What's new

You gotta love NRS’s writing in that Lin Kuei video

So Smoke is said to not have any innate supernatural abilities like his “brothers” Scorpion and Sub-Zero…he uses “practical magic”..got it.

Yet…you have “supernatural” Scorpion who can literally teleport scaling a mountain side via his rope and spear…. moments later in text book supernatural fashion you see the magician known as Smoke rise to the top on a tornado lmao. He must have been trained by David Blaine.

Last edited:
Bonus Question:

Are the Lin Kuei now Ninja…or is Scorpion no longer one?

Last I remember, Sub-Zero detested being called a ninja and that the Lin Kuei were simply some other kind of warrior.

But now you have Scorpion…the objective ninja of the series amongst the Lin Kuei so what is it now?

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
It is a shame that we have to go into MK's story mode with the mindset that it's turn-your-brain-off, mindless fun. It would be nice to get excited for the story mode because they have a reputation of writing great stories with fun characters and good dialogue instead of just having really, really high production value.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I think its because it appeals to a wider audience and thus sells more. They might think that an avengers-like story (dumb plot, pretty effects and fights) casts a wider net than the intricate plot of Deception. Which imo, is stupid, as games with complex and rich plots are praised for it and make ENORMOUS success - see Nier Automata.

My friend got triggered about Lin Kuei defending Earthrrealm for free, like what's their budget? Does the governent support them?
I was like fuck off man

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Bonus Question:

Are the Lin Kuei now Ninja…or is Scorpion no longer one?

Last I remember, Sub-Zero detested being called a ninja and that the Lin Kuei were simply some other kind of warrior.

But now you have Scorpion…the objective ninja of the series amongst the Lin Kuei so what is it now?
they're all Ninjas now lmao.

I also wonder, if Hellfire power is still a thing, otherwise how is Kuai Liang dominating this?

molambo

(X ౪ X )
I think its because it appeals to a wider audience and thus sells more. They might think that an avengers-like story (dumb plot, pretty effects and fights) casts a wider net than the intricate plot of Deception. Which imo, is stupid, as games with complex and rich plots are praised for it and make ENORMOUS success - see Nier Automata.
Nier automata sold 7 m units due to its great story....you can't be serious.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Its literally drivel to me at this point. "The fate of the realms depends on it" Doesn't even mean anything anymore. When was the last time the fate of the realms wasn't in danger? They keep doing these "OH MY GOD! NOW, NOW, NOW THISSSSS IS THE BIGGEST THREAT EVER!!!" Storylines and its so tiring. Like you just rebooted the entire franchise. This was the moment you were supposed to scale back the story. For a while at least.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
they're all Ninjas now lmao.

I also wonder, if Hellfire power is still a thing, otherwise how is Kuai Liang dominating this?
I think Sub uses ice magic and Scorpion uses fire magic is how it works, instead of it being Sub’s race and Scorpion being a revenant.

Makes me wonder if / when Bi Han becomes Noob, he just learns “shadow” magic in addition to his ice powers.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So Smoke is said to not have any innate supernatural abilities like his “brothers” Scorpion and Sub-Zero…he uses “practical magic”..got it.

Yet…you have “supernatural” Scorpion who can literally teleport scaling a mountain side via his rope and spear…. moments later in text book supernatural fashion you see the magician known as Smoke rise to the top on a tornado lmao. He must have been trained by David Blaine.
It's possible that his teleport doesn't travel huge distances. Given the highly edited nature of the trailer, we don't know that the scene where Smoke is doing tornado things directly follows what we see of Sub and Scorp scaling a wall.

It's a New Era. Characters aren't going to behave or subscribe to previous canon/behavior. That's kind of the whole point.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Its literally drivel to me at this point. "The fate of the realms depends on it" Doesn't even mean anything anymore. When was the last time the fate of the realms wasn't in danger? They keep doing these "OH MY GOD! NOW, NOW, NOW THISSSSS IS THE BIGGEST THREAT EVER!!!" Storylines and its so tiring. Like you just rebooted the entire franchise. This was the moment you were supposed to scale back the story. For a while at least.
I can agree with this. All I want is a story about all the top martial artists in the realm coming together to fight in a tournament. A tournament aptly named, Mortal Kombat! It would be so dope to go back to the roots and simply have a tournament as the main storyline. Martial Art Tournaments are always so fckn cool, whether that’s in anime or any other media. Neither the games or the movies, for some reason, think an all out tournament to prove who’s the strongest is “enough”. But as I said, plenty of anime’s have proven otherwise time and time again. ¯\(ツ)

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I can't help but think that Liu Kang MUST lose his supreme god powers in this game, otherwise once the threat of multiverse god-shang is dealt with, they'd have to come up with something even bigger as a villain. What's bigger than a time-god-titan who can erase the universe itself???

It's possible that his teleport doesn't travel huge distances. Given the highly edited nature of the trailer, we don't know that the scene where Smoke is doing tornado things directly follows what we see of Sub and Scorp scaling a wall.

It's a New Era. Characters aren't going to behave or subscribe to previous canon/behavior. That's kind of the whole point.
Which is what makes this all feel like a regression.

Scorpion can travel to an entirely different dimension and to think NRS decided to neuter him in that regard is quite saddening.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Which is what makes this all feel like a regression.

Scorpion can travel to an entirely different dimension and to think NRS decided to neuter him in that regard is quite saddening.
He could only travel to the Netherrealm. And again - we don't know what will happen because the game isn't out, yet.

He could only travel to the Netherrealm. And again - we don't know what will happen because the game isn't out, yet.
Yes lol another dimension as I said. I don’t really buy the idea anyway that he can only teleport short distances in the new timeline. I just think NRS aren’t logical or aware of their own lore and character abilities.