What's new

The Official Souls Forum (Demon/DS1/DS2)

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Ok, sweeeeet bro. This has happened to me on multiple occasions (accidentally mind you), and I've always been befuddled on wtf went down.

Which part of Los Angeles are ye located at mate? South Pas over here. :cool:

Impose

A Call For Blood
i must be confusing the hp between dks and ds, i dont use mothers so my calcs could be wrong, doesnt a standard build have 1,2k on minimum competitive vit? i assumed no mothers cuz i dont use it but its still abused to hell im guessin

almost double, like 300-400 hp off
It's actually about 1000 off xD But I get your point

And no generally the minimum life players shoot for is mid 1500s.
MoM isn't banned in tournaments, but a lot of people kind of frown on it's use. Most of us heckle people that use it in a good natured way.

Ok, sweeeeet bro. This has happened to me on multiple occasions (accidentally mind you), and I've always been befuddled on wtf went down.

Which part of Los Angeles are ye located at mate? South Pas over here. :cool:
I live south of LA actually. Mission Viejo

I live right next to Howies Game Shack (you may have heard of this place not sure)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
It's actually about 1000 off xD But I get your point

And no generally the minimum life players shoot for is mid 1500s.
MoM isn't banned in tournaments, but a lot of people kind of frown on it's use. Most of us heckle people that use it in a good natured way.

I live south of LA actually. Mission Viejo

I live right next to Howies Game Shack (you may have heard of this place not sure)
mom is retarded imo, you cant give away something so valuable in those numbers

they should make armour useful instead of making 2 useless masks and one that 99% of ppl wear.

why doesnt this game have offline arena pvp mode after you beat the game a fe times i dont understand

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Ahhhh we should some casuals sometime, MK that is.

Do ye drive? Krayzie's hosting some pre-SCR invitationals in the next 2 wks.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Impose I was trying to say earlier that supposedly the speed of the katana swing was slightly increased. I remember getting into a back and forth with this dude about how the only way to fight against the DWGR is to use the DWGR and that made pvp boring as shit. Getting outrun by someone in full havel shouldn't be allowed.

I'll be the first to say I'm not that great at pvp, as I was one of those people who hung out in the forest and tried getting my friend in there so we could farm. Don't do that much anymore since the dlc though. It almost feels less populated, but that could be the aging of the game as well. Now with the inclusion of dark magic I feel winning at casual pvp is that much harder.

I joined the DsS forum(is that the right acronym?) for a time, but I only really posted once or twice about people jumping me when I dropped the red sign. As such I'm not familiar with these tournament players. Perhaps its time I joined the DS forums and tried partaking in one of these tournaments...

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
hah, just had perfect cooperation after getting summoned for Bed of Chaos, finished it in like 10 seconds. The guy was japanese and he sent me:

E X c e l l e n t ! !

Y o u s m o k i n g ! !

best compliment mail that I have ever recieved

Huge fan of the Souls series. I have a 205 soul level caster. 99 int, etc. I constantly get bodied in PvP (though I don't really play the game for PvP, so my build is just what I like--it wasn't to be competative). With that, I always just assumed that my build was terrible for PvP--is that true, or am I just playing it all wrong?

My opponents usually just dodge off of my castings--like seriously, 40-50 castings, they dodge every single one of them. Any tips?

Killphil

Huge fan of the Souls series. I have a 205 soul level caster. 99 int, etc. I constantly get bodied in PvP (though I don't really play the game for PvP, so my build is just what I like--it wasn't to be competative). With that, I always just assumed that my build was terrible for PvP--is that true, or am I just playing it all wrong?

My opponents usually just dodge off of my castings--like seriously, 40-50 castings, they dodge every single one of them. Any tips?
I'm going to be careful, before I get blown up for this. Use spells such as crystal soul mass or pursuers to give you a little room to breathe when you're in battle. Once a stat gets up to 40 points you start getting significantly less returns on each point spent afterwards, and as such those extra points are best put to other stats. You can also buff your weapon (as long as it isn't unique or modified) with crystal magic weapon to help when you're up close and personal. Casual pvp is full of people who fish for a backstab or the newest craze sweeping the game, dark magic. Speaking of dark magic, you should def. get that in the dlc if you have it. Yes, its slightly OP, but hell, we have cyrax in mk.

I would suggest a pyromancy flame for great combustion as well. Pyromancy isn't dependent on your intelligence, so basically everyone could have one. This is all for casual advice, I'm sure you'll get more detailed advice from Impose.

