What's new

The Official Souls Forum (Demon/DS1/DS2)

BaronVonRupert

"Mere child's play."
So I'm stuck on smelter demon.. Any ideas? I am SL 99 vit 24 end 22 start 22 Dex 30 str 30 I am a physical build most likely going for str beyond this point to lvl 120
good roll dodging is key to this boss. if you get your agility to 96 that should help on that front.
using flash sweat, small orange burrs, flame quartz ring and alonne knight/captain sets should soften the blow should you get hit. just get some resin from vengarl and punish his 3 hit combos after you dodge. when he does the flame core use a lifegem after taking some damage and stay close; it should counteract the constant damage.
otherwise, as legend said, you could just go through the room that had the flame inside of it and go up the ladders to skip him. you'll miss the ring of blades +1 and smelter specific stuff as well as a bonfire checkpoint.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Calibration v1.04 notes;

• Throwing motion for Acid Urns changed to heavy throwing motion; effects of acid toned down.

• Durability of Twin Blade category improved.

• Moonlight Great Sword revised to be non-enchantable, attack speed reduced.

• Gyrm Warrior’s Greathelm weight, poise and defense increased.

• Ring of Thorns damage reduced.

• Old Sun Ring damage reduced.

• Soul Spear and Crystal Soul Spear revised to pierce and damage multiple enemies.

• Soul Great Sword casting time revised.

• Stamina reduction (on enemy) of Homing Soul Mass, Homing Crystal Soul Mass and Affinity reduced and bullet speed increased.

• Soul Geyser damage reduced.

• Healing spell casting speed adjusted to be slower.

• Wrath of God damage effect period shortened.

• Firestorm, Fire Tempest, Chaos Storm, Flame Swathe and Forbidden Sun damages reduced.

• Firestorm, Fire Tempest and Chaos Storm duration time increased.

• Defense of Lucatiel, Bellclaire, Benhart and Tark increased.

• Health of exploding undead reduced.

• Homing capability of spells casted by White Undead Sorcers and Amana Priestesses reduced.

• Fire ball spitting frequency of Fire Lizards reduced.

• Shockwave duration period caused by the attacks of Hammer Wielders (probably ones in Earthen Peak?) reduced.

• Last Giant damage reduced.

• Lost Sinner health and damage reduced.

• Royal Rat Authority damage reduced.

• Duke’s Dear Freja’s laser breath damage reduced.

• NG+ Lost Sinner pyromancers health and damage reduced.

• NG+ Flexile Sentry shadow assassins health and damage reduced.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
So I'm stuck on smelter demon.. Any ideas? I am SL 99 vit 24 end 22 start 22 Dex 30 str 30 I am a physical build most likely going for str beyond this point to lvl 120
I have done this boss first try twice now. Get lifegems, his swings are all easily dodged so the only thing you get hurt from is the flame jets, and lifegems will heal through that. He always swings twice, and sometimes a third, and if he jumps in the air he will stab his sword into the floor and burst an AOE spell that can 1 shot you, so run away when ever he jumps.

Just play it cool and dont rush, dodging his sword is the only thing that you can die from here if you suck on lifegems throughout.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
90% of these pve nerfs are so undeserved
PvE needed buffs if anything, only 2 or 3 parts of the game i have to stop and kill like 1 annoying enemy, shrine of amana was doable without nerfs so thats the only place people would be upset about.

All the bosses, including NG+ Sinner are completely fine, and i think on NG most of them should have their poise raised and magic resistances increased.

Whats funny is i can already consistently roll backstab Soul Greatsword, and now its slower with more recovery and does less damage.... deals!

ryumanjisen

I only work in black,sometimes in very dark grey.
The only changes I can agree with are making the MLS non-enchantable and the damage nerf to forbidden sun (that spell is "retardedly" good)

Currently in NG+, solo'd Flexile Sentry and Sentinels with my glass canon Hex mage. The Sentinels aren't easy when you die in one hit and don't have access to a 100% physical shield. I had to take out my ring that halves my HP for that fight, which made me feel like I failed as a pure glass canon. I was really hoping to beat the Sentinels without getting hit once but I just couldn't do it.

