What's new

The TYM Ultra-Mega Hitbox Thread

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Yeah I have a 360 @ home that is why. :(. How do I do this? Do I just click the PS3HB and ask to Dual Mod it or something, because there's only one option available.
I'd e-mail them because I was on the list for it and I didn't even sign up for it.

BTW, I've been using it an loving it, although I got SQUASHED using it yesterday, but I literally only have about two hours worth of experience with it. I actually plugged it in to my PC and started playing old SNES games with to program my mind/muscle memory to think of the "jump" button as up.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
I want a custom one T_T lazy your art is almost finnish sektor wont direcly be in it but youll know what i mean

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Here is the finished product:

Works fine although very strange to get used to!!!

Review coming soon!!!!

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Here is the finished product:

Works fine although very strange to get used to!!!

Review coming soon!!!!
Holy molly that looks great! I'm having a bit of delay on getting my parts done, but it'll be good. Just a few things:
1.- Do you really need that much of space for your hands? Or is it that big 'cause of artwork?
2.- Thinking of making one with the MK layout?
Awesome work once again. Love the buttons' colours.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Holy molly that looks great! I'm having a bit of delay on getting my parts done, but it'll be good. Just a few things:
1.- Do you really need that much of space for your hands? Or is it that big 'cause of artwork?
2.- Thinking of making one with the MK layout?
Awesome work once again. Love the buttons' colours.
Thank you very much sir!!!! ****Tips cap****

The reason I have the layout that big is technically because of the graphic, but also, I wanted to give a little room inside the box for the wires and things because underneath there isn't that much space!!!!

I was thinking of maybe doing one, but that would just essentially be it, it would be just for MK and nothing else as I believe I wouldn't feel comfortable playing say, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter or maybe even Tekken on it.... But it can easily be done, all you have to do is just space out the buttons as you would on the original MK machine, but obviously making sure that your buttons are the correct distance apart.

You would only have 6 buttons instead of the 8, so you would have more space inside for your wiring. I grouped my wires by putting green tape around the Punches and Blue around the Kicks so its easier for me to find, should something go wrong.

The buttons were done to coincide with the actual graphic because I had blues, pinks etc in there ;)

But thanks for the comments and I am looking forward to seeing your box in action!!!

When I get time, I will post a video review of it soon.

Note: I would like to take this time to say a big THANK YOU to the developers of the Hitbox™ and for giving me the inspiration to make one. So big shout out to developers of the Hitbox™.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
For those waiting on my review, I'm still working on it! I already have four pages of stuff so it should be quite detailed. So please wait on it, you have to wait for the Hitbox anyway, so learn some patience :D

So, I'm about to make my own HitBox out of a gun case. Will start working on it once the Cthulhu and other parts arrive from lizardlick... Doesn't seem like it'll be too hard.

Ok so I have a custom hitbox that uses wires soldered to a 360 pad. I got a chimpSMD to dual mod it. Thing is I cant find very good instruction on how to wire that up, just how to dual mod sticks with wierd 360 pcb's.

Does anyone have good pics/diagrams on how to do this?

Tim Static

Adminerator
Have you checked out youtube?

Im not aware of any personally, but i would fnd it hard to believe their isnt any on youtube. I'll check some resources, and if i find anything, i will let you know.

aj1701

Noob
Ok, I'm really thinking about doing a DIY hitbox, but with MK button layout. I'm gonna see if I can figure out the directional button layout myself so that it fits me.

What I'd like to know though is what would I need inside the box? This is for PS3. This is what I'm thinking.

Sanwa buttons. I've read here I want cherry switches and quick disconnect... I assume Sanwas have that option?

MK button layout, with run button, and of course directionals. So that's 10 buttons total for that. I'm thinking 24mm buttons, except for jump which will be 28mm.

Three more buttons, Select, Start, PS, likely upper left corner.

This is what I'm not sure of. My AIAB stick doesn't have L1 or L2. Don't need them for MK fighting, but I like to say GG in chat over sending a message. Ya I know, probably silly, but whatever.

Possibly somewhere near the MK2 cross I can have another button for tag. Wouldn't need to hit it often, but could be useful. Of course if this is just a stupid idea I'm not against dropping it, just something I would possibly consider.

So, what else? I know I need a PCB, any recommendations? Also what kind of wire and what length? Anything else I'd need? Assuming someone could build the box itself for me, what tools would I need?

The more details the better!

