What's new

What would the tier list look like if traits were removed?

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
you have traitless green lantern at #10 and B tier.....
Yeah the more I think about that one, he should be a few spaces down. He would still be ok though, he would just have to settle for like 25% on every combo. His zoning/anti-air/footsie capabilities would all be there (minus full-screen machine gun).

Lets not forget that Aquaman wins with D1~Trident Rush. Him losing trait has no factor if your playing the MU properly without having to rely on risky mistakes. Just don't get caught and you won't need to trait, but Batgirl is #1 in this teir because trait only affects physical damage vs chip damage.
Yeah I don't think he would instantly become this shit character like people are saying. No one with trident rush and FTD can be shitty.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
Yeah I don't think he would instantly become this shit character like people are saying. No one with trident rush and FTD can be shitty.
I may have exaggerated when I said he was number 1, but he isn't as bad as they're making him out to be. It's like taking away Kabal's NDC and see if he becomes useless. I know both games and characters are different, but their tools stay the same! AM can still zone and get in close. Still has mixups and that range!

Last edited:

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Deathstroke would get bumped up to A tier.

A tier
4. Aquaman -will no longer be able to avoid grounded combos
5. Martian Manhunter - will no longer out footsie at trait distance
6. Harley Quinn- matchup stays the same
7. Zatanna*- matchup stays the same
8. Flash - Risk/reward nerf for the flash would make this a 6-4 instead of 7-3.
9. Killer Frost*- Matchup stays the same

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Here we go....

To start, Joker isn't garbage when you have the resets that he is capable of and the corner game he has when he touches you. He isn't the strongest zoner but he can keep majority out, not like MMH or AM, but he can hold his own; and there's pushblock. He is reminiscent of Cyrax in that sense where once they touch you, it makes up for the damage they've been missing out on and eventually even more.

As for specials as a whole, I'll repeat, I said up close and I said meterless. Moves already like flying uppercut, corps charge, lasso spin and things of the sort. Doesn't need to be -15 to be deemed punishable/unsafe; several -7 moves on block that DO get punished if the player knows the MU. Silly moves like ice breath, lightning cage, mace charge, black ice, etc. that have so much pushback AND/or are safe if not advantage is again, obnoxious. If it's going to have that much pushback, (purely my thought here) it should be where you wouldn't get punished but you can't backdash out from fast follow ups.

When it comes to armor, tbh I'm just gonna say tough. There shouldn't be a go to free armor setup that can't be dealt with by pretty much everyone. Sounds like a braindead point of view to say meterless armor is a must -____- Really now, all this does is make you think twice before just moving in not giving a care in the world simply because you can, but instead makes you lay out your play and adapt to different scenarios. Speaking of which, if interactibles are such a must so you feel good enough to say it's something 'new' (which it isn't), they should be blockable for 5% chip. Is that fair enough or is that going too far for currently unblockable, tracking damage?

Doomsday's venom charge ***meterless*** already is unsafe the way it should be. You gain advantage spending meter, as it should be, which is exactly what I said, now it being two times. And to wind back to Bane and Grundy, you still have your grabs, Grundy still has a huge damage output, they could buff Bane's damage a bit if he'd no longer have trait, but they can still set you up. Like Aquaman, you'd now only have to pay for your mistakes now. My sincerest apologies that owning up to these mistakes is such a bad thing -__- And I'll repeat it AGAIN, characters that rely on trait as their move set like GA and Ares should just have these specific moves turned to specials. They can buff the speed and change the properties to being lows and overheads so you'd have a good mix up game if you make the right reads.

The point is, think before you leap. Don't expect there to be a soft landing all the time. That's what this is all about
So really what you're saying is that every character should play the same in the style you like because any other style is tough (bit of a strawman but you get the idea). Armour is an integral part of Bane and Grundy's game play. Without it they become instantly shit. They have no way to close the gap against several characters and that's just "tough".

Also, interactables are what they are. There are several ways to deal with every interactable and they only serve to add deeper mechanics to the game. If you can't punish interactables by this point in the game you're not playing properly. To say that they should be blockable and do 5% chip is to nullify several setups which only serve to enrich the game.

Li1mightymouse

super-squishii
Don't you think Shazam should move up a tier at least one. With out his trait, he is still a decent fighter. Plus that Batman matchup just turned into 10-0 without bats lol.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Don't you think Shazam should move up a tier at least one. With out his trait, he is still a decent fighter. Plus that Batman matchup just turned into 10-0 without bats lol.
I think I was actually really generous to Shazam. I consider him a bottom 5 character as is, so he got moved up a lot. This still wouldn't fix the multitude of basic problems he has.

