What's new

When will studios stop making terrible "horror" movies?

Are recent horror movies good?

• Yes

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Hell No

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
I haven't read the whole thread yet but in my opinion the reason there aren't many good horror movies is because it's really hard to do, possibly the hardest genre of movie to do well. It's hard to scare people these days and you have to keep finding creative ways to do so. The Exorcist is the perfect horror film in my opinion. The most recent one I thought did well was Saw (not exactly scary but oozing with atmosphere and tension)

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
There is a difference between Horror movie and Jumpscare movie. The most "horror" movies you see nowdays are just cheap ass jumpscare movies. I'll still name my favorite jumpscare movie and my favorite horror movie:

HUSK: A bunch of young people strand near a house in spooky cornfields with scarecrows running around...
(^ Fun and enjoyable jumpscare movie. It's lighthearted and has a cool atmosphere.)

FOUND: A young kid has a brother, who has heads of dead people inside his closet...
(^ THAT is a fucking HORROR movie. It's pretty much the most horrfic movie I've ever seen and I've watched A SERBIAN FILM.)
A Serbian Film is laughably bad.

The best horror film to come out in recent years is Lars von Trier's Antichrist, that film fucked me up psychologically.

Last edited:

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Also while it isn't a horror movie Pans Labyrinth had the perfect freaking monster oh my god that thing was scary, no jump scares whatsoever you see that thing start moving and you start squirming in your seat and want to get the hell out.

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
Del Toro made Pacific Rim to be a love letter to various kaiju films like Godzilla, Gamera, Ultraman, as well as Mecha gnera anime like Gundam and Robotech.

So Shalon is right, it fits in with Godzilla and Clover as much as it does Voltron.

Do not be fooled by the sequels.

The 1954 film is very much a horror film as it deals with the themes of nuclear war.

Man looses in most of the films and it's just down to Godzilla vs another monster. It's like a volcano vs a tornado. Nothing we can do but hope the worst one losses so our losses our cut.:DOGE
New godzilla is terrible

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I thought Insidious was pretty good but pt 2 actually made me think less of the first movie lol. I blame @GuamoKun for telling me it's legit

The rewind scene is literally one of my favorite scenes of any movie. He's just like naw fuck that this isn't the movie you want it to be. But the movie isn't even meant to be a horror movie, it's a critique of them, to tease what you want to happen and throw it all away.

You should check out my list. Grave Encounters was a fun movie but, like you said, it's hard to call it good. Also Grave Encounters is Canadian lol. As far as American movies go, check out Mike Flanagan's movies (Absentia, Oculus, Somnia coming out next year) and Benson+Morehead (Resolution, VHS Viral, Spring coming out next year and has a pretty good trailer). http://testyourmight.com/threads/when-will-studios-stop-making-terrible-horror-movies.46469/page-2#post-1506892

Also if you like found footage stuff like that you should watch Europa Report, Home Movie, Trollhunter (not rly scary but surprisingly good), and Apartment 143 (kind of dumb but still fun). Atrocious is pretty intense too but there's not enough of a story.
I didnt like Absentia, was too slow for me. Oculus was pretty good though, I enjoyed the lore about the mirror and Amy Pond was pretty good in it.

To answer the question. When people stop giving this shit money. Otherwise get ready to see Paranormal activity 7: Reckoning of thr Damned, the final recording DEATH EDITION

New Godzilla is fine, maybe its been too long and nostalgia may have gotten the best of you?
The issue was the movie killed of their best actors in the first 30 minutes, gave their only decent surviving actor- Ken Watanabe- hardly any screen time (even though his conflict was the most interesting), and then gave the majority of the screen time to an extremely boring protagonist and cringe-worthy cliche sub plots.

A big problem is- any time you introduce a small child into a situation, you 100% kill any tension that might be there, because you know a PG-13 movie isn't going to kill a kid in front of you- the danger becomes fake and the audience is no longer vested in the outcome of that situation as a result.

So tack on to an already bad lead actor that there are multiple instances in which the movie shoots itself in the foot by using kids.

sorry, but oh my god this movie just makes me so mad. These are such easy mistakes to avoid.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
The issue was the movie killed of their best actors in the first 30 minutes, gave their only decent surviving actor- Ken Watanabe- hardly any screen time (even though his conflict was the most interesting), and then gave the majority of the screen time to an extremely boring protagonist and cringe-worthy cliche sub plots.

A big problem is- any time you introduce a small child into a situation, you 100% kill any tension that might be there, because you know a PG-13 movie isn't going to kill a kid in front of you- the danger becomes fake and the audience is no longer vested in the outcome of that situation as a result.

So tack on to an already bad lead actor that there are multiple instances in which the movie shoots itself in the foot by using kids.

sorry, but oh my god this movie just makes me so mad. These are such easy mistakes to avoid.
Yea true but it was a decent Kaiju-esque movie, hopefully the sequel fixes these mistakes, hell just do Pacific Rim X Godzilla

Clark L.

F1 ftw.

^^^^

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Finally watched Conjuring last night. Wasn't really scary, but I enjoyed it.