What's new

This poor noob needs help bad

Sorry for such a long post.

First off let me start by saying that it has been a very long time since a fighting game has interested me this much. (try mk1 and sf2...yeah im old) Anyway, I love the injustice game and really enjoyed playing the story line and running through the battles. However, I have noticed something when i get into ranked or player matches online...

I SUCK.

Im a big enough man to admit it. It seems that i have hit a plateau in skill where i can beat the game with little difficulty but i am just not up to par with the online community. So I need you guys with your collective infinite wisdom to help me on my path to becoming a better gamer.

First, characters.
The fanboy in me has a hard time narrowing down which character i want to polish my skills on. I have basic knowledge of most of the characters but i am still a little shaky when it comes to matchups. In your opinion, which character(s) do you recommend for first timers? ( please include your reasoning and possible strategies that you find effective.)

Second, Training.
When learning a new character, what should i be focused on trying to perfect when starting a new character? (ie combos, punishers, zoning)

Third, your opinions.
What would be the most important thing that you wish you knew when you first started playing this game?

Thanks for you help. gg

Also, Do you prefer a controller or an arcade style pad? I am thinking of getting a pad and i wanted to know what you guys think of them?

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
Sorry for such a long post.

First off let me start by saying that it has been a very long time since a fighting game has interested me this much. (try mk1 and sf2...yeah im old) Anyway, I love the injustice game and really enjoyed playing the story line and running through the battles. However, I have noticed something when i get into ranked or player matches online...

I SUCK.

Im a big enough man to admit it. It seems that i have hit a plateau in skill where i can beat the game with little difficulty but i am just not up to par with the online community. So I need you guys with your collective infinite wisdom to help me on my path to becoming a better gamer.

First, characters.
The fanboy in me has a hard time narrowing down which character i want to polish my skills on. I have basic knowledge of most of the characters but i am still a little shaky when it comes to matchups. In your opinion, which character(s) do you recommend for first timers? ( please include your reasoning and possible strategies that you find effective.)

Second, Training.
When learning a new character, what should i be focused on trying to perfect when starting a new character? (ie combos, punishers, zoning)

Third, your opinions.
What would be the most important thing that you wish you knew when you first started playing this game?

Thanks for you help. gg
Also, Do you prefer a controller or an arcade style pad? I am thinking of getting a pad and i wanted to know what you guys think of them?

Well, I'm probably not skilled enough myself to give to much advice to others, but I'll do my best.

1) Well, I suggest you try a mix of a character that you like (one of your favorite DC characters) that you also enjoy the gameplay of, because you don't really want to only play the easy/top characters. But, if you do, I can tell you in my experience I find (I main both of these) Batman and Aquaman pretty easy to learn and use. If you're interested in either of these, I might be able to give you some BnB's (bread and butter combos, your basic most useful combos) and tips later.

People also say Superman is really, really easy to use, and he's probably equal best character. But he just didn't click with me.

2) Not really sure how to answer this question, maybe someone else will help you with this. Just practice, look on the character forums, there's normally BnB's, strategies and tech there, or ask a friend on TYM who you know is good who plays the character you're interested in for some help with how to play/bnb's.

3) Not sure at the moment.

4) Well, I don't know which is better, but I can tell you that you can go fine with just a controller, and you don't need a pad, but can get one if you want.

Rodrigue

Spongerod
Hey there noobie lol,
I used to play mk1 and sf2 as well. Awesome games! I had the sega genesis when i was about 3 and these are the first games I had. Good old days :)
First of all let me say that i use a controller. Doesn't really matter once your fingers get used to it.
With that being said, i main Green Lantern and Catwoman. I picked kitty cat first but i must say that it took me longer to polish my skills with her than it did with GL. She has no projectiles and can easily be zoned out. But man you don't want to get in a close fight with that bitch lol I mean once i get close enough to my opponent, he can kiss his round goodbye lol
Let's focus on GL. Great character and very easy to use. His only downside is his speed.
He has awesome projectiles and cannot be zoned out easily.
Here's what you have to do:
-Take him to the lab and practice your basic moves. Keep in mind the best strings and the safest ones on block. Lemme give you some examples: 223 is the best on block. You can start the string with a jumping 2. It can be followed up by Lantern's Might (db1) and meter burn it for longer and more efficient combos. There is also 1223 which is also good.
- Once you get familiar with his basic moves ( lows, overheads and starters) try to link them together to perform a combo.
- You can start by putting your opponent on the lowest difficulty to practice what you've learned.
- Set your opponent to block your moves and try to figure out some ways to break his blocking.
- Now you can set him to perform a wake up attack and start practicing with that and coming up with ways to avoid getting hit. Wakeup attacks can put you through a vortex of hits which can leave you with one pixel of health remaining lol
- Resets. Once you feel good about your performance overall, you have to learn resets. Resets are basically "dropped" combos, only to surprise your opponent with another combo once he hits the ground. The damage percentage will reset back to 0, hence, way more damage! Your resets should start with overheads or lows, which leaves your opponent guessing everytime. It's called 50/50 (as in the chances he has against blocking your attack)
If you get ahold of these steps, you are an advanced player.
Personnaly, I rely on mind games. A little more tough to land though. What it means is that you can confuse your opponent with the attack while performing a reset. You go for an overhead, he tries to block it, go immediately for a low (b1 for GL) and BAM!
Rage quitters will quit. A lot of hatemails. But that's the good part. This means you're on the right track buddy :)
If you need any help with GL hit me up! And if you decided to play with kitty, I'm here too. There are awesome Catwoman players here like Under_the_mayo and ninj (sorry for missing out other CW players out there)
Oh and watch some combo tutorials on youtube.
Good luck with that mate and you know what they say: practice makes perfect ;)

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
Hey there noobie lol,
I used to play mk1 and sf2 as well. Awesome games! I had the sega genesis when i was about 3 and these are the first games I had. Good old days :)
First of all let me say that i use a controller. Doesn't really matter once your fingers get used to it.
With that being said, i main Green Lantern and Catwoman. I picked kitty cat first but i must say that it took me longer to polish my skills with her than it did with GL. She has no projectiles and can easily be zoned out. But man you don't want to get in a close fight with that bitch lol I mean once i get close enough to my opponent, he can kiss his round goodbye lol
Let's focus on GL. Great character and very easy to use. His only downside is his speed.
He has awesome projectiles and cannot be zoned out easily.
Here's what you have to do:
-Take him to the lab and practice your basic moves. Keep in mind the best strings and the safest ones on block. Lemme give you some examples: 223 is the best on block. You can start the string with a jumping 2. It can be followed up by Lantern's Might (db1) and meter burn it for longer and more efficient combos. There is also 1223 which is also good.
- Once you get familiar with his basic moves ( lows, overheads and starters) try to link them together to perform a combo.
- You can start by putting your opponent on the lowest difficulty to practice what you've learned.
- Set your opponent to block your moves and try to figure out some ways to break his blocking.
- Now you can set him to perform a wake up attack and start practicing with that and coming up with ways to avoid getting hit. Wakeup attacks can put you through a vortex of hits which can leave you with one pixel of health remaining lol
- Resets. Once you feel good about your performance overall, you have to learn resets. Resets are basically "dropped" combos, only to surprise your opponent with another combo once he hits the ground. The damage percentage will reset back to 0, hence, way more damage! Your resets should start with overheads or lows, which leaves your opponent guessing everytime. It's called 50/50 (as in the chances he has against blocking your attack)
If you get ahold of these steps, you are an advanced player.
Personnaly, I rely on mind games. A little more tough to land though. What it means is that you can confuse your opponent with the attack while performing a reset. You go for an overhead, he tries to block it, go immediately for a low (b1 for GL) and BAM!
Rage quitters will quit. A lot of hatemails. But that's the good part. This means you're in the right track buddy :)
If you need any help with GL hit me up! And if you decided to play with kitty, I'm here too. There are awesome Catwoman players here like Under_the_mayo and ninj (sorry for missing out other CW players out there)
Oh and watch some combo tutorials on youtube.
Good luck with that mate and you know what they say: practice makes perfect ;)
Hey man, I main Catwoman also.

