What's new

This is the most frusturating game i have ever played in my entire life

TogetherLemon

Robot Blueberry
I got this game almost a week ago, after my brother recommended it to me. It is the first fighting game i have ever played seriously, and I started off playing like crap. I have gotten a lot better and i know good combos and when to use my specials and what not, and the only character i play as is Cyber Sub Zero. The problem is, I get wrecked when i play online. I have like 7 wins and 40 losses. That's not why im frustrated, im frustrated because i almost never lose to people who are better than me, I lose to people who spam teleport and button mash. I honestly feel like practicing any sort of combo is worthless if people who don't have any skill can beat me. What am i supposed to do to be better at this game, because obviously knowing combos doesn't help.

BookBurning

Voidwards
You're at a level right now where that kind of stuff can beat you. Just stick through it and continue to try and improve and you'll end up literally crushing players who attempt that sort of crap with muscle memory alone. Just don't resort to doing it yourself, be analytical about your games and ask yourself what you could have did in that situation instead.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I got this game almost a week ago, after my brother recommended it to me. It is the first fighting game i have ever played seriously, and I started off playing like crap. I have gotten a lot better and i know good combos and when to use my specials and what not, and the only character i play as is Cyber Sub Zero. The problem is, I get wrecked when i play online. I have like 7 wins and 40 losses. That's not why im frustrated, im frustrated because i almost never lose to people who are better than me, I lose to people who spam teleport and button mash. I honestly feel like practicing any sort of combo is worthless if people who don't have any skill can beat me. What am i supposed to do to be better at this game, because obviously knowing combos doesn't help.
My friend, you are preaching to the quire...lol
In all seriousness though, the first thing you should remember: what happens Online stays Online. There are some players who are lucky enough to have all the necessary tools - solid landline connections, good lagfree TV's/monitors, etc. - that they can go about business online without a lot of issues and still kick ass, but even a great deal of them and the rest of us with regular setups, wifi, whichever, end up having to deal with the psychosis that is MK Online.
Long story short, it ain't great.
It's got more problems than an industrial sized container on a shipping barge destined for Tortuga that's been stuff to the brim with problems.
And there's a lot of people out there who have no issue exploiting the FUCK out of the various assorted problems, manipulating the lag and glitches and sticking exclusively to characters whose moves are safer or more efficient Online in ways theyd NEVER be offline. Hence, you getting blown up by bullshit. Sometimes it's just the way that person happens to play and they havent really added to it yet (you'll fight one guy's "BS" one week and the next week he comes at you he gets your heart racing with the fight he can now give you), but a good deal of the time, its just milking bullshit.
Which is why when good folks like you find this place and seek answers to such questions, the answer is usually this...
If you want to learn and improve, up your game, figure out the ins and out and just genuinely get better as a fighter, and you dont have the patience for sitting through randoms, imbeciles, exploiters, shit-talkers and the like, just add your name to the respective Gamer List of your system (360 or PS30), seek out the wisdom of whomever appeals to you thatd be willing to help, which is a great, great deal of us - thats why I started adding players' fighters to the PS3 thread, just in case passers-by were looking to battle anyone specific - build up a decent repetoire and practice like a motherfucker. Itll never make you AS GOOD as if you were to find an offline scene and level up in person, but with the right people to guide you and show you how to throw down, its definitely worth the effort.
That, and drain as much knowledge as you possibly can out of the CSZ forums. The amount of stuff you can learn and figure out just by watching videos and reading up on your stats is absurd.

Welcome to the party, Mr. Lemon. Best of luck is mastering your robot blueberry :D.

One thing I never utilized until late in my MK timeline is using low pokes to escape pressure. I played mostly SZ back in the day, and that ice clone helped keep scrubs at bay. When you're getting rushed down though, you need to know when to get out. As CSZ, once you see the opportunity, D3 or parry. Parry has like 2 frames of start up, I've never seen anyone snuff it out. Trust me, use parry and D3 more and you'll start getting hate mail.

Watch some game play of other players. I find myself a visual learner and I have a hard time picking up a character without seeing someone else play that character really well.

