What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
To be honest I didn't think I'd find my main ever in this game, especially with Nightwolf not being in it, since that's literally all I played when I played MK9. But I think I finally found my main with Goro. Since I wasn't going for the Native American character this time around I just stuck with what I enjoyed in my characters. Which is the character having good wall carries, would preferably have a projectile (Doesn't have to be good.), good normals, possibly a command grab. (Nightwolf and Goro has all of these ;) ) So in a sense I tried to fill the void Nightwolf left with him not being in this game.

I tried Kano at first but after like a week of finding stuff and playing him more and more in Cybernetics and Commando, I just wasn't connecting to the character. Then I tried like half the cast until I landed on Goro. At first I didn't like him, I don't know what it was but after awhile when I was getting annoyed at playing Lackey Torr against my friend, I just said fuck it and picked Goro. Pretty much stayed ever since (Which was like 3 days ago lolol)

As far as my play style I would like to say I'm an aggressive player, I don't try to just go yolo, I don't like dive kicks or teleports or command dashes, I just like straight bullying you into the corner. So in a sense I have a grappler archetype, and I slowly work my way in through footsies. Then when I get in and get you in the corner, that's when I start doing things to just keep you there and bop you.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
this is spot on other than the part about only rushdown being viable. I really still cannot decide on a true main. I'm guessing it is 50% because of variations, and 50% because there is no char in the game that appeals to me greatly other than Kenshi; who didn't turn out well.
I'm not claiming that rush down is the only viable option, but this game seems to favor that playstyle over zoning. Some of the moves in this game really need to be ironed out. I mean Mileena can get fucking punished by Kung Lao for succesfully landing a teleport kick. Ermac's Mystic variation that is supposed to be dedicated to zoning gets punished 3/4 screen.

It's still so early, but as the game unfolds I hope we figure out a way to crush with some of these characters we are now writing off. It was disheartening to see that pigofthehut was dropping Kenshi. Kenshi shouldn't be getting that bodied at mid screen.

Now I'm getting into complaint territory so I'm gonna shut up. I'm just echoing a lot of what I've been hearing from the community, including high level players.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I'm dipping my toes into every character atm and the reason is because none of my favorite characters made it in. I'm trying out Mileena now, but meh.

Snoop

hey
Hello!
I was reading this forum for around a week or two, I'm new here (btw, greetings from Russia). I always thought that "select me a main character" topics are really strange and kinda noobish, but now I'm stucked too.. but with second (and further)... Let me start by saying that I played most UMk3/trilogy, so I'm mostly oldschool. I was bad in MK9 but looks like I have better abilities in MKX... it feels more natural.. something between MK3 and MK9 in fighting system.. My current main is Raiden (TG).. I actually never liked him before (and I've been playing since MK1)... but in this chapter I picked him suddenly and learned really fast... his combos are easy and powerful, good specials, many wall-carries, a lot of variety... everything really seems great and natural for me!
And I cannot find another "natural" fighter... everybody else are lacking something.. is it Raiden so easy and powerful? or others hard and weaker? for example usual Raiden mid-combo with 1 meter starting from some hits, then EX shocker, then few more hits - really easy and gives ~35%! I tried other fighters and same result (35%) is much harder to get, usually even with more hits needed and much more technical.
So maybe you have some advices for me.
I liked mostly Johnny Cage in MK9, robot Smoke, SZ (mk3), Nightwolf in MK3
I definetely don't like in MKX: Devora, Kotal Khan, Sonya, Shinnok,Ferra-Tor
I have some interest in, but not sure: Reptile, Jax, Kano, Kenshi, Smoke (ops)

Thanks for any tips in advance!

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
I play zoning characters. Kenshi is bad. I don't Iike kano and no one clicks with me.

I'm waiting for Predator and hope he has grenades.

Playing kung lao for a while till then

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Try out Jax if you want that hard hitting ish, he plays somewhat similar to Raiden in the sense that he hella damage once he gets you in the corner. Bojutsu Kung jin hits pretty hard too.

Spooky Deadeye

Project-6 β
Roster is awesome.
Everyone is good in their own way.
They all have their good and bad parts.
Everyone of them is a badass.
Some of us just can't seem to main one, because we have no clue who to even pick as our main.
Is hard to call one of many your main, because you grow to like that character and than the other and you get good with many characters, is hard to even pick who should be your main.

Pick one character that you really enjoy aesthetically, stick with them for a short time and then decide from there.

I started with Kitana, simply because I mained her in MK9 and I really enjoy the fan combo system. I didn't like her at first but the more I played her the less I though about switching characters. So I stuck with her and am happy with the results.

Since then I have began dabbling with Takeda, his B2 reminds me of Wonder Woman's B2 and I love the idea of a mid range spacing game. Just start with a character you like, put some time into them and then go from there based on the results. Eventually you will find one or two characters that you really enjoy playing.

Espio

Kokomo
I have a main, Green Tigrar Fury Goro. I chose him based on loyalty to the Shokans, he actually fits my burst damage playstyle and I wanted to main a male character again since I mained a female for the entirety of Injustice's life. Not to mention nobody piqued my interest quite like him.

Sonya and Cassie are vying for co-main status, but we shall see how that goes.

I like to play a pretty varied playstyle, not particularly linear so I prefer characters that can zone, oki , rushdown, and play footsies so the variations I chose kind of reflected that without me knowing it till I got the game :).

