What's new

Who are the most Overrated and Underrated Characters in MKX?

Temptress

Edenian Empress
I find it hilarious how the majority of the people saying that Scorpion & Quan Chi are "overrated" are Scorpion and Quan Chi mains. Loving the downplay, guys.

Overrated: Sonya

Underrated: Takeda

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
I can't speak on behalf of the overrated characters but Jax is hella underrated. He is a strong viable character with a complete bag of tools.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Over: Kung Lao, this Tempest shit too shall pass

Under: Jax, I've been saying Jax is top 5. People dont listen. He has every tool necessary with a fast full screen push that turns into a non-reactable comboable overhead. And a command grab that, in the corner can combo into the same command grab.

The fuck does this have to do with anything?

Stryker had restand options in MK9 and he was bottom tier, maybe even the worst character in the game entirely.

Inferno Scorp may have two restand options, but not everything he does results in that, his threats after knocking someone down are easily the worst between his three variations.
Stryker didn't have teleport cancels

CamRac

Noob
Under-rated: Ferra/Torr - especially in his solo variation
Underrated: Ferra/torr (Vicious and Lackey) maybe kano too not sure if that's TYM's real opinion of kano or they just want buffs
Overrated: Raiden (Thunder God)
I keep hearing people say this, but I'm not seeing it in practice. I'm familiar with the strengths (and weaknesses) of Vicious, but can someone explain to me what's going on with Lackey? I hear rumors of mad damage and Lackey potentially becoming the dominant variant, but I've never seen anything or done anything with Lackey to make me a believer.

I keep hearing people say this, but I'm not seeing it in practice. I'm familiar with the strengths (and weaknesses) of Vicious, but can someone explain to me what's going on with Lackey? I hear rumors of mad damage and Lackey potentially becoming the dominant variant, but I've never seen anything or done anything with Lackey to make me a believer.

Grr plays lackey

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
But that's basically what I said. Good characters are usually easier to win with, that's why they're good. Execution is really just something that with practice becomes muscle memory, even for characters like kabal. When able to use his tools correctly it essentially becomes easier to win.

I wouldn't call an easy execution character braindead just based on what they can preform with minimal practice. There's terrible characters in games where execution is barely needed and vice versa.

I'm essentially agreeing with your response. I just don't believe execution shoukd even be a factor when determining how good a character is. As long as it's humanly possible to do what's required to win practice will make it practical.

I got totally off track with my last post though because I'm skim reading and responding from my phone. I agree that scorpion is easy to use execution wise but he has to work to win.
tell that to any kenjutsu kenshi player.

CamRac

Noob
Grr plays lackey
I know he does, but take this match for instance:

What is Grr doing aside from just being a great player and knowing how to block? There are multiple times where could be getting more damage than what he got, but he opted for some sort of roll setup that doesn't even guarantee pressure (opponent can still tech roll). Like, so, there's no damage and there's no real mixup (Grr rarely used the b2/f2 50/50, which is also fuzzyable to some extent btw). All that happens is that FT is safe and Grr is hella patient. Where is the hidden strength of FT in Lackey that everyone is talking about?

Audit

Falls down too much
I know he does, but take this match for instance:

What is Grr doing aside from just being a great player and knowing how to block? There are multiple times where could be getting more damage than what he got, but he opted for some sort of roll setup that doesn't even guarantee pressure (opponent can still tech roll). Like, so, there's no damage and there's no real mixup (Grr rarely used the b2/f2 50/50, which is also fuzzyable to some extent btw). All that happens is that FT is safe and Grr is hella patient. Where is the hidden strength of FT in Lackey that everyone is talking about?
You have it pretty pegged. Most everything is fuzzy guardable, he gets zoned out by a lot of the cast and actually his damage is mediocre, as in his meterless damages is like %27 -%35 max. Also, the F2/B2 isn't safe. I'm not trying to second guess Grr here, or but the only time I saw him do F2 in that match he cancelled it into charge, which shouldn't be done. I bet there's some serious yomi going on between him and Steve in this set, and so you're seeing adaptations from multiple sets.

Hidden strengths though? He's projectile invincible on the beginning of his charge. No one uses it, but you can meterless charge through Erron Black's gun strings for a start, and this works on many of the cast in a similar fashion. His tick cmd throw is the best in the game, flat out. His command grab is just as good as Erron Black's. Probably the biggest plus for Lackey is that that 50/50 game that everyone hates goes away if he has meter due to his 4 hit armor charge on wakeup.

But like I said before, I think Lackey is the Oro of MKX, his worst matchups are some of the most played characters.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Overrated: Sub-Zero. No way in hell are we even top 10 or ever were, and people often stil offhandedly describe him as "top tier" just to avoid back-pedalling on all that whinging they had to do to get him nerfed, before anyone really had any idea where he was actually going to sit. The fact that so many people listed him as their overrated just goes to show, nobody really had any idea what they were talking about with all the whinging.

Honourable mention: Takeda. Feels like the weakest member of the cast, so slow, unsafe, defensive, and just all around crappy. Takeda mains are modest and not bitching for buffs, but I think he needs it.

Last edited:
Overrated: Sub-Zero. No way in hell are we even top 10 or ever were, and people often stil offhandedly describe him as "top tier" just to avoid back-pedalling on all that whinging they had to do to get him nerfed, before anyone really had any idea where he was actually going to sit. The fact that so many people listed him as their overrated just goes to show, nobody really had any idea what they were talking about with all the whinging.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Well I've been meaning to do a pros and cons on F/T variations so I'll take this opprotunity now

Vicious

PROS
Great footsies
safe 50/50s
good pressure with Ferra toss
great anti-zoning
Probably the least meter dependent character in the game
longest range NJP in the game
best sweep in the game
great corner pressure

CONS
short range d3
slow d1 (with ferra on your back)
less than optimal anti airs
poor run speed
probably the lowest damage in the game with no way to increase damage significantly with meter outside of X-ray
weak punishes with B121
terrible uppercut
giant hitbox
inconsistent ferra toss on smaller hitbox characters

Lackey

PROS
Best d1 in the game (longest range at 6f startup)
Tic throws
meterless armour
good damage
hard knockdown oki setups
decent anti-airs
safe specials if spaced properly
bf3 has projectile immunity on start up
armoured launcher
better b3(2+4) (safe and better oki)
Better choice than vicious in some specific matchups
4 hits of armour (+1 on startup? haven't tested) on ex charge

CONS
Average pressure at best
B23(2+4) is -10 on block (-6 with vicious)
B23(2+4) has slower startup at 23 frames (19 with vicious)
giant hitbox
poor runspeed
no projectiles
terrible uppercut

Last edited:

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
You talk about EBs gaps then leave out Sonyas lol.

She has gaps in almost all of her strings, including the OH low string. THEN she also has a gap between any string into Military stance, where an armor move beats out all of her MS options. Dont get me wrong, she's still good but people are beginning to exploit her weaknesses and that is why you are seeing less of her in tournament.

Also EBs gaps where exploited in the top 8 at TCW. DJT and FK both exploited the gap in f13 sand and also made reads on the 11212 command grab gaps. Even with the gaps Outlaw is still pretty good, although I think Marksman is way better.
I main Sonya and you can call me an uppplayer if you want, but her B14 can't be armored through if spaced correctly. I've been testing it with friends offline and it's only interruptible when you're too close, B1 has good range, just throw it out from a slight jump distance and when you're fine. Also, exploiting her gaps is not the easiest thing in the world.
Both her OH and low option from MS are unsafe, but I see a lot of players in tourneys not punishing it because they may be scared of the mixups that they forget it's punishable. Too much for one's brain. lmao

Last edited:
Underrated : Jacqui High Tech and Kotal Bood God

They both are not GREAT by they have very useful tools that are very under used right now .

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
I meant, after 20 minutes in the lab i could use him in game and online. (hes my counterpick for kano and jaqui)
I don't go to tournament as there isn't a huge scene in scotland but i go my local meetups etc, i can't really pretend i understand tournament pressure.

But i think if i can get the grasp of his most difficult tool in 20minutes and replicate it effectively in game, it can't be that bad. Kabals stuff too me forever, and as mentioned the other characters in this game have MUCH harder cancels.
Maybe so. Scorps are far from brain dead IMO though. I've never been one to downplay my characters, and HF Scorp is definitely terrifying despite how 'easy' his cancels might be. (which not all of them are. b3(hit)~FBRC 21 starters say hello)

Its not even 214 FBRC pressure that makes him scary, while the chip and meter build are insane, its the safe hitconfirms that he can get off them that make him terrifying. b3~FBRC into 21~Flame Aura alone is enough to make someone just sit and eat f2 all day.

A player with the ability to HC off anything with him is what makes him so scary. In that sense, he's very similar to Kabal from MK9. As Strykie said, Knowing how to do the tech =/= knowing how to apply the tech in every situation and maximize your opportunities. Also, I feel like I am the only person on the planet that thinks Raidens FBRCs are actually easier than scorpions. :|