What's new

The remaining character reveals: Let's play the logic game.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I'm bored.

In lieu of all these MK9 character reveals I got to thinking about who else could make the cut. I wanted to approach it logically and dispel all this Khrome, Tremor bullshit and get to who might legitimately make the cut.

I feel like you have to consider the current, rebooted story line, and the more serious, less ridiculous direction NRS is likely to take. They seem intent on erasing most of the history after MK4 because lets be honest, it was terrible. This especially includes erasing the terrible characters that came after (e.g. Havik, stupid name, stupid character). So logically you have to pick characters that will pertain to the new direction, and characters that have already been hinted at.

MK9 characters that will possibly return:

Liu Kang (If you seriously think he'll have nothing to do with MKX you should stop reading now)
Johnny Cage (Possibly Playable)
Mileena (Comics have already stated she's important in this universe)
Nightwolf (The anti thesis to Quan Chi. Possible resurrector and holder of a bow in Boon's pic.)
Cyrax (Fan favorite and part of the Lin Kuei future. Good robot)
Noob (Ed's namesake, and Quan Chi butt buddy.)
Smoke ( Another Fan Fav and good guy. Died in MK9, a maybe in my book.)
Sektor ( anti thesis to Cyrax. Almost cant have one without the other. Ketchup would be pissed)
Sonya (Possibly Playable)
Jax (Possibly Playable)
Shang Tsung (This guy is always at the center of the good MK stories. Highly probable)

MK4:

Kai (Part of White Lotus, therefore possible to see because of ties to Raiden, Kung Lao and Liu Kang)
Jarek (Last of the Black Dragon. Kano is in, and it's the future. Definitely a possibility.)
Fujin (High probability. Already featured in comics. Strong ties to Raiden.)
Reiko (Shinnok's General. Depending on Shinnoks involvement in this game considering Shinnok was at the end of MK9. Low probability.)
Shinnok (Unless NRS is keen on just forgetting about the way MK9 ended, we WILL see this character)

MK-DA:

Bo Rai Cho (Seen in MK9. Could be a very interesting concept character to put in the game. Strong ties to Kung Lao and Liu Kang)

Let's be honest. The rest of the characters from MK-DA deal with the "future" of MK in that timeline and probably wont make the cut.
Kenshi and Frost are possibilities due to being in the comic, but I kind of doubt their inclusion. Kenshi was added to give us Takeda, and Frost is a Jobber for Cassie to kill in the comics. Still a maybe for those 2.

MK: Deception:

This game went full retard. I believe this is exactly what NRS is trying to forget. I find it highly unlikely that any new character added to this game will make it into MKX.

With this in mind I believe there will still be a couple of brand new kombatants. Erron Black might be proof of that as well as the fact that NRS probably wouldn't blow their whole load right away with new characters.

Using the same logic (and not your hearts), what do you guys think? If you feel I've missed something please share and explain why. Remember, this is just for fun. No one is right or wrong.

Edit: My personal thought on who the remaining 11 playable characters are.

Liu Kang
Mileena
Nightwolf
Shang Tsung
Fujin
Shinnok
Bo Rai Cho
Jacqui
Erron Black
Takeda
Another New character

Last edited:

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
Damn i like the MKD chars.
Well do you think that Kintaro could also make a cut since he has strong ties with goro?

I agree with Amplified$hotz, there's gonna be at least one robot in it, and it's not going to be CSZ. It could be Sektor and Cyrax, but I think it could be Smoke.

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
Anyone else think its likely that if characters like Johnny Jax or Sonya are in they're alternative costumes will be younger / older versions of them, for instance Sonya's costume 1 is Sonya from just after MK9 and her costume 2 is Sonya from 15-25 years later in the story, I personally think its a possibly and I think it would be cool :D

Lo0py

Noob
Anyone else think its likely that if characters like Johnny Jax or Sonya are in they're alternative costumes will be younger / older versions of them, for instance Sonya's costume 1 is Sonya from just after MK9 and her costume 2 is Sonya from 15-25 years later in the story, I personally think its a possibly and I think it would be cool :D
I would like that yeah!

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I think the Black Dragon just needs more members at this point, if not Jarek maybe a new character?
Well there's always Kabal...

I'm having a hard time coming up with a logical reason as to why Kano is even in the game. I guess time will tell. My logic is this though...You have 24-30 characters to put in your game and you have a wealth of characters to use. Do you put in Jarek? He was only in MK4 (I dont count MK:A). Why put him in MKX? Clearly they didnt care for the character that much.

