What's new

Your move is blocked. You're at a huge disadvantage. Why mash?

Should you mash after being at a huge disadvantage?

• Yes

Votes: 49 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 38.0%

• Total voters

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I once in a while do b12(-2) on block then dp(6f). Or I will whiff a dp and mash another out and catch my opponent reacting to my whiffed dp. Those are like reads though, when you know they will press buttons.

That's fine. I'm not talking about moves that are slightly disadvantageous. I still attack after being -4 lol. But moves like GL's lift, I'm sure you played someone who did lift into lift on block. Whaaaattt

Yoaks

A spaceman
Alot of it is reads. If I do Lobo's b12 and you block it I'm plus 4. So I get to do a d1. You can backdash or jump out. But if I read that I could do Low Hook, Hook Charge or s3. But than you could also d1 me outta those other options. Even tho I'm plus.

Last edited:
Ok this thread is kinda confusing.

What are your saying, is people should't do ex cartwhell after a blocked divekick? Why not do it if you do it exactly after the recovery frames? You will punish your opponent's failed (late) punish attempt.

If however, you are saying that people are mashing buttons before the recovery frames of divekick, then it's no point to do it.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free

What are your saying, is people should't do ex cartwhell after a blocked divekick? Why not do it if you do it exactly after the recovery frames? You will punish your opponent's failed (late) punish attempt.

If however, you are saying that people are mashing buttons before the recovery frames of divekick, then it's no point to do it.

What I am saying is when you do a move that is punishable on block, string or special, why are you mashing out an attack knowing you should and could be punished after having that move blocked?

Like is said, I could be wrong, and I understand that you can punish the attempt of the opponents missed punish. It just seems wrong to me lol.

Basically this thread is saying/asking: your string/special or w/e is blocked and you are at enough disadvantage to be punished. Would you or would you not mash afterwards and why?

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
You can look at it two ways:

1. If you're at a disadvantage you should expect to be punished. Blocking in case the opponent misses the punish is logical.

2. I'm at a disadvantage anyway. Why block when I'm still recovering. Nay, instead I shall mash because if they DO miss the punish, I could potentially be rewarded if I hit them. I've got nothing to lose.

In either case though it's still a read.
If someone misses a corps charge punish they could just as easily block your mashed second one and punish you 'for real.'

The really question here is:
What happens when Pinnochio says; "My nose is about to grow"

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
So my question is, why? Why do this? I mean, I think k it get it. After a blocked move, you're going to be punished anyways, so if you mash while the opponent misses the punish, you punish their punish attempt. Is that it? No shade to anyone who does this, but that seems extremely scrubby to me. I've even tried it once, and although I won, I felt so guilty knowing I got away with murder like that.
I feel that the opposite is even more true - I find it extremely "scrubby" and annoying when they don't take advantage of punish opportunities. THAT shows even more that they do not understand the basic mechanics of their move sets.

KDZ

It's amore, BABY.
You're limiting your mind to how frames can work. You're thinking too textbook.
Lets say I do something negative, where I'm at a disadvantage but not punishable, so attacking next is ill advised
Lets say my option there has been to backdash because the fastest moves you had that would interrupt my fastest moves in that scenario cant reach it.
To punish that backdash, you have to do a slower move that will reach it, or dash with me and punish with a faster move
I can in turn predict that scenario and attack with my fastest move, even at disadvantage, if I'm reasonably certain you'll try to stop my escape. Your slower move or movement is negating my frame disadvantage, and instead putting me in a pseudo "frame positive" scenario

Frames are something that can be manipulated by the minds behind them, like a magician. There's no real magic happening, just misdirection and sleight of hand.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You're limiting your mind to how frames can work. You're thinking too textbook.
Lets say I do something negative, where I'm at a disadvantage but not punishable, so attacking next is ill advised
Lets say my option there has been to backdash because the fastest moves you had that would interrupt my fastest moves in that scenario cant reach it.
To punish that backdash, you have to do a slower move that will reach it, or dash with me and punish with a faster move
I can in turn predict that scenario and attack with my fastest move, even at disadvantage, if I'm reasonably certain you'll try to stop my escape. Your slower move or movement is negating my frame disadvantage, and instead putting me in a pseudo "frame positive" scenario

Frames are something that can be manipulated by the minds behind them, like a magician. There's no real magic happening, just misdirection and sleight of hand.
This. All of this.

Not to mention, there's the fact that a player may not be on the punish. Humans aren't perfect, and sometimes mess up the easiest of things.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
No that isn't the mindset at all. At least not if I'm doing it. The way I look at it is I'm going to test you game one. As a reptile player, I'll elbow dash and elbow dash again. If you punish good on ya ill know to try and block. If not, I get damage and I know you have trouble punishing one of my most valuable moves. If you can't prove to me you can punish why should I respect frame data? However, if you can Punish I'll adjust...Most times, gotta keep my day walker title.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
If you're doing stuff like that you should be losing hard. And if you're winning, keep doing it because your opponent sucks. Either that or you're playing online and everyone sucks online.

BlastX21

Noob
I don't get why you (@xKhaoTik ) would feel guilty for taking advantage of your opponent blowing an opportunity. The Giants didn't feel guilty for the Patriots when Wes Welker dropped that pass in the super bowl. They took the win and celebrated. The ability to capitalize on things like that (such as punishes) is one characteristic of a good player. If they're unable to do that consistently, then thats one aspect of the game that you're just superior to your opponent to. Don't feel ashamed of that.

Last edited: