What's new

Towers of Time must be the worst game design i saw in decades.

i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw how you unlock skins. watching the same fatality 50 times? watching an ai play? wtf?! how? how is this even remotely possible that a human being at nrs sat down, made this godawfull suggestion and everyone just agreed?
and that even while playing with game mechanics that dont exist in the core game. you cant even view it as training.

I also love how I don't seem to get Stolen Riches anymore from spirit chests and random mortal konsumable rewards.

The grind wasn't real enough already, NRS had to do something about people getting too many e-dollars...

Xelz

Go over there!
Why on earth all these items can't also be unlocked in online multiplayer in... a multiplayer game... is beyond me. Imagine if CoD said you could only unlock a big chunk of gear and cosmetics in single-player - there'd be rioting in the streets.

It's fine to give people a way to unlock everything via single-player, but don't cut off multiplayer gamers from accessing the same rewards. This really is one of the worst game design decisions from a AAA title in recent memory, and that's saying a lot after playing Anthem.

Whoever made that orbital laser modifier that just moves around the stage forcing you to block or lose half of your health? Not good.
Whoever decided to couple it with the modifier that shoots a laser down at you if you stand still for more than a second? Pure evil.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I love the towers. I have a great time in them.. I love crafting and using the cool items in game and the wacky conditions on some towers are just swell... it is just a heck of a lot of fun. Particularly for us old fogies that get sick of being murdered online lol...

The issue for me is not the towers... they are super awesome as they are....

BUT I think that like in Injustice 2.. there should be random loot dropped eveytime you play online fort those that do not play towers. Maybe make it so it drops specific stuff for what ever character you use and tower consumables. If you have all the stuff for your main, it randoms from the roster. Then if people want something very specific they might see it in a tower and run just that one. Even so there should be some unique tower rewards to reward the people that enjoy playing that way.

Anyway, that is how I think MK12 should go... if they basically just made loot drop in online modes so people were not forced to run the towers it would all be good.

How can the design of the game mode be the "worst", when it is working exactly as it was explicitly deigned to work --
TO FRUSTRATE PLAYERS INTO BUYING INTO THE GAME'S SURROGATE "TIME KRYSTALS" CURRENCIES, IN ORDER TO BYPASS THE HURDLES PLACED BETWEEN THEM (THE CONSUMER) AND ACCESS TO THEIR CONTENT (WHICH THEY HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR)...?

Love it or, most likely, hate it, it is working precisely as it was intended to work.

I actually like the Towers of Time mode. Sure, some of the modifiers are pretty annoying, but I like how the mode shakes up battles and everything. It's my most played mode in the game.

I actually like the Towers of Time mode. Sure, some of the modifiers are pretty annoying, but I like how the mode shakes up battles and everything. It's my most played mode in the game.
I would like it significantly more if the modifiers applied to both fighters. As it stands now it's a chore.
The modifiers range from "block a rocket every few seconds" to "we literally turned your screen off, you can't see shit". I beat those without AI and it definitely isn't fun.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I don't care about the instant gratification, but if they said "yea play online with your friends or random people and after a few months you'll have earned plenty to go in to the krypt and unlock all the stuff, or you can grind single player and do the augment math and get it in a third of the time" I would, but that's not how it works. This is an entire genre based around playing against other people. I like that they do a better job with single player stuff than other fgs but this is a huge step backwards to me. Inj2, mkx, igau, and mk9 all had more fun in single player mode which actually unlocked the stuff as well. Every game has built upon the previous ones but this is just too much, and incorporates a bunch of stuff from other types of games that I don't enjoy, so I play fighting games. Feel like the first time they have tried to make single player outshine multiplayer and I'm not personally into that. Augments and consumables are the opposite of playing a fighting game, I have 1,000 of them just from trying the krypt once and I can't even be bothered to read them all, never mind use them.

I have to agree with the title - Towers of Time already feel tedious. I've been grinding for the reward skin last week but in the end I just couldn't get myself into do another tower no matter what. I finsihed in the Top 7.9% meaning I was about 3% off my goals so I could blame myself but ultimately I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it if it's not fun. I had a shit ton of Koins, Souls and Hearts atm, now I only need Severed heads to unlock Shang's Throne Room but again - it's tedious grinding. And WTF is that character towers doesn't count in Race of Time?! The only thing that actually worth the grinding is excluded from the Race...

