What's new

The Tierlist is ALMOST Correct

HGTV DrFlash44

Quan Cheese!!!
I am here to admit that I down play quan chi sometimes, but he should so in the standouts of the A tier like come on guys think

Death

Noob
Sonya is definitely above Kung lao in tier list simple because

Sonya's Main Move= cartwheel (regular and ex) = 100% safe

Kung lao 's main move= Spin = stupidly punishable

and liu is absolutely top 10. If you dont believe so then get off them pills
Shanxter pls. KL is ranked higher than Sonya for sure.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Sindel has step up and Liu has his kick thingy as overheads. They both have low starters. They both have pressure shenanigans. And don't even act like Kang's armor is something to get excited about, it's absolute trash.

And just as a counterpoint to this Liu Kang stuff, Mileena has fared far better in tournament than Liu Kang has, yet she is in B tier--one tier lower than Kang is.
/
the only reason mileena has done more in tourny is because there isn't a lot of high level liu kangs. liu doesn't have shitty armor. just isn't safe most armor isn't safe to throw out. sindel no armor. not really tryin to get into sindel. liu is very good. the only reason mileena has ever done good in tourny is because of the good player using her or players not knowing the mu. mileena is super unsafe.

Death

Noob
sonya>lao, lao really isn't that much of a problem if you KNOW the mu, i'll give him top 5 but sonya is way better than him.
In the MU sonya is a good choice for KL. But think about how each character does vs the top. Sonya has 3 losing MUs in the top 5 while KL pretty much is even or adv vs the best.

Thats a big deal. Sonya does rape the fish characters alot harder than KL does.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
It doesn't matter, Stryker got to see play in top eight at EVO where 80% of the cast has never gotten a chance to. You still have to factor that in the grand scheme of things. You can't just write that off as "whatever" if you're going by tournament matches. Either count them all, or go by a different ranking format. And please name me all of the Kenshi and Freddy players on west coast again? Oh, right. No wonder Liu Kang is so gdlk there. The only times I remember seeing Liu Kang make top eight at majors was at EVO 2012 and MLG Dallas. I never seen such a heart-wrecking match-up in my life until I saw Xblades playing Pig on the main stage. Also MIT opted to switch out of Liu Kang for top eight at Dallas and go with Reptile. It sure convinced me Liu Kang is top. 16 Bit, I know you would love for me to place all characters in top ten that give Kitana trouble, but this is not how a tier list on tournament viability works.
kenshi and freddy beat liu but he is still a good character. does good vs kabal too

Death

Noob
Lao is MUCH riskier than Sonya is as far as specials go.
KL normals are much better than Sonyas too and his mobility is ridiculous. He is top 3 imo. Sonya isnt far behind but I truly think KL is a better tournament character. Just look at how well he does vs the top 5-10. even with kabal, beats kenshi, freddy pretty convincingly. Also does well vs Smoke, Reptile, Mileena, Jax. Sonya/KL could be 5-5 too.

Hes just a tough character to master.

In the MU sonya is a good choice for KL. But think about how each character does vs the top. Sonya has 3 losing MUs in the top 5 while KL pretty much is even or adv vs the best.

Thats a big deal. Sonya does rape the fish characters alot harder than KL does.
lao has more tough mus/ has to deal with dem low hitbox chars. I'm waiting for a sonya player to win a major, or at least top 3 at a big major. I'm playing sonya right now and am well prepared to show what she can do.

Death

Noob
lao has more tough mus/ has to deal with dem low hitbox chars. I'm waiting for a sonya player to win a major, or at least top 3 at a big major. I'm playing sonya right now and am well prepared to show what she can do.
Yeah low hit box characters def make KL more uncomfortable but doesnt mean its automatically a bad MU. He just has to use other tools and other ways to open them up.

Yeah low hit box characters def make KL more uncomfortable but doesnt mean its automatically a bad MU. He just has to use other tools and other ways to open them up.
quite true, i can manage the sonya lao mu myself with lao, just takes stern patience.

KL's mobility means jack shit when he can't physically hit a character unless he does spin. He pokes are useless vs too many chars in the game to be in top 5. If I said he wasn't top 10 it was a troll. Hes in the top 10 but hes definitely not top 5 hes like 7. He and Jax share the same exact problems in the game.

KL's mobility means jack shit when he can't physically hit a character unless he does spin. He pokes are useless vs too many chars in the game to be in top 5. If I said he wasn't top 10 it was a troll. Hes in the top 10 but hes definitely not top 5 hes like 7. He and Jax share the same exact problems in the game.
lao does have issues vs low hitboxs, but to win you are going to have to be super patient and utilize 2,4 and stuff. It isn't easy for sure, but lao can manage.

REO

Undead
Here is why Liu Kang is not "auto top ten":

He has horrible match-ups with the best three characters in the game. Kenshi and Freddy rape him BAD, Kung Lao beats him 6-4. Kabal also beats him 6-4 - Stop this 5-5 propaganda. If you have a BIG hitbox, you are losing vs Kabal. No questions asked. Other characters in the A+ tier group are not all garbage vs the top five like Liu Kang is. At LEAST Kitana beats Kung Lao, at LEAST Reptile beats Kenshi, etc. Please stop overrating this character and calling him auto-top ten just because certain players behind the character make him look better than he really is.

