What's new

What criteria did you base your main character choice on?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I like versatile characters who can zone and have great mixups. Good punishment is also something I enjoy. Kano works very nicely for this, I also enjoy playing Kabal on occasion for the same reasons. I'm also going to pickup Reptile and Shang in the near future.

Kwon

---->----
Yeah subzero's ice is always excellent for a control game. Unfortunately I think Scorpion is cooler. But with his limited options in responding to characters like ermac, I just cant justify maining him. As for sub zero, he is awesome, but I don't like his background story. Haha.
How about this background-story? :)

Bi-Han = True Evil!

How about this background-story? :)

Bi-Han = True Evil!
Haha, yeah that was a sick video. Only problem is that this bi-han should become noob saibot in this story line. Key word is SHOULD, unless he decides to neglect noob and change the sub-zero lore. I always like how scorpion was in the middle though. Ex-good/bad guy who is out for revenge now and plays on the good -or- bad team as he needs to to reach his goals.

I like versatile characters who can zone and have great mixups. Good punishment is also something I enjoy. Kano works very nicely for this, I also enjoy playing Kabal on occasion for the same reasons. I'm also going to pickup Reptile and Shang in the near future.
Yeah reptile, shang, and kano definitely sound right up my alley. Especially reptile. When I finally land his alternate classic costume, and can stand looking at him, I may end up maining him. For now, his biggest turn off to me is his appearance.

Male character with long hair- No joke
I grew up on Inuyasha as a little boy, so that grew to who I play today. I use to sub Shang tsung, and my full time main is Nightwolf
In other games I played:
Hazama
Zangief (I liked the grappling style)
Adon
Wolf (Virtual fighter)
Yun
Remy
As for Nightwolf, I REALLY can't stand his appearance. I wish he looked more like wolf from VF5, then I would be playing him as well, haha.

Well I went back through the thread and did some playing ...

Characters that seem to have the highest potential: Shang, Ermac, Reptile

Characters that are close behind them: Kano, Smoke

Characters I kind of like but haven't gotten much feedback on: Noob, Scorpion

My list is much shorter then it used to be. So thanks a ton for the feedback. Anymore feedback you guys can afford to spare would be greatly appreciated =D.

Well I went back through the thread and did some playing ...

Characters that seem to have the highest potential: Shang, Ermac, Reptile

Characters that are close behind them: Kano, Smoke

Characters I kind of like but haven't gotten much feedback on: Noob, Scorpion

My list is much shorter then it used to be. So thanks a ton for the feedback. Anymore feedback you guys can afford to spare would be greatly appreciated =D.
Any comments on the remaining 7? Trying to get the list down to two. This thread a whole days work has gotten it down to 7, so I am really hoping to have my main and alt chose by tomorrow evening officially.

Sindel because she was my main in UMK3. I like her versatility a lot, she has a little of everything and great setups.

-She is 1 of the best zoners.
-Has very good combos that may not do great dmg but they are perfect for positioning reasons.
-She has great launcher type moves that setup a lot of combos.
-Hair whip is fun to use.
-Scream has great potential.

I also use Reptile because he is great with his speed. Also he has good zoning too.

elPollo_Diablo

In The Lab
Simple
I mained Kitana way back in the arcades when MK2 had came out
I got over the initial phase of Sub and Scorpion and found the real characters

D.Barrett

Pad Warrior
Well except for Kazuya, we think like opposites. So which characters do you hate most in mk9? Haha, maybe I will like them ;D
Never really thought about who i hate most in MK9. Mainly cuz i never get mad at the game, im always having a good time with it. But if I had to pick a character that i hate most. It would be Sheeva. Even though shes a grappler. I just hate the character in general. Shes so boring that they threw in another set of arms to spice her up.

Well after gaming all day with some buddies, I can say that my contender list is down to Ermac, Reptile, Noob, Smoke, and Kano. Basically Shang Tsung and Smoke got knocked off. 2 down, 4 to go!!!

P.S. the general consensus was that my reptile, noob, and smoke were strongest.

Bobaskibll

WTB GG's!
Always been a fan of the robots since mk3 thought they were cool as shit therefor went with cyrax just happen to turn out hes not to shabby in mk9 = ) sektor is my secondary

Slego

The Saltan of Salt
I have no idea why I main Kabal, he just seemed awesome at the time, and still is. I kind of lucked out.

Death By Nines

Catharsis
I like characters who have all the tools to contend with nigh on any situation. So I play Kung Lao, Raiden, Noob, Sub Z, and Kabal in that order. I like the entire cast anyway, so I tend t dabble with them all.

I main Juri in SSF4 and when playing through story mode Jade just clicked with me. She's kind of horrible online at the moment though so I play ermac on the interwebs (when I bother).

I'm a little surprised given your mvc3 team that Johnny Cage wasn't really mentioned seriously but it seems you've already got quite a list to narrow down now.

With your list of seven remaining, I'll comment that Scorpion is all mind games (in an already yomi heavy game). He also gets away with a lot online that doesn't work offline partly because of this structuring to his tools.

I'm probably the odd one out but I main characters just depending on if I like their personality and looks and style. Their play comes third, I just adjust. Lol.

I main Juri in SSF4 and when playing through story mode Jade just clicked with me. She's kind of horrible online at the moment though so I play ermac on the interwebs (when I bother).

I'm a little surprised given your mvc3 team that Johnny Cage wasn't really mentioned seriously but it seems you've already got quite a list to narrow down now.

With your list of seven remaining, I'll comment that Scorpion is all mind games (in an already yomi heavy game). He also gets away with a lot online that doesn't work offline partly because of this structuring to his tools.
Well I am more concerned with offline play seeing as how I hope to compete soon. Additionally, do you think Johnny is worth adding to my trial list? I am not a fan of his appearance but at this point I decided I just want to play whoever jives best.

Wassow

Noob
I Decided to make Ermac my main just because I liked watching people play him in the toruneys on iplaywinner/teamspooky youtube channels, been practicing with him and I like his movelist

Loot

the special effects
How often people cry about them, so I can abuse the character until NRS nerfs them.

LordxMugen

FIGHTAN GAHMS!!!
i like sheeva (and to a lesser extent Jax) cause i LOVE GRAPPLERS and people with command grabs and unblockables. now obviously command grabs in this game would be too powerful if they were unblockable, but even still i like Sheeva cause of her Stomp and Fireball and some really high damage bnbs. whats really nice about her as a grappler though is how mobile she is compared to someone like Zangief too. you think you can get away but she just sort of APPEARS. i just straight up like her and try as i might, i just dont want play anybody else.

LockM

Noob
I mainly pick characters based on their design, if they have a great movelist that is a plus, otherwise i try to put the extra effort and time in to learn them. Looking at their fighting style comes next, if they have interesting combo's and such. In SSFIV for instance i can't stand alot of the characters mainly because they look goofy and are very unintersting, examples:Guile, Zangief, Blanka, El fuerte, Rufus, Sagat. The way i pick characters is probably not the most efficient but it's what i like.

DOA4: Elliot, Hayate, Ryu Hayabusa
SCIV: Setsuka
SSFIV: Ibuki, Cody,
Tekken 6: Miguel, Leo
MvC3:X-23, Dante, Dr.Doom
MK9: Noob, Ermac, Sub-Zero(looking to main Skarlett also)

MrH

Noob
I wanted a character I enjoyed that wasn't overplayed, Kabal was the obvious choice for me.