Im not gonna discuss cyber's game play because obviously i dont play him. But if you are the first time playing this as a fighting game then this is gonna be hard for you. But keep at it and you will be better only if you would ask yourself "ok this guy has some fucked up shit, how do i counter that fuckness with my character?". If you are keep making excuses for "spammers" then you wont get better at all because you will keep viewing spamming as cheap while it is not, the more you care about record the worst you will be. Always do rematches for those who blow you up, this is how you learn. Pay attention to patterns and adapt.

TogetherLemon

Robot Blueberry
Thanks for all the responses guys, except mr mileena you can go to hell. lol jk jk
I think I will try to stick with cyber sub, even though I hear from people that he isn't very good. I have good connection, I used wireless but I switched to wired and it decreased the lag massively. I guess I should just try to play with really good people and improve. I constantly see people with 1500 some wins and like 400 losses and it just makes me really aggravated. I should probably also analyze my losses more, but the problem is I don't really know how! When scorpion has me trapped in a corner and is spamming 1,1,1 I try to time a slide or leg sweep when it is safe, but either i have really bad timing or due to lag i can never do it before his 1,1,1 combo starts back up again.

Thanks for all the responses guys, except mr mileena you can go to hell. lol jk jk
I think I will try to stick with cyber sub, even though I hear from people that he isn't very good. I have good connection, I used wireless but I switched to wired and it decreased the lag massively. I guess I should just try to play with really good people and improve. I constantly see people with 1500 some wins and like 400 losses and it just makes me really aggravated. I should probably also analyze my losses more, but the problem is I don't really know how! When scorpion has me trapped in a corner and is spamming 1,1,1 I try to time a slide or leg sweep when it is safe, but either i have really bad timing or due to lag i can never do it before his 1,1,1 combo starts back up again.
I'm telling you man, you gotta use D3 or parry to escape pressure. I was in a situation like you and I disregarded low pokes cuz they gave such shit damage. Being able to escape pressure is important though and low pokes will do just that. You can't escape pressure using slide or sweep. Parry is your best friend against people who spam those strings or teleports. Seriously dude, spam parry against scrubby scorpions who spam 111.

People with good records are usually noob hunters. A person's record means nothing, except maybe experience.

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
Hehe...this post reminded me of the first few weeks, even months of my thoughts playing online.
What I say is gold for you now if you still play and I hope you do.
Learn your characters combos, options, tricks, mixups, whatever, but learn every other characters combos and stuff too.
Go into practice mode with them, look around the forums for characters, play with them for a while.
If you don't know exactly what to counter then how do you do it? Mabye luck. But it's not enough.
After a while you will start to have those glorious moments when you think: "I know what you are up to next, what you can do. And this will beat it...bitch."
If later you will compete against higher level players this will be the upper hand, and your mindgames, but you will get into it with time.
But really if you practice you will be able defeat those scrubs with two buttons, the block and an attack button of your choice. Directionals maybe, but not always needed. :D

Ravox

Winter is Coming...
Play at TYM rooms, or add some people you think play nice. Have good players in your list.

SLy

Noob
This is something all online players have encountered one time or another. The only way to play randomness like this is to make good reads which you know through experience and punishing them for it accordingly.

When you fight people who have play like this its not going to come down to "Combos" in fact combos needs to be the least of worries for now.

First things first Is to know your Character in General. Know all of his tools ( How to use them offensively and both Defensively ). Know what you can do under pressure and what you cant or might not want to do when getting pressured ( Same goes for offensive play). When your aware of how to stop the BS thats when your going to start loving this game. People who teleport recklessly is asking for an ass whiping. Your best option against that is to play defensively. Bait their teleports. When you get a good read on when its coming then just block. Now how you punish those teleports is going to decide the game for you. My advice for that is every punish you do Make That Shit Hurt to your best ability. The more you punishes hurt the more likely he will think twice before throwing it out and if he doesnt then he will lose.

Im no cyber sub player but I do know he has tools to stop predictable button mashers such as his parry. Im pretty sure other Cyber sub zero players will tell you better on how to stop button mashers.

