What's new

10 Reasons NRS Should Take On The King Of The Monsters

Are You A Bad Enough Dude To Fight For The Title King Of The Monsters?

• FUCK YES!

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • No.

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
Right if you've seen some of my posts you can probably guess I'm a huge fan of giant monster movies like the Godzilla franchise and I've kept mentioning how I think NRS should take on the King of The Monsters and his many rubber suited friends and foes.

So I figured I should either list my reasons or shut up already.

So here we go.

Reason Number 1: Access to the rights is already half way there!

Legendary Pictures already made a deal with Toho, the guys who own and make Godzilla films, to make a reboot for 2014. And since Legendary Pictures is currently in a contract with WB co-produce and co-finance 40 films and WB owns NRS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legendary_Pictures

Yeah.

Reason Number 2: Monster Craze!

As already mentioned, Legendary Pictures is currently filming Godzilla(2014) for next summer and this summer they already have a giant monster movie coming out, Pacific Rim.

If both films do well enough they could start a second gold age of giant monster movies like back in the 50's and 60's, much like how super hero movies have started a super hero craze for the past 10+ years. It'd be foolish to try and not cash in on this with a game.

Reason Number 3: Big Six-Oh!

The reboot is coming out in 2014 for a reason. The first film came out way back in 1954, thus making Godzilla 60 years old next year and the longest running film series. Yes, even longer then James Bond.

Reason Number 4: Lots of fans!

There's a lot more of us then you'd think. And with the upcoming films interest will build up if not make new fans.

Reason Number 5: Monster Sized Cast!

Not including the upcoming reboot or the shitty Tri-Star remake from 1998 there have been 28 films over the past 59 years from Gojira (1954) to Godzilla: Final Wars (2004). This has result in many, many, many monsters from robots, cyborgs, aliens, gods, mutants, and super weapons. And like comic books there have been several different continuities with the first two series of films being their own continuity and the third being a series of films where each film is a different Alternate Universe. This not only resulted in many monsters but also different incarnations of Godzilla and several other monsters that have different powers and fight differently from one another.

The result?

Easily 40+ monsters!

That's more then enough for a fighting game.

I mean who wouldn't wanna play badasses like Biollante?

Or Destoroyah! (with some chemical smoke)

Burning Godzilla (think of it as a one time super form, that kills him slowly) would be cool to see with the glowing pulsating and smoke.

Or these other badasses?

Reason Number 6: Awesome & Unique Powers! Awesome & Unique Fighting Styles!

Of course everyone knows Godzilla's main weapon, a blue stream of radioactive energy being used as a death ray he fires from his mouth. But different incarnations play differently. The 90's version is slow but powerful and also has a Nuclear Pulse attack.

The 70's version is kinda like the Adam West Batman, very silly, very cheesy but no less badass. He is fast and has some powers no other incarnation has ever had like a Magnet Pull or the power to fly using his atomic breath.

Mothra has a cool power where she can deflect an enemy monsters beam right at them using her scales.

Spacegodzilla is really cool in that he uses his Psychic powers to control his Corona Beam, making it seem like it has a "mind" of it's own, twisting around cover to hit targets as the dagger or stinger tip digs into the enemy before blowing up, something forming into new smaller ones to repeat the attack.

He can also summon crystals to draw in power from space and make himself stronger, it'd make for a cool game mechanic to see players have to protect their crystals or else if enough are destroyed your powers either get weaker or you lose access to some of them.

And of coruse no matter how big the enemy, Destoroyah's Horn Katana cuts down any monsters.

Reason Number 7: FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

If there is one thing the Godzilla franchise is full of it's fighting. Let me tell you, Earth's monsters really hate space monsters.

And if they are not fighting space monsters they are fighting each other be it for control or destruction of the planet, protecting it, getting revenge for some wrong done to them by humans or just simply attacking a power plant to feed off the power they are always fighting.

Reason Number 8: Awesome Battle Grounds!

There are a ton of locals to fight at. Of course there is Tokyo, Osaka, France, London, New York. But there's also Antarctica, the sea, the bottom of the sea, Monster Island, the amusement park World Children's Land and Planet X.

If they ever use something like MKD Konquest mode again we can walk around cities or Monster Island or Planet X smashing stuff before we find another monster to fight.

Reason Number 9: Insane Stories? Sounds like NRS!

If there is one thing MK has in common with comic books it's how insane the stories get, I mean you have a cyborg cryomancer ninja fighting a thunder god. Well Godzilla has that as well, you have a mutated dinosaur and a moth goddess fighting a three headed gold planet killing space monster that happens to look like a dragon.

Even their origins can be insane.

Godzilla's is simple enough, a dinosaur or something related to dinosaurs was exposed to massive amounts of radiation during H-bomb tests in 1954, mutating him into a near indestructible monster that should not be capable of firing a stream of nuclear powered death ray from his mouth. The only thing that stands a chance against him is another giant monster and he's fought off many that are bigger, stronger and faster then him either through finding a weakness to exploit, outsmarting them, sheer willpower or rage power or by dumb luck thus earning him the title King of the Monsters.

