What's new

(un)Official MKX Baraka General Discussion thread

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Baraka has a pretty unique tool going for him (the hidden blades in his arms). No one else has had those in MK that I know of... I don't see them completely ditching him. But at the same time... what does he have besides the arm blades? Pretty hard to make 3 variations out of that I would think.

Not entirely sure...

leaning toward no. lol
Making three variations for him would be quite simple, ideas:

1. Grappling variation, where he has command grabs involving the blades.

2. Defensive variation, has a parry, blade spin now reflects projectiles, etc.

3. Elemental variation, his blades are tipped with ice,fire, poison or what not and everytime he hits you with the blade it slowly drains your health(maybe even meter).

4. Gymnastics variation, does a bunch of crazy things like walking using his blades, running over people using his blades etc. Think of Yoshimitsu from SC(Can't find video of it).

5. Cyborg variation, replaces his blades with arm cannons, can now zone(This would probably be too close of a Jacqui clone).

For real though, there isnt a character in the MK universe that they couldn't make three variations of. It's not like Reptile had the ability to slow down time in previous games, they can always add new abilities to their characters.

Mint

too weird to live, too rare to die
Baraka has a pretty unique tool going for him (the hidden blades in his arms). No one else has had those in MK that I know of... I don't see them completely ditching him. But at the same time... what does he have besides the arm blades? Pretty hard to make 3 variations out of that I would think.

Not entirely sure...

leaning toward no. lol
One variation could be more defensive with spins and chop chop blades.
Another with the blade sparks for zoning
And another more for charges and rushdown

Baraka has the same chance of being involved in this game as Sindel, Jade, Shang Tsung. In other words, he might make an appearance in the game. Don't see why he wouldn't be involved as he isn't dead in the MK9 story. But his minions in the story mode trailer isn't a good example of Baraka possibly making an appearance in the game (some users have alluded that being the only reason why Baraka would make a return).

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
Sorry, Baraka, there's no room on the "Actually interesting MK characters" bus.

There was one spot open for jobber character but it looks like Kung Jin is holding it down.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I think hes iconic enough but i don't think theyre going to put him in the game. He may be dlc but i think thats it

trufenix

bye felicia
One variation could be more defensive with spins and chop chop blades.
Another with the blade sparks for zoning
And another more for charges and rushdown
I think the chop chop and blade spark will probably be in all three variations. I wager one of them will be blades out all the time and the other two will have them in until he uses a specific move. Maybe a rush down one, with blade charge and some other approach move, and another one where he has a random buff like Kitana's sharpen or F/T's pain and gain.

I mean they stretched Raiden and Kano out into three characters and they've had the least new moves of anyone in the series. I'm sure the bladed arm teeth guy will be alright.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Baraka's fairly popular, he was (probably) in the story trailer and as far as we know, Mileena has little to no jobbers and he's one of the most logical choices out there.

I think he has a decent chance, although I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Osmedirez

MK Konspiracy Theorist
I would love a new Tartakan.
One that is different then the rest.

Like a super smart scheming spellcaster type.

Or just make that one with the Shotgun playable.
Combine Baraka and Stryker into one character.
I got it, I got it. Weapon-Master Tarkatan Warrior. Shotgun, nunchaku, hand grenades, pre-planted remote bombs (activated by special), some kind of sick scythe or similar style thing. At least one hidden 'gun or dart' type thing. Oh yes. Oh yes please. Not a tarkatan ninja, but a one tarkatan wrecking crew. Tarkatan Manhunter. (And put him in a game that has Predator as a guest character, by boon's brush brows!)

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
I’ve pondered what variations Baraka could have that would differentiate him from the rest of the cast, while also keeping true to the spirit of his character, so to speak. This is the best I could come up with:

Blademaster

Baraka’s Tarkatan physiology grants him an affinity to bladed Kombat. This variation is mainly centered around rushdown, frame traps and block damage using specials and normal strings that leave him at neutral frames, sometimes +frames. This variation grants him most of his MK9 specials, particularly the blade charge and blade rush(the three hitting special, forget the exact name).

Enraged

Baraka’s rage is so strong that he ignores pain. Every time Baraka loses 15-20% of his health, he is put into a state of rage that lasts for 8-10 seconds. The rage is shown by Baraka’s eyes glowing yellow, and having a small red aura around his person. Being in “rage mode” gives Baraka’s specials and normals one hit of armor, but no increase in damage. Partly inspired by MK vs DC universe, particularly Baraka’s ending in that game.

Sparker

Baraka’s bladed appendages can store kinetic energy, which Baraka can expel in the form of spark projectiles. This variation enhances Baraka’s spark projectile; allowing him to fire off high sparks, low sparks, and aerial sparks. Baraka can scrape his blades on the ground in order to store “projectile charges” which can allow him to expel up to three sparks in quick succession. This variation is partly inspired by MK: Shaolin Monks.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
The word is that Sheeva and Baraka have a baby named SheeKaka and she's Playable!

How hype does that make you? Come'n ppl

Last edited:

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole

Not entirely sure...

leaning toward no. lol
Well, they made three variations of Reptile in which they didn't develop different movesets for the variations. They added what amounts to passive/active buffs or Traits across the 3. They could do a similar thing with Baraka, where he has a large core moveset, and his Variations simply add some sort of active/passive buffs. Although, when I saw that Kitana had that Sharpen buff, my first thought was that it would have been a perfect Baraka buff.

Last edited:

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
I’ve pondered what variations Baraka could have that would differentiate him from the rest of the cast, while also keeping true to the spirit of his character, so to speak. This is the best I could come up with:

Blademaster

Baraka’s Tarkatan physiology grants him an affinity to bladed Kombat. This variation is mainly centered around rushdown, frame traps and block damage using specials and normal strings that leave him at neutral frames, sometimes +frames. This variation grants him most of his MK9 specials, particularly the blade charge and blade rush(the three hitting special, forget the exact name).

Enraged

Baraka’s rage is so strong that he ignores pain. Every time Baraka loses 15-20% of his health, he is put into a state of rage that lasts for 8-10 seconds. The rage is shown by Baraka’s eyes glowing yellow, and having a small red aura around his person. Being in “rage mode” gives Baraka’s specials and normals one hit of armor, but no increase in damage. Partly inspired by MK vs DC universe, particularly Baraka’s ending in that game.

Sparker

Baraka’s bladed appendages can store kinetic energy, which Baraka can expel in the form of spark projectiles. This variation enhances Baraka’s spark projectile; allowing him to fire off high sparks, low sparks, and aerial sparks. Baraka can scrape his blades on the ground in order to store “projectile charges” which can allow him to expel up to three sparks in quick succession. This variation is partly inspired by MK: Shaolin Monks.
Godlike!

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Baraka is one of my favs, but his chances of getting in are not promising. The only scenario I can come up with is Mileena needing a ally. Im finding it odd Raka, robots, and Smoke may not be a disc characters.

cyke_out

Noob
The only reason I am leaning toward baraka being in is the fact that mileena has no allies at all. Kotal has his group, Cassie has her peeps... Who has mileena's back?