What's new

This poor noob needs help bad

Benzo

Vic Stone
Say bro watch matches. Analyze them. Think about what they do and the decisions they make.
Also get your execution down that's super important. It doesn't matter who you play and what you play on.

First off I want to thank all of you for your fast responses to my questions. I like the feedback and will definitely take all of your comments to heart as i train.

NoxiousDonny
Thanks for the feedback man. I looked at both batman and Aquaman early because of how i was introduced to injustice. I had heard of the game before but wrote it off as a passing fad, however i stumbled onto the final 8 matches at evo this year on youtube and fell in love with the game. Both batman and aquaman saw action in the tournament with the aquaman taking the victory. I loved how batman could rush in and do flashy combos and get out but to be honest I was at a loss with him. As i played i would find my self getting into a routine of losing my composure during intense matches and simply button mashing. While effective at times(mostly against the computer) i found i was horribly smashed by even slightly more experienced players online. I think, as far as batman goes, i should probably learn a less rush based character until i have a good feel for the flow of the matches and a better understanding of character supers, specials and tactics.

Unfortunately i glossed completely over aquaman, mostly because my fanboydom kept drawing me to more "popular" characters from the DC series. I think i might be time to try him out again and see if i like him a little better now that i have a little bit more experience.

Thanks for the advice, your a gem in my book.

Rodrigue
Honestly i grappled with the idea of playing latern. He was one of my favorite comic book heroes, but he wasnt as "flashy" as some of the other characters. I think he deserves another chance alongside aquaman as a main.

Catwoman. Oh catwoman. Nothing is more alluring than a woman in black leather, but i digress. Honestly, I have never given her that much of a chance. Sounds like an experiment :)

Love the thoughts, keep em up bro :D

Cossner
I play xbox live. Tag is GHOST OPS RECON

Anyone please feel free to add me. Im always looking for sparing partners and I would love to get a good group of friends to challenge myself with. (just let me know your from the forums when you send the invite, thanks)

insomnia_ftw
Interactables, oh the pain...THA PAAAIIIINNNN. I hate them most of the time. Hard to dodge imo, and even harder to use against more advanced players. If you have any tips i would love to hear them. Problem is i need someone to practice with...

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and ideas. Cant wait to get on and try them out tonight. Btw if anyone is interested I should be online tonight around 10pm central time (8 west coast, 11 eastern) look me up if you want to shoot the breeze or go a few rounds. Please be gentle tho :)

@ benzo
I have been watching lots of videos. They have helped alot, but i feel like there is a hill separating me from applying alot of the more advanced things to my game. I was mainly looking for some focus on how to progress a little towards that higher skill level.

Thanks for the info and i will be watching more matches in the future.

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
First off I want to thank all of you for your fast responses to my questions. I like the feedback and will definitely take all of your comments to heart as i train.

NoxiousDonny
Thanks for the feedback man. I looked at both batman and Aquaman early because of how i was introduced to injustice. I had heard of the game before but wrote it off as a passing fad, however i stumbled onto the final 8 matches at evo this year on youtube and fell in love with the game. Both batman and aquaman saw action in the tournament with the aquaman taking the victory. I loved how batman could rush in and do flashy combos and get out but to be honest I was at a loss with him. As i played i would find my self getting into a routine of losing my composure during intense matches and simply button mashing. While effective at times(mostly against the computer) i found i was horribly smashed by even slightly more experienced players online. I think, as far as batman goes, i should probably learn a less rush based character until i have a good feel for the flow of the matches and a better understanding of character supers, specials and tactics.

Unfortunately i glossed completely over aquaman, mostly because my fanboydom kept drawing me to more "popular" characters from the DC series. I think i might be time to try him out again and see if i like him a little better now that i have a little bit more experience.

Thanks for the advice, your a gem in my book.

Rodrigue
Honestly i grappled with the idea of playing latern. He was one of my favorite comic book heroes, but he wasnt as "flashy" as some of the other characters. I think he deserves another chance alongside aquaman as a main.

Catwoman. Oh catwoman. Nothing is more alluring than a woman in black leather, but i digress. Honestly, I have never given her that much of a chance. Sounds like an experiment :)

Love the thoughts, keep em up bro :D

Cossner
I play xbox live. Tag is GHOST OPS RECON

Anyone please feel free to add me. Im always looking for sparing partners and I would love to get a good group of friends to challenge myself with. (just let me know your from the forums when you send the invite, thanks)

insomnia_ftw
Interactables, oh the pain...THA PAAAIIIINNNN. I hate them most of the time. Hard to dodge imo, and even harder to use against more advanced players. If you have any tips i would love to hear them. Problem is i need someone to practice with...