This all sounds pretty logical too me. I'm scared smoke won't make the cut. He was my dawg in MK9. If he doesn't make it, I need my boy Liu and I'm pretty sure Liu will make it. He's too much of an integral part of the story to just toss out at this point and considering being dead doesn't mean shit, I think he'll come back for this one.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I agree with Amplified$hotz, there's gonna be at least one robot in it, and it's not going to be CSZ. It could be Sektor and Cyrax, but I think it could be Smoke.
Yeah but having Cyrax without Sektor is weird imo. I thought they'd either bring the two or get a new robot all together.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
I know you're cutting through the bullshit stuff, but it seems pretty logical that a couple characters from the MKX comic will probably be making it in.

Like Jacqui and Erron Black. Jacqui seems to be a main-ish character, would work in the story as companion/ally for Cassie, basically it would make sense if they were the new Jax and Sonya. Erron Black I just have a weird feeling about as his character design in the comic is kinda detailed, yet they've not mentioned much about him yet. I got this weird vibe they liked Deathstroke's design so much in Injustice that they want another Gun & Nades type character.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I know you're cutting through the bullshit stuff, but it seems pretty logical that a couple characters from the MKX comic will probably be making it in.

Like Jacqui and Erron Black. Jacqui seems to be a main-ish character, would work in the story as companion/ally for Cassie, basically it would make sense if they were the new Jax and Sonya. Erron Black I just have a weird feeling about as his character design in the comic is kinda detailed, yet they've not mentioned much about him yet. I got this weird vibe they liked Deathstroke's design so much in Injustice that they want another Gun & Nades type character.
Erron Black will probably be in. Bet he's a jobber.

I should have added this to my OP...I think Jacqui has a strong possibility of making it because Jax is old, and black characters are needed. Jax will probably take a back seat with Johnny and Sonya and be in the game, but not playable. Althought I wouldnt put it past NRS to disappoint us and make all 3 playable. I mean comeon...Scorpion, Batgirl, Zod, Freddy, Kratos, etc...

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
MK: Deception:

This game went full retard. I believe this is exactly what NRS is trying to forget. I find it highly unlikely that any new character added to this game will make it into MKX.
I disagree with one point and kind of agree with another. I've got a theory, so take it as that...

I couldn't disagree more with the notion that they're trying to forget MKD (and MKDA, for that matter). The resemblance of MKX to MKD is truly striking to me.

You have the art and the more serious and dark tone. You have the three variations which is an extension of the three fight stances. Even down to the awesome renders during load screens. So much is reminiscent of MKD that I don't think you can deny the influence.

Also, to speculate, MKD seems to me to be the last MK that Boon really wanted to make from inception. Midway was struggling and they released MKA which was like a compilation and then MKDC which felt like a cash-grab to keep them afloat.

In the meantime you heard Boon in interviews talking about this future MK game that would be dark and gritty as hell. He looked at Gears of War and said that's the look he wants MK to have. Well WB took over and the previous few years lost a lot of players, so they go for the big reboot idea with MK9. It works great and MK is back in the forefront again.

Now Boon can finally get to the MK he's been wanting to make for a long time. First time since MKD is my speculation.
----------------

But as far as returning characters... I tend to agree that we likely won't see them. Because, again like MKD, they're big on bringing in brand new characters. We haven't seen but four, but still going by what they said in the beginning, there should be several new faces.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I disagree with one point and kind of agree with another. I've got a theory, so take it as that...

I couldn't disagree more with the notion that they're trying to forget MKD (and MKDA, for that matter). The resemblance of MKX to MKD is truly striking to me.

You have the art and the more serious and dark tone. You have the three variations which is an extension of the three fight stances. Even down to the awesome renders during load screens. So much is reminiscent of MKD that I don't think you can deny the influence.

Also, to speculate, MKD seems to me to be the last MK that Boon really wanted to make from inception. Midway was struggling and they released MKA which was like a compilation and then MKDC which felt like a cash-grab to keep them afloat.

In the meantime you heard Boon in interviews talking about this future MK game that would be dark and gritty as hell. He looked at Gears of War and said that's the look he wants MK to have. Well WB took over and the previous few years lost a lot of players, so they go for the big reboot idea with MK9. It works great and MK is back in the forefront again.

Now Boon can finally get to the MK he's been wanting to make for a long time. First time since MKD is my speculation.
----------------

But as far as returning characters... I tend to agree that we likely won't see them. Because, again like MKD, they're big on bringing in brand new characters. We haven't seen but four, but still going by what they said in the beginning, there should be several new faces.
brother