What's new

Tournaments Should be 3/5?

Maxter

Noob
of course time is a factor, specially when you have only 4 setups running for the game, if Injustice has 8 dedicated setups in tournament time will run smooth, also remember the game total time per matches is 2:40 mins, you have only one big round, not health reset after round, so whoever winning the first round has the advantage, you have strong intractable setups speeding up the matches, no round transition to reset the time, GTFOH, game should be 3/5 it just need more setups, UFGT ran the whole tournament on time with only 4 setups and one more was added later, 8 setups will do to run the tournament on time.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
of course time is a factor, specially when you have only 4 setups running for the game, if Injustice has 8 dedicated setups in tournament time will run smooth, also remember the game total time per matches is 2:40 mins, you have only one big round, not health reset after round, so whoever winning the first round has the advantage, you have strong intractable setups speeding up the matches, no round transition to reset the time, GTFOH, game should be 3/5 it just need more setups, UFGT ran the whole tournament on time with only 4 setups and one more was added later, 8 setups will do to run the tournament on time.
So who is going to pay for those setups? What games are you going to cut just so Injustice has more games played? (Space issues)

Maxter

Noob
So who is going to pay for those setups? What games are you going to cut just so Injustice has more games played? (Space issues)
Go to a tournament and see how many monitors are running SF4 and UMVC3 and then talk to me about if we deserve the same treatment or not after paying for venue and expensive trips to support the scene. I know those games get more people, but if it needed some locals could contribute with extra setups like it always has been done, lol do you think that 8 setups are too many compared to these other games? oh well i'm out =(

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Go to a tournament and see how many monitors are running SF4 and UMVC3 and then talk to me about if we deserve the same treatment or not after paying for venue and expensive trips to support the scene. I know those games get more people, but if it needed some locals could contribute with extra setups like it always has been done, lol do you think that 8 setups are too many compared to these other games? oh well i'm out =(
But are the Capcom games going to give up some of their setups for an NRS game? Hell no, unless the TO tells them too.

Plus at certain tournaments Capcom games get 1-200 more than Injustice which means they need way more setups as well.

Noob
Part of the reason I got OUT of running tournaments is because of this argument.

- Tournaments run almost exclusively on volunteer work. Many of these volunteers provide full or partial setups that MANY of them take with them once they're eliminated (or need to go home, or need to go to bed...etc)

- Players forget that they're not the only people at the tournament. The volunteers are committed to the cause when they are there...and we have to be there HOURS before to set up and HOURS after to break down...Unlike the ungrateful players who:
-SHOW UP LATE
-PISS AND MOAN ABOUT OUR VOLUNTEER WORK
-LEAVE EARLY WITHOUT SO MUCH AS CONSIDERING THE TIME WE NEED TO BREAK DOWN
-ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PRETTY MUCH 100% OF ALL THEFTS AT TOURNAMENTS(including volunteer equipment)
-ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR A HIGH% OF BROKEN VOLUNTEER EQUIPMENT

I'd list more, but it'll just piss me off more.

Honestly, if you want 3/5, step up and do it yourself. You be the one to have to be early, deal with late ungrateful players who don't care what time you get out of the venue, see your stuff broken or stolen, break down, leave late...

So yeah, in the end, I'm never in favor of 3/5 unless in the case of UMVC3, it really doesn't affect the overall time of the tournament.

Prove to me in your own locals that 3/5 doesn't cause that and I'll get behind 3/5.

Meh. Start being strict about match start time and stop times. Stop catering to players who cannot show up on time, who cannot wait patiently and don't have the necessary equipment to participate.

By merely adjusting the leniency in the events more than enough time could be salvaged to make 3/5 feasible. It would also help make streams more entertaining to watch as there would be less down time.

Noob
Meh. Start being strict about match start time and stop times. Stop catering to players who cannot show up on time, who cannot wait patiently and don't have the necessary equipment to participate.

By merely adjusting the leniency in the events more than enough time could be salvaged to make 3/5 feasible. It would also help make streams more entertaining to watch as there would be less down time.

You'd be surprised at just how untrue this really is.

You'd be surprised at just how untrue this really is.

Weren't you just saying that a big part of the problem is players showing up late, being disrespectful of the events, etc.?

The frequency I watch TOs try and jockey together a replacement match because player X is nowhere to be found is infuriating.

I REGULARLY see the following:

Matches being held up while one player begs around for a stick to use when they didn't bring their own. (this includes players I have seen WIN sticks at events just prior)

Matches being held up because player X is nowhere to be found, sleeping in, or otherwise unable to show up for their scheduled match.

TOs having to run around to try and find player X who is there, but is distracted eating hotdogs, or whatever and is not ready to play right when their match starts.

And not to mention the not infrequent 30+ second button checks.

Those things add up, rapidly, creating an inefficient process/event and resulting in difficulties scheduling.

Part of the reason I got OUT of running tournaments is because of this argument.

- Tournaments run almost exclusively on volunteer work. Many of these volunteers provide full or partial setups that MANY of them take with them once they're eliminated (or need to go home, or need to go to bed...etc)

- Players forget that they're not the only people at the tournament. The volunteers are committed to the cause when they are there...and we have to be there HOURS before to set up and HOURS after to break down...Unlike the ungrateful players who:
-SHOW UP LATE
-PISS AND MOAN ABOUT OUR VOLUNTEER WORK
-LEAVE EARLY WITHOUT SO MUCH AS CONSIDERING THE TIME WE NEED TO BREAK DOWN
-ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PRETTY MUCH 100% OF ALL THEFTS AT TOURNAMENTS(including volunteer equipment)
-ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR A HIGH% OF BROKEN VOLUNTEER EQUIPMENT

I'd list more, but it'll just piss me off more.