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and ideas. Cant wait to get on and try them out tonight. Btw if anyone is interested I should be online tonight around 10pm central time (8 west coast, 11 eastern) look me up if you want to shoot the breeze or go a few rounds. Please be gentle tho :)

No worries. Hope it helped even just a little.
Also, I wouldn't go Catwoman if you're not into rushdown.

I like rushdown, but i feel i lack the experience to be effective at it. Still not good enough at recognizing character specials and their telegraphs.

recap.

So i picked up aquaman some last night and after about an hour of training i felt pretty good about his standard combos and how to initiate with him. i really like leading off the match with F2 1+3 followed by B123. This seems to keep people on their toes, but i had a few thoughts and wanted to your opinions.

First, I watched a few of tom brady's matchups last night and wanted some confirmation on his combos. I noticed that he usually starts with the B11 and either cancels into DF1(if they are close), DB1 or DB2. Most of the time his bnb was B11 DB2 MB B11 DB1 into either F2 1+3 or 223. (please let me know if I am wrong, this is just what i thought he was doing)

Second, while there is no doubt that this bnb is effective, i found it rather predictable after a few matches, mostly because he always seemed to lead with the B1 which is a low hit. I guess it throws a lot of people off because aquaman never crouches so they arent expecting a low. Do you guys think this is to straight forward or deceptively effective? your thoughts please :)

Third, i have noticed that i have some problems with reset combos. What is the best option for aquaman when he is on the receiving of a reset combo and what kinds of wake-up attacks are good for handling those situations.

Thanks guys.

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
recap.

So i picked up aquaman some last night and after about an hour of training i felt pretty good about his standard combos and how to initiate with him. i really like leading off the match with F2 1+3 followed by B123. This seems to keep people on their toes, but i had a few thoughts and wanted to your opinions.

First, I watched a few of tom brady's matchups last night and wanted some confirmation on his combos. I noticed that he usually starts with the B11 and either cancels into DF1(if they are close), DB1 or DB2. Most of the time his bnb was B11 DB2 MB B11 DB1 into either F2 1+3 or 223. (please let me know if I am wrong, this is just what i thought he was doing)

Second, while there is no doubt that this bnb is effective, i found it rather predictable after a few matches, mostly because he always seemed to lead with the B1 which is a low hit. I guess it throws a lot of people off because aquaman never crouches so they arent expecting a low. Do you guys think this is to straight forward or deceptively effective? your thoughts please :)

Third, i have noticed that i have some problems with reset combos. What is the best option for aquaman when he is on the receiving of a reset combo and what kinds of wake-up attacks are good for handling those situations.

Thanks guys.
I like J3, B12, DB2 MB, 22, DB1, 22, trident toss. Gets about 42% I think. Has a really nice overhead, low mixup, really effective.

Also, MB B3 is your friend. If you see they're going to jump in at you (Batman's will often do this, because they have a nasty J2) you can B3 MB, and to follow up for B3 MB if it hits, you can go J3, 22, DB2 MB, 22, DB1, 223 (I think that's it).

insomnia_ftw

It's simple.. We normalize the superman.
insomnia_ftw
Interactables can be pretty hard to dodge, especially if you don't see them coming. So that's step one: knowing where all of them are so that you know if a player is going for them. I'm guessing the ones that give you the most trouble are the thrown ones? Some of those can be very tricky to get around. On reaction, you should be able to backdash them (although that requires some strict timing) or sometimes neutral jump them, depending on how far away you are. If you see them coming and you are close enough, try to make a mad dash forward to go under and past your opponent as they are bringing the interactable into the air. I see that you're trying Aquaman out, so try using his water shield against them. I think you might take the damage, but you won't get knocked back at all. It really comes down to match experience, knowing when and how an opponent will use an interactable, and either striking them before they can or positioning yourself accordingly.

I'd be down to practice with you, are you on xbl?

