What's new

Question What makes MK9 stand out?

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
In all seriousness though, things I do miss from MK9:
  • The color palette -- both stages and characters were bright, vibrant, colorful, and just looked like MK. The vibe in the Online Play section was amazing and really felt like Shao Khan's dungeon.
  • The feeling -- something about it just felt happier and less serious. This might have to do with the general art direction, but I feel like MK9 perfectly nailed the spirit of those older MKs.
There's one stage in MKX that feels this way, and it's -- you guessed it -- the throwback Pit stage adapted from MK9.
^THIS and the damn Kombat Kodes... WHERE are my MKX kombat codes?????

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
But NOTHING is worse than knowing the opponent is trying to baby you, and you do everything you can to prevent it, and it still happens lol. THAT was salt worthy. Like....damn
Reminds me of Tyrant vs CD at MLG Columbus 2012 in the rooms lmfao. Lmao Tyrant wasn't having it on the babies so he would go to player select when he lost...then CD decided to try and unplug his pad. Too bad Tyrant was using a PSN pad lmfao. God these MK9 memories... <3

REO

Undead
And yet you can't place with any character.
I can't place? I probably have around the same number of top eight placements that you have accumulated in MKX. Your inflated ego is starting to give you selective memory.

You're also one of the worst people i've played in the shinnok match. I'm not going to listen to someone who has no idea how to fight the character. It sounds like someone else is butthurt lol.
Probably just as horrendous as you are in the Sonya and D'Vorah match-ups.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
I can't place? I probably have around the same number of top eight placements that you have accumulated in MKX. Your inflated ego is starting to give you selective memory.

checkmate LOL

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Let's be honest if MK15 had everything MK9 had and better there will still be hot threads like this of old schoolers saying "yep, they where the days, I wish we had them days back"

For most players here it's the game they lost their virginity too, their first love

Was the sex great, yes it was the first time releasing the pipe but was as great as you remembered probably not, will you have better for sure, but you are always going to look back at those days as the best days no matter what.
That's my take

Hell will happen to MKX too by then the time will pass the bullshit will blur away the bad times will be forgetting the better the times will be remembered, people will miss them etc etc

There is actually a name for this phenomenon I'll edit it when I remember.

For the record I think MK9 was a fundamentally more sounder game because it was more safe in execution.

Last edited:

Israel

Noob
But NOTHING is worse than knowing the opponent is trying to baby you, and you do everything you can to prevent it, and it still happens lol. THAT was salt worthy. Like....damn
i've only gotten babied once, Man..a friend of mine at the time Babied me while i was playing as reptile...REPTILE! He got up and jumped around his apt... That was kinda embarrassing and funny, but then i made sure that s*** never happen again...

Fuck that shit...

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
but was as great as you remembered probably not
Yes, I could easily put it in and play right now and have more fun just in training mode than the months I spent on MKX.

will you have better for sure
So far, no. I thought Injustice was going to be my new MK9, I hated it. Then MKX came and thought it was going to be my new MK9, I hated it. I even tried TTT2 but couldn't get along with it. I played UNIEL and BB and couldn't stick with them, even though they were fun.

MK9 was my first love, and like a lot of others here it got me into the scene, I just haven't been able to find an FG that I could have even close to the amount of fun I had in MK9.

IrishMantis

Yes, I could easily put it in and play right now and have more fun just in training mode than the months I spent on MKX.

So far, no. I thought Injustice was going to be my new MK9, I hated it. Then MKX came and thought it was going to be my new MK9, I hated it. I even tried TTT2 but couldn't get along with it. I played UNIEL and BB and couldn't stick with them, even though they were fun.

MK9 was my first love, and like a lot of others here it got me into the scene, I just haven't been able to find an FG that I could have even close to the amount of fun I had in MK9.
That's absolutely fine man, your opinion is not wrong, and as I said I think it's a more fundamentally better game this is not a shot at people thinking it's better than MKX

I'm saying even if there where a better game in the future a lot of people not all will always feel warmer discussing about MK9 as the good old days

I feel it will happen with MKX too

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
That's absolutely fine man, your opinion is not wrong, and as I said I think it's a more fundamentally better game this is not a shot at people thinking it's better than MKX

I'm saying even if there where a better game in the future a lot of people not all will always feel warmer discussing about MK9 as the good old days

I feel it will happen with MKX too
Oh I know, I wasn't trying to say that it's better, apologies if it came off that way. Just saying that it's my personal favourite and nothing so far has beaten it.

