What's new

Match-up Discussion (1.06) Superman Matchup Discussion

4x4lo8o

Noob
Anything specific you're having trouble dealing with?
Getting in. Getting past orbs and pillars then dealing with trait 3 and Push.
He throws a ton of orbs in front of you, generally having a mb and a non-mb orb up and staggering them. While the orbs are up he either throws meteors and pillars or waits to teleport punish when you try to jump over orbs. If you try to sit there a run out his meter he starts to go heavier on pillars and meteors. He has a non-mb orb on top of or in front of you as often as possible.

Once you start to get in he starts using trait s3 and push to catch you as you move in. Trait 3 in particular seems impossible to whiff punish so he can just throw it out if he thinks you're going to jump or dash in. If he whiffs it and you're too slow reacting and dashing in he can throw it out again and catch the recovery on your dash.Push is a little easier, but it's still pretty difficult to get him to whiff it at a range where you can punish - especially if he's only using it when's expecting you dash into the edge of its range.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
Okay, so getting past this is all about knowing your opponents habits. Just make him whiff a pillar or meteor once and you're pretty much in. Try not to respect white orbs too much either. What a lot of people do when they play against Martian is respect everything about him. Martian gets away with murder because of this. Disrespecting him will catch him off guard.

If a Martian players is abusing standing 3 the best way to blow up its MBB3. If he's doing it on your dash ins and you know it's coming you can bait and punish with laser or take your free dash. When you get in to that mid range area it's not safe for a Martian to try and zone you so you can get away with a few laser checks if he's trying to run.

In this MU, like most, Supes wants to push his opponent into the corner and do his 1,000,000 % combos.

Bizzy

Noob
What matchups do you guys push block a lot in? I've started to push lock batman when he has bats on and have had some success but I'm wondering if push block is useful in other match ups
Push Block AM's Trident Rush.

If he's doing it on your dash ins and you know it's coming you can bait and punish with laser or take your free dash.
Careful with punishing with lasers. The Martian reading it correctly can lead to jump in's, or teleport in.

Any advice on maintaining pressure on Barman with f23 breath on corner? Due to Batmans jump frames, he can always jump back so AA f23 does not work. Also, i have run into Batman players that do b23 after they have blocked breath and when i try to whiff punish with f23, the bomb that Batman places knocks me out of my string. Any piece of advice is appreciated.

AlanC

Noob
Any advice on maintaining pressure on Barman with f23 breath on corner? Due to Batmans jump frames, he can always jump back so AA f23 does not work. Also, i have run into Batman players that do b23 after they have blocked breath and when i try to whiff punish with f23, the bomb that Batman places knocks me out of my string. Any piece of advice is appreciated.
It's all a guess if you think the batman player is going to jump back you jump and do j2 instead of another f23 breath, if they jump forward you can do 3 to anti air them

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Anyone have some advice against Flash or Wonder Woman? Flash's nj2 has insane active frames and it seems to escape all options I have in the corner and midscreen. WW's IA demi goddess is really safe and I can't do anything against her b1 pressure :\

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
You can push block her. If you read she will continue a string you can back dash but you might eat a b2. That's the guess. Her Demi goddess is safe if it's super low. If it isn't you can f2 punish (online not sure).

You shouldn't be in the air that much against flash bc you can get knocked out of the air with LU. A well timed j1 can trade or beat his j2 but it's a really good jump normal, not much you can do about it. You have very good footsies against him with your mobility, use it to your advantage. B22 is free to jb2, bait it.

Edit: superman can punish both regular and MB versions of LC very well so that limits some of his "get in for free" options

Last edited:
I need help with the hawkgirl match up. I play with one daily and hawk girl just flies over everything superman has, then does her 30-40% combos its really annoying...

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
In the WW mu I mostly have trouble playing footsies with her due to the superior range she has on a lot of her moves. That and her dash recovery is insanely fast. Even if she whiffs depending on the normal she can still recover before superman can get there. Plus once she corners superman, she can start abusing b2 and shield stance. The best way to play the mu IMO is to zone, zone and zone some more until you force her to make mistakes, but a good Wowo can make even zoning hard for you. I'm starting to actually think the mu might be 6-4 Wowo. Martian is out right 6-4 that character is stupid.

Endeavor

Opinions on the Lobo mu?
Lobo I think may be 5-5/6-4 superman. Lobo has a hard time with zoning plus superman can hit just as hard, if not harder than him. Once in the corner superman kinda mauls lobo and of course if lobo eats a divebomb at any point that can potentially be his entire life bar.

