What's new

Who are the biggest winners and losers of the patch?

I really don't like this defence of "xyz move sucks because NRS doesn't want that character to have a good xyz tool" As if that is sound reasoning for piss-poor design and shoddy craftsmanship.

If you are going to go out of your way to give a character a tool/move (especially in this case one that is designed to counter breakaway / directly affect the meta) why would you intentionally make said tool bad?

If you don't want a character to have a specific tool/move for balance purposes, just don't give them it!
This is my biggest issue with all of it. I think some people may be surprised with a few armor breakers being better than they think, but Scorpions really is an awkward example.

I could get that he isn't supposed to get it after MB teleport. I could get that in most cases it's a read break (since you should be able to just spear instead for a grounded combo at less damage). I can kinda get that it's slow so it's just flat out not going to work in most situations.

But does it fucking really need to completely whiff on d2 KB if they don't break? Now i haven't tested, only seen the vid, so maybe it's just him not timing it right, but that, to me, is the generic situation where EVERY armor break really should force at least a small mixup. Them not breaking and getting hit by the armor break, and taking little extra damage I could be fine with, since they're risking breaking and getting popped up, but just getting straight up nothing? Why?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I really don't like this defence of "xyz move sucks because NRS doesn't want that character to have a good xyz tool" As if that is sound reasoning for piss-poor design and shoddy craftsmanship.

If you are going to go out of your way to give a character a tool/move (especially in this case one that is designed to counter breakaway / directly affect the meta) why would you intentionally make said tool bad?

If you don't want a character to have a specific tool/move for balance purposes, just don't give them it!
I honestly blame everything on the awful variation system. If every character had one variation, every character would have access to an armor break, which could be balanced a lot easier. Now NRS have to spend time contemplating which variation(s) ought to have an armor break in addition to balancing the armor break itself.

I pray to God that we never see the variation system in an NRS fighting game again.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Are you stupid or are you fucking stupid?

70% of the armor breakers are unusable. Scorpion's armor breaker is LEGITIMATELY UNUSABLE. I DEMONSTRATE THIS IN THE VIDEO. IT WILL NEVER HIT.

The straight ignorance on this website is astonishing.
Here is a typical response from you, you even can't even hold a normal civil discusion without throwing out insults and then go on to behave like a victim.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Here is a typical response from you, you even can't even hold a normal civil discusion without throwing out insults and then go on to behave like a victim.
What victimhood am I trying to work here? You are literally wrong. Factually wrong. I can prove you factually wrong.

Shao Kahn was the biggest winner and the biggest loser all in one:

V3 getting an armor breaking move (DB1) does nothing for him whatsoever as it's a move that's only used for anti airs but who's using that when his S1 and even D2 are better options?

In all seriousness however the biggest loser truly is you, the player. You can't even select to purchase one of the characters to purchase and play with if you like to and sure there's towers for free to play but I want to be able to literally take that character i.e. Sheeva into the training mode and see what she has and doesn't have. I'm basically forced to buy a horrible deal just to play one character that I think I'd be interested in. Anyone else see the problem with that or is it just me?

DarkSado

Noob
Honestly some armor breaking move is really kool and kreative like Kitana Booty and Jade blazing nitro. Some character like Sindel is horrible they should have made it DB4 from her first variation.

Shao Kahn was the biggest winner and the biggest loser all in one:

V3 getting an armor breaking move (DB1) does nothing for him whatsoever as it's a move that's only used for anti airs but who's using that when his S1 and even D2 are better options?

In all seriousness however the biggest loser truly is you, the player. You can't even select to purchase one of the characters to purchase and play with if you like to and sure there's towers for free to play but I want to be able to literally take that character i.e. Sheeva into the training mode and see what she has and doesn't have. I'm basically forced to buy a horrible deal just to play one character that I think I'd be interested in. Anyone else see the problem with that or is it just me?
What do you mean? You can't breakaway unless you're airborne anyway, it's actually one of the better armour breakers they gave! You won't be able to use it for FB but for normal mid combo breakaways, it's better than a D2 and it looks cool as hell with the option for amplifying for even more damage if you want to spend another bar. Basic V3 combo for breakaway call out would be something like F3,4-BF3(AMP)-DB1(armour break)(AMP)-dash-4-BF3.

