What's new

Zoning...Whats the issue?

All i get is messages for quote on quote "zoning" and i need to "stay free". I didn't know that zoning was a issue that needs to be stopped in the first place. How you play is how you play i see no reason to complain about a style of play. So TYM users, i ask whoever reads this,Why is zoning frowned upon in I:GAU ?

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
It's frowned up online cause the majority are scrubs. On the forums, it's accepted cause it's "win by any means necessary" which is what top players tend to do

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
It is frowned upon because it is considered cheap and easy by the online community. The hardcore community doesn't care at all though. In general the mentality is that it is easier to zone than to get through the zoning. The rushdown character has to do more work to win.

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
Nori pretty much nailed this one. Real players will try to win by any means necessary and scrubs will blame you for their loss by any means necessary. Those same ppl are the reason we have 100 buff this/ nerf that threads.

Zoning + keep away are play styles, which are based on the gameplan to make the opponent impatient and do react / behave stupid, so that you can profit from it.

It looks like you're doing it just right, if you're experiencing stupid behaviour from your opponents.
Profit from it. Take screen shots, print them and immortalize them in a photo album. Then one day, when you have grand children you can tell them stories: "Aah, I remember this scrubby ass clown like it was yesterday! He thought jumping would be a good idea, but not with your old grandpa! I shot him in the face! Yeah, your grandpa had quite the good times, when he was young."

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
Another reason I could think of from the casual perspective is that it isn't as fun to play against a zoner. They are trying to get in and have fun the way they think a fighting game should be (rushdown) and their fun is attenuated by zoning. They feel as if you didn't deserve the win because you just spammed the same move. So they get angry. :p

For the type people that do frown upon zoning it's probably because of

-the risk/reward
-the effort it takes to zone vs. the effort it takes to get in
-getting knocked back once you do get in and having it start again

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
Zoning + keep away are play styles, which are based on the gameplan to make the opponent impatient and do react / behave stupid, so that you can profit from it.

It looks like you're doing it just right, if you're experiencing stupid behaviour from your opponents.
Profit from it. Take screen shots, print them and immortalize them in a photo album. Then one day, when you have grand children you can tell them stories: "Aah, I remember this scrubby ass clown like it was yesterday! He thought jumping would be a good idea, but not with your old grandpa! I shot him in the face! Yeah, your grandpa had quite the good times, when he was young."
I couldn't like this one a 2nd time so i quoted it to say I like it twice

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
All i get is messages for quote on quote "zoning" and i need to "stay free". I didn't know that zoning was a issue that needs to be stopped in the first place. How you play is how you play i see no reason to complain about a style of play. So TYM users, i ask whoever reads this,Why is zoning frowned upon in I:GAU ?
It is not just IGAU.. All fighters zoners are hated on.. It is sometimes hard to get around for a lot of people for multiple reasons:
1) lack basic defense
2) lack match up knowledge
3) are jump happy
4) lack patience

Zoners tend to slow down a match and if successful- keep people out. Some characters throughout all fighters historically lose flat out to proper zoning.

Those that do not respect zoning see a thin line between zoning and spamming.. And admittedly while that line is VERY thin.. There is a very big difference.

Let us take IGAU as our example:
Deathstroke-

Zoning- using all his tools to try and keep you away. If successful he will continue to do so until you make him do otherwise. However once opponent DOES get in, This DS knows exactly what to do to ensure his own safety, possibly bait and punish a reaction, send opponent back to full screen and continue with plan.

Spamming- player picks DS up and knows 2 moves- gunshot and pizzacutter sword flip. Player will use these 2 moves ONLY, regardless of outcome, and many times in the wrong situation. This will prove victorious over other poor players.. But against a better player will get this DS destroyed.

End of the day, people feel hurt that they were beat from across the screen and are angry that they not only lost, but were really not able to do anything with the match.

Soulful Nigma

Black Fenrir
Well in general I think it has to do with the charcters that can't get around zoning vey well. If you main a character like that it can be very frustrating to get pass zoning.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
While I do agree that zoning really shouldn't be frowned upon, anyone who justifies by saying they "NEED TO WIN BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY :mad: " is taking this game WAAAAY too seriously ;)

Error

DF2+R2
While I do agree that zoning really shouldn't be frowned upon, anyone who justifies by saying they "NEED TO WIN BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY :mad: " is taking this game WAAAAY too seriously ;)
Yeah, that's not the reason people zone, people zone because it is a legitimate style of play that some characters are built around, but casuals just don't understand. Good luck trying to rush down with Cyborg.

Their are differences in the "do whatever it takes" mentality and it's between on and offline. Let's be honest, online has a lot of things you can manipulate to cause issues like lag. Offline is all fair game so if you win then it's fair game.

Zoning is fine in general but online it's frowned upon because normally people who take advantage of lag are doing it. I hate how people still think spamming 2 moves and not understanding how they even work is zoning lol.

Error

DF2+R2
Their are differences in the "do whatever it takes" mentality and it's between on and offline. Let's be honest, online has a lot of things you can manipulate to cause issues like lag. Offline is all fair game so if you win then it's fair game.

Zoning is fine in general but online it's frowned upon because normally people who take advantage of lag are doing it. I hate how people still think spamming 2 moves and not understanding how they even work is zoning lol.
People who abuse lag don't only zone, more often than not they're jump kicking around like crazy and spamming unsafe moves only to get away with it.

I think the main issue people find with zoning is that if the zoner is playing their game, the zoned is not. With "rushdown" both players can just smash their faces on the controller until someone wins, but when being zoned they're actually forced to think, which is a travesty.

People who referr to zoning as spamming are spammers themselves, they just prefer to spam melee and it gives them some sort of self verification as a "real player"

Jagernaut

Training Mode
People who referr to zoning as spamming are spammers themselves, they just prefer to spam melee and it gives them some sort of self verification as a "real player"

I was kind of that guy today. I was in a DD mirror match and I kept spamming earthshake when he was in the corner. Of course, he sends some hate my way and I go about telling him, "You were cornered, I'm gonna fucking keep you there." he called it spam, while I claimed it to be zoning.

In the end, I really don't give a shit about defining or justifying the [ban incoming]ry I pulled on him (as earthshake is tough to block), but that was the 6th time he put himself there - might as well teach him a lesson. Besides, he picked DD.. That's MY shit.

Lol i can respect that. I go full retard on people who pick harley against me. But the difference between that and what i was saying is you had intention, it wasnt randomly doing moves. He didnt respect a certain aspect of your pressure so you exploited a weakness

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Lol i can respect that. I got full retard on people who pick harley against me. But the difference between that and what i was saying is you had intention, it wasnt randomly doing moves. He didnt respect a certain aspect of your pressure so you exploited a weakness
Wish I could like more than once :(

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Zoning is considered cheap by "online scrubs".
Teleporting to counteract zoning is considered cheap by "zoning masters".
No true zoning master considers teleporting cheap.

But there are some scrubs on this website masquerading as high level players who whine about zoning in every thread.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
I dislike the play style, but that's a personal preference. I understand it. To each his own. I'm assuming people online complain about it, because it's not fun for them to play against, and or they just don't know how to defend against it. This is coming from an online warrior. Off topic, but what I hate is losing a match to lag. I don't have the option of playing anyone offline though so there's nothing I can do. Back to the subject though I think people dislike zoning in online fighting games as much as people hate campers & spawn campers in call of duty. You just have to know how to get around it. Practice mode should help with any tactic, but playing online.... the lag makes things different. You cant control lag... Now I'm rambling. I'm done. Hope this helps you understand.