What's new

Strategy True King of Atlantis -- Aquaman General Discussion Thread

hecta

Noob
Do any of you guys know what disadvantage Aquaman has on a blocked Trident Rush? Game says -92 which is obviously not correct. Do you know the exact frame data?

Do any of you guys know what disadvantage Aquaman has on a blocked Trident Rush? Game says -92 which is obviously not correct. Do you know the exact frame data?
No idea. What I can tell you is that I tried to punish it on block in training mode using Aquaman's b12 string, and that wasn't fast enough. b12 is a pretty fast string so Trident Rush probably isn't very negative.

I've heard that the frame data may be less accurate for multi hitting moves, since the frame data the game shows is for the first hit of the move. That might be what's happening here.

Chengler

Milky Holmes
I've been fighting some good staff nightwings and... he seems like hes a better aquaman. His projectile comes out faster. His pokes are better. So are his mix ups...

dabuz

Noob
I think Nightwing's staff projectile is pretty annoying, less cooldown and faster startup than AM's so AM can't outzone him. The staff doesn't give him any big combos IIRC, nothing past 20 and the range between the two is really close (I think AM has a slight range advantage but startups go to nightwing) but yeah it's an annoying MU.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I've been fighting some good staff nightwings and... he seems like hes a better aquaman. His projectile comes out faster. His pokes are better. So are his mix ups...
In this matchup you want to get in and play footsies, imo b12 is really good vs nw. Do not try and play the zoning game with him. he isn't hard to get in on though so its not a big deal. Aquaman also does some of the best chip damage in the game, so abuse that, then make him come to you.

Chengler

Milky Holmes
In this matchup you want to get in and play footsies, imo b12 is really good vs nw. Do not try and play the zoning game with him. he isn't hard to get in on though so its not a big deal. Aquaman also does some of the best chip damage in the game, so abuse that, then make him come to you.
Up close though, hes so good and that range.

His D1 is insane.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Up close though, hes so good and that range.

His D1 is insane.
Its not really that bad, they are probably pretty equal in footsies. NW has his pressure with range, but aquaman can get in, get a very damaging blockstring, and get out. I'm not sure how to explain it. Maybe I can get some footage. You honestly just have just out play NW. It's a fun match really. Chongo any input?

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
Quick question, how do you do DF+1 MB consistently? I tried mashing MB during the move but it was very inconsistent. I tried hitting the button with the timing I saw on streams and YouTube, but it was also very inconsistent. Does holding down MB or hitting it simultaneously with 1 make it more consistent? I know it works that way for clash...

Adus

Always learning
Quick question, how do you do DF+1 MB consistently? I tried mashing MB during the move but it was very inconsistent. I tried hitting the button with the timing I saw on streams and YouTube, but it was also very inconsistent. Does holding down MB or hitting it simultaneously with 1 make it more consistent? I know it works that way for clash...
I always just hit it after the regular move has gone on for a few little stabs and it works just fine. Your problem may just lie in doing it too early/not having meter/hitting the wrong button.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
Another quick question, was it ever confirmed that trait ONLY reduces ground hitstun on Aquaman, and not gravity scaling in juggles?

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
One of the main things to remember about b+1 pickup timing from DB+2 is that you can do it surprisingly late. If you're having trouble doing it too early and getting something like a whiff 2 after the splash, I reccommend you experiment with doing the b+12 as late as possible. Like try to aim for "too slow" for the pickup instead of "too fast", and gradually speed up your timing from there.

You'll get it eventually, it's a lot easier than a lot of stuff like meterless wallbounce juggles (i.e. Batman 113, b+3). Just keep practicing, because it is easily Aquaman's most important BnB. b+1 is godlike.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Aquaman's super startup appears to be 19 frames.

Some of the startup is before the super flash I think.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
One of the main things to remember about b+1 pickup timing from DB+2 is that you can do it surprisingly late. If you're having trouble doing it too early and getting something like a whiff 2 after the splash, I reccommend you experiment with doing the b+12 as late as possible. Like try to aim for "too slow" for the pickup instead of "too fast", and gradually speed up your timing from there.

You'll get it eventually, it's a lot easier than a lot of stuff like meterless wallbounce juggles (i.e. Batman 113, b+3). Just keep practicing, because it is easily Aquaman's most important BnB. b+1 is godlike.
Visually I wait for the trident to start re-appearing before I go for the b12, but to be perfectly honest I do 22 trident b12 pretty much by sound and rhythm.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
After the move starts to come out I mash R2 until I see the MB confirmation. Since there are no more inputs before the knockdown, there is really no reason not to mash R2 here to ensure you don't miss it.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
Aquaman's super startup appears to be 19 frames.

Some of the startup is before the super flash I think.
Thanks a bunch for that info. One of the few things I don't like about this game is that they include super flash when advertising in-game "startup" on supers, lol. I don't give a fuck about the flash unless there's startup frames before it, NetherRealm, tell me where the juicy shit is!

It's a good super, actually. Crazy hitbox behind it. Just too damn expensive to be worth it on a character who does 40-45 in his sleep for 1 stock, and spends most of his non-combo time backing off and defending with clash, pushblock, and occasionally chipping people with his bullshit MB stabs. HOOOOOO!

dabuz

Noob
So how does everyone here play Aquaman? I personally play him in a really defensive way, staying at mid range so I can zone with my B3, DB1, B2U3, and F3. Always in position for anti air D2, anti dash approach b12. Whenever someone gets in i'm just focused on pushing them back to that range since only a few characters can challenge Aquaman at his B3 range. My gameplan is almost entirely to punish the opponent for anything and go for a Vortex once I land something. Not really focused on aggressively opening the opponent up.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
Could somebody tell me if this is a REAL (inescapible) interactible setup with Aquaman?

I was trying stuff on Themyscira top level earlier and I was doing this:

- any combo into DB+1 (juggle or ground hit doesn't matter as long as you get the full over-the-head scoop float) that ends with your character underneath a lion head, immediately jump and use lion head

I turned the CPU's roll on and off, set it to different wakeups, but didn't seem to see any way out of it. I tried to get out of it manually vs. CPU Aquaman, too, but couldn't do it. Not sure whether I was fucking up the escape or if I actually have something solid here.

I would still be testing it right now but my Injustice just froze on me. I'm beginning to worry about my 360 now, it's a crusty old pre-Kinect (and pre-HDMI!) white refurb. No three rings yet, but I worry...