They'll probably let you buy them individually relatively soon so you'll be all the wiser by saving your money, letting people find some tech and then running with it when it's cheaper.

Biggest winners are definitely Raiden, Shao, Geras's sand trap armour break could be very good. I actually think this is a pretty great patch.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The funniest thing is that although I actually don't know you that well @M2Dave , I know you well enough to know this thread has a secret agenda of trying to downplay Robocop and not have him nerfed like your mains in previous games :)
LOL. I have no agenda. I realize that my best fighting game moments are past me.

Besides, you have played me before and you know that my best character is Highborn Kitana, whom I have massively up played on TYM.

I like V2 Robocop and I think he could be very strong.

VELL1

Noob
ok so shao still needs more imo butttt

just give him a d3 thats more than +10 like 90% of the cast and I can deal. Make it so d3 into stand 1 isn't a 1 frame link jail. Unnecessarily tight. Still would want more, but let him jail like other chars with bad mids that rely on highs and we good to go.
The only thing that Shao needs is his F34 being safe. I don't understand the point of making it unsafe.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
The only thing that Shao needs is his F34 being safe. I don't understand the point of making it unsafe.
it aint happening at this point so why even ask
they've had a year
still left the gap in, and now made it unsafe on block to boot

they hate and fear the move and don't want people to ever truly enjoy it.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
People coming for chernyy are just ignoring the points he’s making. Yeah I agree he says some dumb and crazy shit sometimes but ffs people the man is right lol. I don’t think being aggressive is the way about getting problems fixed, but NRS clearly don’t understand balancing at fucking all. Its just bandaid fixes and almost trolling levels of handling things.

Sunny_D

Green Arrows personal Shooty guy
Would have preferred breakers. Dont fix whats not broken. For a neutral focused game, they really dont like a neutral resetting mechanic they boasted about in Mkx. They are always so stubborn to undo anything they add.

I think people are missing the point of some of these armor breaking moves. When it comes to breakaway the devs seem to want the attacker to make a read. This was the case before the patch and is still the case now. D2 kb is now super viable to get crazy amounts of damage even if they have breaker. Subs works the same way as scorpions in regards to landing it. If I land a D2 kb, I immediately go for the boot. If they break they eat 42 percent. If they don't I'm safe. You still have to read when they are going to break and keep track of your opponents meter. Also I'm surprised no one is talking about how they reset the damage counter after a breakaway has been performed. For Sub D2 kb into fatal blow is 50 percent now if they choose to break.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Skarlet is a huge loser in this patch. Nothing of any real use. Still has all her gaps. Garbage armor breaker.
not really and i disagree
She is not a winner indeed but she is not a loser either, her buffs the armor break might need some fixing but the shit she gets to do to you when you're cornered it's much better than previous Skarlet.
On top of all her normals becoming a consistent launcher, having 30% damage at cost of 1 bar from almost any normal
Turning ALL her normals into launchers at cost of 1 bar
50-50 game at the wall with low, overheads, highs and throws
and an actual teleport, i think those changes are things she needed, of course they didn't touch the gaps and the armor break needs fixing but i have some ideas for it and hope they use it.
If they allow a vertical launch if armor breaks Skarlet will be fine
If they allow her to use any KB on juggle after she armor breaks Skarlet will be fun, like you do amp bf3 and go for D2 KB, B2 KB or B1, 2 KB this would make skarlet very original.

Last edited:

Parasurama

Dragon
from me just playing with it I was able to do some stuff with the armor break but honestly scorpion got placebo buffs. He got nothing he needed and while getting a kb on back throw is nice I would actually like hitbox changes for my mids bc as of now my mids are getting low profiled by certain normals, and to have my d4 back it was a dumb nerf and should be reverted
d1 on hit nerf was dumber, why reduce the plus frames on hit?? Do they want people mashing and micro ducking?