What's new

Your move is blocked. You're at a huge disadvantage. Why mash?

Should you mash after being at a huge disadvantage?

• Yes

Votes: 49 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 38.0%

• Total voters

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I would never try corp charge into corp charge without trait up against a good player. If you can't press a button within 23 frames I honestly shouldn't have to try it anyway lol.

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
I believe for most situations where you have an armor/invincible move, there's the idea of "I should be getting full combo punished anyway, so there's really no penalty to throwing out a move in case they mistime their punish."

But in instances were reactions are being tested, like with a whiffed LP SRK. I might sometimes be better just to block, cause your opponent might not be confident in his reactions, and may sit back and block to see if you'll do the second SRK.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
i hate when people play like this, especially when i expect them to play at an advanced lvl and they go and do garbage like unsafe divekick on block into ex cartwheel...and it ends up working cuz im expecting them to play smart and not do dumb stuff like that :I

cyke_out

Noob
There are basic rules you learn when playing a fighter.

Don't jump
Play safe
Some other third thing

And the bottom of the advanced rules is knowing when to break those rules and be random when you need to be.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I wouldn't mash after a blocked move unless it's safe :cool:

P.S. to the dude who said "don't jump in fighters" I disagree with that, the jump is in there for a reason but nobody should just "jump" for the sake of jumping around, without jumping you wouldn't be able to escape key situations nor do effective cross ups.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Why should a person feel bad that the opponent messed up? Do you feel bad when you whiff punish them? Do you feel bad when they drop a combo? It's their fault, not yours (you in general).
If we're talking something like Tantrum stance - Cartwheel then Harley has every right to D1 Cartwheel again if you mess up. If we're talking Lantern's Might/Corps Charge then the real question is why you're not punishing them.

I see top players in SF do this stuff all the time, such as SRK FADC SRK because they want to see what you do for future reference. For example, if you block it then next time they'll just do SRK FADC into more pressure because they know you won't punish them.

Here's an example for all you Football fans. When Stevie G slipped did Demba Ba stop, give the ball back and pat him on the head? No. That motherfucker took the ball with no remorse and won us the match.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
So
There are no non-jump effective crossups in any fighting games?
According to some people lol. I'm not one of them however. Unless he's referring to just randomly jumping around(which I don't know why any good or smart player would do that) lol

cyke_out

Noob
Training yourself to not jump teaches you to learn how to approach safely and improve your footsies. I have lost track on how many times I have played online scrubs that I can just stand there and anti air them everytime since the only way they know how to start their pressure is off of a jump in.

Once you learn how not to jump you can then learn the exception to that rule and know when you can jump. Such as when to punish a poorly spaced fireball, or with a safe jump set up.

It's the same with playing safe vs random or mashing after a disadvantaged move is blocked.

Knowing the rules and the exception to the rules is what separates the intermediate players who have memorized the rule book to the advanced players who can go off book when needed.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I would never try corp charge into corp charge without trait up against a good player. If you can't press a button within 23 frames I honestly shouldn't have to try it anyway lol.
I have definitely seen you do blocked supposedly-punishable Corp Charge into offense though online. We haven't played in a while, but it had me tossing my controller the last time we did :p

i hate when people play like this, especially when i expect them to play at an advanced lvl and they go and do garbage like unsafe divekick on block into ex cartwheel...and it ends up working cuz im expecting them to play smart and not do dumb stuff like that :I
There's no "smart" or "dumb" things in fighting games. There's only what works.

I have a hard time believing some players can't grasp this simple fundamental concept.

You are kind of playing a "one player game" if you expect your opponent to always play a certain way that you deem "right" or "smart". And that means you aren't playing at an advance level yourself or against smart human opponents. You're playing against an imaginary CPU with your preferred AI settings.

e.g. You only want to do your frame traps over and over again and get pissed when your opponent mashes DP. This is a wrong mentality that prevents too many players from improving.

Last edited:
People fail to take into consideration a move's startup time when determining whether or not it is punishable. For instance, if you only pay attention to recovery frames, Reptile's dash would seem easily punishable. The thing that makes it so hard is, it comes out so freaking fast, you have very little time to react, even if you block it. By the time my mind registers that I've blocked a dash, the window to punish is already gone. Same with Martian's low scoop, Sonya's divekick, and many many other moves. In my opinion, it is ok to test your opponent and make sure they are on point with their punishes, and if they aren't, throw in some more offense.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I have d1 mash tech that basically lets you mash while blocking and if there is an open frame the punish will come out....but thats none of my business

To be fair Injustice isn't the best example because you have zero escape/reversal options when you are standing with considerable frame disadvantage. You just have to guess high/low, you can't backdash and you can't mash reversal because only wake up attacks have invincibility.

So I guess some Injustice players don't really understand the concept of having actual counter options lol. It's only guess block or pushblock pretty much. And the option to mash buttons doesn't come up as much because of the poor mobility (walk speeds and dashes are horrible pressure options).

If reversals had invincibility and if jab, jab, walk up/dash, throw or frame trap was a legitimate strat in Injustice then players would understand the value and importance of mashing despite being in negative frames.