What's new

Strategy True King of Atlantis -- Aquaman General Discussion Thread

dabuz

Noob
Yea its just another option especially for spacing cause im pretty sure you will get a free backdash out of the water shield. But yea ive been cancelling all my stuff so far into trident rush unless i have trait and wanna be risky. Have we found out what trident rush normal and EX are truly on block?
This totally going to get lost in here but VERY important info:

DF1 is -8 on block. The only moves that I've found to punish it are Superman F3, Flash DB3, and Superman Super.

DF1 MB is -6 or -7 on block. The only moves that I found to punish it are Flash DB3 and Superman Super.

Also, Lex's corp charge can punish the trident rush. Thinking about it more, in a mirror MU aqua shield might be better just because even if you aren't directly punished, aquaman's range lets him throw out a mixup. (Unless back dash trident rush would create enough space between them, i'm not sure)

Then again, AM dittos are a battle of full screen zoning in my experience since the first one to approach should get blown up.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Also, Lex's corp charge can punish the trident rush. Thinking about it more, in a mirror MU aqua shield might be better just because even if you aren't directly punished, aquaman's range lets him throw out a mixup. (Unless back dash trident rush would create enough space between them, i'm not sure)

Then again, AM dittos are a battle of full screen zoning in my experience since the first one to approach should get blown up.
Thanks a bunch man. Yea like i said its just an option thats possible to explore. Ex trident rush is the best though cause if they dont push block you build that bar and hella chip. I think aquaman is pretty great so far. I think him and black adam will easily be my team. Each uses the elements of my old main from MK9 Rain so that makes them even more awesome.

dabuz

Noob
EX trident Rush is lulzy. If all the hits are blocked, it will build about 80% of a bar and do 14% damage. With 2 bars, a player can do EX trident rush on block 6 times in a row lol

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Yea its just another option especially for spacing cause im pretty sure you will get a free backdash out of the water shield. But yea ive been cancelling all my stuff so far into trident rush unless i have trait and wanna be risky. Have we found out what trident rush normal and EX are truly on block?
according to wonderchef, regular is punishable but not mb

edit nvm lol i didn't realize this was open for so long

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
MB is still punishable. I've found it to be punishable by various 8 to 10 frame moves that have the reach. Non-mb rush that isn't dashed forward is safe against most 9 and 10f moves. I posted about it a page or two back.

Also I don't get the watershield craze, imo its not that great, only very situational. Best used when you need to deal that last 8% other than that its extremely slow startup for what it does.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
MB is still punishable. I've found it to be punishable by various 8 to 10 frame moves that have the reach. Non-mb rush that isn't dashed forward is safe against most 9 and 10f moves. I posted about it a page or two back.

Also I don't get the watershield craze, imo its not that great, only very situational. Best used when you need to deal that last 8% other than that its extremely slow startup for what it does.
Water shield is invaluable against most other zoners though! Water shield absorbs all projectiles without losing any health, so it is a great option from full screen to get past projectiles and possibly dash and punish recovery with db2

I would love to help my fellow Atlantiens but I get A LOT of bad attitude ever since I announced that I had been using Aquaman for a while and planned to main him. All of a sudden these players who were always friendly to me just hated my guts lol.. like revolver..

Rather than be able to help, you Aquaman players tell me to get off of the character lol.

Here is one thing I will help with..

I watched chef vs tyrant for the first time just now and tyrant could have just done F+23~breath, F+23~ breath and nothing that chef did in that event would have worked. You cannot counter poke with F+1, B+1. B+2, etc because the next F+23 will always beat you out. So, if tyrant would have done that, every F+1/B+1/B+2 that chef did after blocking the inital F+23~breath would have been beat out by another F+23. The only thing Aquaman can do is..

1. Take the breath and get blown back

2. MB B+3, but Superman can back dash, then punish the whiff

3. D+1/uppercut and trade/win out but uppercut can be blocked and punished or Superman can do nothing and both the D+1 and uppercut miss and he can whiff punish.

4. Push block

5. double back dash which Superman can punish with a dash F+23, this will not work in corners

6. jump forward, causing the next F+2 to hit but the 3 whiffs. Superman can punish that in several ways such has F+2~MB breath, bait the jump and aa, etc...

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I would love to help my fellow Atlantiens but I get A LOT of bad attitude ever since I announced that I had been using Aquaman for a while and planned to main him. All of a sudden these players who were always friendly to me just hated my guts lol.. like revolver..
lol chill. i'll respect you once you start cosplaying aquaman to show your true loyalty.

edit: it's "Atlanteans"

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?

Rather than be able to help, you Aquaman players tell me to get off of the character lol.

I watched chef vs tyrant for the first time just now and tyrant could have just done F+23~breath, F+23~ breath and nothing that chef did in that event would have worked. You cannot counter poke with F+1, B+1. B+2, etc because the next F+23 will always beat you out. So, if tyrant would have done that, every F+1/B+1/B+2 that chef did after blocking the inital F+23~breath would have been beat out by another F+23. The only thing Aquaman can do is..

