What's new

The death of the Uppercut.

K3DC

Noob
Why use it? It has its place in IGAU, but it's pretty useless in MK. Why uppercut when you can juggle your opponent into a combo with a standing 1? Since uppercuts aren't competitively viable, what should D2 be in MK10? Personally, I don't even want them to buff the uppercuts, I think the air juggles look much cooler.

Glass Sword

Nobody
Uppercuts were great for some characters. Freddy Kruger had an excellent uppercut which beat all jump kicks and was the go to anti-air against Kitana. Rain could also had uppercuts in his bnb combo.
Other characters like Cage and Sonya also had stupid fast uppercuts that were good for crossups. Well if you did not want to risk a d1.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Now, if you would've said, "The death of Noob's uppercut" then sure.

coolwhip

Noob
Depends on the character. Quan Chi's uppercut was a pretty important aspect of his (limited) game. Characters with fast uppercuts were able to use it to stuff to fight cross-ups, which are ridiculously good in MK. If you don't want to risk an anti crossover D1 with say, Johnny Cage, then uppercut is a decent choice. Like everything else, it has its uses.

killa_solid

Friendly--foe
Since mk9 moved toward an armor heavy/dependant game through patches, I never understood why no armor braker moves were implemented. Imo uppercuts would be a great choice for th game's universal armor breaker since it provides for a good risk/reward game.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Why use it? It has its place in IGAU, but it's pretty useless in MK. Why uppercut when you can juggle your opponent into a combo with a standing 1? Since uppercuts aren't competitively viable, what should D2 be in MK10? Personally, I don't even want them to buff the uppercuts, I think the air juggles look much cooler.
Sonya and AK GamerBlake would like a word with you.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Please tell me you're joking.

YOU COULD EVEN COMBO OFF OF SONYA'S UPPERCUT AT FUCKING MIDSCREEN IF YOU HIT THE OPPONENT HIGH ENOUGH IN THE AIR, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

And some characters have uppercuts that serve as excellent anti-airs, like Sonya and Kung Lao.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
As others have said, having a 7 frame uppercut in mk9 made it very useful. Not as a head on anti air in most cases, but a decent anti cross up and useful in punishing things such as Jax f4 mixups.