Just wondering, what BnB's do you use with her? I like F112, BF1 MB, B3, J2, *112 DD33, or *112 Full Scratch trait if I have it.
Gets 36% with 1 bar, no trait, no jump in.

Also do you know (even though super isn't practical) any good super combos with her?

Rodrigue

Spongerod
Hey Donny,
I'll be posting a Catwoman combo tutorial soon.
That's an effective one you use. But i can pull off a 46% with no meter but a full trait.
I'll keep you posted. Will follow you here.
Oh and btw her j1 is a great starter.
I'll teach you some sick resets as soon as I can. I get a lot of messages complimenting my kitty lol ^^

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
Hey Donny,
I'll be posting a Catwoman combo tutorial soon.
That's an effective one you use. But i can pull off a 46% with no meter but a full trait.
I'll keep you posted. Will follow you here.
Oh and btw her j1 is a great starter.
I'll teach you some sick resets as soon as I can. I get a lot of messages complimenting my kitty lol ^^
Alright, awesome.
Thanks man. You can tag me or PM me when your tutorial is ready.
Yeah, her J1 is good over J2 for its hitbox, I use it to start most times.
Sweet. :)

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
Oh forgot to mention, i NEVER use her super. Not practical at all. Catwoman needs every single bar of meter burn lol
Yes I know, like I mentioned in my post.

I was just wanting to know one for screwing around. Don't worry I know supers are never a good idea - with very few exceptions, such as maybe Green Arrow's.

Rodrigue

Spongerod
Yes, green arrow relies on his super because he can link it with other moves. Same goes for Harley Quinn.
I would practice with you online sometime but i rarely can connect with aussies. Your internet is waaaay better than ours here in Lebanon. We have one of the shittiest connections on the globe. Sad but true :(

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
Yes, green arrow relies on his super because he can link it with other moves. Same goes for Harley Quinn.
I would practice with you online sometime but i rarely can connect with aussies. Your internet is waaaay better than ours here in Lebanon. We have one of the shittiest connections on the globe. Sad but true :(
Yep.
Oh that's a shame, but yeah I can barely connect with other Aussies, haha.

Also a couple of other questions about CW:
1) Do you use her evades often? I find myself never using them.
2) What low options/combos does she have? I find B1 has so little range, and often I just use her D3, but of course you can't combo off of that. Maybe J1, B1 might be a good low starter..?

Rodrigue

Spongerod
I never use her low evade lol its useless. But her high evades are good against batarangs, GL's rockets aaaand most importantly, Scorpions teleport. You have to be very careful though.
Her lows can be used in combos. I use b12d3 often. And yes j1 b1 is one of the best starters. Her 46% starts with a j2 b12d3
Lemme give you the full string. Its j2 b12d3 bf1 b3 f3 (whiff the second hit) 33 trait. There you go! Try it out and thank me later LOL
Add me on psn if u want. "spondylarthrosis" i have the EU version btw

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
I never use her low evade lol its useless. But her high evades are good against batarangs, GL's rockets aaaand most importantly, Scorpions teleport. You have to be very careful though.
Her lows can be used in combos. I use b12d3 often. And yes j1 b1 is one of the best starters. Her 46% starts with a j2 b12d3
Lemme give you the full string. Its j2 b12d3 bf1 b3 f3 (whiff the second hit) 33 trait. There you go! Try it out and thank me later LOL
Add me on psn if u want. "spondylarthrosis" i have the EU version btw
Oh okay, cool.
Awesome! I'll give it a go, thanks man. :)
Will do. =)

