What's new

Question What makes MK9 stand out?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Appreciate it

I know I am a good player but I'm being honest. Tiers carry every player to a large degree except sonic it seems

If you have a guy in a track contest wearing sandals vs a guy wearing top tier shoes I mean he may place because he's a great runner but his tools are shit
I agree and disagree with what you're saying to an extent.

Firstly, what character you use is 100% your choice. An obvious point, of course, but I felt it needed to be said. There's "character loyalists" which are fine, but their loyalty to a certain character is a choice they've made. Again, I don't think anyone is arguing this point, but wanted to "say it out loud".

Secondly, if you don't pick a top tier, you will be at an objective disadvantage. As you said, it's like choosing to wear sandals or even flip flops in a race where the other runners who are just as fast as you (or much faster) are wearing running shoes. The point I make is it's not the running shoes that carry the winners to victory, it just a tool that gives them a better opportunity to win. And a tool in which everyone has access to. Has anyone in the history of the Olympics or track and field or whatever ever pointed to the runners shoes or what the athlete is wearing in any way attributing it to even remotely being a reason why they won? In fact, you'd be called an IDIOT for wearing sandals/flip flops.

If there's indeed a character that is so abnormally broken that it can carry any average joe to victory, that character would be littered in the top 8 and in the tournament as a whole. Moreover, that character would inevitably end up either getting tournament banned, or nerfed. The argument to this I imagine would be "There are a lot of Aliens in tournament and in top 8's". My response to that is, who were the players? SonicFox and Dragon? What happened to all the other Aliens? If a handful of TOP PLAYERS at most are winning with a character, doesn't it make more sense that it's the player's ability more so than the characters tools?

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I agree and disagree with what you're saying to an extent.

Firstly, what character you use is 100% your choice. An obvious point, of course, but I felt it needed to be said. There's "character loyalists" which are fine, but their loyalty to a certain character is a choice they've made. Again, I don't think anyone is arguing this point, but wanted to "say it out loud".

Secondly, if you don't pick a top tier, you will be at an objective disadvantage. As you said, it's like choosing to wear sandals or even flip flops in a race where the other runners who are just as fast as you (or much faster) are wearing running shoes. The point I make is it's not the running shoes that carry the winners to victory, it just a tool that gives them a better opportunity to win. And a tool in which everyone has access to. Has anyone in the history of the Olympics or track and field or whatever ever pointed to the runners shoes or what the athlete is wearing in any way attributing it to even remotely being a reason why they won? In fact, you'd be called an IDIOT for wearing sandals/flip flops.

If there's indeed a character that is so abnormally broken that it can carry any average joe to victory, that character would be littered in the top 8 and in the tournament as a whole. Moreover, that character would inevitably end up either getting tournament banned, or nerfed. The argument to this I imagine would be "There are a lot of Aliens in tournament and in top 8's". My response to that is, who were the players? SonicFox and Dragon? What happened to all the other Aliens? If a handful of TOP PLAYERS at most are winning with a character, doesn't it make more sense that it's the player's ability more so than the characters tools?
I agree with what you just said. Any character can win a tournament, you may have to make 100% correct reads all of the time yeah sure, but it just seems like the character to player ratio is too lop sided towards character in this game.

Example, If I guess right against say Sonic 100% of the time with X character against Y character I am going to win. Simple as that, some characters make it easier to win due to
  • Long normals
  • Meterless / 1 Meter damage
  • Quick Punishers
  • Good Anti Airs
  • aka Mileena Kappa
The reason I don't enjoy this game as much as MKX is simply that, guessing wrong. It's a hard line to draw between a read and a guess when it comes to MKX because there is so much of it. Either is being unreactable 50/50s or safe armored launchers, projectiles that capture. So many different elements in this game (which can be a good thing) just seems to be too much.

In my opinion more characters should have been designed like the following.
  • DL or DF Liu Kang
  • SD or FC Johnny Cage
  • All Goro
  • All Kitana
  • BS Shinnok
  • BG / SG Kotal
  • Mileena
While most of you will read that list and wonder why I used them as an example here it is. If the character has a 50/50 it is slow or punishable. Kitana and Goro may have the worst 50/50s in the game (meaning OH or LOW) but other parts of the game they excel at, but Johnny, Liu, Kotal and possibly a few more HAVE to open you up. It is a 50/50 yes, but you are not losing 40% every time you guess wrong.

/rant

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Banking on fighting games to live is stupid
As it is w dota and league, for now

Idgaf what smash did or is doing,
I'm telling you if you remove the money/Esl/evo this game (MKXL) dies and is the reason mk9 died

If you remove money from NFL the NFL dies
Same goes w anything I guess except smash and like I said idgaf about what smash community is doing. Props to them,Go play smash
We agree that no one is making a career off this stuff. It's a hobby, at the end of the day. Money and medals are nice, but it's still just a hobby. It's not something anyone is doing to put food on the table, it's done for fun.

