What's new

The State of Zoning and Overall Strategy in Mortal Kombat 1

M2Dave

Zoning Master
As of 11/18, the following are my takes on the zoning of certain characters and their miscellaneous tools.

Ashrah – mid-range Goddess and most likely the best character on this list. I honestly have nothing witty to say that you have not read or seen about this character already. Ashrah is ideally paired with Sareena to maximize damage output on combos, enable certain conversions, and gain access to full-screen projectiles, which she lacks in light stance. Dark stance is somewhat unexplored and underutilized so there may be further potential to this character.

Kitana - a surprisingly uncommon character considering her popularity, I believe that Kitana has some of the best zoning and runaway in the game, particularly when paired with Kung Lao. She can easily win zoning wars with EX d,b+3, which allows follow ups on trades, and her fatal blow, which hits from very far away. Kitana's offense, on the other hand, is limited and gimmicky. She has gaps in key strings (i.e., b+2,4 and 2,4), no frame advantage on any normal attacks or strings, and no overheads. While she can arguably win every match up by zoning and playing footsies (as b+2 and 2 have disjointed hitboxes) she may struggle against characters with excellent anti-zoning tools such as Mileena, Omni-Man, and Raiden. For this reason, I believe that she is high mid tier rather than top tier.

Liu Kang – the character with the most intuitive and best traditional zoning on this list. The high and low projectiles combined with the low hat result in some effective zoning. However, the real reason that most tournament players place Liu very high on tier lists is because he is as good up close as he is from far away. He has some strong strings and a back throw that launches when you choose Kung Lao as your kameo, which you always should, so the strike / throw mix is one of the best in the game.

Rain – the "premier zoning character" meme lives on. I like Rain with Sub Zero, who complements Rain's zoning, combos, and set play. Unfortunately, Rain's base zoning toolkit is substandard. While Rain God and water stream are serviceable, water stream and water bubble leave more to be desired. In a post Cyrax meta that has affected every aspect of Rain's offense and defense, I believe that this character is worthy of some meaningful buffs, exclusively to water stream and water bubble in order to remain true to the intended "premier zoning character" design.

Reiko – you have to make a decision with Reiko. The dilemma is choosing zoning over damage, in which case Reiko/Kung Lao or Reiko/Stryker is your team, or choosing damage over zoning, in which case Reiko/Darrius is your team. Top tier characters like Ashrah and Liu Kang do not have to choose one over the other. They offer the complete package with their best kameo. Besides, results have indicated that Reiko/Darrius is the best team, which I consider more of a command grab archetype rather than a zoning one.

Shang Tsung – in theory, most of Shang’s match ups, even the hardest ones, should be around 5:5 because of morphing, which is better than ever in this game. In practice, however, I am not convinced that such is the case. I think Shang is very difficult to use because of morphing and constant stance switching. Some of his conversions are also complicated as a ground skull can bounce your opponent toward or away from you, depending where and how exactly the move hits. Speaking of bouncing, I have seen tier lists in which he is placed top 10, but I have also seen tier lists in which he is placed bottom 10. I suppose the jury is still out on this subject. One thing is certain, though. Shang is most definitely a zoning character, with some of the highest meter-less damage in the game.

Sindel – Initially, Sindel appears like a lesser Liu Kang in the sense that she has a slower high and low projectile, inferior strings, and no extra perks like a launching back throw. However, she does have the best aerial projectile, which, when combined with low hat, creates a potent zoning game. She also has f+1, a long range, disjointed 11 frame high attack that breaks armor. You can easily hit confirm f+1 into scream or cancel into low hat on block to gain an advantage. Sindel is levitated (literally) to top tier because of the set play involved with levitate and low hat. She can juggle with f+4,3, end combos with jumping 2, levitate, jumping 2, f+4, which becomes +60 on an airborne opponent, call Kung Lao for the low hat, and create a hard-to-blockable with levitate and a charged low hat. She can also force the opponent to block b+2 and cancel into levitate while releasing the charged low hat at different intervals as she descends with a jumping attack. This set play is currently considered the best in the game.

Last edited:
Honestly after messing with Kano I was a bit shocked there's not some degenerate nonsense with him and someone with a good projectile, but seems they got around that by giving rekio the only one and Kano horrible bar recovery on everything.