I do find it hard to space people out as much as I would like at the moment, but I'm sure once I actually get much more comfortable with the engine it won't be a big issue.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
I like to play aggressively defensive if that makes sense. I like having some sort of counter or parry move. Just something that makes the opponent think "I really have to watch out for that special. I like to control the pace of the match.

Smoke's Shake move from MK9 is one of my favorite specials of all time. I really enjoy the ice clone too but Sub-Zero doesn't have Smoke's mobility and plays a little too defensively for me. I also am not a fan of characters that rely heavily on corner combos.

So far, I've invested the most time into Ermac. He was my co-main in MK9 and if Vanish had a quicker recovery he would no doubt fit me perfectly, but it's not something I could really base my game off of. Scorpion is really awesome but so overused.

I'll probably end up picking Ermac, Sub Zero, Takeda or Mileena. If Smoke ends up being DLC, I'll almost definitely switch over to him.

Ι picked Subzero, Scorpion, Kitana and Raiden out of narrow minded loyalism, and I fear I'm not interested in anyone else, and that's fucked up.
Also my play style is struggling right now considering I mained Jade, Raiden and Sub in MK9. I'm forced to go all aggressive with Cryomancer and Thundergod - a thing i'm not familiar with yet…Or zone with Inferno. I'm so out of zoning mentality were I forget Scorpion's demons…only use the salty one

Indeed feels it's gonna grow as a rush-down massacre with 50/50's everywhere. Maybe this is a good thing

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Its not, ppl just bitch and bitch when their preferred character doesn't go their way or if it isn't a "Top-Tier" character. Smh, just choose one, train the fuck out of it, kick some ass, and repeat.

Beach

La mejor playa
I can understand that struggle, in MK9 I ended a Quan Chi main because I actually felt like I was out playing my opponent with mixups and what not with all the trance shenanigans as opposed to just throwing stuff out and hoping it works (started a f3...johnny cage player). The same thing happened in MKX, I started out as Quan Chi because character loyalty but just wasn't feeling any of his variations so I switched over to Kung Lao. My problem was I was just getting away online because I was just throwing out stuff that happened to work (glares at Ex spin) but would find myself losing to people who played smart. Now I'm on Erron Black and I have that MK9 quan feeling again and I have found I'm doing much better and I'm playing smarter. Sum of the story is don't feel wrong to try a ton of character until you find one that clicks.

Because people are trying to learn characters and not the game... Kind of backwards.

Also people put way too much emotional emphasis on finding a "main" like its some sort of long term relationship that once they recite their vows they can't choose another character.

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
I have already tried many characters and am still looking. Nobody is interesting me right now but I need to settle on one soon so I can start focusing and learning matchups

Snoop

hey
Tried Kung Jin few times.. he seems really powerful but I do not like how he looks lol. But I need to try.
Tried Jax a bit... cool at corner, but really hard midscreen. Doing dash punch DOWN in a combo is really pain. And you need it EX and run after... so its damn hard + online lag oh..

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
is it Raiden so easy and powerful?
Raiden does have ridiculous damage and fairly simple combos (God help you if he corners you and you guess wrong), but he is not easy to use effectively in a tournament.

I say this because Raiden is a character that thrives on the element of respect for his options and for your opponent's options, exactly like his MK9 incarnation. But utilizing this respect is something that comes with match-up knowledge and experience.

A great deal of Raiden's strings are either punishable or safe on negative frames (his only neutral strings are 3 4 and f2 2+4), so you will find yourself staggering your strings quite often in order to confuse the opponent, whether it be to go for throws or bait punish attempts. Your big damage comes from whiff punishes and mix-ups where you guess right, and the latter is commonly utilized off jump-ins and when the match has been taken to the corner. He also needs meter in order to make the most of his mix-up game and his wake-ups.

Chances are, you're doing as well as you are with Raiden because he fits your style, although I wouldn't know for sure as I have never seen you play.

Note: I'm using Displacer and have yet to touch the other two variations, so my post may vary depending on his capabilities in Thunder God or Master of Storms.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I actually started with Jax and I recently picked up Thunder God Raiden.

I think Jax would be a good second character for you to pick up.

Snoop

hey
Ye thank you guys for the tips. I played today Jax a bit and I like him and also I have farmer costume unlocked from my phone... so I need to play him! :D
Looks like I will pick him. BUT the mid-combos are too hard, even offline

Raiden does have ridiculous damage and fairly simple combos (God help you if he corners you and you guess wrong), but he is not easy to use effectively in a tournament.

I say this because Raiden is a character that thrives on the element of respect for his options and for your opponent's options, exactly like his MK9 incarnation. But utilizing this respect is something that comes with match-up knowledge and experience.

A great deal of Raiden's strings are either punishable or safe on negative frames (his only neutral strings are 3 4 and f2 2+4), so you will find yourself staggering your strings quite often in order to confuse the opponent, whether it be to go for throws or bait punish attempts. Your big damage comes from whiff punishes and mix-ups where you guess right, and the latter is commonly utilized off jump-ins and when the match has been taken to the corner. He also needs meter in order to make the most of his mix-up game and his wake-ups.

Chances are, you're doing as well as you are with Raiden because he fits your style, although I wouldn't know for sure as I have never seen you play.

Note: I'm using Displacer and have yet to touch the other two variations, so my post may vary depending on his capabilities in Thunder God or Master of Storms.
well I'm not going to be on pro level or tournament. Just some online play, which is easier ofc. I'm winning most of the matches with Raiden now, but the players are really bad now too. Fun is the main factor