Forbidden_Donut

"You think you bad? Pffft, You ain't bad.."
Man it's hilarious to think just how terrible green arrow would be without his trait.. In a really depressing sort of way lol.. He would be the undisputed worst in the game alongside bane. The only redeeming quality I can think of is his meter building leading to bounce cancel combos. That's it.

This was a great post, I was just talking to @The_SNKE about this the other day. I think we put batgirl and killer frost much higher though ;)

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Here we go....

To start, Joker isn't garbage when you have the resets that he is capable of and the corner game he has when he touches you. He isn't the strongest zoner but he can keep majority out, not like MMH or AM, but he can hold his own; and there's pushblock. He is reminiscent of Cyrax in that sense where once they touch you, it makes up for the damage they've been missing out on and eventually even more.

As for specials as a whole, I'll repeat, I said up close and I said meterless. Moves already like flying uppercut, corps charge, lasso spin and things of the sort. Doesn't need to be -15 to be deemed punishable/unsafe; several -7 moves on block that DO get punished if the player knows the MU. Silly moves like ice breath, lightning cage, mace charge, black ice, etc. that have so much pushback AND/or are safe if not advantage is again, obnoxious. If it's going to have that much pushback, (purely my thought here) it should be where you wouldn't get punished but you can't backdash out from fast follow ups.

When it comes to armor, tbh I'm just gonna say tough. There shouldn't be a go to free armor setup that can't be dealt with by pretty much everyone. Sounds like a braindead point of view to say meterless armor is a must -____- Really now, all this does is make you think twice before just moving in not giving a care in the world simply because you can, but instead makes you lay out your play and adapt to different scenarios. Speaking of which, if interactibles are such a must so you feel good enough to say it's something 'new' (which it isn't), they should be blockable for 5% chip. Is that fair enough or is that going too far for currently unblockable, tracking damage?

Doomsday's venom charge ***meterless*** already is unsafe the way it should be. You gain advantage spending meter, as it should be, which is exactly what I said, now it being two times. And to wind back to Bane and Grundy, you still have your grabs, Grundy still has a huge damage output, they could buff Bane's damage a bit if he'd no longer have trait, but they can still set you up. Like Aquaman, you'd now only have to pay for your mistakes now. My sincerest apologies that owning up to these mistakes is such a bad thing -__- And I'll repeat it AGAIN, characters that rely on trait as their move set like GA and Ares should just have these specific moves turned to specials. They can buff the speed and change the properties to being lows and overheads so you'd have a good mix up game if you make the right reads.

The point is, think before you leap. Don't expect there to be a soft landing all the time. That's what this is all about
Ahhhh I missed the sentence in your first post when you said MB specials would still get advantaged on block.

That said, you missed my basic point, which is essentially that it's not that simple.

For example, Bane can't set anything up without armor, meaning he would need to eat a bar pretty much every attack while not really building it back. You would have to completely revamp his moveset.
GL would become worthless outside of Oa's rocket zoning.

You can't just throw a broad generalization like this and have it work, especially since some characters get to keep their dirt (Batgirl!) while others lose everything (Bane). You would need to redesign the entire game.

To be perfectly honest though, I think the game is *for the most part* fine as is though. You could tweak numbers on a few moves here or there and fix certain mid whiffing issues but that's about all it could need.

Also I'm confused as to what armor setups can't be dealt with by anyone? The only one I can think of that isn't a guessing game but rather a straight "fuck you" situation is a 2 bar Joker corner reset, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you were thinking of.

On a side note, I am very well aware of what Joker can do. I am one of like 5 people still finding tech for him.
What I was trying to illustrate by bringing that up is that I'm not defending brain dead tactics to use them myself; I'm using a perceived garbage character who doesn't really have braindead tactics.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Yeah the more I think about that one, he should be a few spaces down. He would still be ok though, he would just have to settle for like 25% on every combo. His zoning/anti-air/footsie capabilities would all be there (minus full-screen machine gun).
he would be alot worse, less damage, less reset/setup possibilities, no more machine gun zoning. him not having trait would make him use meter alot more since he cant b13 trait he'd have to mb lm and still only get about 29% b1 is only half as threatening without trait

Justice

Noob
Ah I don't really know a lot about him. I feel you though

So it's not really that useful other than a wake-up. I never see Bit combo into it, and I know from screwing around with her that it adds next to no damage.
Naked, a full trait is 5 hits and does 23%. As an extender, it depends on the string that you're replacing for the kombo ender for damage. It's always a good thing to do extra damage, but the tradeoff with using trait vs other enders is that you are denying yourself a tool if you get into trouble. The best times to use trait as anything but a wakeup is to end a round/match or if your opponent doesn't get close on knockdown.