What's new

Things I wish stayed in Mortal Kombat

No offense meant to any of you, but think about how much of a minority you guys are in comparison to the game's general audience. Most of us here have been playing these games since we were kids, we've studied them inside and out, and the fact of the matter is: this game was not meant to JUST be for MK fans. I think they do enough of a good job catering to the nostalgia factor as it is; every (decent) character from the original trilogy, pretty much every stage, classic music... You simply cannot say that they didn't try. As much as I love MK2 and UMK3, I don't want to play those games again. If they had released either of those with a reskin and called it MK9, I don't think it would be half as successful in the tournament scene as it has been. Does the engine have problems? Obviously. Is it a truly balanced game? Absolutely not. It has flaws. But the fact that you have renowned STREET FIGHTER players like Justin Wong and Sabin and fucking TOKIDO playing this game and praising it speaks volumes. This is the first time in history we have Japanese players competing in MK at major tournaments, just that fact alone really gets me excited about the future for the series.

I'm not going to judge any of you for disliking the game. I have a lot of problems with it at a fundamental level. However, it is wrong to debase it simply because it doesn't grant every fanboy wish that you guys have for it. I think that if you guys look at it as its own game and not as just a throwback to the classics, you'll enjoy it more.

David Gem

Banned
ZAQ said:
No I just mean exactly what I said. If you guys collectively want something specific. Write something up in a manner that is professional enough to address the developers and show them why it is a good idea for them to create it.
But Zaq, I'm not the guy for that. Anyone who would go to that site to get things changed most likely really likes the game. That's not the case for me. So your suggestion was doesn't fit with my situation, hence the misunderstanding.

X820

Noob
Ninjagrinder, it's not that anyone is picking on you for no reason. It's that you have of history of hinting at your view on things as beeing the truth, while in fact they are only you view. People with more insight on matters like you have adressed could get rubbed the wrong way.

ninjalord said:
"They have proven that they don't know how to make a fucking fighting game."--tom brady on WNF.
LOL he said that?

@ Davey:

I speak for myself when I say that what I would liked for this game has nothing to do with beeing a fanboy. In fact MK9 has loads of features aimed at fanboys. Story mode, costumes, fatalities etc. I do not care for all of that. What I want is a top notch fighting game, wich MK9 is not. Personally I have a feeling it will never be.
I always dislike the fact that people always get exited saying; well Justin Wong is playing it !
Yeah so what ?
Is MK9 now this mega awesome fighting game, is it up there with Street Fighter?
No it's not, at all.
What that means is there is cash to be made at the moment playing that game, nothing more.
Look at SSF4 AE edition, that game has everything and I do mean everything.
If it's impossible for NRS to make a complete game like that, then they should never have said that that is what they were going to release, beeing it patched or not.

my 2cts.

I speak for myself when I say that what I would liked for this game has nothing to do with beeing a fanboy. In fact MK9 has loads of features aimed at fanboys. Story mode, costumes, fatalities etc. I do not care for all of that. What I want is a top notch fighting game, wich MK9 is not. Personally I have a feeling it will never be.
I always dislike the fact that people always get exited saying; well Justin Wong is playing it !
Yeah so what ?
Is MK9 now this mega awesome fighting game, is it up there with Street Fighter?
No it's not, at all.
What that means is there is cash to be made at the moment playing that game, nothing more.
Look at SSF4 AE edition, that game has everything and I do mean everything.
If it's impossible for NRS to make a complete game like that, then they should never have said that that is what they were going to release, beeing it patched or not.
I understand what you mean about cash to be made, that is obviously true, but there has been pretty widespread acclaim across most of the SF pros about MK9. Justin himself stated on his twitter that he enjoyed the game immensely, and Tokido is apparently going to be putting in a lot of time in it as well according to his blog. I doubt they would be praising the game this way if it was just another game they played for money. Obviously they have problems with the game, but most of them have problems with Street Fighter and Marvel too. No game is perfect. It is just nice to see players from other games/countries branching out and finally starting to take MK seriously as a competitive fighter, that's all.

I agree with you about AE being complete, but you have to remember that vanilla SF4 came out in 2008, and AE is hardly any more balanced than MK9 is now, and the only feature I would rank above MK9's is the online mode/replays.

I'm not trying to be a douche or start a flame war or anything retarded like that. I'm just saying that NRS is doing something right as evidenced by just how many people are playing and enjoying this game. Like I said, if you don't like the game that is your opinion and I respect it. I just don't agree with it.

David Gem

Banned
Davey_8000 said:
No offense meant to any of you, but think about how much of a minority you guys are in comparison to the game's general audience.
Well think about that? I hate to keep comparing, but can the same be said for SF? Think about the kind of impact their players have in comparison to the "general audience." Doesn't that disturb anyone?

I might be incredibly subjective in this topic: my background is in MK2, the best MK imo, and if not for a few people, it would be non-existent in tournaments. I'm constantly reminded about how most of the people that stick by the ORIGINAL MKs aren't taken seriously at all in fighting games.

David Gem said:
Well think about that? I hate to keep comparing, but can the same be said for SF? Think about the kind of impact their players have in comparison to the "general audience." Doesn't that disturb anyone?

I might be incredibly subjective in this topic: my background is in MK2, the best MK imo, and if not for a few people, it would be non-existent in tournaments. I'm constantly reminded about how most of the people that stick by the ORIGINAL MKs aren't taken seriously at all in fighting games.
Of course it's disturbing, but the history of MK and the history of SF are a lot different. Go to a fighting game tournament and ask someone if they have like/play Super Turbo. Most of them will say yes. Then ask if they like/play MK2. Most will be like "lol wut". As shitty as it is, MK has never really been respected competitively until now. The impact of SF players on the actual game is going to be a lot bigger because the actual competitive scene is a lot bigger. MK was never designed to be played on this level until now, Ed Boon himself admits that.

I'm trying to be as unbiased here as possible because I love MK2 as well. It's just a majority of the fighting game community disagrees that it's a good game.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
My opinion is that the people that will know what a good MK game is, are the people that have played MK the longest and have the most experience... not SF players, not Ed Boon, and not excited kids who haven't played anything outside of Halo or COD.

That being said, I value and am actually encouraged to hear of renown players from other games when they praise MK9. But if it comes down to "MK9 is only good now because it's finally mainstream again"... that's seriously a joke. Look how UMK3 has been looked at for about ten plus years by outsiders and tell me that what's arguably the best fighting game ever was always respected like it should have been.

A lot of you are brainwashed by marketing and the other lot of you are clinging to stupid things like golden punches. I feel like I'm stuck in the middle somewhere as someone that just enjoys the game because it's fun... lol

btbb99

Noob
Dreamcatcher said:
My opinion is that the people that will know what a good MK game is, are the people that have played MK the longest and have the most experience... not SF players, not Ed Boon, and not excited kids who haven't played anything outside of Halo or COD.

this might be the best couple lines i ever read on the site... that being said, i agree with you that mk9 is a "fun" game to play and i do play it to kill time but it's just not a game i could ever see myself taking seriously, doesn't feel like " old school mk " in the least imo... I knew not to expect much from the game when i ask "shock" (who tested the game and knows as much about mk as anybody) what he rated the game from 1 to 10 and he said 6

X820

Noob
Davey_8000 said:
and AE is hardly any more balanced than MK9 is now, and the only feature I would rank above MK9's is the online mode/replays.
Source?

SF4 is way more balanced and complete then MK9 is now, that's a fact.

Davey_8000 said:
I'm not trying to be a douche or start a flame war or anything retarded like that. I'm just saying that NRS is doing something right as evidenced by just how many people are playing and enjoying this game. Like I said, if you don't like the game that is your opinion and I respect it. I just don't agree with it.
Oh no, people can have all kinds of oppinions and that's fine, I respect that :)
The thing that rubs me the wrong way is people saying justing wong for instance plays it or praise it, therefor it is a good (tournament worthy) game. While all that means is that he plays mk9, nothing more.
I think it's ridiculous that MK is unable to stand on it's own 2 feet simply because it lacks on many fronts.
In the end Justing Wong's will disappear and the hype will wear off, ask yourself if you will be left with a godlike game and the respect MK deserves or will we be left speculating and hyping air catles once again once MK10 is announced, leaving MK9 for what it is, a half decent game.

X820

Noob
ZAQ said:
Any they don't speak up, so they have no opinion.

The players say they want patches. NRS patches the game and people complain.
NRS says they are listening to the players, yet none of the MK players are talking.

What choice do they have?

Do you people understand what I am trying to tell you yet? Or should I just give up on you all, like you've given up trying to support the cause.
I do not think people have chosen to give up ZaQ.
In case it did not came through in my posts, I really want MK9 to matter at the level in wich it is intended to do so regardless of me not liking it the way I wish I would.
It seems that they have been lazy upon release and now that they are trying to fix things they are really taking their time for whatever reason, beeing it valid reasons or no.
Tournament players and frame scientist have to deal with mayor flaws in the middle of the tournament season and it bothers a lot of people that it damages the game, it's reputation and it's supporters.

A lot of things are way overdue, other things shouldn't be there to begin with, not when MK9 is supposed to be commited into beeing a great fighter that is up there with the best.

X820 said:
Source?

SF4 is way more balanced and complete then MK9 is now, that's a fact.
The only source I have is from top players we met at CEO. According to most of them the twins completely dominate that game and Capcom nerfed many characters way too hard. I trust their word more than most because they study this game harder than anyone. AE is still immature so who knows what they'll find later though.

I understand where you are coming from and your disappointment, but I think you have unrealistic expectations. Maybe NRS did hype up their game too much, and maybe they didn't deliver on all fronts but I give them a lot of fucking kudos for making this much of a step forward in making MK something more than a running joke. Hopefully we will all be satisfied with MK10.

X820

Noob
ZAQ said:
Then those people are weak as fuck if that's all they have.

None of you deserve a good game then. Let the serious players that actually care, have it.
Sit on your asses and wait for the next game to come out so you can complain about it no matter the effort, no matter the final product.
This confirms that NRS is unable to make a game on it's own the way MK9 is intended to turn out.
Calling people weak because they have not indepth knowledge or are able to put things in words, like for instance you can is just plain wrong.

Since when do you have to be an expert to like or dislike anything.
You did not liked BlazBlue and you havent played that enough to give out expert commentary on it.
By your logic you shouldn't be able to dislike it.

You are discrediting people from your point of view as a semi-game designer wich isn't fair to people who are just "players".
People are complaining all over the internet because they have been let down, how is that not a reason after all these years.

Besides, the players that are on the frontline of mk9 like Tom Brady and the likes have their complaints aswell, are you telling me they are weak and should shut up aswell?

I can't stress enough that while it's great that communities are beeing heard, it's really sad if the future of Mortal Kombat is dependant on forum oppinions.

I for one dislike the MKDC feel/elements or w/e you want to call it, how is me ranting or suggesting things that are never going to happen going to make me like the game more.

Things will get better for MK9, there is no doubt in my mind about that, I'll most probably still will not enjoy it as much as I would like to. There are too many things rubbing me the wrong way about it.

X820

Noob
Davey_8000 said:
The only source I have is from top players we met at CEO. According to most of them the twins completely dominate that game and Capcom nerfed many characters way too hard. I trust their word more than most because they study this game harder than anyone. AE is still immature so who knows what they'll find later though.
That doesn't tell me anything about MK9 though. I'm generally not in favour of nerfs unless it's something stupid like Kabal's dash in UMK3.
AE is a new game and people get jumpy around Yun players because he is so unpredictable, on yesterday's stream I've seen some good Yun whoopings though. I'm pretty sure tactics will evolve, if not Capcom will fix it no doubt. Besides, you name me one fighting game in wich the top 3 or 4 characters depending on the roster do not dominate the game.

Davey_8000 said:
I understand where you are coming from and your disappointment, but I think you have unrealistic expectations. Maybe NRS did hype up their game too much, and maybe they didn't deliver on all fronts but I give them a lot of fucking kudos for making this much of a step forward in making MK something more than a running joke. Hopefully we will all be satisfied with MK10.
Well my personal view on things are that in general you can't keep sugar coating fuckups and keep up the wishfull thinking. Mk9, Mk10, MK15 ? come on.

If NRS is unable to walk the walk they should look for resources (other developers) that can do the job.
Imo forum wisdom (wich always goes hand in hand with alot of fanboy none sense) is not the way to go.
Players SHOULD be heard but we need experienced experts to make it happen.

Edit:

I have said my piece now pretty muc, as I am starting to repeat myself over and over.

In the end it is what it is.

X820

Noob
ZAQ said:
Gee, would you care to expand on this ;)
Sure.

ZAQ said:
I don't like the feel of BlazBlue MK9 and it's not my game
Done.

Not my job, too bad go to a SF forum?

Are you fucking kidding me.

You can holler all you want about it beeing OUR job or our responsibility while in the end of the day it's bullshit. Beeing heard is just what that is eventually, the game would have been different from what it is right now otherwise, you don't think?
Besides me not liking the game as much doesn't mean I do not care about MK as a whole, but I guess you might feel different about that considering you have to have this developers dream to even have a voice around here.

*off to Shoryuken.

Well my personal view on things are that in general you can't keep sugar coating fuckups and keep up the wishfull thinking. Mk9, Mk10, MK15 ? come on.
wat

Say a kid gets straight F's all through elementary school. Then he gets to high school, and starts getting B's. That little motherfucker, how DARE he not get straight A's? That's what most of this shit sounds like. Even a fucking enormous increase of game quality I.E. Armageddon to MK9 isn't enough to restore your faith? I don't get it. It literally boggles my mind.

Anyway, lol forum arguments. I'm peacing out before I die of a sodium overdose. I love you all but you motherfuckers seem impossible to please.

btbb99

Noob
i remember shock telling me when he was out testing the game that ed boon himself asked the "testers" if they had any thing they wanted to add and shock brought up some things he thought either should be or shouldn't be in the game and he said "boon looked at him like he was crazy" and boon obviously knew shock was running mk2 and umk3 tournaments for years, that's why he was chosen to be there in the first place. my point is, in the end boon and his boys are going to do whatever the fuck they want, if the "old school players" like it or not.. i think he thinks there isn't that many of us " old school players" so he really doesn't give a fuck what we think

btbb99 said:
i remember shock telling me when he was out testing the game that ed boon himself asked the "testers" if they had any thing they wanted to add and shock brought up some things he thought either should be or shouldn't be in the game and he said "boon looked at him like he was crazy" and boon obviously knew shock was running mk2 and umk3 tournaments for years, that's why he was chosen to be there in the first place. my point is, in the end boon and his boys are going to do whatever the fuck they want, if the "old school players" like it or not.. i think he thinks there isn't that many of us " old school players" so he really doesn't give a fuck what we think
Maybe it's just me, but I think this MK is one of the best video games I've ever played. And the number one reason why is because it's different enough to be both easily accessible to newcomers and technical enough for tournament players. The last game able to pull that off was Virtua Fighter, which unfortunately doesn't have the cult following MK has here in the states.

But the fact alone that guys who've never played it before can pick this up and have a blast makes me love it. Is it like the previous MK's? No, but does it do the MK name justice? Absolutely.

TerryMasters said:
But the fact alone that guys who've never played it before can pick this up and have a blast makes me love it. Is it like the previous MK's? No, but does it do the MK name justice? Absolutely.
Fucking A.

I brought my Playstation up when I visited my girlfriend a few weeks back. Her roommates and she had a mini ladies only scrub league...and not a single special move was performed (though the winning controller was anxiously fumbled to me for a quick fatality). These same women would have rolled their eyes if I whipped out SFII or Tekken, but MK9 was accessible enough for them to mash around and have a killer time...while still having enough depth for me (and the like-minded dedicated gamers) to work on elaborate combos and such.