Liu Kang has a bunch of 5-5s and doesn't even excel or rape a lot of characters, why anyone would want to choose him as a main over a majority of other characters if they want to win is beyond me. Also I believe Sonya will become a hard match for Liu Kang in the future. People think that shit is even, but you fail to realize Sonya is more than well equipped to make that match hell for Liu Kang. Sonya's d+4 goes under f+1,2 and she out ranges him in footsies in general. Liu Kang's zoning is a poor-man versions of Kabal's, it is not enough to keep the match 100% even. Liu Kang also has a big hitbox which means Sonya can abuse the shit out of her 3,1,2~ms string. Liu Kang is weak to cross-ups because of his horrible pokes and big hitbox, and he doesn't have an option to shut down Sonya's 50/50 jump-in with dive kick or JIP (like others do, example being KL spin, Freddy NMS, etc.).

This is all why Liu Kang wasn't placed as "auto top ten" in the tier list, and why I and some others agreed he is fine where he is.

He has horrible match-ups with the best three characters in the game. Kenshi and Freddy rape him BAD, Kung Lao beats him 6-4. Kabal also beats him 6-4 - Stop this 5-5 propaganda. If you have a BIG hitbox, you are losing vs Kabal. No questions asked. Other characters in the A+ tier group are not all garbage vs the top five like Liu Kang is. At LEAST Kitana beats Kung Lao, at LEAST Reptile beats Kenshi, etc. Please stop overrating this character and calling him auto-top ten just because certain players behind the character make him look better than he really is.

Liu Kang has a bunch of 5-5s and doesn't even excel or rape a lot of characters, why anyone would want to choose him as a main over a majority of other characters if they want to win is beyond me. Also I believe Sonya will become a hard match for Liu Kang in the future. People think that shit is even, but you fail to realize Sonya is more than well equipped to make that match hell for Liu Kang. Sonya's d+4 goes under f+1,2 and she out ranges him in footsies in general. Liu Kang's zoning is a poor-man versions of Kabal's, it is not enough to keep the match 100% even. Liu Kang also has a big hitbox which means Sonya can abuse the shit out of her 3,1,2~ms string. Liu Kang is weak to cross-ups because of his horrible pokes and big hitbox, and he doesn't have an option to shut down Sonya's 50/50 jump-in with dive kick or JIP (like others do, example being KL spin, Freddy NMS, etc.).

This is all why Liu Kang wasn't placed as "auto top ten" in the tier list, and why I and some others agreed he is fine where he is.
you clearly don't understand liu at the highest lvl, and that is true of about 95% of this community, this is why I want to play your kabal with liu kang, I will change your mind in a heart beat. You think i'm just trying to hype things up about liu vs kabal being 5-5, but i'm dead serious and everyone knows that when i say something, I mean business. You dnt understand how good liu's footsies are, only two regions that have even done anything with him are the WC and texas. the other regions refuse to play him and underestimate him, which leads to them seeing how good liu is when someone actually puts him to use. I'm not going to sit here and let you or anyone else just downplay liu like he is just some average character, but has been top 8 evo TWICE. Just wait till i get to play you, you'll see.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion

it's not easy for sonya. liu can blow up d4s easy. liu can use low fb to go under rings and iafb. only thing she can use is throwing out armor to get in or jumping all not safe vs liu.

i love the misconception alot have of liu, keep thinking in your little dreamworld and reality will hit you hard when a high lvl liu comes along and plays you in tounrnament, that's just that truth. I dnt think the whole community will EVER accept how good liu is.... smh, my win their loss though.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
you clearly don't understand liu at the highest lvl, and that is true of about 95% of this community, this is why I want to play your kabal with liu kang, I will change your mind in a heart beat. You think i'm just trying to hype things up about liu vs kabal being 5-5, but i'm dead serious and everyone knows that when i say something, I mean business. You dnt understand how good liu's footsies are, only two regions that have even done anything with him are the WC and texas. the other regions refuse to play him and underestimate him, which leads to them seeing how good liu is when someone actually puts him to use. I'm not going to sit here and let you or anyone else just downplay liu like he is just some average character, but has been top 8 evo TWICE. Just wait till i get to play you, you'll see.
Atl Redd was blowing people up with him before anyone. Your brother only beat him with subzero at EVO. He was the original and was blowing us up in Atl since startup.

Da fuc outta heeeer

Atl Redd was blowing people up with him before anyone. Your brother only beat him with subzero at EVO. He was the original and was blowing us up in Atl since startup.

Da fuc outta heeeer
dude stop with that, he didn't get top 8 evo and that's just the facts. Also he doesn't even play anymore LMAO, so i dnt want to hear anything about that. He may have played him first in a major, but WC has brought out the highest number of top liu kangs and the list shows: Shoryuken, me, denzell, xblades. I'm not dissing him or anything like that either, just stating the facts. Also me and denzell played online with liu and were number 1 on psn and used him from the game's start, so yeah we have been using him haha.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Why is everyone so loopy about tier lists and how characters are perceived? You guys take this shit waaay too seriously. Tier lists don't help anything, like, they're pretty much pointless. I honestly don't see this in any other game but MK9. This meaning all the top players going crazy over this petty non-sense.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion

Da fuc outta heeeer
only because I didn't want to do a mirror been playin liu since the beginning too just wasn't going to tournies.