What's new

UPDATE: Notes gathered from NRS's demonstration stream.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
UPDATE: NETHERREALM STREAM IS NOW LIVE!

http://www.twitch.tv/netherrealm

In ten minutes from now, the NRS team will hit the airwaves to take your questions regarding the development for Mortal Kombat X! Hit up the stream link above here to send in your questions, but a word of advice: using the stream chat to send in your queries is a good way for them to get lost as they can get buried under the numerous conversations in the chat. You're better off using Twitter for this purpose. :)

This thread will be used to supply the community with any updates brought to our attention.

MKX Starting Soon.png
UPDATE: With the conclusion of the stream, here are some notes I've gathered from the demonstration. Members are welcome to chip in with any information they can add.

Wanna catch up on what was displayed? Then check out these recordings provided by @FightNow from TYM.

First Part (Intro):

Second Part:

Third Part:

Notes by RM GamerBlake:

Kotal Kahn's Totems:

Blue Totem - Defensive properties.

Crystal Totem - Offensive buff.

Red Totem - anytime the opponent is damaged, blood flows into Kotal Kahn, healing him. This lasts until he gets hit or the effect expires by its own volition.

Be careful when using Blood Sacrifice! If you don't have enough health to sustain yourself when you use it, you WILL lose the round.

Quan Chi's spell circles

Purple Circle - augments the abilities of his magical attacks, leaving a lasting effect on the opponent.

Red Circle - opponent takes increased chip damage.

Green Circle - increasing Quan Chi's defensive ability by giving him a hit of armor.

Sub-Zero's Unbreakable Variation:

With his Ice Shield, Sub-Zero can counter an opponent's physical attack with a freezing effect, allowing him to combo the opponent.

Scorpion:

His jumpkick-teleport combos appear to have carried over from Mortal Kombat 9 and he retains his trademark spear and takedown.

Kano:

Expect to play him as a defensive character with powerful space control, particularly the air.

FATALITIES GALORE! Full-length demonstrations of characters' finishing moves, as well as X-ray attacks.

Whenever Kotal Kahn lands a grab-based attack, the yellow marks on his body begin to glow. This gives him some temporary abilities including increasing damage with each grab.

You can spend meter when using interactables, including those that allow you to escape the corner. It is assumed that using meter when escaping the corner via the use of an interactable applies armor to your character.

Apparently, interactables that you use to gain some space from your opponent do not apply to inanimate objects alone. Living things such as tigers can also be used for mobility!

Crouching attacks in MKX appear to work similarly to their MK9 counterparts, but frame data is uncertain at this time.

Throws can be meter-burned for one bar, allowing you the chance to set up 50/50 situations. You can also combo directly into throws, according to the demonstration.

No information regarding the Stamina Meter has been given yet.

More demonstration streams to come from the NRS team, including another stream to be held this December! This trend will continue while we count down to the game's official release.

Notes by @PND_Ketchup
· Obsidian totem – Increases the defence of Kotal Kahn, reducing incoming damage.

· Crystal totem – Increases Kotal Kahn’s damage output, can stack with his “blood offering” attack that also increases his damage.

· Blood totem – All damage from Kotal Kahn will place blood inside the totem. If Kotal Kahn takes no damage for the duration of the totem, health will be granted to Kahn.

· Debuff spell – Quan Chi increases the amount of block damage the opponent takes while they stand in the aura.

· Green aura – Quan Chi grants a hit hit of armour that regenerates every few seconds.

· Purple Aura – Powers up his skull and rune attacks, making them do increased damage over time.

· Ferra Torr – Has Bane’s charge. Woohoo.

· Derek – “I’m a fan of Ninjutsu”

· Scorpion – MB Teleport launches like Injustice.

· Sub Zero – command grab leaves standing.

· Sub Zero – Ice ball will crush other projectiles.

· Air to air jumping 1 – Will combo into another jumping 1, then a string when landed. Similar to Injustice.

· Shoutouts – To the Scottish NRS community. Awesome! Hope we can all get some sick tourneys in when this game launches.

· Kotal Kahn – Wargod Variation Sword throw hits multiple times and has a large hitbox. Also using this move and then instantly running seems like an efficient way to close in space.

· Kano – Cutthroat seems like a combo heavy variation, MB slice will launch.

· Kano – Mentioned multiple times that kano is a space heavy character, being able to use a lot of knife throws to keep distance.

· Derek – “Mind = Blown” Tyler – “That was Kotally Awesome”

· Kotal Kahn – Sun God throw will increase in power the more he lands it. Will cap at 3. He can cash out a throw stage to receive either health or meter, but will return the throw to stage 1.

· Environment – Corner escape can be meter burned to grant a hit of armour. Allowing you to escape the corner at a cost.

· Derek – Likes to disco dance, potential new MK:X teabag?

· Pig – The Pig makes a return, allowing the Pig to live on from Injustice.

· Cassie – Can MB her air throw to allow a juggle.

· Old Lady – Blanch can be used as a projectile during Outworld Marketplace.

· Interactables – Still being refined.

· Quan Chi – When D’Vorah uses her fatality on Quan’s head, he doesn’t look THAT different.

· Kotal Kahn – Sun god ray will grant damage to the opponent if they stand near it, but will give Kahn health back if he stands in it instead.

· Quan Chi – Looked like you could land a neutral jump into throw after a trance, potential forced 50/50 at the cost of one bar?

· Kotal Kahn – Across all variations, it seems like his MB Grab special is his universal way to get max damage. His variations seem to be utility over combo potential, just my observation though.

· Ferra/Torr – Lacky variation seems to have Venom Upper and raging charge. Woohoo!

Last edited by a moderator:
The title of the cast is variations. Please god, don't let this stream be dedicated to the variations of the already revealed characters. I need some new stuff.

Even though they didn't show anything new, holy shit the 45 minutes of ''high-level''-matches (aka not russian/brazil expo-matches) where really good. I also laughed at that Ferra/Torr win animation where they hold hands and walk back, hilarious stuff.

Can't wait for the next KK in December. We'll probably get new stuff then.

Last edited:

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
UPDATES.

NRS gives shout-outs to various parties in the Mortal Kombat community, including TestYourMight and the Scottish fighting game community. :)

Kotal Kahn's Totems:

Blue Totem - Defensive properties are applied to Kotal Kahn. It is assumed that he takes decreased damage.

Crystal Totem - An offensive buff is applied to his attacks.

Red Totem - anytime the opponent is damaged, blood flows into Kotal Kahn, healing him. This lasts until he gets hit or the effect expires by its own volition.

Be careful when using Blood Sacrifice! If you don't have enough health to sustain yourself when you use it, you WILL lose the round.

Quan Chi's spell circles

Purple Circle - augments the abilities of his magical attacks, leaving a lasting effect on the opponent.

Green Circle - increasing Quan Chi's defensive ability by giving him a hit of armor.

With his Ice Shield, Sub-Zero can counter an opponent's physical attack with a freezing effect, allowing him to combo the opponent.

Scorpion:

His jumpkick-teleport combos appear to have carried over from Mortal Kombat 9 and he retains his trademark spear and takedown.

More to come!

I would love to see them discuss what @a foxy grampa brought up, why they included certain normals and reasons for balancing them.

It'd be like asking a politician something meaningful

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Okay, it looks like they're done now. Here's what I've gathered so far from the demonstration. If anybody would like to add some notes in, please do so.

NO FLAMING OR TROLLING, PLEASE.

Kotal Kahn's Totems:

Blue Totem - Defensive properties.

Crystal Totem - Offensive buff.

Quan Chi's spell circles

Scorpion:

Kano:

Expect to play him as a defensive character with powerful space control, particularly the air.

FATALITIES GALORE! Full-length demonstrations of characters' finishing moves, as well as X-ray attacks.

Whenever Kotal Kahn lands a grab-based attack, the yellow marks on his body begin to glow. This gives him some temporary abilities including increasing damage with each grab.