Still, I think there's some zoning. Not injustice/guile/whatever levels, but you can throw up a wall of shit for a bit to slow them down and get damage. It's just not going to last you the round, and I don't feel like there's anyone who really wants to get away from you to setup their gameplan, so much as to just not die hideously to something like johnny (except sub, but that's because he doesn't really do anything up close).

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I’ve seen F0xy projectile zoning a lot with Shang and Kitana. And projectile zoning effectively. And also doing just a very good job at zoning overall and he has excellent spacing. Also saw SonicFox using Rain as well but he doesn’t even seem like a true zoning character like you said. He obviously does have decent zoning tools though. Anyway, it seems like zoning is actually pretty good with certain characters especially when paired with Kung Lao Kameo. The low hat projectile provides SO much utility as it can be used as a zoning tool and a mixup/pressure tool, and it doesn’t cost a lot of Kameo meter and recharges super fast.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I almost made this thread last week but then didn't lol. 100% agree word for word. Game is a Jax-boot fatality step above MK11, but if there's one thing it's lacking it's the overall strength of the archetype.

Other than MKX, which I'll get to later, every NRS game had characters that their win condition was the strength of their zoning. MK9 had Kenshi/Freddy. INJ1 had Zod/Sinestro. Inj2 had the GOAT Dr Fate. MK11 had best character ever made Cetrion. And obviously a couple more in that bundle. MK1 has no one whose win condition is the strength of their zoning, which restricts the playstyles.

In MK1, pretty much the "rush you into chip/mix/high damage/corner" is by far the best meta. Been using Sindel since pre-release, and the more I move away from zoning-heavy play the more I win consistently even if it doesn't necessarily feel like I've improved at the game. Outside of a couple of MUs (only a couple of MUs Sindel can really zone people out half the match with the right Kameo until they switch to Sub Kameo lol), I've switched to Lao kameo for the near-unblockable resets into full screen corner carry etc etc pressure, and have improved more than all of launch combined. It's wild. But it really makes no sense at this point not to use her this way because the pressure game she can put up is unreal, while the zoning is fun but more of a temporary nuisance most of the time for them.

There's definitely a "this is the way it's played" meta. I get it. Clear intentional design imo. You "force" people into bad decisions with zoning, which in a way is the purpose of zoning. But imo it feels like an over-correction from the mass backlash from MK11. Very reminiscent of how MKX was an over-correction to INJ1 game speed. Like if Raiden/Jax or Baraka/Cyrax is a thing, hitting 50-60% 1 bar combos with mass pressure/mix/plus options, then yea give me back my Cetrion. #BuffCetrion

All in all, I think I've only went one day total not playing MK1 (LOL) so I'm definitely enjoying it a ton, but I also think it's fair to wonder if a couple of months later people will start to see it how MKX started to be seen during it's original run. Not the revisionist history MKX but the in-real-time MKX lol.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
There's definitely a "this is the way it's played" meta. I get it. Clear intentional design imo. You "force" people into bad decisions with zoning, which in a way is the purpose of zoning.
Well-said.

Some of the best zoning characters in NRS fighting games have been DLC so there is definitely hope. #InPaoloWeTrust

Who do you guys think are the best zoning teams right now?

I am currently using Reiko/Stryker (Rewind's former team before the Darrius tech). This combination seems high mid tier.

Juggs mentioned Foxy who uses Shang/Kung Lao and Kitana/Sub Zero. Shang/Kung has a hard-to-block setup while Kitana/Sub Zero has a very good runaway game. I am not a fan (pun intended) of Kitana's normal attacks, though.

Sooneo uses Liu Kang/Kung Lao, but I have not seen much of him in casual and tournament games. I believe this team is strong, though.

