What's new

Towers of Time must be the worst game design i saw in decades.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I think it finally clicked for me how crappy this mode is when I realized that a worryingly large portion of my game time is spent watching my AI farm the towers for me when I'm not playing online.
And that's just it...Is anyone really playing? I just have a Noob Saibot with 30 points in rushdown and 30 points in combos do all the work for me because the AI is so much better at fighting AI than a human could be.

We aren't even playing the fucking game!

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Its shit. And so many people act like it is ok. "They gave us some koins and allowed us to block tracking missiles, it's all good now"... BULLSHIT.
The towers are still a piece of shit mode that you are forces to play to unlock a lot of stuff. There are unlocks hidden away in what basically is an expectator mode, a randomized krypt that works only online and is filled with crap like variation icons, forge items, and consumables. Everything you own still being restricted to P1, so if you play with someone else they have no access to anything, not even the custom variations you made.

There is so much wrong with this game.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
And that's just it...Is anyone really playing? I just have a Noob Saibot with 30 points in rushdown and 30 points in combos do all the work for me because the AI is so much better at fighting AI than a human could be.

We aren't even playing the fucking game!
I just wanna lead by saying that I 100% agree with this... but there was a huge missed opportunity not putting 'Wake up, sheeple!' somewhere in there.

kantboy-2

Ripper
A.I. battles are just as bad now and every character has skins and gear tied to it.

I just want all skins/gear so I can choose how the hell my Kano would look if I ever play online. But I can't do that because they padded the shit out of the worst modes in the entire game.

If I want to play an RPG, I have D:OS II on my shelf ready to be opened. They want to make a 'live service' game so badly, it's fucking with the actual fun of the game they actually made, a fighting game.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
In MK9 and MKX, Krypt was fair, gaining skins was fair (less that crap 10 wins in a row for that Johnny skin in MKX, lol) and so, 99% of the global fan base was happy hunting for these features and getting all with some time ..... ;)

I swear that if NRS release a DLC that give you all skins for MK11 , I would pay 15 bucks alone only for that, to get free of this torturous task and in order to stop playing all this insane crap shit random fest of ToT and AI battles ! :p

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
IMO, it's been pretty easy since they nerfed TOT AI.

I have no issue with the game-mode, in and of itself. (The reality is that the folks on this site constitute a very small minority of hardcore players - the vast majority of people who play this game are casual and something like TOT tends to appeal to them)

My only real complaint with respect to TOT is that there are many rewards (skins, brutalities, etc.) that can only be found in TOT. This is bullshit. You shouldn't be forced into playing a game mode you otherwise would have little/no interest in playing, just to get some skin or brutality that you really want for your character.

Fortunately for me, I am (mostly) ok with TOT and have already completed the stuff I really care about (i.e. Skarlet's character towers)

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Hopefully PC will have modded costumes and gear, cause Fuuuuuq doing this shit a second time.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
The single player experience of this game is overall pretty bad other than the story mode.
It's pretty much made to artificially inflate the number of hours played.
The ToT are so low effort it's hilarious. "Let's just throw a fuckton of random towers with random modifiers and random sets of fights and pretend the player isn't doing exactly the same thing throughout all of them".
The Krypt being random is ass. "But but but every player gets the exact same content from it!!!!". Well, it's true, but the Krypt is enormous and the best content, while being in a "fixed spot", is either behind Heart chests, the BS severed heads grind or the disgusting Shrine lottery system.
I'd gladly dump hours into the game if we had something like Deception/Armageddon Konquest mode to unlock the content and a traditional Krypt where you know where to find what you want. If anything, the way this game's single player experience was designed might cut down the overall time I spend with the game because of how exhausting it is.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
The single player experience of this game is overall pretty bad other than the story mode.
It's pretty much made to artificially inflate the number of hours played.
The ToT are so low effort it's hilarious. "Let's just throw a fuckton of random towers with random modifiers and random sets of fights and pretend the player isn't doing exactly the same thing throughout all of them".
The Krypt being random is ass. "But but but every player gets the exact same content from it!!!!". Well, it's true, but the Krypt is enormous and the best content, while being in a "fixed spot", is either behind Heart chests, the BS severed heads grind or the disgusting Shrine lottery system.
I'd gladly dump hours into the game if we had something like Deception/Armageddon Konquest mode to unlock the content and a traditional Krypt where you know where to find what you want. If anything, the way this game's single player experience was designed might cut down the overall time I spend with the game because of how exhausting it is.
And the doodoo cherry on top of the shit cake is THE SAME TOWERS YOU ALREADY COMPLETED RE-SPAWN! Like WTF?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I'm enjoying it quite a lot tbh. Sure it could have been better, but everything can be if you think about it. There are some bs modifiers, but overall, its actually the main mode I play.
Its the main mode ALOT of people play because they have to in order to get skins. Thats the issue. I just wish online Casual/ranked any online matches gave some skins because we're actually learning the game grinding match-ups.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Even if you like the single player modes, pretty much ALL PEOPLE WANT is to be able to unlock shit by playing online, even if you'd need a lot of matches to do so. I don't believe that's an unreasonable thing to ask, at all. It'd still increase the player hours from everybody, but in the way that a lot of people want to play the game: online, competing, without dumping hours into a mode we hate.

I have no issue with the game-mode, in and of itself. (The reality is that the folks on this site constitute a very small minority of hardcore players - the vast majority of people who play this game are casual and something like TOT tends to appeal to them)

My only real complaint with respect to TOT is that there are many rewards (skins, brutalities, etc.) that can only be found in TOT. This is bullshit. You shouldn't be forced into playing a game mode you otherwise would have little/no interest in playing, just to get some skin or brutality that you really want for your character.

Fortunately for me, I am (mostly) ok with TOT and have already completed the stuff I really care about (i.e. Skarlet's character towers)
^This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I find most of the skins and such in the game aren't anything great anyway, since so many of them are just palette swaps. Do I think there's a better way to do this overall? Yes. Do I think the way it is is the end of the world? No. Most of the stuff I want I'll get by playing over time. Even if I don't get each individual item I want, I'll live.

Try getting to round 30 in gautlet. Then see what you think lol. Most of which you have to sit in corner and spam consumables

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
Completely agree. I mostly played ToT the first few weeks till I got bored out of my mind, unlocked all of the Krypt three times over and still I'm missing half the stuff for every character.
Now even if I refill the krypt I get shit, I can only buy skins from the Shrine for 100K apiece and playing online I get less 1500 per match.

How is this good game design only NRS knows.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Single player content is fine, but I find the ToT to be disappointing. The modifiers aren't really fun and a lot of them are the same. Sure its cool to name drop Hydro and Meat, but their modifiers are the same low projectile across the ground with a different animation.

I just wanted a bit more variety in things, more ridiculous fun stuff as opposed to just frustrating modifiers. Where's the goofy stuff like armless combat, or silly reasons for characters fighting with specific pre-reqs.

My biggest gripe is that I feel like i'm being punished when playing a mode that isn't ToT when it comes to rewards. Running a long set against a player, yields 1/10th of the rewards from doing a tower.

Yeah, cool, but how and why peoplelike you exist remains an enigma.
Not everyone is a competative gamer, and not everyone is big on online gaming. It's not an enigma at all.

I think it's great in general that NetherRealms Studios designs various game modes in its games for all types of players. Single, Multi, Casual, Competative. There's something for everyone in their titles.