Single Player kontent is worse from game to game since IGAU. That was the best NRS game regarding Single Player towers because there was variety and creativity in them. Combo Hevan was so much fun and I liked Fully Charged too. Full House was 1000 times better than Endless because you had a clear goal: beat the whole Kast and if you do it without a loss you felt like a champ. It gave me much more satisfaction then beat 30 fighters and still lose to the 31st in the end. Heroes/Villains only would make much more sense to MK because we have not only allies in this game but family members. Why should I murder Jacqui as Jax instead of Kano,Kabal, the Kollector or Shao Kahn?

But no, MKX introduced silly modifiers and special events where everything was thrown at you so gameplay was reduced to Block, shoot projectile, do an X-Ray and die, if it's still not enough. Injustice 2 did the same with the addition of Assist for the player and MK11 does nothing else but give you access to modifiers to fight modifiers. What a great idea!

From now on I'll only play Towers of Time without modifiers to practice combos or earn some currency if I need it.

Whoever made that orbital laser modifier that just moves around the stage forcing you to block or lose half of your health? Not good.
Whoever decided to couple it with the modifier that shoots a laser down at you if you stand still for more than a second? Pure evil.
^Yeah. Modifiers like that in the towers are what I call "gimmicky," and I'm not a fan of those at all. So typically, I just don't play the ones with those modifiers.

I've also accumulated a lot of those "Skip Fight" tokens. I suppose I could use those too. I forgot about them, to be honest.

The general modifiers though, mostly things like rockets, basic projectiles, character assists, and most of the auras or elemental fists, are fine, even on "Hard."

And yeah, Time Krystals are actually a pretty uselss currency. I have thousands of those things, earned all in-game, and only bought one Skin from the Featured Store so far.

make it so it drops specific stuff for what ever character you use and tower consumables. If you have all the stuff for your main, it randoms from the roster. Then if people want something very specific they might see it in a tower and run just that one.
That's pretty much what i've been thinking all along. There needs to be some progression to the character that you're using. No point getting Noob cosmetics if you only use Scorpion, and this way you'll still get the others in time - although it should be at a slower rate as you're not playing that character. But it keeps you interested in your character, and gives you other stuff over time.

Towers of Time
it was in the name all along... all the "time" they expected players to spend on these towers!

Xelz

Go over there!
Y’all about some needy, instant gratification seeking crybabies.
No, we’d just rather play multiplayer than single player. It could take 2 years to unlock everything for all I care, but at least give me access the ToT unlocks by playing against real people.

Every minute I spend playing ToT is a minute waisted by playing a mode I don’t enjoy. It’s fine that other people do enjoy TOT, more power to them. But for f’in sake let multiplayer gamers unlock the same stuff in a genre that is historically multiplayer focused.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I have not played Online yet, but if your playing Ranked or Tournament, all Skins and Gear is randomized at character selection; regardless of what you've unlocked, correct?

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
My favorite with these is must get 10 flawless rounds. All the while you have to deal with tracking 10-15% chip on block gear the AI has. Thanks NRS.

Also why isn't the krypt accessable offline? Did a move recently and thought it was an oversight I couldn't play that game mode without a connection.
Just in case this wasn't suggested to you already, you can run the Klassic Survivor Tower on very easy mode to farm those flawless victories

Just in case this wasn't suggested to you already, you can run the Klassic Survivor Tower on very easy mode to farm those flawless victories
I've actually found getting Flawless Victories on the Normal AI in the regular Towers of Time is generally not too bad either. I'm getting one and sometimes two every day or so of play.

Madog32

I've actually found getting Flawless Victories on the Normal AI in the regular Towers of Time is generally not too bad either. I'm getting one and sometimes two every day or so of play.
Right on. I only suggest Survivor so you have your Krushing Blows available to you every fight.

Madog32

How THE FUCK do I get the flawless on stage 7 vs sub and scorp in the poison land?
Ya, that one is stupid. Can't crouch. Can't d1, d2, d3, d4. Can't get knocked down. Can't even do normals that make your character lower their hurtbox lol.

Right on. I only suggest Survivor so you have your Krushing Blows available to you every fight.
Ah, good stuff. As an older gamer and a klassic Mortal Kombat fan, I love the Klassic Towers, but I actually haven't tried the Endless and Survivour ones yet.