Balanced zoning characters - have enough projectile power and evasive movement to get some damage from afar on weak players, and strong players have to patiently get through that active obstacle course which puts them in a slightly vulnerable position (zoning character should have weaker striking frames, no combo mixups [potato mixups like reikos throw or his f2 oh are ok])

Imbalanced zoning design- character has projectiles so powerful that good players unable to get through them, examples, deadshot/deathstroke/zod/freddy

No character should ever have such good projectiles that they can literally JUST fire them and win vs good opponents. Just like Anti-Zoning characters need unsafe teleports like Smokes -30, and Grappling characters cant have super safe throws, and rushdown characters have string gaps we can armor through etc. If a character does have that level of zoning they should have no big combo or mixup ability, i used to have 50% combos with deathstroke, freddy had amazing rushdown and antizoning with his phase teleport etc, it doesnt make sense to give rock paper and scissors to one character (ultimate example of that imo is martian manhunter, could teleport/outzone the zoners, could outrushdown the rushers and antizoners, there was no weakness)

Reiko is a great design because hes got a hybrid of all the main categories, and I don’t think any zoning is too OD. Seems like Shang + Motaro would outzone any character in theory because of projectile parry am i wrong?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Well-said.

Some of the best zoning characters in NRS fighting games have been DLC so there is definitely hope. #InPaoloWeTrust

Who do you guys think are the best zoning teams right now?

I am currently using Reiko/Stryker (Rewind's former team before the Darrius tech). This combination seems high mid tier.

Juggs mentioned Foxy who uses Shang/Kung Lao and Kitana/Sub Zero. Shang/Kung has a hard-to-block setup while Kitana/Sub Zero has a very good runaway game. I am not a fan (pun intended) of Kitana's normal attacks, though.

Sooneo uses Liu Kang/Kung Lao, but I have not seen much of him in casual and tournament games. I believe this team is strong, though.
That's a solid team. I've pivoted to Sindel/Lao, because the Rushdown is as close to the "busted" stuff the top tiers do as one can get, and the low hat allows you to zone with insta-air fireball and jump fireball better than most Kameos. If they get too jump happy over fear of hat you'll air hit them into hat into full combo and back to full screen (KL rage inducer lol) so it's as close to the zoning experience I've gotten.

The Foxy Shang/Lao zoning I think is legit. Seeing Foxy with that combo against high level players is what originally made me pick up Lao as a kameo.

I've seen Liu/Lao but I haven't actually seen the Kitana/Sub combo though. I'll have to look that up even just to see what it's offering, and in case I run into it.

Ketchup posted a vid recently of his Rain reaching Elder God with Sektor Kameo. Someone sent it to me to check it out yesterday, it's supposed to have some solid zoning in it, but can't watch it until tonight.

No character should ever have such good projectiles that they can literally JUST fire them and win vs good opponents.
Depending on your definition of this I think there's a lot of examples in healthy games against that. Sure Injustice was a fucking trash fire, but good zoners have been a healthy part of the meta for LOTS of games over the years (and yes also a very unhealthy part when they get out of control).

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It's true that Baraka and Cage players aren't zoning a lot.

Now that we got that out of the way.. Ashrah, Shang, Liu, Mileena, Havik, Reiko are throwing projectiles nonstop. Kenshi is zoning constantly when he's not in Sento stance. As far as characters that are lesser-played. Sindel, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Kitana are all throwing something continuously. Sonic zones a lot with Rain.

Then you can add to that Kameos that also zone. Sooneo, the best zoner for 3 straight games, for example uses Stryker Kameo with his character's FB and zones constantly.

I think people seem to not be familiar with how zoning works in footsie/neutral-based games. In SF6, for example, JP players have to play footsies. They can't just mindlessly spam and hope to beat high-level players that way. In Street Fighter projectiles trade, there's usually some kind of copious armor or focus-style attack that goes through projectiles, a bunch of characters have projectile-invulnerable moves, etc. You're always one jump, dash, or special away from disaster.

Obviously it's different in air mobility-based games like anime games, where you have air dashes, can block in the air, have double and triple dashes, characters that basically fly, and all kinds of other mechanics designed to help you get around "Bullet hell"-style characters. But this is not an anime game (neither is SF6), and the mechanics are very different.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
The combination of movement/dash speed, advancing armored specials, advancing specials galore, tiny screen size, and tiny level size leaves zoning in a bit of a predicament baseline. However, there are players like F0xy who have already made other top tier players extremely salty with his Kitana/Sub and Shang/Lao duos. He utilizes a combination of keep-away, hit and run, and sudden aggression to outplay opponents. However, the zoning itself always appears to be a piece of the puzzle as opposed to the overall game plan. Zoning is to be utilized to scare, chip away, keep out, and frustrate opponents until you have to swap to playing the MK1 meta of setups, pressure, chip, and giga combos. Gone are the days of the IAGB and Zod-style zoning that completely warps a matchup fundamentally and can be used to win with literally no other interactions during a round if desired.