So even if, at the highest level, it's still just a hobby, why not play something you actually enjoy? The point wasn't to glorify the Smash Community, Pig. I just don't see how they could be self-contained for so long, without any FGC support, why the NRS scene couldn't do the same if they really wanted.

Hell, the costs to travel to tournaments aren't anything more (potentially less since so many people carpool/split room costs) than what an average three-day vacation costs. Which is all going to a tournament basically is, at the end of the day.

Especially when you consider that only a very small percentage of players even have a chance at seeing the money, even fewer at actually winning the pot. If people are only playing for money/medals, they're not doing it for the right reason.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I agree 100% about the 50/50's. I've said it time and time again. They are bullshit.

I agree with what you just said. Any character can win a tournament, you may have to make 100% correct reads all of the time yeah sure, but it just seems like the character to player ratio is too lop sided towards character in this game.
I don't see the evidence for this. If the same top players are the one's winning and making top 8, what evidence do you have to support your claim?

Capitalc

Noob
For the record, I'm not pushing MK9 as definitively superior. Just citing the things it has that make it superior to me and those who feel the same way.
I agree on what you said as well about mk9, the game is just more fun. I have played this series since mk 1 during the time the game first came out on the arcades and on the Sega Genesis (damn i'm showing my age lol) but anyway in my opinion, mk9 is the best mortal kombat game I ever played since the day it came out in my opinion. The game has a good roster ( similiar to UMK3) great story mode, more combos to discovery, high replay value at the time and overall good game.

MK9 was obvious not perfect as well with bad net code and poor practice mode features for example but overall the game was more enjoyable to play then MKX for me.

I also do understand that MKX is a different game then mk9 with a lot of 50/50s, being more offensive based, variation system ( correct me if i'm wrong but variation system was also in deadly alliance and deception), making the right guesses to win over your opponent, etc makes the game to me a little less enjoyable then other tradition fighting games in my opinion.

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
MK9 was fun and all, but people on TYM seem to be forgetting that Sonya existed. I can confidently say she has carried many people. You generally don't have to think much when you play her. I still like MK9 more than MKX. Sonya and Kenshi are my picks for characters that require little to no effort and can easily carry people...
@xKhaoTik
@RM AtK!

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I agree 100% about the 50/50's. I've said it time and time again. They are bullshit.

I don't see the evidence for this. If the same top players are the one's winning and making top 8, what evidence do you have to support your claim?
I understand what you are saying, but they are top players using top tier characters. Sonic, TekkenMaster, King, can make anybody look good because they are high level players. If not the highest. Sonic loves using a character based on the MU, that is no secret.

Take Semiij for example, he is a local player of mine, and I love coaching the dude. He has ALWAYS been a great player since CEO last year, but has never made it out of pools. Guess what happens when he picks Mileena at CEO 2016.

That is the only real example I can use off hand.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
We agree that no one is making a career off this stuff. It's a hobby, at the end of the day. Money and medals are nice, but it's still just a hobby. It's not something anyone is doing to put food on the table, it's done for fun.

So even if, at the highest level, it's still just a hobby, why not play something you actually enjoy? The point wasn't to glorify the Smash Community, Pig. I just don't see how they could be self-contained for so long, without any FGC support, why the NRS scene couldn't do the same if they really wanted.

Hell, the costs to travel to tournaments aren't anything more (potentially less since so many people carpool/split room costs) than what an average three-day vacation costs. Which is all going to a tournament basically is, at the end of the day.

Especially when you consider that only a very small percentage of players even have a chance at seeing the money, even fewer at actually winning the pot. If people are only playing for money/medals, they're not doing it for the right reason.
I'm not making a living off gaming and neither are 99.9% of but if you're gonna tell me
2012 $35,000 and 2015 $14,000 doesn't matter as a side hobby I say you're insane

Remove all medals, evo, Esl from mk9 and MKXL and I would have quit Mkx 2 months in and played mk9 for fun only online from my couch because I didn't know any better

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
MK9 was fun and all, but people on TYM seem to be forgetting that Sonya existed. I can confidently say she has carried many people. You generally don't have to think much when you play her. I still like MK9 more than MKX. Sonya and Kenshi are my picks for characters that require little to no effort and can easily carry people...
Sonya was like an MKX character almost. D4 had long reach that initiated pressure and dumb EH Cartwheel was a safe armored launcher. Just missing the 50/50 element. And Kenshi was busted for that game. Worse than Kabal to me. Kabal didn't really lose to anybody but had many even matches. Kenshi might've had one or two (memory?) losing match-ups... but he obliterated outside of that.

