What's new

Wanted: Fighting Game Fans to help tune & test Colossal Kaiju Combat!

Hello - my name is Simon Strange. I've been developing video games for about 16 years - mostly in the console space.

I've been poking around TYM for about 1 year, because for the last two years I've been building a new kaiju-themed fighting/brawler game, and a community to go along with it at kaijucombat.com. My idea was to bring together fighting fans and kaiju fans. Here's my introduction thread: http://testyourmight.com/threads/fighting-game-designer-looking-to-plug-in.39180/

Well, after more than 18 months of work, the first part of the CKC franchise started on Early Access this August. Colossal Kaiju Combat(tm): Kaijuland Battles is a bare-bones 4-monsters 1-arena game. The idea is to get a large number of players & test games played, while we use that information to improve the underlying combat & control scheme - which will be used in all our future games as well. Kaijuland Battles will be free once we move out of Early Access, but for right now we're charging $5 for it. The goal there was to keep out casual players - and focus only on the players who understand that the game is a work in progress, and that we need people who will play online games, submit bugs & descriptive feedback, and help us iterate to make the game better.

Well after a few months of Early Access, the game has improved to the point where I think we need the expertise of more dedicated Fighting Game Community members. We've been organizing play sessions mostly on Tuesdays & Thursdays - the game servers are running 24/7, but it's a lot more fun when you have a few dozen (or a few hundred) opponents online at the same time.

I'll also point out that the game right now REQUIRES a USB gamepad or fight stick to play. We'll implement keyboard / mouse controls once we're satisfied that the gamepad controls are perfect.

So here's the deal - I know that passionate folks from TYM are exactly the sort of experts I need in-game right now to help nail down our combat & controls. So anyone who replies to this thread that they would like to help out will get a free Steam Key from me via PM.

I'm going away this weekend, so folks who respond in the second half of Friday might need to wait a bit to get a key PM from me.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Wow, nobody wants a free key? Well, I do for sure, so please send me the key Simon. I'm not competitive as other members but would give it a try if you want. I'm still waiting for "The Fall Of Nemesis" but Kaijuland battles will do for now :D. Let me tag some really very good players, who knows, maybe they become interested: @R.E.O @Perfect Legend

Wow, nobody wants a free key? Well, I do for sure, so please send me the key Simon. I'm not competitive as other members but would give it a try if you want. I'm still waiting for "The Fall Of Nemesis" but Kaijuland battles will do for now :D. Let me tag some really very good players, who knows, maybe they become interested: @R.E.O @Perfect Legend
Keys sent!

And to be fair - it's a free key for a game that... will be free for everyone once we finish testing it. So for those who just want to play the finished game instead of the "in progress" game - NOT clamoring for a key here is a very reasonable strategy.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I played it for a while, the engine feels pretty smooth, but I don't understand the idea of the game yet.

Is there any way to avoid getting hit? What prevents someone from knocking you down over and over?

I played it for a while, the engine feels pretty smooth, but I don't understand the idea of the game yet.

Is there any way to avoid getting hit? What prevents someone from knocking you down over and over?
Best ways to avoid getting hit:

1 - Don't be there.
2 - Hit them first!

You can duck (hold L trigger) - but there is no "block" or similar safe stance. Once we have complex arenas there will be a lot of cover / weapon stuff going on. But monsters don't defend in a passive way. At least - that's the thought process right now!

EGP Wonder_Chef

Best ways to avoid getting hit:

1 - Don't be there.
2 - Hit them first!

You can duck (hold L trigger) - but there is no "block" or similar safe stance. Once we have complex arenas there will be a lot of cover / weapon stuff going on. But monsters don't defend in a passive way. At least - that's the thought process right now!
So what if somebody times an attack to hit the opponent right as they're getting up that knocks them down again? Is there a way to escape that?

EGP Wonder_Chef

If you use a getup attack (Quick or Fierce attack button when you're prone) you cannot be interrupted. VERY dangerous for folks to stand next to a prone opponent!
Some of them don't seem like they have too much range though, what if someone just waited right out of their range and punished them or used a further range knockdown move?

I just can't help but feel there are infinite knockdown chains.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Also I don't quite understand the point of non knockdown moves since there's no hitstun.

Aren't technically all non knockdown moves punishable on hit by knockdown moves?

orochiDragon

PSN OROCHI-dragon / Archangel-44
I love the idea of this game! The whole no blocking thing is very cool but I can see it favoring the fastest characters.

Maybe you could add standing armor moves to each character. This would make people have to really choose when to attack, adding to the rock, paper, scissors aspect.

Also, giving all characters a command movement option ( dash, quick sidestep, short hop, sway, etc) could serve to keep the slower armor moves in check and make for an interesting footsie game.

P.s I love all the concept art. I really want to just read character bio's cause they're interesting as hell lol.

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
I really want to test the game for sure, I've been playing fighting game since I was a kid.
I can test it in Indonesia for you:D

I am away this weekend... But will respond to everyone Sunday night!

Some of them don't seem like they have too much range though, what if someone just waited right out of their range and punished them or used a further range knockdown move?

I just can't help but feel there are infinite knockdown chains.
I hope that is not the case- but please try to prove my feelings inaccurate!

I know knockdown movies FEEL stronger, but I believe you'll do more damage with other attacks. So while a high damage Attack can often be punished by a knockdown, it is my intent that doing so consistently is a losing strategy.

Fast knockdowns are very useful in 4 player matches, or to interrupt Charges. But again, this is based on experience with my past titles - it's not at all proven out in CKC yet.

Id like one if it is still available
Not to late at all! Keep 'em coming! Steam keys sent to the six of you who responded since Saturday.

If at all possible, please be playing & testing this Tuesday evening - that's when the community turns out for our big sessions. It's the best way to meet up with our current top players.

Ok - it's the first Tuesday since I posted this. And Tuesdays are THE DAY for getting online with other players. Our official session times are:

Noon - 3pm Pacific
8pm-11pm Pacific

But really anytime after noon Pacific time you should be in reasonable shape to find a game.

Remember - game supports voice chat via headset, and you can use private game keys to play with specific people - otherwise you're just matched against whoever's in the queue.
Report thoughts, issues, kudos, and death threats to this thread, our main forums at kaijucombat.com/community/ OR to our online bug database at kaijucombat.com/bugs/

If you don't have an account on the CKC forums, you can create one in one click via the game's main menu. (Your forum username & password will be the same as your Steam login info.) - This also allows you to earn Kaiju Coins for playing.