Now that big plant monster you see up there, Biollante? She is the result of DNA from a dead lady being combined with DNA from a rose and Godzilla. Did I mention said dead women's soul is inside Biollante?

Now here's a crazy origin. Spacegodzilla.

Oh boy where do I start?

Okay somehow G-cells ended up in space and thus a "clone" of Godzilla was born.

How did G-Cells get into space? How did say monster come to be?

Two theories are offered, neither proven.

Theory Number 1: In 1989 after Biollante had broken up into energy spores and flew off into the sky after her battle with Godzilla some of her spores ended up in space.

or Theory Number 2: After her violent battle with Godzilla in 1992, Mothra flew off into space to destroy a meteor that threaten to destroy the world. The Goddess of Peace may have unknowingly had a piece of Godzilla skin on her when she flew off into space.

Either way, these G-cells ended up fusing with an unknown crystal alien life-form.

Still with me? Here comes the crazy bit.

Afterwards it was exposed to massive amounts of radiation from exploding stars, it was then sucked into a BLACK HOLE where it mutated at an alarming rate before being shot out of a WHITE HOLE where it flew and landed on Earth in 1994 where it planned on killing the original Godzilla and, what else, take over the world.

Cyber Sub-Zero, eat your heart out.

Reason Number 10: Some Justice!

Ironically, despite being a series of films where monsters beat the shit out of each other most Godzilla games are bad, with only a handful being good or decent. I really think NRS could do it some justice and make a good game, not just by Godzilla standards but as a good fighting game in general.

Reason Number 11: Big Cinematic Moments!

The Godzilla films are no stranger to some cool visuals and MK has always had a cinematic feel like the stage transitions in MK3.

Reason Number 12: Guest Fighter, Eight Wonder of The World, King Kong!

Best part? It'd make sense cause it already happened. XD

So yeah if you guys like the idea or hate it let me know, or if you have any questions about the Godzilla franchise feel free to ask me cause I'm a die hard fan and I'll gladly answer any questions you have.

SZSR

Noob
I feel Pipeworks had the right direction with Save the Earth but Unleashed was way too rushed. If Atari doesn't have the licensing any more for the games then NRS is the perfect team for the job.

Also, MKG is top tier.

I feel Pipeworks had the right direction with Save the Earth but Unleashed was way too rushed. If Atari doesn't have the licensing any more for the games then NRS is the perfect team for the job.

Also, MKG is top tier.
They don't have it anymore, and since WB and LP now have the rights and WB owns NRS....

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
There was already a game called King of the Monsters and it was pretty much exactly what you described:

Reactions: ZAQ

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I'd love to see this, it'd be interesting to see NRS branch out even further into a completely different type of fighter. I've loved plenty of monstrous combat games (King of the Monsters, War of the Monsters, various Godzilla titles, etc. ), and frankly, I think it's been far too long since a really good game of that niche genre's had a chance to shine.

It wasn't really a "fighter", but the best monster game I've played (and it wasn't recent) was called War of the Monsters for ps2. God I loved that game so much.
Shame the team is no longer together. They really caught lighting in a bottle. Even if it wasn't "Toruny Worthy" pre say a second game would have easily seen money thrown at it had it been made.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Shame the team is no longer together. They really caught lighting in a bottle. Even if it wasn't "Toruny Worthy" pre say a second game would have easily seen money thrown at it had it been made.
Damn, I was going to ask why a follow up game wasn't thought about. I figured it was a smaller cult following game or something like that, but the game literally had every bit monster archetype. Ape/Lizard/Alien/Robot etc. I found it from playing a demo, otherwise I never would of heard of the game.

Damn, I was going to ask why a follow up game wasn't thought about. I figured it was a smaller cult following game or something like that, but the game literally had every bit monster archetype. Ape/Lizard/Alien/Robot etc. I found it from playing a demo, otherwise I never would of heard of the game.
Well, it's available for download on whatever the PS equivalent of X-Box live is.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Actually I didn't make it. That's what Spacegodzilla actual origin is.
Impossible does not even begin to describe...:coffee:

It's cool though, I know I made my post kind of TLDR. XD
Gotcha. Well, Midway did create Rampage back in the day. I could see them creating a Smash type game with the Rampage/Godzilla license.

A look at their last Rampage game (ironically destroying Midway studios).

Rampage was so awesome on the N64 and PS1. I used to play those games with my sisters all the time.

To be 9 again...good times.

I'd love to see this, it'd be interesting to see NRS branch out even further into a completely different type of fighter. I've loved plenty of monstrous combat games (King of the Monsters, War of the Monsters, various Godzilla titles, etc. ), and frankly, I think it's been far too long since a really good game of that niche genre's had a chance to shine.
Well, if PR and LPG do well enough it might not be niche in the U.S. much longer. When other film studios see how well these two films do they're gonna do what everyone did when the super hero films brought in big money.

Jump on the bandwagon.