Kinda disappointed that they nerfed the Lost Sinner. I was hoping to at least try to solo her in NG+.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Currently in NG+, solo'd Flexile Sentry and Sentinels with my glass canon Hex mage. The Sentinels aren't easy when you die in one hit and don't have access to a 100% physical shield. I had to take out my ring that halves my HP for that fight, which made me feel like I failed as a pure glass canon. I was really hoping to beat the Sentinels without getting hit once but I just couldn't do it.

Kinda disappointed that they nerfed the Lost Sinner. I was hoping to at least try to solo her in NG+.
Just gotta learn to dodge the Sentinels and be patient. I beat them at SL1 on my first try. It just takes awhile because you have very little openings and when you do get openings, it's not for very long.

All the PvE nerfs are retarded. The MLGS speed nerf is unwarranted as well.

LEGEND

YES!
Ring of thorns nerf is nice, but it will probably still be broken. Shouldn't deal any damage to begin with, a combo breaker is good enough

Wish they would have adjusted infusions and buff scaling

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Ring of thorns nerf is nice, but it will probably still be broken. Shouldn't deal any damage to begin with, a combo breaker is good enough

Considering the way stun locking works for 2 MAYBE 3 hits this would be a nice change. I'd have no issue with ring of thorns having the shockwave/force effect.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

Dude I wish I had Kirk's armour so I could chip the shit out of ppl

Anyone else doing or planning on doing a SL1 playthrough? I'm pretty far right now, but what's the stance on summoning people/npc's? I figure it's frowned upon in a SL1 playthrough, since the point is to challenge yourself. Also, at SL1, I summoned a guy who was SL73. Does multiplayer work only with soul memory now? Are levels not even taken into consideration? If so, I will have to continue my SL1 playthrough offline.

Anyway, using a Raw Broadsword right now. It's the best weapon, outside of a mace, that I can use. I really have only found 3 weapons I can use... other than those two it's a dagger. And the other two you have to two hand, but I two hand 99% of the time anyway in regular playthroughs. I had just a regular broadsword at +3 all the way up until I got the dull ember. I didn't want to waste any titanite on it since I was going to infuse it. Little did I know, that when you make a raw weapon, it doesn't affect the "+" that is already on the weapon. So I could've had a +7 the entire time, lol.

The playthough isn't too bad as of right now. Some really annoying parts, and still deciding on whether I should go naked or just wear light armor. Both seem to have their advantages. Wish you could buy infinite poison throwing knives, they definitely came in handy against the two giants (from which you get the forgotten key). Also, still deciding if I wanna do an all bosses run for this. There's some bosses, like the chariot, that I absolutely despise and definitely don't even wanna attempt at SL1.

I wonder if there's any SL1 Arena type PvP...
Gavlan sells unlimited poison knives, resins and poison arrows. But I think he only has unlimited stock once he's at Doors of Pharros.

I don't know how I feel about doing a SL1 playthrough. Since skill and gear always matters more than your level anyway. Honestly I think it's harder to beat the game at SL100 but with low level and not upgraded gear. A SL1 using Pyromancy Flame +10 can still one shot or two shot a lot of things for example. And even without pyromancy there's the throwables like you mentioned. Poison Knives and Bombs are all you need at SL1 to beat anything in the game lol. They are especially good because you can spam them and they don't drain your stamina.

vs a lot of enemies and bosses, one Black Firebomb does more damage than my Soul Spear at SL150... And I have 60 INT.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Gavlan sells unlimited poison knives, resins and poison arrows. But I think he only has unlimited stock once he's at Doors of Pharros.

I don't know how I feel about doing a SL1 playthrough. Since skill and gear always matters more than your level anyway. Honestly I think it's harder to beat the game at SL100 but with low level and not upgraded gear. A SL1 using Pyromancy Flame +10 can still one shot or two shot a lot of things for example. And even without pyromancy there's the throwables like you mentioned. Poison Knives and Bombs are all you need at SL1 to beat anything in the game lol. They are especially good because you can spam them and they don't drain your stamina.

vs a lot of enemies and bosses, one Black Firebomb does more damage than my Soul Spear at SL150... And I have 60 INT.
Didn't even know he shows up at the doors of pharros. Is it after certain requirements?

