What's new

The Trainwreck that is PS3 stick/controller for PS4 Support

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
When I bring my PS4 set-up for tournaments I also bring 2 PS4 controllers that stay synced to the system. Then I plug them up to a USB hub for power. This prevents most problems with desyncing unless somebody breaks the rules and brings a wireless controller with a battery still attached.

It kinda sucks, but having 2 controllers for each set-up is by far the easiest way to do it without accidentally leaving a controller synced at the moment.
So if we have 6 setups we need to have 12 controllers which is $600 dollars, more than a PS4... I've had an xb1 controller stolen at an event once, people need to bring their own pads and sync cable.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
The dualshock 4 thing should be banned not only because of desync, but because the more dual shocks connected to a system, the more input lag the controllers on that system experience. Its 2 frames.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
The dualshock 4 thing should be banned not only because of desync, but because the more dual shocks connected to a system, the more input lag the controllers on that system experience. Its 2 frames.
Tournaments should follow EVO standard...TAKE THE BATTERY OUT!!! It takes 1 minute to do. Get a small philips screw driver, take out the four screws, use the same tiny screw driver to wedge open the clips all around the controller, unplug the battery and take it out, snap the controller back together, put in the screws, now connect your controller with the charge cable!!!!!

I've been to a handful of tournaments in my area and there have always been someone with a wireless controller and yes a problem occurs later for OTHER people and nobody is penalized, but hey if you pause during a match by accident you lose the match.

I think when you register / check in your controller should be inspected.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
PS3 stick users always get 1st player :DOGE

Honestly I'm just gonna buy a ps4 stick because this shit is bound to go wrong somewhere and I wouldn't blame TOs for not wanting that headache

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Tournaments should follow EVO standard...TAKE THE BATTERY OUT!!! It takes 1 minute to do. Get a small philips screw driver, take out the four screws, use the same tiny screw driver to wedge open the clips all around the controller, unplug the battery and take it out, snap the controller back together, put in the screws, now connect your controller with the charge cable!!!!!

I've been to a handful of tournaments in my area and there have always been someone with a wireless controller and yes a problem occurs later for OTHER people and nobody is penalized, but hey if you pause during a match by accident you lose the match.

I think when you register / check in your controller should be inspected.

PS4 has 2 usb ports, to use legacy ps3 sticks you need 4 usb ports. 4>2. That is why you are forced to use wireless ds4 pads. Unless you use a usb hub that does not run hot and mess up your ports. So get rid of legacy ps3 contoller support.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Sir, I know how to work my around controllers and sticks.

PS4 has 2 usb ports, to use legacy ps3 sticks you need 4 usb ports. 4>2. That is why you are forced to use wireless ds4 pads. Unless you use a usb hub that does not run hot and mess up your ports. So get rid of legacy ps3 contoller support.
Ah ok, I thought it was simple like just plug in the DS4, it detects it, unplug it, and put in your PS3.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Ah ok, I thought it was simple like just plug in the DS4, it detects it, unplug it, and put in your PS3.
No you have to have a ds4 connected at all times for each ps3 stick you use. So if 2 ps3 sticks are in use on one system, that is 4 controllers connected to one system at one time (2 DS4s and 2 PS3 sticks). If the ps4 had 4 ports, this would not be as big of a headache, because everything could be wired.

Last edited:

SGX

Noob
USB hubs would be a much cheaper investment for TOs as opposed to 2 DS4s per station or anything like that.

Sucks that this is such a problem. Guess I won't be entering any tournaments anytime soon, since I'm a primary stick user.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I haven't tested my Hori Commander with my PS3 stick, but it has to work... then both will be wired. The problem then lies in that there are only two USB ports.

WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SUCH A HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS??

PS4 stick coming soon... can't get here soon enough though. I am using pad now which is fine, but damn I miss my stick.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
At Shang tsungs fight nights I had to wait upwards of 10-15 minutes for the other guy to figure out how to make his stick work on multiple occassions. It was awful.
What lol.
You just need to press Ok in the button you're assigning the legacy controler, i'm sure it can be done in less than 5 seconds, where does that guy came from?