Velvet Sack

A Dream and a Dream
I'm planning on making one myself. For the PCB, I'm going to use a Madcatz Dual Force, which is basically the Kmart version of the PS1 Dual Shock. Run it through a converter and it works just fine. A friend and I have already converted a Hori Fight Stick Wii to work for PS3 doing it that way. If you decide to do something similar to that, I recommend that you use a third party wired controller. If you have some basic knowledge of how electronics work, you should be able to make it happen. If not, there's a ton of info out there on how to hack old controllers.

The only arcade stick PCB I've modded with is the Paewang Revolution, which is very easy to work with. Some light soldering and away you go. And it's dual-modded out of the box, which is a huge plus [Edit: yeah, triple modded. My PC sucks, so I don't really think about computer gaming]. The main thing that's difficult in modding one of those is working with the case, which requires some elbow grease to make everything fit. Sounds like you've got someone lined up to build a case? Personally, I'm thinking of using a cigar box or old book. I want this thing to be fuckin' renegade.

The button layout you have planned sounds pretty good, as far as I can tell. If you use an older controller like I'm doing, you won't have a home button. My current stick uses Sanwa 30mms. I like the size of those but I think 24mms would probably be just fine, especially if you wanted the jump button to be bigger. I don't know about cherry switches, but they have quick disconnects. The crimp connectors sold by Lizard Lick aren't very good. If you can find 7/64" connectors at Radio Shack, you'd be better off using those. I used 22 gauge stranded wire, but I'm not sure how much. It was a thing from Radio Shack that came with 3 spools for something like $7, and there is plenty left over. Other than that, you'll need a soldering iron and 60/40 rosin core solder, a wire cutter/stripper, a set of pliers for the crimp connectors, and maybe a solder sucker to remove excess solder. A set of helping hands is comes in extremely handy, but you can do it without them.

Looking forward to seeing the result. Bon voyage to us both.

Satan1

Ice Pirate
Ok, I'm really thinking about doing a DIY hitbox, but with MK button layout. I'm gonna see if I can figure out the directional button layout myself so that it fits me.

What I'd like to know though is what would I need inside the box? This is for PS3. This is what I'm thinking.

Sanwa buttons. I've read here I want cherry switches and quick disconnect... I assume Sanwas have that option?
Sanwa's have QD's and good switches (SW68 or Omron), buttons with the SW68 switch are most common (and very good) and the Omron is a tad better but more expensive.

MK button layout, with run button, and of course directionals. So that's 10 buttons total for that. I'm thinking 24mm buttons, except for jump which will be 28mm.
Most hitboxes I've seen do it like this, I think some even have a 40mm as a jump button.

This is what I'm not sure of. My AIAB stick doesn't have L1 or L2. Don't need them for MK fighting, but I like to say GG in chat over sending a message. Ya I know, probably silly, but whatever.
I'm a six button joystick user and have the same problem with the game chat, maybe you can have those buttons on the side?

Possibly somewhere near the MK2 cross I can have another button for tag. Wouldn't need to hit it often, but could be useful. Of course if this is just a stupid idea I'm not against dropping it, just something I would possibly consider.
If you don't use the double button command (2+4), you can place the tag button where you want (then only one side button is needed). But going that way I would use a 7 button vewlix layout instead of the MK one.

So, what else? I know I need a PCB, any recommendations?
Depends on how much you want to spend.
-You can use a regular PCB from a PS3 pad/stick you have, requires soldering in most cases.
-You can use Toodles Cthulhu: this PCB has a multi console version. It has a very easy installation, great support and no soldering (screw terminal).(recommended)
---->found here: http://www.lizardlick.com/Controller-Boards-Kits_c_220.html
-You can use the Dual Strike V2: Almost the same and as good as Toodles' one, but sold in Europe. (recommended)
---->found here: http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteurope.de/xtcmodified/index.php?cPath=6&XTCsid=bs80q1046fttjb58l7njanolp1

There are other PCB's like the Paywang (triple mod) or the 360 (360+ should come out soon @ Akhibarashop.jp), but the Toodles and Dual Strike are community made thus I like to support these guys. I have a Dual Strike (in a stick) myself and it's easy and good!

Also what kind of wire and what length? Anything else I'd need? Assuming someone could build the box itself for me, what tools would I need?
For all this info I would recommend the Slagcoin website, as you can make it as cheap or expensive as you want, and the website is a GREAT read if you're interested in controller gear.
---->Found here: http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick.html

Now you got me interested in making one to, haha!

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
You will need the Cthulu PCB. You will need the MC Cthulu if you want the SOCD cleaning!!. It really easy and there is no solder. If you get the 2.8mm crimps to go on the end of the wire, after crimping them, you can just connect them to the Sanwa buttons, very easy mate.

