What's new

Thunderpunch Studios Looking for Writer(s) and Artist(s)

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
This is pretty cool. Magic, technology, mutants, undead? Its everything I love! lol

I'm currently a student in game/arts. I'll send you a pm with some student work if that helps. I'd love to know more about this.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
It's come to my attention that a few writers have postponed applying for the position since I hired Espio. Though I haven't picked up a 2nd artist yet, this is an RPG and will require quite a bit of story and character development, so I very well might end up adding a 2nd writer to our team. So please, if this is something you would really like to be a part of please don't hesitate to contact me to see if you would be a good fit for out small team. Thanks!

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
The robot or cyborg looks like a mix of Ultraman from that japanese show and War Machine. pretty cool designs, looks to me the Idea you are going for is a Facebook type of game, not to be blunt but thats what I see.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The robot or cyborg looks like a mix of Ultraman from that japanese show and War Machine. pretty cool designs, looks to me the Idea you are going for is a Facebook type of game, not to be blunt but thats what I see.
We're aiming for mobile devices and potentially console dlc. Facebook is a possibility, but this won't be a f2p game; we want our players to be able to simply purchase and play without worrying about time limits, random unlocks, and all that other bullshit you have to deal with in games like Candy Crush and Marvel Puzzle Quest.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Yeah, thats good. I played a lil bit of those FB games but waiting for a certain time and wasting real money to get items in game to progress in the game is a bitch.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
As a few of you know, I run an independent game studio called Thunderpunch Studios (you can check out our previous project here). Due to the size and complexity of that project, combined with my move to Iowa and having to set up a new business, we unfortunately had to put SODWA on hiatus. However, now that my new business is thriving and my free time has opened up, my lead programmer and I have begun to work on a much simpler project that still has massive commercial potential.

Because I know there are more than a few talented individuals in this community who share the same interests as myself (fighting games, comic books, etc), I figured TYM could be a great place to attract a like-minded writer or artist to join our small team.

I'll post a bit of information about our current project here, though please realize any images are more for organizational purposes and do not remotely represent final designs.

Our current design is still set in the SODWA universe, which is based heavily on an amalgamation of old Saturday morning cartoon series such as Thundercats, He-Man, and Voltron. There's magic, high technology, mutants, bounty hunters, undead, etc. The player is a Hunter, which is basically a combination bounty hunter/monster hunter/thug-for-hire. We're looking to make this a T-Rated tactical adventure that puts it just a bit out of the bounds of your average casual gamer.

The gameplay is centered around a match-3 mechanic, similar to Puzzle Quest or Candy Crush, though it gets a bit more in depth. Combat takes place between up to 6 characters in 3v3 scenarios, and there are distinctions between melee, ranged, and special attacks. Here is an early mock-up of what the battle screen might look like (please remember this is purely organization, and does not contain enemy characters or a number of additional features):

The goal is to match tiles to gain ability points or damage your opponents. By matching Strength, Skill, Tech, and Power tiles, characters gain access to their special abilities. By matching Melee and Ranged tiles, they are able to directly damage their opponents. Structure tiles may be used in a number of ways, from punching someone through a wall by combining them with Melee tiles, to having a power that allows a character to absorb solid matter into their body, thus healing them when they destroy Structure Tiles.

If you want a more in-depth view of the core concepts, you can check out our basic outline here.

Right now we're primarily looking for writers to help build the world and flesh out the narrative. We could also use artists capable of generating concept art and icon designs (such as tiles and buttons).

Like 99% of indie game projects this could end up going nowhere (though if we end up hitting even 1% of Candy Crush's revenue we'll be looking at a $2,940,602-a-year title [source]). Therefore this project is not for anyone looking to make a quick buck, but it is for people who want experience working with a solid team of mature and enthusiastic developers.

If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of, please contact me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to answer your questions and tell you more about the project. You can also feel free to post questions in this thread and I'll attempt to answer them here. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing from you!

-Brian Woody, Thunderpunch Studios
Totally just checked this thread late.

I would love to be involved in this project..i recently graduated in theater arts not to long ago and would love to contribute to this project from a writing or whatever standpoint.

I have a resume i can send if writing and or other spots are open!

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Just popping in to say this sounds awesome and it's cool to see people find talent and work together from tym and such. Hope you guys have a lot of fun and make it far :)

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Totally just checked this thread late.

I would love to be involved in this project..i recently graduated in theater arts not to long ago and would love to contribute to this project from a writing or whatever standpoint.

I have a resume i can send if writing and or other spots are open!
Absolutely. Really example work is more helpful than a resume, since I'm looking more at compatibility than experience.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Absolutely. Really example work is more helpful than a resume, since I'm looking more at compatibility than experience.
Hmm i believe the only example of written work i have is an article i was asked to write a couple of years ago by capcom on ducktales lol.

But i can send you a link to that.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Hmm i believe the only example of written work i have is an article i was asked to write a couple of years ago by capcom on ducktales lol.

But i can send you a link to that.
Ha, sounds interesting, and it would be better than nothing. At this point I've received so many requests that it would be unfair to the other applicants to bring anyone on board with some form of example work to go by.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Pretty much done with the battle UI. We're still looking for artists if anyone is interested in joining our team. Here's what we've got so far, as far as the battle UI goes:

The player's team is displayed on the left, with the main character being on top. The enemy team is displayed on the right.

Each character sheet contains the following information:
  • Portrait: This is a picture of the character, including the character's name.
  • HP: This bar contains both visual and numerical representation of the characters Hit Points.
  • Status Effects: These are icons that appear at the top of the character portrait that represent the various effects that are active on the character. Tapping these icons causes information to be displayed in the Information Box in the bottom middle of the screen.
  • Attribute Ranks: These numbers appear directly below the character's portrait and indicate the character's Strength, Agility, Intelligence, and Willpower.
  • Active Abilities: Each character possesses 3 active abilities, which are displayed to the right of their portrait. Active Abilities require Ability Points to use. If the player doesn't have the required points to use an ability, the button is gray. If the player has the required amount of points, the button glows green. The required number of materials are displayed on the button below the name of the ability.
  • Attack Values: The character's Melee and Ranged values are displayed below the portrait, in addition to any additional effects applied to the character's Melee and Ranged attacks, such as Armor Piercing or Burning.
    • If a character has been designated as an attacker, their corresponding attack type will be highlighted in red, as seen with Psyche's ranged value and Hippoborg's melee value.
  • Passive Abilities: Any passive abilities possessed by the character or included with their equipment are displayed along with their Attack Values. Tapping any of these abilities will allow their information to be displayed in the Information Box.
Below each team's character sheets are bars that display the team's reserve of Ability Points. Just like a character's HP value, these bars are represented visually and numerically, with each bar filling up with its ability type's designated color as the player collects Ability Points of that type.

The middle section of the screen contains the Combat Grid, or Battlefield. This is where the player attempts to rearrange tiles in order to form matches of 3 or more. If a player taps a tile, that tile will begin spinning and information about that tile will be loaded into the Information Box at the bottom of the screen. If an adjacent tile is tapped that would result in a legal move, the tiles switch places and a match takes.

Below the Battle Grid is the Information Box. Many aspects of the battle screen may be tapped in order to load information into this box, allowing the player to make more informed decisions.

Last edited:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Anyone know any C# programmers or anyone familiar with Unity? We don't need pros, but some familiarity is preferable.