It's like they thought the Sonya philosophy was more appealing than the philosophy used by characters #7 through #32 and went that direction for future games.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm not making a living off gaming and neither are 99.9% of but if you're gonna tell me
2012 $35,000 and 2015 $14,000 doesn't matter as a side hobby I say you're insane

Remove all medals, evo, Esl from mk9 and MKXL and I would have quit Mkx 2 months in and played mk9 for fun only online from my couch because I didn't know any better
99% off of competitive gaming, sure. Easiest way to make money off of gaming is by making good content consistently on twitch or youtube.

Rude

I'm not saying it doesn't matter. I'm saying that shouldn't be your only reason for doing it. Especially since most players will never see a cent of that money.

I don't really understand your point from the last part of your response, other than to suggest that you're only playing for money and recognition? If that's the case, you could be doing a lot better than the FGC. Like I said before, if you're chasing dollar signs than you'd be much better off with MOBAs and other games MLG runs in its circuit than the FGC money. It's not even close by comparison.

More to the point: if the hobby someone is doing for fun is not doing its job as being entertaining and enjoyable, should anyone keep doing it? Or should they engage in the hobby they actually like?

So far, the only argument I've gotten as to why the NRS Community doesn't support its own games are because of pot bonuses and medals. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't most grassroots for MK9 not so great in the prize pot department? Yet, people still came out.

Pig Of The Hut

I'm not saying it doesn't matter. I'm saying that shouldn't be your only reason for doing it. Especially since most players will never see a cent of that money.

I don't really understand your point from the last part of your response, other than to suggest that you're only playing for money and recognition? If that's the case, you could be doing a lot better than the FGC. Like I said before, if you're chasing dollar signs than you'd be much better off with MOBAs and other games MLG runs in its circuit than the FGC money. It's not even close by comparison.

More to the point: if the hobby someone is doing for fun is not doing its job as being entertaining and enjoyable, should anyone keep doing it? Or should they engage in the hobby they actually like?

So far, the only argument I've gotten as to why the NRS Community doesn't support its own games are because of pot bonuses and medals. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't most grassroots for MK9 not so great in the prize pot department? Yet, people still came out.
Grass roots mk9?
Again they got numbers when the game had evo, afterwards it died other than myself and Claude raising over $3000 (forgot amount) for an evo side tourney and then the day after it died again

Being at evo and the huge pot we raised sparked interest

Side tourneys at SJ for it? Dead
@Rude

UGL Preon

The Casual God
MK9 Stood out because you guys got A COMPLETE DECADE of non competitive, Broken 3D games with MK Characters in it. Midway died and MK was no more. Then after some time out of no where you get A CLASSIC MK1-MK3 2011 at the time "Next Gen" Remake and story. So the hype was real and nostalgia made it stand out. Also NRS first kitting so you're lenient in judgement. While it had its fair share if complete BS I know for a fact 50/50 pressure was NOT as powerful.

MKX: All of your favorites died in 9 and we have new characters in 10. Most of which either A didn't get too fleshed out or B didn't do enough to get a real connection with because you didn't grow up with them and there's no fan boy blinders. And the third game of NRS. So you claim that THEY SHOULD KNOW WHAT MAKES BALANCE BY NOW! Get it right Boon!

You'll notice there's 50/50 characters, hard to blockables, adjustable hard to blockables in which you can change which hits first. Low or Overhead. MKX also has the intangible element of being the new game. It's much easier to look fondly at a game when you're not playing for money anymore. You could get 10-0ed by a Kabal or Kenshi in MK9 TODAY and not be as salty as losing 10-6 to a Alien Today. Cause right now it matters. But when Injustice 2 comes out and money is off the table for MKX, you'll take getting bodied by alien much better. Cause you'll be complaining about injustice 2 bringing back F23xxBreath

Rude

Grass roots mk9?
Again they got numbers when the game had evo, afterwards it died other than myself and Claude raising over $3000 (forgot amount) for an evo side tourney and then the day after it died again

Being at evo and the huge pot we raised sparked interest

Side tourneys at SJ for it? Dead
@Rude
I'm glad you guys were able to raise that money. That's great. Really, it's awesome. It's good when people come together like that.

So why couldn't people continue running community sponsored events for the game? If the passion is there, why not? Hell, you could even use crowd-funding for the pot bonuses if you really, really wanted.

It seems to me that the only thing stopping people from bringing the game back is an unwillingness to play it. You don't necessarily need an EVO to travel for a game you like.

Pig Of The Hut

I'm glad you guys were able to raise that money. That's great. Really, it's awesome. It's good when people come together like that.

So why couldn't people continue running community sponsored events for the game? If the passion is there, why not? Hell, you could even use crowd-funding for the pot bonuses if you really, really wanted.

It seems to me that the only thing stopping people from bringing the game back is an unwillingness to play it. You don't necessarily need an EVO to travel for a game you like.
People stopped playing for the simple reasons I pointed out in my original post

No evo
No Esl
No $
Therefor no merit

Deep down this matters to competitors unless you play smash