What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn 2 Things I wish Kotal Had

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I honestly think kotal may be the worst character in the game. I don't play him much but it feels as if he has very few if any advantaged match ups and alot of disadvantaged match ups.
Come on, bruh. War God is fucking really good. I wouldn't even put Blood God or Sun God near the bottom either, though.

gam224

The world's least hype player
Come on, bruh. War God is fucking really good. I wouldn't even put Blood God or Sun God near the bottom either, though.
If I'm going to play war good I could instead play sonya convert ops and get better mix ups, comparable damage, great corner carry, zoning and anti zoning. I think he's bad because he's just underwhelming. He's a fun character but it feels as if he doesn't have the extensive tool set to do well in mkx at the moment.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
No offense but you guys saying Kotal is the worst just need to level your game up. Do you realize that Kotal has top 3 JI1 in a game where anti airs are almost nonexistant? Do you realize Kotal literally has one of the best pokes in the game? In a game where pokes are incredibly important. Do you realize Kotal has one of the BEST and most damaging basic grabs in the game? Do you realize Kotal has one of the most useful low profiling moves in the game? Do you realize that in War Kotal has one of the single best moves in the game that guarantees 30% undroppable damage for free with armor? Do you realize he has one of the best run walk and backdash speeds in the game?

These are just the basics. There are plenty more examples of tools that he has which keep him safely out of the bottom and anyone who says hes bottom 3 either has never legitimately used him or just doesnt understand fighting games at the most basic level.
@Pnut

Though to be fair, I believe Kotal is better than Goro, Takeda, Mileena and F/T. Still bottom 5 though.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
If I'm going to play war good I could instead play sonya convert ops and get better mix ups, comparable damage, great corner carry, zoning and anti zoning. I think he's bad because he's just underwhelming. He's a fun character but it feels as if he doesn't have the extensive tool set to do well in mkx at the moment.
If everyone is just going to have that attitude, every tournament will be Tempest mirrors and I'll want to kill myself. I'd rather play a character that interests me. Sonya is about the most boring shit to watch aside from Tempest Lao.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
@Pnut

Though to be fair, I believe Kotal is better than Goro, Takeda, Mileena and F/T. Still bottom 5 though.
Everything he just said is true.

There are worse chars than him but he's bottom 10.

But the people who don't know how to play him expose themselves by complaining about zoning when they play a character with 3 different far advancing launching normals, an armoured launcher you can react to projectiles while running with, near fullscreen J1, fast run speed, great dash and fastest forward walkspeed.

What this character needs is a safe B122 and some variation specific fixes for sun/blood god.

Error404

Noob
114 needs to be fixed. Also I wouldn't mind a safe b122 like Qwark said .His parry should also be made into an actual move. The non-ex parry is by far the worst thing in the game.

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
Kotal needs:

- sun ray should has faster startup
- blood sacrafice should have armour on startup
- f2 should has bigger hitbox
- 114 needs to be fixed

jmt

Noob
I honestly think kotal may be the worst character in the game. I don't play him much but it feels as if he has very few if any advantaged match ups and alot of disadvantaged match ups.
Not even close to the worst

KitanawantstheD

CERTIFIED WANKER
Also, kotal kahn is FAR from the worst. In any of his variations you have to respect the shit out of him. Im terrified of playing against a kotal that knows what he's doing because I know what he's capable of since I used to play him. You slip up once and there goes a third of your health. Guy hits like a fuckin semi truck

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I love Kotal kahn. He has some pretty cool strings that have a lot of + frames with the proper cancels. I dig Sun god specifically due to the very easy command grab. I play Johnny Cage for the most part, and I feel that Kotal Kahn actually has some insane normals compared to Johnny. I've you guys ever seen Aquaman play War God it just looks beautiful. I just feel variations outside of war god tend to have trouble closing in. It's not as simple as Johnny's shadow kick that goes full screen with armor (and Liu Kang's). If I get zoned out by a Kitana or something it's rather difficult to get in. Thankfully, if you know how to read your opponent you can easily bait an air fan and procede with Kotals amazing advancing normals - but we all get tempted to jump in on Kitana, even when our gut tells us not to. Even War God has trouble fullscreen but at least the range of the armored sword attacks help. I'm still a newb when it comes to Kotal so I might be missing out on some strats but it's definitely harder to close the gab. But once I get in however... Tick throws all day and sweet Sun God brutalities

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
How many good kotals do u play to say that hes underwhelming? He seems to do fine tho, getting top 8 here and there, winning locals. Not bad for a midtier. But oh wait midtier sucks :(

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Sorry bro they are telling me he is at least bottom 5 but not as bad as goro.
They talking about any particular variation? Cause if they say War God then they're telling you porkies my friend. The other two variations I don't really have a clue though.

No offense but you guys saying Kotal is the worst just need to level your game up. Do you realize that Kotal has top 3 JI1 in a game where anti airs are almost nonexistant? Do you realize Kotal literally has one of the best pokes in the game? In a game where pokes are incredibly important. Do you realize Kotal has one of the BEST and most damaging basic grabs in the game? Do you realize Kotal has one of the most useful low profiling moves in the game? Do you realize that in War Kotal has one of the single best moves in the game that guarantees 30% undroppable damage for free with armor? Do you realize he has one of the best run walk and backdash speeds in the game?

These are just the basics. There are plenty more examples of tools that he has which keep him safely out of the bottom and anyone who says hes bottom 3 either has never legitimately used him or just doesnt understand fighting games at the most basic level.
Just to clarify...I was defending Kotal being a solid character (far from bottom 3). I main Kotal for the exact reasons @LeeVanDam stated, to learn footsies, neutral and match ups. In fact, I think if he were to get a couple safer strings he'd be close to if not an A tier character. As @Qwark28 said, having a safe b122 would be amazing. Also if Blood God had an armored reversal it would add so much to the variation.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
For the record I don't think (wargod) kotal is bottom 3, his high dmg anti air, armor combos and advancing normals can make him a force to be reckoned with and is one of the reasons I love him as a character aside from him being cool as fuck. There's no doubt though that he pales in comparison with alot of the cast especially when you fight someone who knows the matchup and kotals weaknesses. In a game dominated by either 50/50 characters or safe on block characters, kotal doesn't really fill any niche. He's a risky character to use given how unsafe his damage strings are.. add to that the holes in those strings, lack of real mixups, weak anti-zoning, you gotta work 5 times as hard to outsmart your opponent. TBH I think NRS like to leave weaker characters to cater to those of us who are gluttons for pain and keeps top tier characters (DLC) that way to cater to those who don't wanna invest so much time to get wins, sort of a pay to win scheme. I doubt they're gonna bother buffing kotal anymore given how many people up play him, which is why i only ask them to fix what he already has, 114 is his only safe combo string and can lead to some nice mind games i just ask they fix that and i'm happy, either way i'm still gonna keep playing as kotal casue no one is more fun.

Buiu

Woot
kotal is top 5 on this game....

UNTIL you face someone who know how to play and punish your gaps and unsafe strings/ sword enders.

after that, its all about you outplaying your oponnent.

hes good, far from bad

but after watching alucard at evo, i just confirmed that