You're right, when the next MK comes out people will be saying how much they loved MKX and liked it better than the next. Same with Injustice. The beauty of preference :^)

IrishMantis

Oh I know, I wasn't trying to say that it's better, apologies if it came off that way. Just saying that it's my personal favourite and nothing so far has beaten it.

You're right, when the next MK comes out people will be saying how much they loved MKX and liked it better than the next. Same with Injustice. The beauty of preference :^)
You didn't come across as a dick I understood you dude no worries I was just making sure I wasn't misunderstood

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Let's be honest if MK15 had everything MK9 had and better there will still be hot threads like this of old schoolers saying "yep, they where the days, I wish we had them days back"

For most players here it's the game they lost their virginity too, their first love

Was the sex great, yes it was the first time releasing the pipe but was as great as you remembered probably not, will you have better for sure, but you are always going to look back at those days as the best days no matter what.
That's my take

Hell will happen to MKX too by then the time will pass the bullshit will blur away the bad times will be forgetting the better the times will be remembered, people will miss them etc etc

There is actually a name for this phenomenon I'll edit it when I remember.

For the record I think MK9 was a fundamentally more sounder game because it was more safe in execution.
Hilarious comparison. Except sex with my first was godlike. So good that we were broken up for years and I was still hitting it. She was in year long relationships, engaged to be married and everything and I was still tearing it up in hotel rooms lol. Went in for about 4-5 years until she tried to have me break up with my girl to try a relationship again and that was a hell no lol. GOAT Level sex didn't change with time. It was what it was.

Now back on topic lol, I don't think MKX will be remembered fondly at all. It happens when games have reoccurring ones. It'll be remembered more like Tekken players remember Tekken 4. The game that ruined a good thing by making too many unneeded changes, was played only because it was the competitive game at the time of the company, and things got much better once again when they went back to the roots in later installments.

That will be the MKX legacy.

Hilarious comparison. Except sex with my first was godlike. So good that we were broken up for years and I was still hitting it. She was in year long relationships, engaged to be married and everything and I was still tearing it up in hotel rooms lol. Went in for about 4-5 years until she tried to have me break up with my girl to try a relationship again and that was a hell no lol. GOAT Level sex didn't change with time. It was what it was.
lmfao we can stop the thread here now. We have to end on this

IrishMantis

Now back on topic lol, I don't think MKX will be remembered fondly at all. It happens when games have reoccurring ones. It'll be remembered more like Tekken players remember Tekken 4. The game that ruined a good thing by making too many unneeded changes, was played only because it was the competitive game at the time of the company, and things got much better once again when they went back to the roots in later installments.

Lol I'm happy to hear

Map the Soul

#nolivesmatter

Tekken 4 was fresh and unique gameplay wise and visually. The balance was pretty terrible but the aesthetic and soundtrack was great, not to mention it was the last Tekken game where the story wasn't a joke. Tekken atm is the most stale FG franchise and noone can deny it. Animations that are reused for 10+ years straight and a scene that is hard to attract new players in primarily due to legacy matchup knowledge, although 7 is doing a better job making it more accessible.

Last edited:

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Pig just said that there is barely any difference between the low tiers in this game and mk9 lol.
Nah he said low tier vs high tier is the same as in all of the other games. Which, at the highest level, is true. IMO.

LMfaoooooooooo

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3

nah, the matches were close. You can't get rounds against me so that's already an improvement. Between EVO 2015 to EVO 2016 I've placed 3rd at ESL finals, won a major tournament and placed top 8 at 4 majors in a row, including Evolution. I even went to your house and beat your best player in an exhibition. You've done nothing. All you've managed to do in a year is get exposed. You're now a washed up has been complaining about Mileena on skype. I go out and beat Foxy. You and your friends cried and got my character nerfed and it still didn't matter, because I'm that much better than you.