Your at a Stage right now where you beginning to explore your character more and this is the most frustrating phase when playing this game to tell you the truth.( Especially against the bad ones lol.)

if you're playing on playstation, go to thewharf. seriously lol, get a mic too, and this game'll be the shit.

if you're on xbox, damn. i can't even play mk9 on my xbox controller.

but teleports are easy to read, unless you can't block in time you shouldn't even be getting him by them. you play as CSZ so whore that parry. remember, "spamming" is a salt made myth.

Big Frog

Noob
The Wharf accepts all shapes and sizes. Preferably with good skin and a tight bum. The seaman welcome you with open dinghys.

I know exactly how you feel, I've been playing Skyrim and mk/sf offline with friends but on Tuesday I decided to play a few games of mk online instead. Long story short I took it out after about the third game and put Skyrim back in. It was so laggy the first game I couldnt punish scorpions teleport. The best way to play this game is offline with friends, online only makes me angry.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
People will abuse tools that you haven't figured out how to defend against yet. And there are many right now. My friend just constantly jumps at his brother because his brother doesn't know how to punish him for it. But when he fights me, he knows to stay grounded because he'll die for jumping so much. You're like that. It's gonna take a long time.

Stop playing online, and don't start with Cyber Sub Zero.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Like everyone here says, just stick it out and practice. There a few stages you're going to go through:

1) Complete noob, lose to everybody, except...
2) Start learning the game, actually get worse than being a noob because you're trying to play the game properly and the noobs are spamming,
3) Get a little better, now you can beat all the scrubs and beat a few people better than you
4) Become a "good" player, this is probably the place most of us plateau.

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
For online you need to fight a character that matches your play style and that has the most tools to deal with:

1. jump ins
2. cross overs
3. knockdown pressure, so you want a good wake up here
4. teleport punish combo, at least 20% dmg
5. projectile spam

So basically, first figure out if you prefer to zone or rush down, or a bit of both. Then look at the characters who fit that play style and check their tools. Out of the five things above, choose the character that deals best with the shit you find the most annoying and most of the online BS will fade away.

Some quick tips...

Against:

#1, maintain jump in distance and walk back on any jump in attempt.. they will miss their attack.
#2, neutral jump punch
#3, tech roll or press down and block if you have no good wake up
#4, when in doubt uppercut
#5, dash block to jump distance, this will make them think twice about projectile spam since you can jump in on them if they try to throw something at you. If they try to jump at you, refer to #1.

Hope this helps. IMO take a basic character and practice these 5 elements. It kills most of the online BS.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Like everyone here says, just stick it out and practice. There a few stages you're going to go through:

1) Complete noob, lose to everybody, except...
2) Start learning the game, actually get worse than being a noob because you're trying to play the game properly and the noobs are spamming,
3) Get a little better, now you can beat all the scrubs and beat a few people better than you
4) Become a "good" player, this is probably the place most of us plateau.
This, 100%. I got stuck at 2 for a while then I've recently re evaluated my play style and am creeping up on 3 pretty quick °_° just keep at and most of all learn! And use that stuff, don't just go on auto pilot fishing for combos.

Sent from Somewhere to Somewhere Else

TogetherLemon

Robot Blueberry
People will abuse tools that you haven't figured out how to defend against yet. And there are many right now. My friend just constantly jumps at his brother because his brother doesn't know how to punish him for it. But when he fights me, he knows to stay grounded because he'll die for jumping so much. You're like that. It's gonna take a long time.

Stop playing online, and don't start with Cyber Sub Zero.
If i don't play online then who am i gonna play against? Fighting the AI doesn't really give the same experience as fighting a real person.

RoGE

Noob
Online play in general is frustrating, people don't realize how big of a difference even one frame of delay can make in a fighting game. So many things change.

Don't take online seriously.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
http://youtu.be/qQ6Ov9Z9Rt0?t=25s

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
If i don't play online then who am i gonna play against? Fighting the AI doesn't really give the same experience as fighting a real person.
I don't know man. Make some friends. I live in the butthole of mexico and online isn't even an option for me. I went out and actively searched for local players, and now I have a team of 8 players. The practice with them combined with studying things here on the forums and communication has made me the player I am today. You can find it if you look.