Honestly, if you want 3/5, step up and do it yourself. You be the one to have to be early, deal with late ungrateful players who don't care what time you get out of the venue, see your stuff broken or stolen, break down, leave late...

So yeah, in the end, I'm never in favor of 3/5 unless in the case of UMVC3, it really doesn't affect the overall time of the tournament.

Prove to me in your own locals that 3/5 doesn't cause that and I'll get behind 3/5.
what major runs on volunteer work? no big e event...

i feel that players invest time and money to travel to these events.

u want a real kick in the nuts? go look how long a tekken top 8 is compared to inj currently...

Noob
Weren't you just saying that a big part of the problem is players showing up late, being disrespectful of the events, etc.?

The frequency I watch TOs try and jockey together a replacement match because player X is nowhere to be found is infuriating.

I REGULARLY see the following:

Matches being held up while one player begs around for a stick to use when they didn't bring their own. (this includes players I have seen WIN sticks at events just prior)

Matches being held up because player X is nowhere to be found, sleeping in, or otherwise unable to show up for their scheduled match.

TOs having to run around to try and find player X who is there, but is distracted eating hotdogs, or whatever and is not ready to play right when their match starts.

And not to mention the not infrequent 30+ second button checks.

Those things add up, rapidly, creating an inefficient process/event and resulting in difficulties scheduling.

And again, my answer is what I said before...

Step up and do it. Only through experience will you learn that what I'm saying is right. One cannot learn by being told this... you have to experience it.

From a player standpoint, I get it. But wait till the first time you DQ someone who is running late from the airport or someone who had enough foresight to tell you they need to leave for 45 mins to take care of their child and is racing back to make their match... watch what happens.

Wait till you DQ a player and they run to TO above you to "tell on you"... good luck feeling useful when that happens.

Step up and do it...get the experience and then come back and see if you still disagree with me.

And let it be known...I'm not being sarcastic or facetious. I'm saying this because the only way to educate people about this is for them to experience it from the other side.

Noob
what major runs on volunteer work? no big e event...

i feel that players invest time and money to travel to these events.

u want a real kick in the nuts? go look how long a tekken top 8 is compared to inj currently...

I've never been paid to help run a Big E event, nor has Shock or summoning

Between the three of us and some very generous MKC members, we have provided all the equipment and games for multiple NE tournaments without having to ask for external help.

We have done this without compensation.

I'm also not concerned about Tekken. If they wanna run 5/9, that's on them, I don't care.

I'm concerned about the MK and INJ communities and them getting a tournament from start to finish. If this means 2/3 because 3/5 takes too long then that is what it is.

If it CAN be done 3/5, prove it in locals and we'll push for it.

What I don't appreciate is trying to build a mob mentality with the community looking to make people hate TO's who want to run 2/3 before 3/5 has been proven.

Prove and it will be done.

I've never been paid to help run a Big E event, nor has Shock or summoning

Between the three of us and some very generous MKC members, we have provided all the equipment and games for multiple NE tournaments without having to ask for external help.

We have done this without compensation.

I'm also not concerned about Tekken. If they wanna run 5/9, that's on them, I don't care.

I'm concerned about the MK and INJ communities and them getting a tournament from start to finish. If this means 2/3 because 3/5 takes too long then that is what it is.

If it CAN be done 3/5, prove it in locals and we'll push for it.

What I don't appreciate is trying to build a mob mentality with the community looking to make people hate TO's who want to run 2/3 before 3/5 has been proven.

Prove and it will be done.
so tekken should get 3 hrs for top 8 and inj should only get 2 even if inj is the more popular game at the moment?

lobo

woof.
my 2 cents:

the soul calibur community held a similar discussion for SC5 and elected to change tournaments to 3/5 to remove the random aspects of the game. the result was this; tournaments take waaaaaaaaaaaay longer and stream people hate the game/community for being a time hog. i don't know enough of the history and tournament life of injustice to say if it is a good or bad idea, but i do know that this change made SC5 from a decently accepted and hyped stream game into something that other community players abhor akin to the tekken games because it takes so long and cuts into other games' time.

my 2 cents:

the soul calibur community held a similar discussion for SC5 and elected to change tournaments to 3/5 to remove the random aspects of the game. the result was this; tournaments take waaaaaaaaaaaay longer and stream people hate the game/community for being a time hog. i don't know enough of the history and tournament life of injustice to say if it is a good or bad idea, but i do know that this change made SC5 from a decently accepted and hyped stream game into something that other community players abhor akin to the tekken games because it takes so long and cuts into other games' time.
sc should not be 3/5 bc of the round system.

my number one reason has to do with the round system in this game...

lobo

woof.
i'm inclined to agree. at the end of the day, though, it all comes down to what TOs will tolerate.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
3/5 is more than possible, it's being done. More than 200 sets of 3/5 are being ran by Rapzilla and I in less than 4 hours.

No excuses.

But what I don't see his how 2/3 can allow a gimmicky player to win, but one more match will make sure the better player wins? I'm not buying that. That's why AJ and I do round robin tournaments.

If we can get a concensus on 3/5 TOs would plan around it and make it work. I would truely love 3/5 but moreso I would just enjoy all tournaments to be the same format with rounds and stage select. As a community we need to push TOs to use the rules that we believe provides the most fair playing field for our game and demonstrate it. No this doesn't mean bitch and whine about TOs, this means letting them know and giving legitimate reasons for doing it that way as other communities have done.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Gimmicks suck, man. Some characters have like 3 gimmicks that lead to SOMETHING. I typically fall for them because I don't expect serious players to use them... ;)