Donny
I like your combo of J3, B12, DB2 MB, 22, DB1, 22, trident toss, I ll have to try it out. I watched a video of Tom Brady explaining his usage of finishers for that combo (ie the 22 Trident toss, 223, and F2 1+3). In the video he said that using the 223 option was viable but it puts the opponent outside of the optimal range for followup combos. His preference was the F2 1+3 finisher because it drops them inside aquaman's special and overhead range but usually outside the opponents range. Personally though, I think that the 223 combo is easier to land, but that could just be me. Also, thanks for the MB B3 info. I had just found that not five minutes before your post and was thinking that it was exactly what i needed. Spot on bro. Loving this char now. I feel like i am getting a better grasp on things.

insomnia_ftw
I am starting to get a good grasp on the interactables, but the ones that i have trouble with are the tracking thrown ones. Things like the globes in Atlantis or the robots from several stages. These tend to give me the most trouble. BTW, do you use any strategies to bait them out of position? I have thought about jumping at the interactables like i am going to throw them and hitting J3 into a combo instead when they dash forward. Does this sound plausible?

I am on XBL, tag is GHOST OPS RECON
feel free to add me ( just let me know your from the forums)
Ill be on a lot this afternoon and evening so look me up if you get some free time.

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
Donny
I like your combo of J3, B12, DB2 MB, 22, DB1, 22, trident toss, I ll have to try it out. I watched a video of Tom Brady explaining his usage of finishers for that combo (ie the 22 Trident toss, 223, and F2 1+3). In the video he said that using the 223 option was viable but it puts the opponent outside of the optimal range for followup combos. His preference was the F2 1+3 finisher because it drops them inside aquaman's special and overhead range but usually outside the opponents range. Personally though, I think that the 223 combo is easier to land, but that could just be me. Also, thanks for the MB B3 info. I had just found that not five minutes before your post and was thinking that it was exactly what i needed. Spot on bro. Loving this char now. I feel like i am getting a better grasp on things.

insomnia_ftw
I am starting to get a good grasp on the interactables, but the ones that i have trouble with are the tracking thrown ones. Things like the globes in Atlantis or the robots from several stages. These tend to give me the most trouble. BTW, do you use any strategies to bait them out of position? I have thought about jumping at the interactables like i am going to throw them and hitting J3 into a combo instead when they dash forward. Does this sound plausible?

I am on XBL, tag is GHOST OPS RECON
feel free to add me ( just let me know your from the forums)
Ill be on a lot this afternoon and evening so look me up if you get some free time.

First man, be sure to tag NoxiousDonny and not just Donny, because you're actually tagging a different person, haha.
Thanks, oh yeah, that makes sense.

Yeah I think I just use it because I started with it because it's easier, and then just went well with it so never tried the more difficult to land ender.

That's great! Glad you're getting into it. As you go on you'll get better and better and keep learning more about your main, and if you're anything like me and most others, you'll keep trying through others until they stick. You'll have multiple mains/secondaries in no time I'm sure. :)

Donny
Hey, what do you think of Aquaman's 1123 and his B123 combos?
Well, I suppose it you cancel after the 112 part of the 1123 string that would do good damage. I use B12 heaps, just for the low starter, but I don't see much point in B123, better off going B12 into full combo.

insomnia_ftw

It's simple.. We normalize the superman.
I'll be sure to add you when I get off work. My xbl is the same as my name here so you'll probably recognize it.

Yeah the tracking thrown interactables pretty much have to be avoided in an alternative way. As for your scenario with faking an interactable and going for a j3 instead; that's a clever way to mix up a smart opponent. However, if they instead decide to shoot something at you, you'd get hit as you fell. That's matchup experience though: What changes do you need to make to your gameplan against each different character, and how is each character going to play against you.

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
NoxiousDonny
Sorry bout that should have payed more attention to the name instead of going off my memory.
No worries.

A good BnB would be - B12, DB2, B12, DB2 MB, 22, DB1, F2 1+3. 39%, and can follow up with: DB2 MB, dash, B12, DB1, F2 1+3, first combo which leads into second combo, is 40% + 30% is 70%, which is crazy.

cool, I added you. Thanks to everyone for the help and support. I finally feel like i have a good grasp of this game. AFter a couple of days i have logged about 200 ranked matches and actually have somewhere around a 3/2 ratio. My only problems now revolve around matchups mostly and those online people who counter pick or play only one character religiously.

Started to really like black adam and think that he is a good matchup for 90% of the matches. My problem areas for him are mostly martian manhunter(which i hard counter with nightwing, b2 333 wrecks his telepunch) and batgirl. Freakin hate batgirl. anyone have any strategies to use against her? Any strategy will do, not just black adam specific.