You can spend meter when using interactables, including those that allow you to escape the corner. It is assumed that using meter when escaping the corner via the use of an interactable applies armor to your character.

Apparently, interactables that you use to gain some space from your opponent do not apply to inanimate objects alone. Living things such as tigers can also be used for mobility!

Crouching attacks in MKX appear to work similarly to their MK9 counterparts, but frame data is uncertain at this time.

Throws can be meter-burned for one bar, allowing you the chance to set up 50/50 situations. You can also combo directly into throws, according to the demonstration.

No information regarding the Stamina Meter has been given yet.

More demonstration streams to come from the NRS team, including another stream to be held this December! This trend will continue while we count down to the game's official release.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Well, this makes my thread pretty obsolete! I'll just add mine here and you can fill in any potential gaps:

· Obsidian totem – Increases the defence of Kotal Kahn, reducing incoming damage.

· Crystal totem – Increases Kotal Kahn’s damage output, can stack with his “blood offering” attack that also increases his damage.

· Blood totem – All damage from Kotal Kahn will place blood inside the totem. If Kotal Kahn takes no damage for the duration of the totem, health will be granted to Kahn.

· Debuff spell – Quan Chi increases the amount of block damage the opponent takes while they stand in the aura.

· Green aura – Quan Chi grants a hit hit of armour that regenerates every few seconds.

· Purple Aura – Powers up his skull and rune attacks, making them do increased damage over time.

· Air to air jumping 1 – Will combo into another jumping 1, then a string when landed. Similar to Injustice.

· Shoutouts – To the Scottish NRS community. Awesome! Hope we can all get some sick tourneys in when this game launches.

· Kotal Kahn – Wargod Variation Sword throw hits multiple times and has a large hitbox. Also using this move and then instantly running seems like an efficient way to close in space.

· Kano – Mentioned multiple times that kano is a space heavy character, being able to use a lot of knife throws to keep distance.

· Kotal Kahn – Sun God throw will increase in power the more he lands it. Will cap at 3. He can cash out a throw stage to receive either health or meter, but will return the throw to stage 1.

· Environment – Corner escape can be meter burned to grant a hit of armour. Allowing you to escape the corner at a cost.

· Quan Chi – When D’Vorah uses her fatality on Quan’s head, he doesn’t look THAT different.

· Kotal Kahn – Sun god ray will grant damage to the opponent if they stand near it, but will give Kahn health back if he stands in it instead.

· Quan Chi – Looked like you could land a neutral jump into throw after a trance, potential forced 50/50 at the cost of one bar?

· Kotal Kahn – Across all variations, it seems like his MB Grab special is his universal way to get max damage. His variations seem to be utility over combo potential, just my observation though.

· Ferra/Torr – Lacky variation seems to have Venom Upper and raging charge. Woohoo!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Well, this makes my thread pretty obsolete! I'll just add mine here and you can fill in any potential gaps:

I like this compilation much better than my own. Going to add yours in! :)

Here are my cliff notes from this Kombat Kast:

1) Dropped combos
2) Needs more Goro
They just stand there and grab each other in weird situations, and throw out normals that don't make sense, it makes me concerned that they would struggle to implement a diverse variety of footsie tools and all that.

E

Eldriken

They just stand there and grab each other in weird situations, and throw out normals that don't make, it makes me concerned that they would struggle to implement a diverse variety of footsie tools and all that.
You could clearly hear them mashing, dude. They would hit 90 buttons while the animation from the first few buttons was still happening.

I'm just glad we got some information out of this that we didn't know before.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
They just stand there and grab each other in weird situations, and throw out normals that don't make, it makes me concerned that they would struggle to implement a diverse variety of footsie tools and all that.
Tyler is a marketing guy, he probably has no input on the mechanics of the game anyway.

I trust that NRS is taking care of things. The guys behind the super high level part of the game may not be as good at public speaking or dealing with a huge audience, who knows?

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
meter burn throws are gonna be godlike
kotals taunt makes me want to play the character
blanch