And to be honest, this is mostly fine by me even as a Kitana player. There's an ebb and flow to using zoning as a viable tactic; and as @CrimsonShadow said, there's still gotta be a lot of footsies involved. It's going to be extremely rare that a zoning-heavy character can get by on projectiles and keepaway alone. However, I do feel that the change to allowing dash cancels (which is a positive change imo) wasn't handled super well as no changes to screen size or level size occurred to compensate for how lightning fast everyone can move now.

Overall, I find zoning to be mostly adequate in its current state save for maybe aerial projectiles' high recovery and some typical NRS outliers because they can't seem to help themselves in giving non-zoning brawler characters insane projectiles. Zoning isn't overly matchup-warping (except maybe Shang), but adequate.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
As far as characters that are lesser-played. Sindel, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Kitana are all throwing something continuously.
Yes, those characters are "lesser played" for a reason. LOL. Just because you are "throwing something continuously" does not mean that the strategy is effective or on equal terms to other strategies.

Case in point, check out this Kombat League set between Ninja Killer and Foxy.

Although Ninja Killer finds the zoning and runaway game irritating, which strikes me as hypocritical considering that he is using a character who has a teleport and 50%+ bread and better combos, he keeps saying "All I need is a touch to win", which goes back to my initial argument that zoning is outclassed by the high damage output, the set play, and the chip damage that the top tier characters have access to. What is the zoning equivalent of Raiden teleporting behind you and punishing you for 45% after you "throw something continuously?" You seem to be implying that the zoning is on equal terms, which is inaccurate.

Gone are the days of the IAGB and Zod-style zoning that completely warps a matchup fundamentally and can be used to win with literally no other interactions during a round if desired.
But the days are not. JP and Guile can win certain rounds without ever coming face-to-face with their opponents, which is why Crimson's example does not apply. I am not comparing JP and Guile to Freddy or Zod, but I am doing is comparing Street Fighter 6's zoning to Mortal Kombat 1's, and the former's is obviously more effective and, more importantly, more balanced in terms of the zoning versus offense in the game.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Literally every single MK since MK9 NRS has had to listen to people going on and on about how zoning in NRS games are to strong and it ruins the game... they then make mk1, make zoning strong (many viable zoning options), but not insane like normal and people still complain.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Literally every single MK since MK9 NRS has had to listen to people going on and on about how zoning in NRS games are to strong and it ruins the game... they then make mk1, make zoning strong (many viable zoning options), but not insane like normal and people still complain.
I don’t see much complaining. @M2Dave’s first sentence was said mainly in jest, hence the doge emote.

Talking about and stating the effectiveness of a certain playstyle like zoning in the current game doesn’t mean you’re “complaining” imo.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
People's perception is wrong about NRS games because incessant hatred for zoning, mostly perpetrated by casual players, who comprise a much larger fanbase in the NRS community than in any other fighting game community, dictate the narrative.

In reality, Mortal Kombat 9 was dominated by Kabal (a versatile character who can pass as any character archetype), Cyrax (a "touch of death" character), and Kenshi (a broken mid-range zoning character, indeed). The rest of the top 10 included everything from oppressive zoning (Freddy) to nonstop pressure (Cage) to auto footsies and armor (Sonya) to an anti-zoning God and runaway character (Smoke), etc.

The two best characters in Injustice 1 ended up being Martial Manhunter and Batgirl, the former who has a safe overhead teleport (and much, much, much more) and the latter who belongs in Mortal Kombat X. Speaking of which, Mortal Kombat X's meta is self-explanatory, which some people, some of whom may still be active to this day on TYM, initially praised as the series' "return to footsies". LOL.