SL1 is still tough. And you need the northern ritual band to use pyromancy, and you only get one slot so I'm not even using it right now. The firebombs, knives and shit are nice, but they don't make the run, just make it easier.

Didn't even know he shows up at the doors of pharros. Is it after certain requirements?

SL1 is still tough. And you need the northern ritual band to use pyromancy, and you only get one slot so I'm not even using it right now. The firebombs, knives and shit are nice, but they don't make the run, just make it easier.
The only requirement is that you talk to him. He first appears at No-Man's Wharf. Then he goes to Harvest Valley. Then once you talk to him there he permanently moves to Doors of Pharros with his gyrm brothers.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Can one of you please do this

Infuse a manslayer with poison and another random katana

power stance them see how many hits it takes to poison someone.

Looking to make an inventory setup like this

Lightning washing pole +10
Poison manslayer + 10
-

Dark transgressor shield +10 ( 100% resist to both magic and hex )
Poiaon parrying dagger/ Poison weapon in general
Raw old whip +10

I really wish from would bring back the old katana bleed afflictions where constant katana pressure could force bleeding and was viable and plagued status, babys tooth was such an awesome weapon because of plague, hp loss and decreased stamina recovery.

LEGEND

YES!
i have a character that runs 2 poison spotted whips and a poison Manslayer.

Usually takes 3 hits of either weapon to poison someone. Though the dual Whips have poisoned on one power stanced attack. It will all depend on your opponent's resistances and the time between each hit, since the status bar is always recovering

Dual Manslayers seems excessive. If they don't poison most builds in one power attack then they probably aren't worth it, and they weight of the Washing pole and shield will probably make you too slow to chase some builds down. The washing pole alone weighs as much as my whole weapon set (short bow, Manslayer, 2x whips)

poison builds always want to be light so you can stay on top of your opponent

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
i have a character that runs 2 poison spotted whips and a poison Manslayer.

Usually takes 3 hits of either weapon to poison someone. Though the dual Whips have poisoned on one power stanced attack. It will all depend on your opponent's resistances and the time between each hit, since the status bar is always recovering

Dual Manslayers seems excessive. If they don't poison most builds in one power attack then they probably aren't worth it, and they weight of the Washing pole and shield will probably make you too slow to chase some builds down. The washing pole alone weighs as much as my whole weapon set (short bow, Manslayer, 2x whips)

poison builds always want to be light so you can stay on top of your opponent
washing pole is my main weapon, manslayers will be used in the sense of running attack combo into a power stance hit.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
isn't all poison damage the same?
I believe that duration is increased if you upgrade and through infusion, that might just be the build up though.

How many damage do you do with poison during the duration of it? 500? Is it worth poisoning someone then spamming running attacks with washing so they're forced to roll everything as they're poisoned?

LEGEND

YES!
I believe that duration is increased if you upgrade and through infusion, that might just be the build up though.

How many damage do you do with poison during the duration of it? 500? Is it worth poisoning someone then spamming running attacks with washing so they're forced to roll everything as they're poisoned?
i just looked it up and it says poison does about roughly 1,000 damage total, which sounds about right since from my experience they'll lose about 50-60% of their health bar. Doesn't say anything about different levels of poison damage, and i don't think there is any way to inflict toxic

My poison build is my most effective PvP character (well, aside from my MGS caster. But that doesn't count) so i'd say its very much worth it

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
i just looked it up and it says poison does about roughly 1,000 damage total, which sounds about right since from my experience they'll lose about 50-60% of their health bar. Doesn't say anything about different levels of poison damage, and i don't think there is any way to inflict toxic

My poison build is my most effective PvP character (well, aside from my MGS caster. But that doesn't count) so i'd say its very much worth it
What is your fighting routine on inflicting poison?

I'm extremely succesful with the washing pole controling spaces so well and running in with delayed attacks to catch rolls, if I could poison them in the proccess that'd be tight.