I'm going to be careful, before I get blown up for this. Use spells such as crystal soul mass or pursuers to give you a little room to breathe when you're in battle. Once a stat gets up to 40 points you start getting significantly less returns on each point spent afterwards, and as such those extra points are best put to other stats. You can also buff your weapon (as long as it isn't unique or modified) with crystal magic weapon to help when you're up close and personal. Casual pvp is full of people who fish for a backstab or the newest craze sweeping the game, dark magic. Speaking of dark magic, you should def. get that in the dlc if you have it. Yes, its slightly OP, but hell, we have cyrax in mk.

I would suggest a pyromancy flame for great combustion as well. Pyromancy isn't dependent on your intelligence, so basically everyone could have one. This is all for casual advice, I'm sure you'll get more detailed advice from Impose.
Thanks for the advice. I use Magic Weapon on an Enchanted Falcion +5, my understanding and testing leads me to believe this is one of the best scaling weapons for Int. I think I have a Scythe that is even better, but I find fighting with the Falcion much easier. (quicker strikes) But in the end, my character isn't really built for Melee, so I feel at disadvantage against melee builds (99% of people that invade me are melee characters).

I'm beginning to think I just suck lol.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Can anybody give me a list of some PvP viable strength weapons and why they are good?

Right now I have

Black Knight Greataxe +5
Man-Serpent Greatsword +15
Butcher Knife +15
Demon's Greataxe +15

and a Dragon Bone Fist +5 for fun

And for reference I'm

50 Strength
21 Dex
9 Int
10 Faith

Not the best build I'm assuming, but just going from that.

Impose

LEGEND

YES!
about to leave, but i'll check this thread when i get home

Feel free to tag me if any of you have questions

Impose

A Call For Blood
I'll answer the questions as I can and tag the people that I am answering
Son ov Timett Yeah I drive and Im certainly down for some casuals anytime bud

ERR0R MACR0 Casting in pvp is extremely risky in regards to actually using spells that cast.
Area of effect spells are the only real useful ones. I reccomend you try something like this. Do not lock on with spells. Bait people. If you notice the guy you're against likes to try and get in your face as you cast or even tries to roll stab you to punish (that is roll behind you as you are casting)

Unlock your camera. Aim with the left control stick. That is the best advice I could ever give a caster in PvP. Many of us who took the time to learn can aim spells and bow without locking on and hit constantly from distances.

LETHAL LEGEND You bad ;)

EGP Wonder_Chef Your build in regards to stat allocation is 100% fine. My strength build actually has almost those exact same stats.
Since you mentioned a lot of giant weapons I assume you went pure strength. For pure strength the demons greataxe cannot be surpassed in damage. It has the highest damage in this game of any weapon. Man Serpent Greatsword is the best (in my opinion) for a pure strength build. It's scaling is insane and its swing speed is beautiful.

That said I can make some minor reccomendations that you may be interested in. Instead of dropping a pure strength build in PvP (pure str builds are slightly weaker to dex and mix builds) try a heavy weapon with dex/str mix. The claymore for example you may like, its a greatsword that swings identically to MSGS on the R1. However, the claymores 2handed r2 is the best attack in this game and its one handed r2 is great for pokes.

With 40 str and 40 dex on a +15 claymore I think (I havent played in a bit so my exact numbers are off) is somewhere around 560 damage. PURE. Not mixed with an element. Pure physical damage, and physical damage is the lowest defense anyone has in pvp.

If you want me to go into the details of reasoning behind why the weapons are good I certainly will :)

EGP Wonder_Chef

EGP Wonder_Chef
That said I can make some minor reccomendations that you may be interested in. Instead of dropping a pure strength build in PvP (pure str builds are slightly weaker to dex and mix builds) try a heavy weapon with dex/str mix. The claymore for example you may like, its a greatsword that swings identically to MSGS on the R1. However, the claymores 2handed r2 is the best attack in this game and its one handed r2 is great for pokes.

With 40 str and 40 dex on a +15 claymore I think (I havent played in a bit so my exact numbers are off) is somewhere around 560 damage. PURE. Not mixed with an element. Pure physical damage, and physical damage is the lowest defense anyone has in pvp.

If you want me to go into the details of reasoning behind why the weapons are good I certainly will :)
Okay, so I pretty much have some decent stuff already. I figured these were some of the highest damage, but I was wondering what about their moveset was good and why.

I also kinda figured that pure strength was a little bit weak, I have a few other characters around SL100, and I can already tell the difference. I would change it up a bit for this one, but he's 125 already (is that the accepted cap?)

Also is the Claymore 2H R2 any diferent from the Man-Serpent Greatsword's? Visually it looks the same.

Impose

A Call For Blood
Okay, so I pretty much have some decent stuff already. I figured these were some of the highest damage, but I was wondering what about their moveset was good and why.