Jeremy KO

*insert kotal kahn gibberish here*
What would cost less. Getting a brand new ps4 stick, or buying a ps4 pad and getting it modded by someone like Gummo or something?

virtiqaL

Noob
I just messaged Gummo about getting my hitbox modded for ps4 and would feel like a dumbass dropping the money for that if this is something NRS can patch. Can someone get us a word from them on this issue and whether or not they're going to do anything about it?

diamond

Became a tier whore out of frustration
Link me a ps4 stick that is also compatible with a PC that is less than or equal to 150 dollars before I would even CONSIDER being for banning PS3 sticks
The Hori RAP 4 Kai works with PS3, PS4, and PC. Is $149.99.

I have it and it's great!

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Let me tell you why there is a huge fucking problem with this right now.

Right now, when you plug in a ps3 stick/controller, it has to be assigned to an account. To sign in to an account you need a ps4 pad. Player two will ALSO need to sign into an account (Guest1, no psn).

Scenario 1: Player 1 PS4 Pad, Player 2 PS3 Stick, no pad.

Player Two will control Player One. There is no way to have player two join as player two.

Scenario 2: Player 1 PS4 Pad, Player 2 PS3 Stick, Ps4 Pad.

Player Two will have to Sign In under Guest 1. This is so that they can sign in as player two.

What does this mean? BRING A PS4 CONTROLLER WITH YOU TO AN EVENT.

What will we have to do after the match? DESYNC YOUR PS4 CONTROLLER VIA THE DESYNC STATION*

This is what we will have to do if this doesn't get fixed. If that's not the case and this causes too much of a clusterfuck, banning legacy controllers might be the right way.

*A Desync station is a PS4 system off to the side where you can plug in your PS4 pad to sync up with that station. This station will not be used for tournaments and will not have any issues taking in controllers.
This is good to point out to future TOs and I wonder if this can be fixed?

Branden Delio

PSN: C9-Keiji
What lol.
You just need to press Ok in the button you're assigning the legacy controler, i'm sure it can be done in less than 5 seconds, where does that guy came from?
Exactly this, if people know what they are doing under these circumstances it isn't a big deal and you can get everything connected and good to go in a rather quick fashion the only time you should spend more than 10-20 seconds connecting stuff is when the people doing so are retarded. The only issue I see with PS3 sticks is that if wireless controllers are banned which they usually are and a controller has to be hooked up to be associated with the PS3 stick its not possible because there are only 2 USB ports per PS4 and a PS3 stick user alone needs 2 1 for a non-wireless pad to be associated with the stick (since all wireless pads are banned) and then the USB for the stick itself making it so there is no USB port for the other player. So to fix this the PS3 stick user has to carry around his own USB port hub for more ports for his stuff or if wireless pads are usable then this shouldn't be an issue what so ever especially if someone found out a way to get the PS3 stick user to player 2 which someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The Hori RAP 4 Kai works with PS3, PS4, and PC. Is $149.99.

I have it and it's great!
Yes is great my stick had the same price and is last gen, then again to ship to my country it costed me $250.99 which is 25k KZS on my national currency, and currently i'm not equipped to ship another stick when my own doesn't even have 2 years old.

d3v

SRK
USFIV on PS4 is getting this as well. I wonder if Capcom/Ocean's implementation will be better than this. Heck, if they've been paying attention to all the issues with MKX's implementation, it most likely will be better.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
USFIV on PS4 is getting this as well. I wonder if Capcom/Ocean's implementation will be better than this. Heck, if they've been paying attention to all the issues with MKX's implementation, it most likely will be better.
I wonder what the EVO rules will be for this if it requires a DS4 to hooked up at all times like it currently does for MKX. With only 2 ports, will evo ban legacy controllers if it works like it does in MKX?