I agree that Injustice 2 played too slow and contained some zoning characters who (rightfully so) gave people PTSD (i.e., pre-patch Captain Cold and Deadshot as well as final-patch Atom, Dr. Fate, and Starfire). There were some strong footsies and offensive characters (i.e., Batman, Catwoman, Hellboy, etc.), though.

I would like as many playstyle involved in the meta as possible. The majority of players, including lots of tournament players, do not want zoning being a part of the meta, though. This absence, zoning or otherwise, makes a fighting game boring.

I have an antizoning playstyle so i have to ask, what is it like in premier zoner mirror matches? That seems like a good judge for whether a move is balanced, Deadshot mirrors mustve been not fun

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
100% Agree.

I think chip damage will ultimate receive a nerf if not meter gain, but who is to say we won't get a Kameo that gives Meter or increases chip damage? Speaking of Kameos. I think NO Kameo should be nerfed atm outside of health properties. It's clear that some of the Health choices are not the greatest cough Motaro cough

Cyrax should lower health by 100, whereas Motaro increases it by 100 for example. I think some Kameos should be looked at in terms of meter usage as well. For example, holding Lao Buzz Saw should cost more Kameo gauge. It blows my mind that we have Kameos like Sonya who need to fully charge a projectile, take the entire kameo bar, just for a mid projectile that doesn't lead to a combo on hit.

Hot Take: Reiko is actually the game's best zoner because his projectile has fast recovery, covers lots of space, breaks armor and anti projectile moves, and does nice chip.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
100% Agree.

I think chip damage will ultimate receive a nerf if not meter gain, but who is to say we won't get a Kameo that gives Meter or increases chip damage? Speaking of Kameos. I think NO Kameo should be nerfed atm outside of health properties. It's clear that some of the Health choices are not the greatest cough Motaro cough

Cyrax should lower health by 100, whereas Motaro increases it by 100 for example. I think some Kameos should be looked at in terms of meter usage as well. For example, holding Lao Buzz Saw should cost more Kameo gauge. It blows my mind that we have Kameos like Sonya who need to fully charge a projectile, take the entire kameo bar, just for a mid projectile that doesn't lead to a combo on hit.

Hot Take: Reiko is actually the game's best zoner because his projectile has fast recovery, covers lots of space, breaks armor and anti projectile moves, and does nice chip.
When you hold lao’s low hat it does take more kameo meter. It’s actually very similar to Sonya’s in terms of operation and recharge time.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
When you hold lao’s low hat it does take more kameo meter. It’s actually very similar to Sonya’s in terms of operation and recharge time.
Ah, then its probably that the kameo gauge is back by the end of it so quickly that's the problem.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Ah, then its probably that the kameo gauge is back by the end of it so quickly that's the problem.
Sonya shot and Lao low hat have the exact same recharge time.

I agree Lao’s is better as a low, but they’re the same from that aspect haha.

rifraf

Noob
In MK1, pretty much the "rush you into chip/mix/high damage/corner" is by far the best meta.
It's still early days in the game's life. None of us knows how to play the game yet, that's mainly why offence is more effective. I'd suggest for everyone to keep an open mind, and as long they're having fun, keep playing. Give it another month or so and we'll have a much better view on what's what.

Sonya shot and Lao low hat have the exact same recharge time.

I agree Lao’s is better as a low, but they’re the same from that aspect haha.
speaking of kameo laos hat,its super annoying that it doesnt go away on hit.

example,a player does a projectile and calls lao hat and holds it,i read it and jump over,land my jump in punch,and then i get hit buy the dumbass hat and combo-ed,iif the hat is not let go,and you get hit,it should go away imo

NHDR

Noob
Bear in mind I'm still learning the game, but my initial impression is that fireball zoning is strong BUT at the same time you won't be able to win rounds just by throwing plasma in the corner.

I main Reiko, and his fireball (regular and EX) is quite good - maybe the best. Hopefully its not nerfed. I've also watched a ton of tournaments as of late, and it seems like Kitana can zone effectively, as can Li Mei and Shang Tsung. Then there are some other characters, like Mileena, that I am still learning about and don't have an opinion on yet.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
It's true that Baraka and Cage players aren't zoning a lot.