I also kinda figured that pure strength was a little bit weak, I have a few other characters around SL100, and I can already tell the difference. I would change it up a bit for this one, but he's 125 already (is that the accepted cap?)

Also is the Claymore 2H R2 any diferent from the Man-Serpent Greatsword's? Visually it looks the same.
Ok keep in mind that MSGS was amazing PRE patch for its insane recovery speed. As of this patch with the DLC I believe that all greatswords recovery swing speed has been slightly nerfed so that you cannot stunlock people anymore.

Strength isn't a WEAK PvP build. It's kind of like...using a mid tier character in a tournament with 11 kabals and you playing like....Ermac.
Your build isn't top tier but by no means is it weak. Just takes a bit more to make it work.

The reasoning behind the claymores 2h r2 is the dead angle and phantom range. What people do is 2h r1. Force people to block the strike. Then unlock. R2 to combo off the r1 and TURN their character. Because the sweep is so wide on the claymore you can dead angle with the sword like no tomorrow. It should also be noted that dead angles cannot be parried

Killphil

Impose can you explain these dead angles you speak of? I'm using the claymore for my current character. Also the nerf to the greatswords is actually quite substantial. If you have time pop in the game and try 2h with r1..just mash it and you'll see.

Impose

A Call For Blood
Impose can you explain these dead angles you speak of? I'm using the claymore for my current character. Also the nerf to the greatswords is actually quite substantial. If you have time pop in the game and try 2h with r1..just mash it and you'll see.
I'll give some more detailed descriptions of the post patch stuff once I can fully test it xD

But on too dead angles!

Alright. Quick lesson of dark souls PvP setup. Blocking. We all know what blocking is. You raise your shield and block an attack.

However. You can only block an attack that is coming from someone facing you. Makes sense. Someone can't smack you with a sword if someone isn't facing you. NAY!!!

The dead angle is a way to get around turtle players by abusing the long horizontal degree to which an attack is made.
The claymores r2 for example. If you unlock it. and you are facing your opponent like this

> <

the claymores swing will start v then go > then end ^
Causing the attack to be blocked.

However if you are facing like this

v < with you being the v. Your swing would go like this < v >

Because you are not facing the person, they cannot block your strike, but the wide swing of the claymore will still go into their hitbox registering a hit.

LEGEND

YES!
Can anybody give me a list of some PvP viable strength weapons and why they are good?

Right now I have

Black Knight Greataxe +5
Man-Serpent Greatsword +15
Butcher Knife +15
Demon's Greataxe +15

and a Dragon Bone Fist +5 for fun

And for reference I'm

50 Strength
21 Dex
9 Int
10 Faith

Not the best build I'm assuming, but just going from that.

Impose
the Great Club and Large club are both pretty decent, Not the most practical but they have massive damage and are loads of fun

MSGS, Claymore, and Black knight Sword and the GS version are the better options though, though Ultra Greatswords kinda suck ass now

elegie

Noob
Reading through this really makes me want to start up Dark Souls again, I just started when my ps3 died and have not given it another shot yet. Demon's Souls is one of my favorite games though, and it looks like Dark Souls enhanced many of the things I liked about that one. I assume the dlc is recommended, what is in it? Did I read correctly that it contains a new magic type? How is a faith build in Dark Souls? I probably had the most fun with that in Demon's.

EGP Wonder_Chef

the Great Club and Large club are both pretty decent, Not the most practical but they have massive damage and are loads of fun

MSGS, Claymore, and Black knight Sword and the GS version are the better options though, though Ultra Greatswords kinda suck ass now
Black Knight Sword is good even with it's (seemingly) really bad R2's?

Killphil

Reading through this really makes me want to start up Dark Souls again, I just started when my ps3 died and have not given it another shot yet. Demon's Souls is one of my favorite games though, and it looks like Dark Souls enhanced many of the things I liked about that one. I assume the dlc is recommended, what is in it? Did I read correctly that it contains a new magic type? How is a faith build in Dark Souls? I probably had the most fun with that in Demon's.
The dlc contains
Oolacile. I don't know if you've met Dusk yet, but she is not from the present time. You end up going back in time and you get to meet Artorias the Abysswalker. You need to save Oolacile from the spreading of the Abyss caused by the first primeval human; Manus. The dlc adds new everything to the game, even a way to make it harder. Abyss/Dark magic is the new magic, and its kinda OP. By no means is it unbeatable, but its a bitch. I recommend the dlc but I'm biased, hell, anyone here probably is.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Is there anything I should be using souls for once I hit my level cap?

I'm maxed out on things like arrows and homeward bones and such.