What's new

Zoning...Whats the issue?

ApertureBlack

The Only Player On The Wii U
If you are reffering to online play, zoning is frowned upon by it ease of use and the lag hurting the non zoner more as they have to play even more perfectly. Its not cheap, but its unfun for many in an online enviorment.

If you are reffering to offline play, noone cares.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The issue is actually a bit deeper than this.. A lot of people frown on what they consider to be "braindead zoning". What that means is, if the zoning takes just as much skill and thought to execute as it does for you to get through it, then a lot of players of an intermediate level consider that to be fair and will do what it takes to counteract it.

But if characters are introduced that seem to have very low risk for zoning and can continue to knock you back to fullscreen with ease, that annoys a lot of people because they feel they have to make absolutely 0 mistakes (and possibly get lucky as well) just to get past someone who is mindlessly spamming projectiles. Vanilla Cyborg was in this category.

The lowest level of players will complain about all types of zoning; but for people in the middle it depends on what the tradeoffs, how much skill is required to execute it, and if you are rewarded for making correct reads on the zoner.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
The issue is that 99% of the people who play this game are buttfuck stupid.

I don't understand the mentality. If I'm playing Sinestro and win because my opponent is free to fireballs and fuckoffrocks, I get ragemail alllll day calling me a spammer/fraud/scrub/[ban incoming]/guy-who-would-lose-a-fist-fight-IRL, but if I pick Superman and just f23~breath in their face for the whole match, I get a "gg" or requests to "practice sometime." The fuck is that shit? At least Sinestro baseballs/rocks are like -∞ on block.

No one has been able to explain the difference to me.

With "rushdown" both players can just smash their faces on the controller until someone wins, but when being zoned they're actually forced to think, which is a travesty.
If I didn't already know that you're from Massachusetts, I would now. <3

Guess this kinda answers the above question. I just think it's funny they don't mind spamming when the spamming is actually hard to deal with.

Anyway... for the benefit of everyone in the thread, I'll leave you with this swear-to-Christ legit transcript of a back and forth I had on XBL that explains this whole thread:

Random: omfg scrub no skill
Me: You're right, it took no skill to beat you.
Random: no i ment u
Me: I'm not sure if I'd admit that someone with no skill could beat me.
Random: SINESTRO IS SO FUCKING CHEAP U CANT DO NETHING EVEN IF U BLOCK
Me: Hm. I was under the impression it was bad to go full retard, but you make it work.
Random: SUCK A FUCKING DICK [ban incoming] GET SUM SKILL
Me: So we both agree that my last win didn't take any skill?
Random: YES [ban incoming]
Me: Then why are you yelling?
*silence*

/thread over?