Your buttons will be Sanwa 24mm except fot the jump which is 30mm, but get the OBSF ones as they are very responsive.

Is your box going to have plexiglass / perspex on top?? Or is it just going to be wooden / Metal?? You will need 2 drill bits. I have a 24mm and a 30mm shovel drill bit... Although these are used for wood, you can use them to drill the holes in the perspex, but before yo0u do, put making tape on the top and bottom of the perspex, so that you dont crack it!!!

If you need any help, please don't hesitate to P'M me and I will try to help you as best as I can!! The MK layout is the same process as the Hitbox I made, just a couple of less buttons, but the concept and process is still the same.

Good luck guys and look forward to seeing your results. I should have another one made soon as my friend wants me to build him one.... Am working on getting a review done and and my opinion of it. When I have done, I will post a review of it up!!

aj1701

Noob
This is great, thanks guys! Sounds like I have some other things to consider as well! I hadn't considered at all how to finish it. Hmm. So it sounds like some options I have are also solder free? I'd rather go that route as I don't have soldering stuff. I'm going to do more research based on all this info, some of it depends on if my coworker will do the wood working part. Thanks again!

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Hiya Aj!

Yep, what I would do first obviously is map your buttons out. The way I would do this is rest my hands on the wood and make marks where your fingers are resting. According to the site 'slagcoin.com' that Satan's Haze supplied, you should be looking for a distance of about 29mm between the center points of each button.

I recommend that you plan your position of the directional buttons first though mate as they are more or less a universal thing in regards to distance and the curvature of the layout between all custom built Hitboxes.

When you come to wire, use the crimps (I think that they are 2.8mm) and crimp one end of your wires to them. They 'plug' onto the metal prongs at the bottom of the button, so you don't have to solder anything. Once it is attached to the button, put the other end into the relevant slot on the Cthulu and tighten the relevant screw. Once its in place, just move onto the next!!

Hope this helps man!

I'm also making my own HitBox, but not out of a wood case - I'm making it out of a plastic guncase. I have all of the pieces, and am on the hardest part - the layout/cutting holes section. I'm using a drill with spaded bit (15/16"- almost exactly 24mm). I will post pics when done.

Dark Kobra, do you have a layout diagram for the direction buttons?

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
I'm also making my own HitBox, but not out of a wood case - I'm making it out of a plastic guncase. I have all of the pieces, and am on the hardest part - the layout/cutting holes section. I'm using a drill with spaded bit (15/16"- almost exactly 24mm). I will post pics when done.

Dark Kobra, do you have a layout diagram for the direction buttons?
Hiya fella!!

I have a Hitbox style layout file that may be of some use to you. Its in a Photoshop PSD file, so if you know anyone who has Photoshop, you can view it on that!

Pass me your email address in a PM mate and I will send you it ;)

Oh gad....just got mine today. This thing is going to take ages to get used to. Coming straight from a ps3 dpad to this and never used an arcade stick in my life :confused: Having a little bit of trouble with Kabal's iAFB at the moment though. Seems to want to punch before throwing out the FB.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Oh gad....just got mine today. This thing is going to take ages to get used to. Coming straight from a ps3 dpad to this and never used an arcade stick in my life :confused: Having a little bit of trouble with Kabal's iAFB at the moment though. Seems to want to punch before throwing out the FB.
Try doing
b+u, b, 1
or
b+u, b+u, 1.

Hey everyone, just wondering if everyone here does there own custom artwork to place under the protective casing or if you can get them somewhere. I would love to have a custom MK9 background on my HitBox...but I am horrible with that kind of stuff. Anyone here for hire? :D

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Hey everyone, just wondering if everyone here does there own custom artwork to place under the protective casing or if you can get them somewhere. I would love to have a custom MK9 background on my HitBox...but I am horrible with that kind of stuff. Anyone here for hire? :D
Hiya Paul!

What characters and theme are you looking for??? Do you want your main character on there?? What backgrounds are you thinking of? Are there any other characters from other games that you want on your Hitbox style controller or just MK???

As you will have seen from my Hitbox, I kind of do my own graphic, so if you like what you see on mine, drop up a PM and we'll sort something out. :)

Hey Kobra! Your box was actually the inspiration for this thread =) I was thinking something with a close up of Ermac on one side with all his green energy around him or something like that with Quan Chi on the other side. I'm on my phone right now at work so when I get home we can work something out when I can actually type :confused:.