What's new

The Xbox One Just Got Way Worse, And It's Our Fault

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Why don't they just add codes with each new game? Like how mk9 had them to play online.

Just add a code for each new game.
You can resell your disc but buyer must purchase a code from publishers or w.e to be able to play it. This way they get some money of used games.
You can sell code cards for games at stores as well.
EA tried to start doing that, and people burned them to the ground :)

aj1701

Noob
Most of you guys just need to look at the whole picture, instead of living/trying to stay in side this console gaming bubble.

Man why do people continue to post such drivel? Some companies will figure out how to give gamers what they want and make a profit even with used games, and others won't. Every other content producing company has used sales to deal with, there is nothing unique about video games. I don't give a damn what claims the game companies are making because quite frankly they don't really understand economics. Movie and tv studios claimed the VCR would destroy them. Music companies said digital downloads would kill them (and it almost did, because they refused to adapt to market demands and tried to stop change.. but now they're making money from iTunes and amazon).

But keep believing its used games instead of other forces like people choosing more causal games or other entertainment.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Every other content producing company has used sales to deal with, there is nothing unique about video games.
This guy didn't watch the video. The explanation of why that's completely wrong is something it goes over.

I'm not on one side or the other; but it's not too useful to argue unless you at least know what you're talking about.

aj1701

Noob
This guy didn't watch the video. The explanation of why that's completely wrong is something he goes over.

I'm not on one side or the other; but it's not too useful to argue unless you at least know what you're talking about.
Just because some dude says something in a video doesn't make it true. Content producers have a history lying about things saying it will destroy them when the truth is they just want more control over the content to drain every last penny they can. Copyright is a balance between creators and society to encourage content creation. Its not a absolute right, and our government has decided used markets must exist to help protect that balance. Game companies can either figure out how to operate in such conditions, or die. I don't really care which happens although I personally think it will collapse to only a few huge companies that make blockbusters

And just so were clear and people can stop telling me I don't get it, I'm a software developer as well. My career depends on the exact same system game developers rely on to be able to sell their product.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Man why do people continue to post such drivel? Some companies will figure out how to give gamers what they want and make a profit even with used games, and others won't. Every other content producing company has used sales to deal with, there is nothing unique about video games. I don't give a damn what claims the game companies are making because quite frankly they don't really understand economics. Movie and tv studios claimed the VCR would destroy them. Music companies said digital downloads would kill them (and it almost did, because they refused to adapt to market demands and tried to stop change.. but now they're making money from iTunes and amazon).

But keep believing its used games instead of other forces like people choosing more causal games or other entertainment.
Your post is so full of fail that it's not even funny. I won't go over all the points, but the easiest and most concise example I can give you is your take on the music industry.

The music industry was in peril of dying because of rampant piracy due to the advent of the internet and programs like Napster. Itunes and other DD's like it saved the industry, and after only a few years (a small fraction of time compared to how long that medium was primary physically based) digital downloads now pull in money money than thier physical counter parts.

Get you facts straight before you start trying to educate people. It is people like who jump to conclusions and spout BS like it's fact that lead so many others astray.

aj1701

Noob
Your post is so full of fail that it's not even funny. I won't go over all the points, but the easiest and most concise example I can give you is your take on the music industry.

The music industry was in peril of dying because of rampant piracy due to the advent of the internet and programs like Napster. Itunes and other DD's like it saved the industry, and after only a few years (a small fraction of time compared to how long that medium was primary physically based) digital downloads now pull in money money than thier physical counter parts.

Get you facts straight before you start trying to educate people. It is people like who jump to conclusions and spout BS like it's fact that lead so many others astray.
Yes, the piracy was a result of the industry not giving consumers what they want. Music consumers wanted the convince and savings that come with digital downloads. Now that they are finally doing exactly what customers want, they are doing ok again.

Gamers have made it clear that selling used games is important to them, as evidenced by xbone preorders vs ps4 preorders. Even if everything you say is true about used games, if its not economically viable then companies need to stop spending so much on making games. Either they can scale back or start demanding the same talent for less money, or some combination. Higher prices might be part of it too, they need to figure that out. In the end we may find the current variables make this economically unviable, but its not ok to try and destroy a legal market because they don't want to figure it out.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Yes, the piracy was a result of the industry not giving consumers what they want. Music consumers wanted the convince and savings that come with digital downloads. Now that they are finally doing exactly what customers want, they are doing ok again.

Gamers have made it clear that selling used games is important to them, as evidenced by xbone preorders vs ps4 preorders. Even if everything you say is true about used games, if its not economically viable then companies need to stop spending so much on making games. Either they can scale back or start demanding the same talent for less money, or some combination. Higher prices might be part of it too, they need to figure that out. In the end we may find the current variables make this economically unviable, but its not ok to try and destroy a legal market because they don't want to figure it out.

Hardcore gamers only made one thing abundantly clear over the last couple of weeks, that they (we) CHOOSE not to look ahead and would rather live in past. We made it clear that we didn't understand what was in front of us, and because of that, quick progress was staved off due of lack of understanding and fear.

Console gamers are used to what we have now because it is what we've always known (many/most PC gamers that I've run across under stood what MS was going for). Most console gamers won't admit it, but it is clearly there, a fear of change, as they have no clear understanding of what wide spread DD would bring to this industry. They (you) cannot imagine what things would be like if physical media didn't exists, and think that if the devs and Pubs had "more." that they would seemingly raise prices so much that they would screw us customers, and essentially kill the industry to do it. How ridiculous is that?

