What's new

The Xbox One Just Got Way Worse, And It's Our Fault

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I don't give a fuck about it. No offline tournaments allowed if we gotta be connected before playing.

Starcraft 2 is working that way, and there are always disconexion problems in a 6000$ cashprice tournament. That's a shame. Especially for casuals people who just wanna make a LAN between friends.

If they kept the policy in place, yes. The inability to resell something inherently lowers its value. Also, digital downloads save costs on creating physical media, cases and shipping costs, which yes, I do expect to drive down the price.

If xbone kept the same restrictions, but the norm day one price dropped to say $35-50, then I would probably have been fine with it since I'm getting something in return for more restrictions.

If, IF, they released brand new games at 30-40 dollars, then it might work. But they're not, and they likely wouldn't be.
They've had their chance for lower prices for the last several years for GoD and those are still full price, all the time.

They tried to jump too far ahead and tried to make it too much like a PC and console at the same time, which bred these problems to begin with.

Too much of this post does not have any valid or credible source supporting any of it. For example:

You would also, as it happens, have been able to share and resell your digitally purchased games.
Bad thread is bad.

aj1701

Noob
If, IF, they released brand new games at 30-40 dollars, then it might work. But they're not, and they likely wouldn't be.
They've had their chance for lower prices for the last several years for GoD and those are still full price, all the time.

They tried to jump too far ahead and tried to make it too much like a PC and console at the same time, which bred these problems to begin with.
Well that's my point. I don't think people would have been as upset if they Dai oh the games will be half price now.

Well that's my point. I don't think people would have been as upset if they Dai oh the games will be half price now.

It would have softened the blow, sure, but I still think they need to fully commit to one side in their policies.
You just can't have PC-like restrictions and try to keep the freedom of disc-based games.

Maybe by the time the XB4/PS5 come out we'll have moved into that territory, but that'd still a good 10+ years away, I think.

aj1701

Noob
It would have softened the blow, sure, but I still think they need to fully commit to one side in their policies.
You just can't have PC-like restrictions and try to keep the freedom of disc-based games.

Maybe by the time the XB4/PS5 come out we'll have moved into that territory, but that'd still a good 10+ years away, I think.
It will be interesting to see if steambox catches on, as that's basically what xbone was (well ignoring the non gaming features of xbone).

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
First off let me start by saying I am a gizmodo guy that reads many of their articles and I am pissed I wasted my time reading this shitty article over on their site. The entire article under "The Vision" part is all speculative & not once did any of that get talked about offically by Msoft other then the game sharing / family list (btw the game sharing news wasn't talked about @E3 to my knowledge, it was brougth up by Major Nelson on a side interview). So don't tell me what I lost when Msoft never told me what i was going to fucking get!
If microsoft wanted to push this form of DRM, WHY didn't microsoft do a proper E3 presentation stating the pro's and cons of these new DRM policies. Couldn't they have said "Retail game prices will go down once we do this new DRM policies due to companies making money on used games". Do you know why they didn't, because I DOUBT FOR ONE MINUTE that Microsoft/ greedy companies like EA and others would have passed any savings to the us the players/gamers. Look I have been a gamer for many yrs (C64 - Current Gen) and I am 100 percent happy Msoft did a 180 and didn't keep this DRM stuff. Did Msoft really get into details about the "share with friends plan" they were trying to Instead they just tell us what we are going to have to deal with/eat just like they did with Windows 8 and their stupid metro GUI. If i add a start button on my windows 8 via a program I have to worry when the new windows 8 update comes out because they have went on record saying they will break the program.Oh and to top it all off their response about people wanting to purchase an xbox one but don't have internet"Get a xbox 360 then". Wow just wow at that response from Msoft.
If anyone thinks that pre-sales , social networks and news articles talking about XBOX one is the reason this change is ocurring I have to say YES IT IS and THANK GOD!!!!However, Microsoft right now is taking a beating with Windows 8 just like they did with Vista. I won't even get into the failure of Microsoft Surface now. I don't think they can afford to just go "balls deep" and not give a shit about what the we the people buying their crap have to say or why we are not buying it. I honestly believe that if Windows 8 was the next Windows that everyone wanted they wouldn't change shit. They can't afford to take another beating in sales and on top of that lose ground to Sony.
In addition I want to close this by saying THANK GOD again this has changed. If gizmodo wants to blame people like me who want to OWN my games and do what i Want with them then BLAME ME ALL YOU WANT!

FYI: I was going to buy an XBOX one anyway on launch but any game that came out on PC , PS4 & Xbox one would of been bought on PC first and if only on XB1 and PS4 I would of bought the PS4 version. I still plan on doing that because this entire situation left a nasty taste in my mouth. Gizmodo needs to learn that the people you are blaming saying "its our fault" are the same people that come to your site. Not to mention the articles that I read when EA and other companies used crazy DRM crap on PCS that made anti virus programs think a virus was installed on my PC.

totheark

Shazzy's Senpai
It does suck that we can no longer play a game without having the actual disc in the Xbox One now. The ability to say "Kinect play -" without having to worry if your disc is inside would've been cool.

The only way to do that now is to buy the game through the Marketplace with my trash 15mb/s internet.

At least there'll be less bitching which is always welcoming.

It does suck that we can no longer play a game without having the actual disc in the Xbox One now. The ability to say "Kinect play -" without having to worry if your disc is inside would've been cool.

The only way to do that now is to buy the game through the Marketplace with my trash 15mb/s internet.

At least there'll be less bitching which is always welcoming.
Wow, that would have been so cool. Too bad there's so many whiners asking for the exact same system as last decade. :(

Im glad its not my fault. People ruined what could have been an awesome experience but noooo, "let me bitch along with everyone else for no reason even though I was never getting an Xbox in the first place". Hope you guys are happy on shooting yourselfs in the foot.

I will spit on your tomb!

BGMD

Noob
interesting read here:

http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/12507/heartbroken-xbox-one-employee-lets-rip-must-read

When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour...When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game... We were toying around with a limit on the number of times members could access the shared game (as to discourage gamers from simply beating the game by doing multiple playthroughs) but we had not settled on an appropriate way of handling it.

The difference between the family sharing and the typical store demo is that your progress is saved as if it was the full game, and the data that was installed for that shared game doesn’t need to be erased when they purchase the full game! It gave incentive to share your games among your peers, it gave games exposure, it allowed old games to still generate revenue for publishers. At the present time we’re no longer going forward with it, but it is not completely off the table. It is still possible to implement this with the digital downloaded versions of games, and in fact that’s the plan still as far as I’m aware.
Did anyone actually thought that publishers would allow free full game sharing with other 10 people? MS was so shady about everything the whole time, not explaining anything properly for a reason. They would be all over it if true, but it sounded way to good.

aj1701

Noob
interesting read here:

http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/12507/heartbroken-xbox-one-employee-lets-rip-must-read

Did anyone actually thought that publishers would allow free full game sharing with other 10 people? MS was so shady about everything the whole time, not explaining anything properly for a reason. They would be all over it if true, but it sounded way to good.
They may have considered it free advertising.

Even the blog though sue this could still be done for downloaded games. And the other feature he talks about has nothing to do with the other policy changes and I'd imagine you can still do those things.

I think he overestimates how many people were ok with the contentious policies. I think the proof would be on the preorder numbers. If those numbers were keeping up with ps4 I doubt we'd see a change.

And that "education" nonsense is insulting. We all understood exactly perfectly what would be gained and lost, but obviously people felt they'd lose more than they would gain.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
This was a lose lose for Microsoft and their already dedicated consumer.

If they didn't change their policies, they would have been BURIED in sales until they were able to pull off a Steam like system for games.

Now they did, they can't follow up on these ideas and we can continue trading in our games and let those who bitched about that can now bitch about their trade in price because they don't understand basic supply and demand.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Why don't they just add codes with each new game? Like how mk9 had them to play online.

Just add a code for each new game.
You can resell your disc but buyer must purchase a code from publishers or w.e to be able to play it. This way they get some money of used games.
You can sell code cards for games at stores as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

aj1701

Noob
This was a lose lose for Microsoft and their already dedicated consumer.

If they didn't change their policies, they would have been BURIED in sales until they were able to pull off a Steam like system for games.

Now they did, they can't follow up on these ideas and we can continue trading in our games and let those who bitched about that can now bitch about their trade in price because they don't understand basic supply and demand.
No reason for anyone to bitch about trade in price. For a popular game you can sell it yourself on amazon undercutting games stops used price while getting way more than they would have bought it from you for.

Why don't they just add codes with each new game? Like how mk9 had them to play online.

Just add a code for each new game.
You can resell your disc but buyer must purchase a code from publishers or w.e to be able to play it. This way they get some money of used games.
You can sell code cards for games at stores as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

People already hate and boycott companies that do online passes. If they tried to lock an entire game with a pass then the entire company/game industry would be destroyed.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
No reason for anyone to bitch about trade in price. For a popular game you can sell it yourself on amazon undercutting games stops used price while getting way more than they would have bought it from you for.
Exactly, I just sold my whole Uncharted trilogy for $60, GS would have given me like $10 cash.... but I understand why.

JLG

Noob
This is probably the best and most concise assessment of this whole mess.

Internet trolls and Sony (and microsoft, but mostly Sony) fan boys are the digital equivalent to tea party republicans.

The silver lining in this is that there will now be more online scrubs to blow up in ki3
There is a Like button, but no Dislike button.

As a PC gamer, who also owns both PS3 and 360, it is not that hard to see that TC's (linked) comments contained a lot of speculation. In short, don't drink the Kool Aid.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
So it seems the share plan for xbox one was on hour for people on your list before they get prompt to buy the game @ the market place. Hey DarKNaTaS you should change the gizmodo topic to "Thank you" Instead of Gizmodos artice saying its out fault. #FUCKXBOX.

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
nice try MS, blaming us - gamers? go suck my dick.
it's like GNR with 12354315477987 shredders just to replace Slash.

Erazor

Noob
"If the old system had gone into place, you would likely have seen game prices drop. Or, at the very least, it could have staved off price increases."

That's where I stopped reading.