What's new

“Must Be Jump Distance Away”

I’m curious as to whether other folks have have gripes with some of the brutality requirements, as well as the time stop moment at the end of a match mid kombo.

In comparison to mk11, requirements seem to be generally more friendly. I haven’t played every character yet, but hopping around the roster since launch I have yet to see anything like “must be over 50% health” or “Under 30% health” or “must be performed in a kombo with 7 hits”… stuff like that seems to have been left behind and personally I’m happy with that.

It also seems that most brutalities have something you need to press or hold to trigger them, meaning they can’t happen by accident if, for instance, you were doing a move as part of a sequence leading to a specific brutality you are trying to get, but cause an earlier move in the sequence triggers a brutal, you miss out on the one you wanted. This happened a lot for me with Kitana’s fan lift in mk11, but seems like less of an issue in this game, or perhaps altogether absent, which is awesome!

What has seemed to return is the distance requirement most notably for projectile moves with a brutal. I’ve never quite understood this as it seems like a measure taken to ensure the brutal happens less overall. It just seems kind of…stingy, lol . Shang was the first character I played when I got mk1 and was super happy when I realized his skull shot brutal worked anywhere, and you could even kombo into it. The distance thing was still there for his air ground skull in old form but that didn’t bug me as much cause I would mostly use that from range anyway. As I played other characters I noticed the distance thing was still there for them. It’s been frustrating unlocking them then realizing the opportunity to see them will be less due to the requirement. I’d just like to use them in a kombo to end the match in a cool way.

I hadn’t played Shang in a while so this week I was super bummed to see that it no longer works from and without Sub Zero or maybe Sektor kameos I don’t think it’s possible to combo it anymore. I just don’t see why they’re seems to be a constant effort made to make sure you can’t combo into these kinds of brutalities.

Just wanna know if others feel the same way and if anyone has insight on why this is done. Same with the time stop at the end that sometimes eats your inputs or throws of your timing. I didn’t play too much MKX but I’m pretty sure there was no interruption at the end in that game.

Thanks to anyone that reads/responds to this long post

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
The thing I am most annoyed about is the little slow down when you get the "Finish Him/Her" prompt. This was annoying as hell in MK11 and I honestly don't know why its still here and what purpose this serves. It makes me miss so many brutalities.

yes it is fucked up. I also hate the kameo fatals needing to be "mid screen" but its literally like 3/4 screen distance
The distances of this game, be it mid screen, jump distance, etc., are not accurate at all and feel very off compared to the last 3 games.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
I’m curious as to whether other folks have have gripes with some of the brutality requirements, as well as the time stop moment at the end of a match mid kombo.

In comparison to mk11, requirements seem to be generally more friendly. I haven’t played every character yet, but hopping around the roster since launch I have yet to see anything like “must be over 50% health” or “Under 30% health” or “must be performed in a kombo with 7 hits”… stuff like that seems to have been left behind and personally I’m happy with that.

It also seems that most brutalities have something you need to press or hold to trigger them, meaning they can’t happen by accident if, for instance, you were doing a move as part of a sequence leading to a specific brutality you are trying to get, but cause an earlier move in the sequence triggers a brutal, you miss out on the one you wanted. This happened a lot for me with Kitana’s fan lift in mk11, but seems like less of an issue in this game, or perhaps altogether absent, which is awesome!

What has seemed to return is the distance requirement most notably for projectile moves with a brutal. I’ve never quite understood this as it seems like a measure taken to ensure the brutal happens less overall. It just seems kind of…stingy, lol . Shang was the first character I played when I got mk1 and was super happy when I realized his skull shot brutal worked anywhere, and you could even kombo into it. The distance thing was still there for his air ground skull in old form but that didn’t bug me as much cause I would mostly use that from range anyway. As I played other characters I noticed the distance thing was still there for them. It’s been frustrating unlocking them then realizing the opportunity to see them will be less due to the requirement. I’d just like to use them in a kombo to end the match in a cool way.

I hadn’t played Shang in a while so this week I was super bummed to see that it no longer works from and without Sub Zero or maybe Sektor kameos I don’t think it’s possible to combo it anymore. I just don’t see why they’re seems to be a constant effort made to make sure you can’t combo into these kinds of brutalities.

Just wanna know if others feel the same way and if anyone has insight on why this is done. Same with the time stop at the end that sometimes eats your inputs or throws of your timing. I didn’t play too much MKX but I’m pretty sure there was no interruption at the end in that game.

Thanks to anyone that reads/responds to this long post
Yea fully agree.

My guess why its done is for animations not to glitch into eachother.

But yea like stryker second brutailty is jump distance away far grenade, not close one that used 90% the the time like so doublely unlikely.

And ones with projectiles in general annoying cant just combo into them cause not the set distance away

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I assumed the distance on certain brutals was a design kink(maybe a visual thing) rather rather then intentionally making it harder or whatever.

I assumed the distance on certain brutals was a design kink(maybe a visual thing) rather rather then intentionally making it harder or whatever.
That makes sense. Could be a way to avoid glitching. I do know for a fact Shang’s straight skull brutal worked perfectly fine at point blank range in a combo with no glitching, so I’m still upset about the change. Would be nice if they treated them individually instead of grouping them all into the jump distance range so as to not have to deal with potential glitching that may not even happen….