EDIT: Just gave it a go, very nice. Good shit man. :)

Rodrigue

Spongerod
We should open up a thread for advanced CW players. I'll do it later on today. Don't want to go off-topic here lol
But anyway this should be helpful to Awright as well, hopefully ^^

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
I tried replacing the 33-trait part with 112-dd33 to see how it'd go if I didn't have a full trait ready - pretty nice.
J2, B12D3, BF1, B3, F3, 112, DD33. 39% meterless and traitless. :)
Very nice combo you got there. Thanks again. :)

Rodrigue

Spongerod
Try 112 df1. Should do more damage. (And more kink...with the whip and shit) HAHAHA
I use the whip often. Great damage and awesome anti air if u use db1!

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
We should open up a thread for advanced CW players. I'll do it later on today. Don't want to go off-topic here lol
But anyway this should be helpful to Awright as well, hopefully ^^
Yeah, sounds like a good idea. Or just CW general discussion. Yeah, sorry Awright.

Try 112 df1. Should do more damage. (And more kink...with the whip and shit) HAHAHA
I use the whip often. Great damage and awesome anti air if u use db1!
Haha, okay I'll try. :)
Yeah, best AA CW has would you say?
Shall we take this convo to a PM or Catwoman general discussion?

Rodrigue

Spongerod
I use d2 A LOT. You can connect it with b3/f3/112 bf1/112 bf2 MB and get a full combo punish out of it! Other than that it's either db1 or dd3 2. If it isnt the whip (db1 or dd3 2), it's the heels (d2) HAHA

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
awright531

PSN or XBL?

If you're on PSN, add meh and I can teach you some fundamental stuff.

And don't listen to the Rodrigue person, half of what he wrote about GL is bad info. Wake ups are not vortexes, resets are not oki setups, 123 is a shitty string, and there's much more to the game than just "knowing his combous".

insomnia_ftw

It's simple.. We normalize the superman.
Second, Training.

Third, your opinions.
You'll definitely need to know combos before you take a character online. I would suggest learning a midscreen bnb (a combo you can do almost anywhere), and a corner combo. Corner combos are a little tougher sometimes so you don't HAVE to learn one right off the bat. Generally you can do your bnb and just improvise with it in the corner (but you will need to learn one at some point). Punishers are a bit of a pain to practice, because you'll need to know how to punish each character's attacks. Just find a combo string or a special move that has a very fast start-up, and see how easy it is to hit someone after you block one of their attacks.
As for zoning, that will only get better as you play people. You should learn the moves and be comfortable with them, obviously, but knowing when to fire against which characters is the key. Contrary to popular TYM belief, you CAN'T just spam the same move over and over and be successful. If you are playing a smart opponent, they will know or learn to get around simple zoning, so you have to learn how to mix it up.

Something I wish I knew when I first started playing? I wish I knew exactly where/what the interactables were. I wrote them off as a minor annoyance that I didn't want to participate in at first, so of course I was caught off-guard by almost all of them. Learning how to incorporate interactables into your game and how to avoid them is pretty damn important. You have to recognize when a player is moving toward an interactable, and how to punish them or dodge it.

Also, if you find that something is not punishable after you block it, remember that there are still other defensive options to consider. Killer Frost has a slide that is safe on block, so you can't just block it and then hit her afterward. To punish the slide effectively, you could jump back and hit her as she comes toward you, or you could do a MB b3 and absorb the hit of the slide then hit her with the b3. That's probably a bit of a poor example since KF's slide is pretty hard to react to unless you are far enough away, but my point is about the options you have. These punishes are based on you making a read on your opponent, and knowing that they will throw out a slide (because it's KF, you KNOW that shit is coming). Making reads is a big thing in this game, it is in any fighting game but for this one it can be the key to survival. I don't have trouble against "spammers" because I know which moves they will do, and what I need to do about it. Those players are free to me now, but making a successful read against another thinking opponent.. that shit is orgasmic.

Hope this helps a bit