What's new

When will studios stop making terrible "horror" movies?

Are recent horror movies good?

• Yes

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Hell No

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Btw I think I'm the only person who actually liked "Grave Encounters". I thought the movie was pretty well executed and the sequel, despite slow at start, picked up really well.

I watch alot of horror movies because I enjoy the genre. I'm kinda wierd lol.
Love the first one but I felt like the second one let me down a bit.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Came in here to mention The Conjuring, but everyone knows about that. Annabelle is cheeks, horror movies blow now. The only people I actually trust with horror suggestions anyways are @R.E.O. and @rev0lver

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
Oh didn't know they switched directors for "Annabelle". Oh my god he directed "Mortal Kombat: Annihilation"...
yea.... i just hope they aren't doomed forever, you'd think after a decade of just shit for the most part, they would learn and adapt. i really hope we get a good one soon

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
that one was ok too. but i think there was 1 too many jump scares

Jump scares are something that should be expected with horror: misdirection, build up, anticipation, etc all leading to one, explosive release. In your face jump scares are dumb though like the bunny in Silent Hill 2 movie.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Wait. Cloverfield was consider Horror?

It's a monster movie, it has creatures that infect people, it has a horror atmosphere at times, I'd classify it as such. If Shaun of the Dead can be Horror-Comedy dunno why this wouldn't be horror.

Edit: I'll go further and say if things like Chucky is horror then why not?

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
Ring was good because it wasn't meant to be anything gore-y so it could get away with its PG-13 rating, Grudge was AWFUL and I will NEVER understand why people enjoy that movie.
I'm confused as to what the Japanese find so scary about hair. I know those are American remakes, but the Japanese versions have EVEN MORE hair "scares" in them. The Japanese version of One Missed Call has a lot of hair too. Heck, Japan even has a horror movie about haunted hair extensions. What do they have against keratin over there?

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
It's a monster movie, it has creatures that infect people, it has a horror atmosphere at times, I'd classify it as such. If Shaun of the Dead can be Horror-Comedy dunno why this wouldn't be horror.

Edit: I'll go further and say if things like Chucky is horror then why not?
Oh ok. I was thinking Cloverfield is in the same genre as Godzilla & Pacific Rim (Adventure/Sci-Fiction).

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Oh ok. I was thinking Cloverfield is in the same genre as Godzilla & Pacific Rim (Adventure/Sci-Fiction).

Pacific Rim is comparable to Transformers except you switch the bad Robots to Monsters. Godzilla movies never really had a horror atmosphere, it was about taking the monster(s) down more than anything, comparable to an Independence Day or Battle: Los Angeles.

Horror movies are just terrible nowadays. I think this video explains why perfectly:

One of the great points made are jump scares. They're overused. They're cheap and easy way to frighten an audience, but really, it's nothing more than the horror equivalent of a fart-joke, it may get a reaction out of us at the moment, but it doesn't contribute to the film in a meaningful way. But horrormovies insist on just consisting of nothing but them, and using them constantly. That's not horror, that's blowing a bullhorn in my ear and screaming in my face every ten minutes.

Horror directors need to re-watch The Exorcist. Learn how it's done properly.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I completely disagree with this thread. The problem isn't that there haven't been good horror movies, it's that good horror movies oftentimes aren't marketable. When you get past PG-13, which is necessary for almost every real horror movie, you're already saying this won't sell like Frozen. So when we do have marketable horror, it comes from big-name actors or promises of jump scares so they can market it as super scary rather than going by the basis of its story and atmosphere. The only great big horror movies I can think of from the past few years are Cabin in the Woods (for reasons already stated) and Sinister, which wasn't god's gift to the genre but had great atmospheric aspects. The V/H/S movies picked up a good following online and have been good too with some exceptions. Oculus came out earlier this year and it was amazing IMO, I'm not sure how well it was promoted but it's definitely one to check out.

For the most part you have to look a little bit deeper to find good movies, but they're definitely there. I'll list some from the past few years -

- Resolution - Cabin in the Woods-type movie that goes into some real meta shit.
- Lake Mungo - Australian mockumentary that scared me more than any other movie I can think of
- Triangle - Great mindfuck movie
- Kill List - British movie that I can't even explain well because of how weird it gets, but it's amazing
- Absentia - By the same guy who made Oculus. Lower-budget but emotional and creepy
- No One Lives - Not great but worth mentioning because it's well-done violence if you're into that
- The Collector/The Collection - Also not like Oscar worthy but super entertaining
- Maniac - Easily the most disturbing movie I've ever seen, in a good way kind of
- Pontypool - A non-generic zombie movie with a weird aspect to it but done really well, and I don't even care for zombie movies
- REC (and its sequels) - I shouldn't have to explain this haha. But it's awesome. The American remake (Quarantine) is done decently but its sequel sucked
- 1408 - Super underrated imo. I guess this is bigger but I forgot to mention it
- Inside - Probably the best of the extreme French movies
- The Shrine - Could've been better, but still good

Last edited: