What's new

There Is A Huge Chance That We Might See Sonya and Johnny Cage in MKX

So far, we've seen ALL the returning characters get very different move sets. So many specials and normals that they haven't had in any other game. There is no reason to think that both Sonya and Johnny couldn't have completely redesigned move sets/specials as well. Plus, Cassie doesn't have the exact moves of Sonya/Johnny, but variations of them. I would be happy to welcome redesigned Sonya and Johnny, and look forward to their story implications. It would be a huge missed-opportunity (story-wise) if one or both aren't included.
Absolutely. MK9 has way different movesets to the previous games, for a start. :p And really, Cassie doesn't look that similar, gameplay-wise, to either Johnny or Sonya, really.

That said, I'll still be more than a little surprised if Johnny and Sonya are playable.

Subby Z

Noob
I cannot even begin to imagine anything on Earth that could possibly be stupider on the part of a developer than to create a hybridization character who essentially combines two others and then proceed to still waste character slots on those other two who were combined. Sonya and Cage are a definite for the story but absolutely under no circumstances whatsoever cannot also be on the playable roster, or I will fucking fatality myself.
I'm glad to see that other people share my thoughts on this matter. Storymode for the two of them? Fine, in fact I expect it. Taking up two character slots over other more interesting trilogy characters? Yeah, fuck that.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I personally feel that having Sonya and Cassie together (both blonde, military/brawler females) would be redundant, but who knows.

I say that as a Mileena/Kitana main, so maybe I'm just biased.

The returning character slots are so precious, the last thing I wanna see is Cage and Sonya taking up two
With all do respect, Kano is the biggest waste possible from the original characters in my opinion. Do you feel like he's more relevant than Sonya and Johnny?

I mean how many different rushdown variations can you really have.

JC V1: more damage
JC V2: frametrap/chip
JC V3: overhead/low mixups

Sonya V1: ?
Sonya V2: ?
Sonya V3: ?

Redundant waste of character slot. :coffee: If anything JC and Sonya should be variation 5 and 6 of Cassie Cage lol.

Last edited:
People please. If they invented 12 characters for the game, do you really think they can't make Sonya and Johnny original? They're as varied as Kano could be. Really. Even if they had no superpowers they could give them 7 original variations if they wanted. One acrobatic, one tough, one zoner. It isn't that hard. Specially since they keep recyclying moves for every character in every game.

Redundant waste of character slot. :coffee: If anything JC and Sonya should be variation 5 and 6 of Cassie Cage lol.
Just because good ol' Kurt Kurt is dead don't take it out on us JC and SB players.

trufenix

bye felicia

Redundant waste of character slot. :coffee:
I could very easily see them building 2-3 Johnnys, or 2-3 Sonyas. Lord knows they have the move libraries (Sonya alone has had like 20 different specials) even moreso if they inherit any from their fallen / forgotten comrades, it would just be a matter of figuring out which move concepts are "core" and which ones can afford to be shuffled. That said, I think its a dangerous precedent to assume the variation plan is to have direct correlation with actual playstyles. It just seems more like they are just playing with different move / character concepts and splitting up redundant moves. At least 60% (maybe more) of the character is going to be the same no matter what you pick. So this one has a fireball, this one has a teleport, this one has a command grab or a stat buff, different strings, blah blah, this one doesn't take chip. But unless you're on some insane m2dave-esque "teleports win EVO" logic, it doesn't instantly make them a zoner / high low character, and I think personally it would be dangerous to try and design 72 "characters" that way cause you would be just automatically making bad matchups. You build half the characters to have "only rushdown" or "only grappling" variants, and that's one whole variant thats just off the table against a character who can zone in all three forms. Maybe one of them gets lucky in a 6-4 sort of way, but it would still smack of Stryker v Kenshi levels of boy I should just put the controller down levels of unfun.

I feel like some of them are obviously gonna play "a certain way" cause obvious playstyle is obvious but its not a foregone conclusion that Raiden's x or Scorpion's y is definitely going to be zoning or definitely going to be rushdown. The fact that sub can throw and explode his clone and the other guy can leverage half way across the map via interactible means traditional snow man zoning is just gone. I can really only think of like, maybe Unbreakable and Commando and Storm Lord revealed so far that are just so obviously stereotypical, but clearly F/T is gonna be rushdown no matter what you pick. Remember when Cyborg was gonna be a reset character cause he had unblockable missiles and Green Arrow was a zoner cause he had ice arrows and a slide? NRS doesn't have a lot of history (or success) making super typecast characters, I don't think they're gonna start now.

Plop

Noob
With all do respect, Kano is the biggest waste possible from the original characters in my opinion. Do you feel like he's more relevant than Sonya and Johnny?
Well Kano is my all time favourite MK character so yes. That's just me though. I've always hated Sonya and been really indifferent about Cage. I don't see what they could bring to the table that Kano can't. Whatever they need to do story wise, they can do as NPC's. If they've already put Cassie in, I don't want to see those two in, but that's just me.

I'm kind of shocked at how closed minded you are right now...