No one wins in these arguments especially that netherrealm or the gran daddy, ed boon will never listen to us. Dude looks pissed off every time I see the guy. He hasn't been happy since the old school MKs when it was gold. Plus, how many Mortal Kombat games have there been after Trilogy? We had our feed with 3D MK fighting games IE. Gold, deception, armageddon, special forces etc. And we got spoon fed with MKvsDC thereafter? And now we get a 2D fighting game with some elements of MKvsDC in there. No one is 100% displeased. I think the point of this thread was what we ALL wished stayed in MK (2011) or wish they added. I hope no one thought I was bashing it. ::) lol

David Gem

Banned
Rain.Dog505 said:
Fucking A.

I brought my Playstation up when I visited my girlfriend a few weeks back. Her roommates and she had a mini ladies only scrub league...and not a single special move was performed (though the winning controller was anxiously fumbled to me for a quick fatality). These same women would have rolled their eyes if I whipped out SFII or Tekken, but MK9 was accessible enough for them to mash around and have a killer time...while still having enough depth for me (and the like-minded dedicated gamers) to work on elaborate combos and such.
I can say the same thing for when I played it for two whole months. Then I took a week off and came back to a lot of broken bullshit. Hell rockband is fun as hell on easy- medium if you're just starting, after a while when you switch to expert, you realize it may not be for you. That's kind of been the point of what I was saying this entire time.

Pikachu

I Pikachu while you shower.
Okey I read through the thread and boy oh boy guys. Alot of you guys are complaning about the wierdest stuff. I honestly think that you havent even learned the game and you are shitting all over it. If youre getting bodied by a total noob in it then its obvious that you dont know what youre doing in the game either. And jab pressure alot of characters got great preassure. If you want it play just like mk2 then play mk2. NRS cares alot about the game. Its not like they are makeing money by patching it do you guys know how much it costs just to realse one? Half of you guys are stuck in this stupid mk2/mk3 loop. And it shows the whole MKDC thing did you guys play it? Its not even close to it totally different ballpark.
Learn the game its great its new and it works. Dont go I dont like it because *vague non descriptive reason* If youre gonna complain about how the game plays at least learn how to play before judgeing it. Dont go yeah I know His/Her bnb now this game feels *not what I hoped it would feel like* I cant stress this enough learn it play study it.

Also half you guys needs reads Zaq's posts again you are CLEARLY missing the point hes trying to make!

PZ

Larz said:
Okey I read through the thread and boy oh boy guys. Alot of you guys are complaning about the wierdest stuff. I honestly think that you havent even learned the game and you are shitting all over it. If youre getting bodied by a total noob in it then its obvious that you dont know what youre doing in the game either. And jab pressure alot of characters got great preassure. If you want it play just like mk2 then play mk2. NRS cares alot about the game. Its not like they are makeing money by patching it do you guys know how much it costs just to realse one? Half of you guys are stuck in this stupid mk2/mk3 loop. And it shows the whole MKDC thing did you guys play it? Its not even close to it totally different ballpark.
Learn the game its great its new and it works. Dont go I dont like it because *vague non descriptive reason* If youre gonna complain about how the game plays at least learn how to play before judgeing it. Dont go yeah I know His/Her bnb now this game feels *not what I hoped it would feel like* I cant stress this enough learn it play study it.

Also half you guys needs reads Zaq's posts again you are CLEARLY missing the point hes trying to make!

PZ
I agree with you that it is a fantastic game! However, I do miss the jab pressure like you had in the earlier MK's (but that's what you have JC for!!). I had been playing in a lot of the lobbies like "hell," "Netherrealm" etc...until the other night. I went into the TYM and MKU lobbies which I didn't even know existed. And holy shit, you guys really need to play some skilled fighters and maybe your opinion will change. I think I'm just above average and I was getting bodied, hard. I loved every minute of it. It gave me a new perspective on the game. I was lucky enough to play and make friends with some offline players who I've been watching on the tourny streams. Search out some of those players, don't even think about other MK's and enjoy the game!

Larz said:

PZ
Seems some people don't get the point of this thread. What is it about some of you talking shit about us that think we are the ones talking shit?

This is just things we wish stayed in MK9. THAT IS ALL. :)