What's new

The difference between MKT N64 and MKT PS

MKK hanzo

When you are swept in N64 MKT, again this is from my memory years ago and I could be wrong, you are locked onto the ground. In MKII if you are swept, you have to respect the next sweep and block. I don't remember if it's exactly this bad but I do remember being locked down on sweeps.
Ohhhhh the recovery when you are swept ok ok ha. Yes you can jump but certain stuff will get you, specially the whiffed combos in air can score 2 or 3 juggles on you. But yes, you can jump out of the floor after being swept.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I see what you mean. Well I guess you can swing by Phil's one of these days and test out both versions with us. I think Phil has every single version of MKT (including the Greatest Hits Version, PC, and Sega Saturn.) LOL.
Yeah I need to make it a point to come by. Ideally, I would like to have emulated MKT on PSX so I can play on stick and use the UMK3 frame rate, and a CD with the correct soundtrack from MK3, not the slowed down MKT musics. For some reason MKII music was right though.

Last edited:

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Its because the Bosses are in the game of the PS version isnt it? well in every torunement you can tell ppl to not use bosses simple. If they dont listen you can disqualify them, JUST SAYING

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
One thing I was always curious about was the Gamecube version of MKD, apparently Dairou's TSD got nerfed tenfold, but I dunno if that was just wishful thinking taken out of context lol.
Dairou's TSD was nerfed and made slower, but it was still hella good. They also removed BRC's free combo after a throw, but you still had to respect either another throw or f3 after so it was just as bad lol

When you are swept in N64 MKT, again this is from my memory years ago and I could be wrong, you are locked onto the ground. In MKII if you are swept, you have to respect the next sweep and block. I don't remember if it's exactly this bad but I do remember being locked down on sweeps.
Interesting... I always hated that about MKII and was happy it was gone in MK3/U/T. I don't have my N64 hooked up or I would go check it right now. Anyone want to check on this?

MKK hanzo

Dairou's TSD was nerfed and made slower, but it was still hella good. They also removed BRC's free combo after a throw, but you still had to respect either another throw or f3 after so it was just as bad lol
Konqrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sup?

Man I would LOVE an "in depth" list of differences between the PS2/XBX and GC versions of MKD. Check might know too?

Respect!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
REO has forgotten that not only Ermac but Smoke and Scorp in N64 version, their tele has less cooldown, but in the PS version is just like in UMK3.
Kung Lao's from N64 spin also depending of how many hits you do, you can repeat it, in PS version is not possible.

I'm not sure which one came first, but it gives the impression that the PS version is a nerfed version of MKT

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Nightwolf rundown on PS is also much faster if i'm not mistaken, Far HK is among the fastest in the game if not the fastest, very long reaching and has the fastest recovery, his close HK combo string starter is just insane.

Rain's Super RH on PS was nerfed, he recovers better on N64 version
Mileena air Sai Throw can be repeately thrown because the charge time is about 1 second or very close to that.
not sure if kano has the Random ball in all MKT versions tho.

Jax Corner Combos in PS version are much dificult to pull trough, in N64 version Dash punch in the corner granted another aaHP dash punch before backbreacker, in PS version you can only do 1 dash punch, and the frame for the backbreaker is hard to pull off.

Also, landing limit breaker combo (pull a spear on the 5th hit) is still possible.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Nightwolf rundown on PS is also much faster if i'm not mistaken, Far HK is among the fastest in the game if not the fastest, very long reaching and has the fastest recovery, his close HK combo string starter is just insane.

Rain's Super RH on PS was nerfed, he recovers better on N64 version
Mileena air Sai Throw can be repeately thrown because the charge time is about 1 second or very close to that.
not sure if kano has the Random ball in all MKT versions tho.

Jax Corner Combos in PS version are much dificult to pull trough, in N64 version Dash punch in the corner granted another aaHP dash punch before backbreacker, in PS version you can only do 1 dash punch, and the frame for the backbreaker is hard to pull off.

Also, landing limit breaker combo (pull a spear on the 5th hit) is still possible.

REO

Undead
Squeezed in a few more edits before work. Thanks again for posting, guys!

Shock, Konqrr, I will test the sweep frame traps next Friday. I hope they do exist in the N64 version. With all other normals being beefed up on N64 version, it make it less of a linear jab fest than UMK3 and MKT on PS version.

Also does anyone know how Aggressor mode makes you "faster"? It says on the wiki that Aggressor mode gives you more damage and speed. But how does it make you faster? Less run meter depletion? Movement speed bonus? If someone could clarify as to what the specifics are, that would be neat.

Kakashi

Noob
I would like to see REO playing against us Dominicans in MKT N64. He will see what the true level in that game. We are broken in that game. :cool:

Is Shang still a low tier in both of these versions?He never had as large range of morphs as in PS MKT. I mean for PS he can morph into bosses too. But you can choose your counter pick morphs:)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Konqrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sup?

Man I would LOVE an "in depth" list of differences between the PS2/XBX and GC versions of MKD. Check might know too?

Respect!
I think Check quit MK and the community due to the hate he was getting.

I think he and I made a full list somewhere with this information, but off the top of my head they slowed down TSD, removed OTG combo from BRC throw (but kept Noob, Tanya, and Darrius's throw OTG combos wtf lol), and scaled Shujinko's damage sort of like DP in UMK3. His normal BnB 50% combos did only 24% or something... but we discovered how to get 50%+ again off the same setups and life was grand. They may have tweaked Noob-Smoke as well, but I don't remember... perhaps removing the free throw off of d1 on hit.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'd love to play some good players in N64 MKT, such a great game. MKT > UMK3

imo UMK3 > MKT just because MKT is broken to shit ;___;...
Honestly, there's only a few more broken aspects in MKT than UMK3. MKT gets a lot of unnecessary hate based on ignorance. If MKT was as popular here in the USA as UMK3 was, I think MKT would have garnered more interest and would still be alive, unlike UMK3. MKT is twice as much fun to play and three times more fun to watch!

Could someone elaborate on "Ermac does more damage than N64 version"? His specials do more damage or he does more damage because of speed difference?
I'd love to play some good players in N64 MKT, such a great game. MKT > UMK3
I agree. N64 MKT was so much fun. Before getting into UMK3 on XBL, I was playing N64 MKT for YEARS with my friends and family.
I've been playing that since 1996/1997 and I still have it. In fact, Imma go play it right now :)..........vs. the CPU :(............but on a reliable Nintendo D-pad :D