Now that we got that out of the way.. Ashrah, Shang, Liu, Mileena, Havik, Reiko are throwing projectiles nonstop. Kenshi is zoning constantly when he's not in Sento stance. As far as characters that are lesser-played. Sindel, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Kitana are all throwing something continuously. Sonic zones a lot with Rain.

Then you can add to that Kameos that also zone. Sooneo, the best zoner for 3 straight games, for example uses Stryker Kameo with his character's FB and zones constantly.

I think people seem to not be familiar with how zoning works in footsie/neutral-based games. In SF6, for example, JP players have to play footsies. They can't just mindlessly spam and hope to beat high-level players that way. In Street Fighter projectiles trade, there's usually some kind of copious armor or focus-style attack that goes through projectiles, a bunch of characters have projectile-invulnerable moves, etc. You're always one jump, dash, or special away from disaster.

Obviously it's different in air mobility-based games like anime games, where you have air dashes, can block in the air, have double and triple dashes, characters that basically fly, and all kinds of other mechanics designed to help you get around "Bullet hell"-style characters. But this is not an anime game (neither is SF6), and the mechanics are very different.
This is probably the anti-post of what I think, as it is the exact opposite in every way of what I think is true lol. Some things I think are just downright wrong such as "Kenshi is zoning constantly when not in Sento Stance" and Reptile "throwing something continuously". Kenshi is strongest when Sento is evaporating your life bar, not when he's zoning. That's just wild.

But beyond all that, I think more importantly you missed the point. Zoning as an effective playstyle within itself, is almost non-existent in MK1. There is no Cetrion here. For example, there are 23 characters in the game. Which character(s) win condition is the strength of their zoning? In fact, you can flip it to grapplers as well, and ask which grappler(s) win condition is the strength of their grappling? Then after answering, ask, which characters win condition is based on the strength of their pressure/mix/damage. You'll get massively ratio'd. And I don't really buy the argument of "Cetrion should never exist" when I'm out here fighting the Raiden/Jax and Baraka/Cyrax players daily.

You mention SF6, but that is just, a bad example. Characters like Guile, JP, and Sim have MUs where they absolutely brutalize characters by zoning them out to victory. MK1 has nothing like Sim vs Zangief or Guile vs Lily, etc. But in reverse, you also have offensive God's like Ken with MUs where characters are equally brutalized.

MKX is the only comparable game where the playstyles are this streamlined. Every other NRS game had much more variance in their character's win condition. Kenshi/Cyrax/Sonya were top tier and played nothing alike, representing polar opposite styles. You had MMH/Zod/Batgirl/Flash/Bane who were nothing alike. Etc etc, except again, for MKX.

Fortunately this game is light-years better than MKX could ever dream of being, but I think it's a very fair statement to see the game has been intentionally designed around heavy offensive pressure being the win condition of pretty much the entire cast. Zoning at best is like a mosquito bite, and pressure is like being eaten by a shark. That doesn't necessarily mean it's the "wrong" decision, as we need more time to feel it out and the actual foundation of the game is 10/10, but it is pretty apparent nonetheless.

It's still early days in the game's life. None of us knows how to play the game yet, that's mainly why offence is more effective. I'd suggest for everyone to keep an open mind, and as long they're having fun, keep playing. Give it another month or so and we'll have a much better view on what's what.
Yea mostly agree. It's the best game since GOAT INJ1 to me, so they got almost everything right I'd say. But I think the effective playstyle is obvious. Been around long enough to remember MKX and people saying "just wait, let it develop more, Cyber Kano is secret Top Tier, Kung Jin is low tier", only for the game to play exactly as we all saw it play LOL. Even if they nerf Baraka/Cyrax 60% 1 bar combos tomorrow, I don't think that means out of nowhere we will get Cetrion and Freddy playstyle zoning at the top of the meta. We'll just get new character combinations discovered that will emerge with a different offensive dominance for this meta, as there is always a "top" tier in any game.

And tbh there are already lots of character/Kameo combinations not getting much light that are VERY strong imo, because everyone is focused on the "top 4". So I think it will continue to develop, but the playstyles will remain streamlined into how to break your opponent down up close as the most effective way to win, unless we get some Cetrion DLC or something.