Decay

King of the Bill
Opinions on the Lobo mu?
It's bad. Superman can shoot lasers all day and lobo cannot load a nuke shell between lasers without getting pelted. Also, standing 3 for anti air doesn't work many times because supermans air dash has invincibility frames and also if you standing 3 and he air back dashes, he can punish lobo's sorry ass for trying. It's an uphill battle for lobo and when you finally get past the zoning, he is in control again and can has options. Upon knockdown, lobos oki is weak because superman has many wake-up options that make you fear going for a command grab. My best advice is to block his wake-up and punish it hard, unless it's breath, then you can't do shit unless you neutral jumped, which is scary to do seeing as how he has a rising grab.
Ughhhhhh I want an "I killed supes t-shirt" but the fact of the matter is I can't kill superman lol

Decay

King of the Bill
Lobo I think may be 5-5/6-4 superman. Lobo has a hard time with zoning plus superman can hit just as hard, if not harder than him. Once in the corner superman kinda mauls lobo and of course if lobo eats a divebomb at any point that can potentially be his entire life bar.
Zero chance it's 5-5

Endeavor

It's bad. Superman can shoot lasers all day and lobo cannot load a nuke shell between lasers without getting pelted. Also, standing 3 for anti air doesn't work many times because supermans air dash has invincibility frames and also if you standing 3 and he air back dashes, he can punish lobo's sorry ass for trying. It's an uphill battle for lobo and when you finally get past the zoning, he is in control again and can has options. Upon knockdown, lobos oki is weak because superman has many wake-up options that make you fear going for a command grab. My best advice is to block his wake-up and punish it hard, unless it's breath, then you can't do shit unless you neutral jumped, which is scary to do seeing as how he has a rising grab.
Ughhhhhh I want an "I killed supes t-shirt" but the fact of the matter is I can't kill superman lol
Lol he's as strong as he needs to be.

Decay

King of the Bill
Yeah like lex, Grundy and doomsday feel worse than superman matchup for lobo but it's still not great.

DarksydeDash

Oh goody we are talking about the main mane himself! I would say its a 6-4 in Superman's favor. Lobo gets destroyed by lasers so you hardly even need to worry about him up close. On top of that, Lobo is very meter dependant so all the meter the lasers build will always put Supes in the lead so Lobo will most likely lose the wager, and if he doesn't..well enjoy that 70+ percent in the corner. ;) Lastly, I don't know if this is for anyone else, but his forward dash is SSSSOOO easy to react to. You fought me before @Decay II wouldn't you agree?

DarksydeDash

On another note, you guys are going to laugh at this, I'm struggling with the Green Arrow matchup. :p His annoying pressure up close is hard to deal with and his j3 always snipes me out of the air. I know the match is based on zoning but this dude seems really hard to zone. I guess thats what happens when you take a 2 week hiatus of IJ and not playing GA in over like what? 2 months?

Decay

King of the Bill
Oh goody we are talking about the main mane himself! I would say its a 6-4 in Superman's favor. Lobo gets destroyed by lasers so you hardly even need to worry about him up close. On top of that, Lobo is very meter dependant so all the meter the lasers build will always put Supes in the lead so Lobo will most likely lose the wager, and if he doesn't..well enjoy that 70+ percent in the corner. ;) Lastly, I don't know if this is for anyone else, but his forward dash is SSSSOOO easy to react to. You fought me before @Decay II wouldn't you agree?
Yeah although that match I could of had if I didn't drop that combo after I beat you air to air! I had a meter and a dream! Lol

xQUANTUMx

On another note, you guys are going to laugh at this, I'm struggling with the Green Arrow matchup. :p His annoying pressure up close is hard to deal with and his j3 always snipes me out of the air. I know the match is based on zoning but this dude seems really hard to zone. I guess thats what happens when you take a 2 week hiatus of IJ and not playing GA in over like what? 2 months?
F2 and f2d13 you have to hold because they are plus. you can blow up d1 on block. Don't get annoyed by his reg arrows they are meant to force an error on your part, they do next to no damage. his wakeups are not so terrible you can make a good read and mb through them. For zoning I would say, be smart with it , you can eat a j3 or an ice arrow. know the count of how many special arrows he has (I.e. Ice arrow is 1, 2 electric arrows 3 fire arrows).

He can stagger with f2 and b2 if you're ducking. You can back dash the stagger strings and punish with f23. This is a match you do not overly dash in. He will blow up dashes with savage blast and ice arrow etc. This is totally a match where you can make him come to you IMO.

@Gh0sty

DarksydeDash

F2 and f2d13 you have to hold because they are plus. you can blow up d1 on block. Don't get annoyed by his reg arrows they are meant to force an error on your part, they do next to no damage. his wakeups are not so terrible you can make a good read and mb through them. For zoning I would say, be smart with it , you can eat a j3 or an ice arrow. know the count of how many special arrows he has (I.e. Ice arrow is 1, 2 electric arrows 3 fire arrows).

He can stagger with f2 and b2 if you're ducking. You can back dash the stagger strings and punish with f23. This is a match you do not overly dash in. He will blow up dashes with savage blast and ice arrow etc. This is totally a match where you can make him come to you IMO.

@Gh0sty
Well now, what about his d1 savage blast dash up pressure?

xQUANTUMx

Well now, what about his d1 savage blast dash up pressure?
It's not pressure if he creates distance and has to take a risk and try to close the distance he created. It's a footsie gimmick. he has to dash in and commit to something, like firing an arrow or j3. Rising grab nails j3 or at the very worst trades which sucks for him because he has to close space again. If you block an arrow, now what? The spacing is usually in your favor especially in the neutral game.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料

@Gh0sty
The more lame you play this MU the better. Don't get baited into reacting out of frustration to regular arrows by rushing in. Like was said, don't dash around. Just walk back, zone and punish GA's attempts to close the distance. You can back dash out of a lot of his pressure and jump ins as well.