3. D+1 and trade

4. Push block

5. double back dash which Superman can punish with a dash F+23, this will not work in corners

6. jump forward, causing the next F+2 to hit but the 3 whiffs. Superman can punish that in several ways such has F+2~MB breath, bait the jump and aa, etc...
What about uppercut? Wont it trade for full combo? I know its probly also punishable but it is only 7 frames and should trade with his next f23.

And btw you are one of the reasons i decided to have aquaman as a character. I was a sub main for a while and i loved having your insight on a lot of stuff just like what you just posted. But you will have your thoughts on how the community perceives you.

EDIT- I just tested it and uppercut seems to win. I know its punishable if blocked but if you have trait you can just activate trait on the block confirm of your uppercut. Then the only thing he can try to do is punish trait with uppercut.

What about uppercut? Wont it trade for full combo? I know its probly also punishable but it is only 7 frames and should trade with his next f23.

And btw you are one of the reasons i decided to have aquaman as a character. I was a sub main for a while and i loved having your insight on a lot of stuff just like what you just posted. But you will have your thoughts on how the community perceives you.

EDIT- I just tested it and uppercut seems to win. I know its punishable if blocked but if you have trait you can just activate trait on the block confirm of your uppercut. Then the only thing he can try to do is punish trait with uppercut.

D+1/uppercut can trade/win out, but uppercut can be blocked and punished or Superman can do nothing and both the D+1 and uppercut miss and he can whiff punish.

and yes, you can activate and block the punishment, but Superman can confirm the block and F+23~breath and put you right back in the block trap as your trait wears off.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™

3. D+1/uppercut and trade/win out but uppercut can be blocked and punished or Superman can do nothing and both the D+1 and uppercut miss and he can whiff punish.

4. Push block

That's basically what tyrant was doing. And if I do manage to touch him and he blocks, anything that I do either guarantees that I have to block another F23 or that I get full punished.

I'm telling you this matchup is terrible.

Also I have to respectfully disagree that REO is the best Superman in the world. His movement, mixup, and combos were all definitely below Tyrant. I mean, 22% BnBs off of every launch? That's not good at all...

Dat batman though...

Punk

Banned
EX trident Rush is lulzy. If all the hits are blocked, it will build about 80% of a bar and do 14% damage. With 2 bars, a player can do EX trident rush on block 6 times in a row lol
That's not even the saddest part.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Idk if anyone has thought of this or posted it already especially since we already have trait to make things safe. But what about cancelling strings into water shield? I dont see any reason that this wouldnt work and then you can simply back dash out of water shield for spacing as well. Thoughts? rev0lver EGP Wonder_Chef GGA Dizzy HGTV Soapboxfan
I use it off of d1 to blow up counter pokes sometimes, not really sure how effective it is yet, I should be playing some offline today to test it. I use b12 water shield versus superman and flash mostly but I throw in there. Opponents don't really know what to do with it yet so it's hard to tell if it will be effective. Right now I'm getting a lot of pokes which I dash cancel back and check with b12 a lot

JJocelot

Don't give up!
Is there any advantage to using Trident Throw? I feel it has some kinda potential. I mean I use it for a weird kind of meaty set up when the opponent is knocked down, but that's about all I can think of.

SaltyPrime

More salt please.
I've been just using trident toss when they're expecting me to db2. I haven't really tried to use it in a combo, but then again I'm still pretty scrubby.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I haven't found a good use for it. It's duckable and insanely bad on whiff.

People did make a good point about hitting people out of the air who jump thinking youre going to ground trident, but I would think its too slow to use on reaction unless they have an extremely slow jump like Grundy.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
I think the frame data for the ground trident move is inaccurate. It is listed as -21, which would mean that Sinestro can punish it with the shackles. I have tried repeatedly, and even when it says "counter attack", the shackles are blocked.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I haven't found a good use for it. It's duckable and insanely bad on whiff.

People did make a good point about hitting people out of the air who jump thinking youre going to ground trident, but I would think its too slow to use on reaction unless they have an extremely slow jump like Grundy.
You can trade with air projectiles on reaction I'm pretty sure. That's my only use.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Some ideas I have been working on:

If you end a combo with either mb watershield or the ender of the f1,3,2 string in the corner, the opponent will tumble back out of the corner towards you on the ground if he doesn't tech roll. Because of this, you can easily time a meaty neutral jump 3 to cross up the opponent, since his momentum will make him tumble under you.

Other ide came because I am tired of the stupid jump attacks in this game. I can't anti air Nightwing and Raven consistently with d+2 for example (Might be because of online input delay), so I often get punished with a full combo for trying. I therefor find that pressing d+2 quickly followed by trait, will act as a safety net for when your anti air gets beaten, and you will be able to block after eating the jump in.

Also, what are the restrictions for using mb on water shield? Can you only mb before you absorb something, or can you mb AS you absorb something? I am finding it hard to dash cancel wake up attacks after absorbing, since a lot of wake up attacks are multi hitting, and I therefor end up dashing in to them since they haven't finnished yet. Would be easier to mb it, but it seems to have some restriction to it. What is the restriction though?

Hitbox_Tyrant

"R.T.S.D" -Alex Valle

4. Push block

Actually aquaman can do b+1. Its interrupts f2.

JJocelot

Don't give up!
What's the gameplan if you land a hard knockdown on Aquaman's 223 string? Does this character have some great oki game?