chelsea is english so I said bloody) ... I think he is supporting Brazil and some other teams as well not sure XD
Good Lord you talk a lot.

STRYKIE

Algeria accomplishes the unthinkable, and that means overall, I only got 8/16 of my group predictions correct. LOL.

Will be updating shortly with knockout round brackets.

NKZero

Noob
Algeria accomplishes the unthinkable, and that means overall, I only got 8/16 of my group predictions correct. LOL.

Will be updating shortly with knockout round brackets.
I also got 8/16 and that's not even considering I got first and second place finishers incorrect. But that speaks for the greatness that is the unpredictability of this tournament.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
We are very lucky with belgium to face USA and not germany.
We really need to step it up tough, even tough we won all matches, it was not against strong teams, and belgium was playing very mediocre.
I wad suprised what i saw from Origi today, he played great.

Usa here we come!

Really glad to see the US made it through. I remember in the past, the sport never got much attention in the states, but now it is. Wish them the best of luck in the top 16. The unpredictability of this tournament is amazing btw.

STRYKIE

Knockout round bracket added.

As you can see, I can't find a way to cook up an actual bracket to save my life, so I'm open to suggestions/help for improvements if it's confusing.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I think the unpredictable matches are gone less now , so these are my predictions:
Brazil - Chile: 2 - 1
Colombia - Uruguay: 2 - 0
Netherlands - Mexico: 2 - 2 (Mexico win on penalties)
Costa Rica - Greece: 3 - 1
France - Nigeria: 3 - 0
Germany - Algeria: 2 -0
Argentina - Switzerland: 1 - 0
Belgium - USA: 1 - 2
Can't wait for it :).