Would you still buy games if they were all $100 a piece?...plus micro-transactions and DLC??? Do you think that there would be a wide spread market for a $100 MK10 where we bought all the outfits and characters, and were charged for an online pass? The fact is that there is a balance in all business, and it is the customers who dictate the prices. If prices were raised to the levels that so many fear, the game companies would loose money...and no business wants that.

Anyway, regardless of how any of us feel, or what any of us say, slowly, and surely, disks will be phased out, and by that time THEN (hopefully) we'll be ready.

Another thing before I end, do you actually realize how much games used to be? How much less we pay today, and how much more we get for our inflated dollar in the present vs the past? I don't know how old you are, but back in the day I got Mortal Kombat Trilogy for $80 on N64; I had it on PSX as well and it was about the same price. The overall trend of the gaming industry is that even though dev costs got up, consumer prices still come down. DD for all game will only bring about the next boom in the gaming industry, not because devs can make more money, but because the customer will win.

GrundyFox

I will spit on your tomb!
Hardcore gamers only made one thing abundantly clear over the last couple of weeks, that they (we) CHOOSE not to look ahead and would rather live in past. We made it clear that we didn't understand what was in front of us, and because of that, quick progress was staved off due of lack of understanding and fear.

The only thing you've made clear is you are riddled with presumption, conjecture, tend to pearl clutch, and have one hell of a crystalball. So much so I am wondering if I could get some lottery numbers from you. I'd love to be a millionaire.

So because people outright rejected things (for brevity sake) means we don't understand and were frightened because of our ignorance? Man, I've seen some smug self-righteous BS sine joining these forums but this easily takes the cake. It wasn't rocket science - if I may be so presumptuous I think we DID get it and simply rejected it.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I don't give a damn what claims the game companies are making because quite frankly they don't really understand economics.
Lol. A multi-billion dollar industry that employs scores of highly paid analysts doesn't "really understand economics".

Who does understand? If you know some people who do actually understand, you should direct them toward the Gamasutra job board, because apparently the game industry is leaving a load of money on the table because they don't "really understand economics".

Most of you guys just need to look at the whole picture, instead of living/trying to stay in side this console gaming bubble.

Just watched the whole 30 minutes. I thought I had perspective before, but damn. More people really need to see this informative video.

So, game designers, writers, voice actors, publishers, artists, etc. do NOT get even close to 99% revenue due to systems such as Gamestop piggybacking on the work and leeching off the success of others. How the fuck do people support this?! I guess as long as they get $15 off on their used game, then to hell with keeping this industry alive.

I said what I meant. keep your corrections to yourself.
I didn't change what you meant, I only removed the negative connotation that you falsely attached to his argument. The forum doesn't need more pointless animosity because of different opinions. Anyway, do you have any other funny and original Youtube videos to share? I'm being serious... I'd also like to be prepared for when I don't have anything relevant or constructive to say.

GrundyFox

I didn't change what you meant, I only removed the negative connotation that you falsely attached to his argument. The forum doesn't need more pointless animosity because of different opinions. Anyway, do you have any other funny and original Youtube videos to share? I'm being serious... I'd also like to be prepared for when I don't have anything relevant or constructive to say.

You clearly changed what I said. If you're so worried about differing opinions and their nature cast some of that enlightenment on the post in question. Implying in a sweeping fashion that people who didn't want "it" (for brevity sake) are too stupid to understand " it" (again, for brevity sake) is absurd to put it lightly. It was literally one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen here or anywhere because it was said as though it was adamant veracity.

There was nothing there but presumption and faux intellectual platitudes while implying everyone else was a shortsighted fool.

Outstanding.

You clearly changed what I said. If you're so worried about differing opinions and their nature cast some of that enlightenment on the post in question. Implying in a sweeping fashion that people who didn't want "it" (for brevity sake) are too stupid to understand " it" (again, for brevity sake) is absurd to put it lightly. It was literally one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen here or anywhere because it was said as though it was adamant veracity.

There was nothing there but presumption and faux intellectual platitudes while implying everyone else was a shortsighted fool.

Outstanding.
Referring back to his post, I don't see any sort of blanket statement, unless you automatically presume that he is incapable of recognizing possible exceptions. But here's the thing: there's no need to disclose something so axiomatic when discussing the public. It would be extremely superfluous and tedious if we were forced to acknowledge "this doesn't apply to all, but..." with every point we try to make about general behaviors. Also, there is absolutely zero debasement about anybody's intelligence whatsoever. If so, he'd be calling himself stupid according to the use of "we" in his quote. A person can be a genius and still not "understand" (actual word used) something unknown or unfamiliar. Lastly, even your own post about his "adamant veracity" comes off as veracious... but hey, people are heated and debating on the Internet, one should expect every last post here try to push their own perspective as the voice of reason. That's the fundamental nature of an argument.

GrundyFox

Referring back to his post, I don't see any sort of blanket statement, unless you automatically presume that he is incapable of recognizing possible exceptions. But here's the thing: there's no need to disclose something so axiomatic when discussing the public. It would be extremely superfluous and tedious if we were forced to acknowledge "this doesn't apply to all, but..." with every point we try to make about general behaviors. Also, there is absolutely zero debasement about anybody's intelligence whatsoever. If so, he'd be calling himself stupid according to the use of "we" in his quote. A person can be a genius and still not "understand" (actual word used) something unknown or unfamiliar. Lastly, even your own post about his "adamant veracity" comes off as veracious... but hey, people are heated and debating on the Internet, one should expect every last post here try to push their own perspective as the voice of reason. That's the fundamental nature of an argument.

haha that's the best you could come up with? The most trite, predictable and outdated insult clip in the history of the Internet? lol what a sad waste of time and energy you are. There's absolutely zero incentive not to ignore you.

Here's one a little more imaginative, yet still within your range of maturity, and a perfect send-off: