What's new

Things that need fixing in MKAK - Use this thread ONLY

glad I didnt buy this one. Personally, I am tired of NRS ripping people off. First with a broken MK9 (which they will never fix the online) then with all the DLC at 5 bucks a pop with broken capability packs. Now they release an older game and they have problems right off the bat. Now. I love the MK series, but I wish they would do some testing and make sure this shit works before they just send it out. MK9 is already going into, what like patch 5 already. All the patches have been mostly for character re balancing too. They know they have online issues and refuse to attempt to fix it. Hell, they didnt even fix the button mapping problems for MK9. Hopefully they will get their act together and fix all of these problems.

shano

Noob
Still wont be buying this game in till i see the patch list and if it fixes most of the problems that have been posted in this thread then i will buy it.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Problems aside, I plan on buying this for offline tournaments... But there is one question I want to know, in UMK3 do the hiddens stay unlocked?

Tim Static

Adminerator
Problems aside, I plan on buying this for offline tournaments... But there is one question I want to know, in UMK3 do the hiddens stay unlocked?
YES SIR!!! I tested it multiple times by turning off the game a number of different ways, but the hiddens stayed.

One of the dumb things that UMK3 XBLA (2006) did (other than the button config) was that it used the same saved game for online and offline, but there were so many ways that it would reset your unlocked characters when playing online. This time around in MKAK by default it automatically has the characters unlocked in the online mode so the unlocks offline aren't tied to the online mode anymore.

Also one thing that UMK3 XBLA did right over MKAK was that they adjusted the brightness/contrast/gamma of the image to closer emulate the look on an arcade CRT. MKAK basically just outputs the image verbatim (similar to mame) but it doesn't look right because you can notice theres a lot of greys and blacks on the screen that don't blend well and you get the look of a washed out image. In fact if you compare the MK3 and UMK3 characters you can tell that they were filmed at different times as the blacks in the MK3 characters are all grey and on UMK3 characters the blacks are actually black. On an arcade CRT the blacks would be crushed so it would look right.

NoDoubt

nasty
One of the dumb things that UMK3 XBLA (2006) did (other than the button config) was that it used the same saved game for online and offline, but there were so many ways that it would reset your unlocked characters when playing online. This time around in MKAK by default it automatically has the characters unlocked in the online mode so the unlocks offline aren't tied to the online mode anymore.

Also one thing that UMK3 XBLA did right over MKAK was that they adjusted the brightness/contrast/gamma of the image to closer emulate the look on an arcade CRT. MKAK basically just outputs the image verbatim (similar to mame) but it doesn't look right because you can notice theres a lot of greys and blacks on the screen that don't blend well and you get the look of a washed out image. In fact if you compare the MK3 and UMK3 characters you can tell that they were filmed at different times as the blacks in the MK3 characters are all grey and on UMK3 characters the blacks are actually black. On an arcade CRT the blacks would be crushed so it would look right.
yea...i cant fuckin stand the graphics on this AK. Its downright ugly and looks unprofessional. Everytime I play umk3 on 2006 port I almost cry cuz the visuals are much better.

I just discovered HLSL - a filter which emulates the look of a CRT. Looks 1000% better than the piss poor cabinet mode they put in the game. I guess to be fair its relatively new (sadly I can't get it working on either of my PCs with nVidia GPUs-- I suspect it may only work with Radeons currently), but its easily the best CRT filter ever made: http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/bcrt2000/MK2_HLSL.jpg

I'd think I've died and gone to heaven if this ever made it in a version of MK with online support that actually works.

Isn't HLSL (high level shader language) just a language? What are you using this with, Mame?
Yeah, I believe its a shader that was written by the mame UI people and its been in there in the last few versions, and they refer to it as the HLSL filter. Its probably why it has some compatibility issues currently as its not just a simple CPU-based filter; I've also heard that the latest build is just outright broken in terms of HLSL which may be why I couldn't get it to work. I saw this over on this thread: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=255547&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I posted this over on ClassicMK, now I'm posting it here...

One of things that should happen with this patch is that every single player should have their scores wiped and returned to the base 1200. Once that's done, institute penalties for cheating, dropping, pulling, etc. With the ELO system, the most you can drop is 25 points, so 25 points per infraction. Another thing they should do is include a report button which allows you to report a suspected cheater. This feature is included in most FPS and should definitely be included in any game that has a ranking system. Players who are reported and caught should be banned from online play. That will fix everything in terms of the ethics.

Overall sound mixing is really bad.
Music tracks or FX cut each other off.

MK1:

When the Announcer says "wins" it sometimes gets cut off.

MK2:

Sub-Zero's iceball in MK2, the sound is choppy.

Warplay

Noob
glad I didnt buy this one. Personally, I am tired of NRS ripping people off. First with a broken MK9 (which they will never fix the online) then with all the DLC at 5 bucks a pop with broken capability packs. Now they release an older game and they have problems right off the bat. Now. I love the MK series, but I wish they would do some testing and make sure this shit works before they just send it out. MK9 is already going into, what like patch 5 already. All the patches have been mostly for character re balancing too. They know they have online issues and refuse to attempt to fix it. Hell, they didnt even fix the button mapping problems for MK9. Hopefully they will get their act together and fix all of these problems.
Same here. I didn't buy it, and my decision is looking very good. I knew NRS would have a boat load of issues with this, their track record has been terrible when it comes to releasing properly tested products(amoung other things).

Another reason I didn't want it is because MK 1, 2, and 3 were the thing in the 90's, and I played the life out of those games long, long ago. I honestly even prefer the fighting engine now over those, I'm sure most do.

I hope NRS makes this right for all those who bought it. BS how there's always game breaking problems with these guys. Such a shame because MK is so badass.

mesk

Noob
Has this game been patched yet? I was really looking forward to playing more then the 5 or so ppl that use MAMEhub.I dont want to complain but cmon! WTF........

it doesn't sound choppy. It sounds TWICE jaajajaj that's lame, man. How could they fuck up with the sounds??
Theres a lot of sounds that have been changed. It could just be me but I swear I can hear breaks between looping parts of music as well-- notably in the MK2 select screen.

Same here. I didn't buy it, and my decision is looking very good. I knew NRS would have a boat load of issues with this, their track record has been terrible when it comes to releasing properly tested products(amoung other things).
I wouldn't put MK9's 5 patches in a negative light if thats what you're referring to. Back in the arcade days, the way games were balanced was basically via patches, or back then, "Revisions". During the PS2 era it was impossible for them to release games without problems because those games weren't put through the ringer in the arcades like Capcom's games always have been.

NRS' biggest problem is that they sometimes are out of tune with their fans. For whatever reason they thought that they could just outsource quick port of the old games without giving it any attention because the fans wouldn't care these ports. Maybe they were thinking that long time fans already own these games 5 times over or something. Boon in general is a guy who is always looking to the future to do new things. Which is good in a way, but they need someone there to counterbalance that-- someone who is looking to curate the old stuff and give it the love and care it deserves.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Yeah, even the kredits music is not the same in mk1 & 2. They "mixed" the victory tune with the kredits normal loop and it sounds awful jajaja

A nice touch though, is when you unlock the hidden chars in umk3, in the first seconds you can hear the wind blowing. That wasn't like that in the arcade. There's a bunch of sounds stuff that is different now.

angel

Noob
I've just come across a Liu Kang player who could do the bicycle kick constantly, with no delay..and i mean constantly. I reported him..is this a known issue? 360 version by the way.

aj1701

Noob
I've just come across a Liu Kang player who could do the bicycle kick constantly, with no delay..and i mean constantly. I reported him..is this a known issue? 360 version by the way.
MK2 right? You can do that... you charge the move, and then let go. As soon as he starts you hit the button to start charging it again.

Tim Static

Adminerator
MK2 right? You can do that... you charge the move, and then let go. As soon as he starts you hit the button to start charging it again.
Works with Jax's ground pound, Liu's bike kick and Mileena's sais, altho the sai's dont quite work like the other 2 do when done this way.

I've seen it in this video of someone playing MK2 on Kaillera...

angel

Noob
oh..it was absolutely instant, i was just ducking while he flew over me without any pause..is this just this port or every version?

[edit] just seen video - ah, well thats a new one on me. wow

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
I'm not sure that's a glitch, at least not exclusive to this port. I'm not an MK2 player but I know you can do that on UMK3. Konqrr (I think) showed me that a while back.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Multi bicycle kick is not a glitch. It's doable, same with Jax MGP and Mileena sai spam.